Jameis Winston suspension?

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: Jameis Winston suspension?

Postby Ice » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:27 am

Winston isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer but he is not going anywhere. He has all the tools to be very good but needs to mature and not have anymore issues once this suspension is over.

Not a chance Fitzpatrick will cause a QB controversy even if he goes undefeated while Winston is sidelined. Tampa is fortunate to have Fitzpatrick as the #2. He is really good in short bursts.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

osubuckeyeman
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby osubuckeyeman » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:33 am

How is this different than Zeke? 3 games?? He got off lucky.

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:42 am

No way does Tampa move on from Winston now based on current set of facts. Now, do they use their leverage in this case to make him sweat like the dog that he is? It would surprise me if we don't start hearing stuff from the Bucs like "no guarantees Winston gets the starting job back" or "he'll have to earn it", yada, yada. They'd be idiots not to use that leverage for Winston's own good.

This guy has a problem. That much is becoming abundantly clear. I can't help but wonder what else is lurking in his recent past. It wouldn't take much more for the rhetoric about the Bucs moving on to turn serious. One more uber-like incident is all it would take.

Then again, if nothing else surfaces, I think he survives this pretty easily. Too good a QB, too young, too much invested in him, with a coaching staff that desperately needs him.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:24 am

Phaded wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:48 am Just because you have a lot of turnovers it does not mean you cannot have a long career in the NFL or that you are going to be a bad fantasy producer. Winston has had 44 interceptions - for context, Favre had 51 through his first three years. Most leagues do not weigh interceptions heavily for fantasy, which helps a guy like Winston.
Completely agree that a QB can be useful in fantasy despite being thoroughly adequate, and that a QB can have a long career despite a plentiful of turnovers. Cutler provides a good blueprint.

I don't think whether a player is useful in fantasy is the best test to determine whether they'll be employed in the NFL. Otherwise, Dez Bryant, Demarco Murray, Eric Reid and Tre Boston would be on a team.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

osubuckeyeman
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby osubuckeyeman » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:40 pm

pvillebiker wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:42 am No way does Tampa move on from Winston now based on current set of facts. Now, do they use their leverage in this case to make him sweat like the dog that he is? It would surprise me if we don't start hearing stuff from the Bucs like "no guarantees Winston gets the starting job back" or "he'll have to earn it", yada, yada. They'd be idiots not to use that leverage for Winston's own good.

This guy has a problem. That much is becoming abundantly clear. I can't help but wonder what else is lurking in his recent past. It wouldn't take much more for the rhetoric about the Bucs moving on to turn serious. One more uber-like incident is all it would take.

Then again, if nothing else surfaces, I think he survives this pretty easily. Too good a QB, too young, too much invested in him, with a coaching staff that desperately needs him.
I agree with all of this BUT his dynasty value will take a hit regardless. If he has another issue he could get a ban from the NFL or at the very least a whole season. Winston is squarely in the Gordon and Bryant grouping of risk now.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:29 pm

osubuckeyeman wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:40 pm
pvillebiker wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:42 am No way does Tampa move on from Winston now based on current set of facts. Now, do they use their leverage in this case to make him sweat like the dog that he is? It would surprise me if we don't start hearing stuff from the Bucs like "no guarantees Winston gets the starting job back" or "he'll have to earn it", yada, yada. They'd be idiots not to use that leverage for Winston's own good.

I agree with all of this BUT his dynasty value will take a hit regardless. If he has another issue he could get a ban from the NFL or at the very least a whole season. Winston is squarely in the Gordon and Bryant grouping of risk now.
Yes but no, he’s a qb

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:31 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:17 am
Jason3123 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:33 pm
Pullo Vision wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:40 pm
I agree that moving on would/could be silly, but the silliness doesn't come from this forum but from decision makers in the NFL. Dallas watching Dez for years since his injury and seeing his decline but making no effort to groom a replacement or augment the WR corps- that was silly. NE grooming Jimmy Garroppolo for years then trading him was silly. Eli getting benched and nearly cut was silly. All these developments make (some) sense if you understand their organizational structure.

It's just a question of anticipating the next silly move they make. Drafting Winston with the 1st overall then bailing as you're trying to develop him would be silly, but if they struggle, they could clear house. A new HC and FO staff wouldn't be tied to him. Alternately, they could bring in a Sean McVay type, who got a much better season from Goff than expected.
I’ll be the first to say most teams have zero clue of what they’re doing but suggesting to bench a young QB entering his 4th year who’s played pretty well for Ryan bleep Fitzpatrick is beyond silly, it’s flat out dumb. And I will call you out for saying said dumb bleep.
Ha. Get straight who you're talking to first. All I've said is they could move on, not whether they should... currently.

Seems you're making judgements without any knowledge. How many turnovers is Winston at now?

If I did say anything about benching Winston, I said for Ryan GRIFFIN, not Fitzpatrick.
Wasn't talking "about" you. As for the turnovers thing, don't be silly. Of course he has lots of turnovers, he's a young QB trying to do too much at times. Last year was his best int% rate too. He obviously needs to work on turning the ball over but that *should* come with age. It takes most QB's YEARS to master the position. Most QB's seem to be having career years now around 35+ years old. Stafford is just now peaking and it took like 10 years. People need to stop throwing young QB's under the bus. Especially ones who are premium/high picks because they typically end up in garbage situations or dumpster fire teams.

