Jameis Winston suspension?

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Jameis Winston suspension?

Postby Phaded » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:26 pm

I would be very surprised if they move on from Winston.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:33 pm

League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:49 pm

The offseason.. The time for clickbait titles - when you read the article it gets ridiculous pretty quick. The Monday night thing makes SOME sense but then after that it gets a little silly but then again - it is PFT.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:44 pm

Not starting week 4 has merit, from quote football perspective. Cutting Winston was the opposite of a solid football decision, and the fools arguing otherwise I easily dismissed. Was surprised to see a Tampa sports writer argue it, and linked in that PFT article- http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/2018 ... s-winston/

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:01 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:44 pm Was surprised to see a Tampa sports writer argue it, and linked in that PFT article- http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/2018 ... s-winston/
That guy clearly does not have Winston on any of his dynasty teams.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:46 am

I think there probably would be a QB controversy in Tampa if the Bucs emerge from Week 3 undefeated with Fitzmagic at the helm.

But what are the odds of that?
Phaded wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:49 pm The offseason.. The time for clickbait titles - when you read the article it gets ridiculous pretty quick. The Monday night thing makes SOME sense but then after that it gets a little silly but then again - it is PFT.
It may indeed be clickbait, but the second scenario discussed isn't silly at all.

But I disagree that the first scenario makes any sense. There's no reason to keep Winston benched another week just because it's a short week. Winston has been running the offense for three years. He won't need extra practice reps to be ready.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:54 am

ninotoreS wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:46 am I think there probably would be a QB controversy in Tampa if the Bucs emerge from Week 3 undefeated with Fitzmagic at the helm.

I would think Tampa would be hesitant to buy into a career journeyman after their experiment with McCown a few years back. Fitz is an excellent backup, but isn't consistent enough to be a starter. I'm also not sure how any legitimate scouting