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:34 am

ninotoreS wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:31 pm
Jason3123 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:30 am His football play was good last year considering the dumpster fire that team was.
That dumpster fire team was projected to win their division. It's a talented roster, especially on offense. Winston had plenty of help.
Jason3123 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:30 am Even more laughable that you think they would bench him for Fitz.
Logical -- albeit unlikely -- scenarios have been speculated regarding this, but evidently you have no actual counter-points to offer.
I don't need a logical counterpoint because it's illogical to think they would bench him for Fitzpatrick. This scenario won't happen, so it's not worth the keystrokes. Also, projections are pretty worthless in hindsight. Clearly they were wrong about the team. It was not Winston's fault they eroded.

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:05 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:40 pmAlternately, they could bring in a Sean McVay type, who got a much better season from Goff than expected.
What do you mean by "Sean McVay type?"

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:42 pm

There is a huge difference between a gunslinger like Favre who would turn the ball over because he thought his elite arm could beat any tight window of coverage to make a play and a QB who often cannot read defenses correctly and throws passes in error as a result. Winston also has a penchant for making absolutely horrible decisions when under pressure. He simply is not that good. The position of QB has a huge mental component and Winston is lacking. His judgement both on and off the field for years has shown this. It is not a one time isolated incident, it is a pattern which is very easy to see if owners are willing. The NFL front office sent out a very clear message of how it views Winston going forward. Any fantasy owners who do not take heed have no one to blame but themselves.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:15 pm

dm1129 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:42 pm There is a huge difference between a gunslinger like Favre who would turn the ball over because he thought his elite arm could beat any tight window of coverage to make a play and a QB who often cannot read defenses correctly and throws passes in error as a result. Winston also has a penchant for making absolutely horrible decisions when under pressure. He simply is not that good. The position of QB has a huge mental component and Winston is lacking. His judgement both on and off the field for years has shown this. It is not a one time isolated incident, it is a pattern which is very easy to see if owners are willing. The NFL front office sent out a very clear message of how it views Winston going forward. Any fantasy owners who do not take heed have no one to blame but themselves.
I have always thoughts Winston was overrated as a QB (for real life, not fantasy) but the "front office" is going to use this as leverage in contract negotiations. You'll be hearing negative stuff on him come out from now until his contract is done.

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:48 am

osubuckeyeman wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:40 pm

Agree that Winston is the QB equivalent of Gordon & Martavis Bryant. Which is weird, but true. Although, QB's seem to get more chances. No doubt Winston's dynasty value is dropping. I mean would anybody legit take him over Mariota or Goff now?

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:30 pm

Lotto4Life wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:05 pm
Pullo Vision wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:40 pmAlternately, they could bring in a Sean McVay type, who got a much better season from Goff than expected.
What do you mean by "Sean McVay type?"
Offensive whiz kid type. Not saying he is one, just some think that. Some attributing Goff's improved statistical performance to McVay and his scheme. Seen some calling it the Shanahan/Gruden tree, and Tennessee wanted a piece of it by bringing in LaFleur.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:06 pm

Jason3123 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:31 am
Pullo Vision wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:17 am
Jason3123 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:33 pm I’ll be the first to say most teams have zero clue of what they’re doing but suggesting to bench a young QB entering his 4th year who’s played pretty well for Ryan bleep Fitzpatrick is beyond silly, it’s flat out dumb. And I will call you out for saying said dumb bleep.
Ha. Get straight who you're talking to first. All I've said is they could move on, not whether they should... currently.

Seems you're making judgements without any knowledge. How many turnovers is Winston at now?

If I did say anything about benching Winston, I said for Ryan GRIFFIN, not Fitzpatrick.
Wasn't talking "about" you.
When you say "I will call you out for saying said dumb bleep.", make certain you're talking to and quoting the right person.

More importantly, you calling out ANYONE for suggesting an idea you don't agree with makes you deserving of being roasted. Nino gave a reasonable basis for Fitzpatrick starting after Winston's suspension technically ends. If you can't grasp it, it can certainly be explained to you in more painstaking detail. Your inability to understand the process that could make that happen says more about you and your closed-mindedness than if the idea is far-fetched.

joeylitz
Role Player
Role Player

Postby joeylitz » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:44 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:06 pmLots of smart stuff ^
:clap:
2016 Frozen Tundra Dynasty League Champions
12 Team Dynasty, PPR, 1QB-2RB-3WR-1TE-1FLEX-1PK-1DST

QB: Brees. Wentz, Winston, Rudolph
RB: L. Bell, J. Conner, Michel. McKinnon, L. Miller, Montgomery, T. Riddick, Prosise, J. Conner,
WR: A. Robinson, Woods, M. Jones, Godwin, Boyd, Crabtree, Moncrief, Gabriel, C. Henderson, J. Washington, J. Moore
TE: D. Walker. Hooper, I. Thomas
K: Elliott
DST: DEN. KC

Draft:
1.08: Hockenson
2.08: JAWS
3.08: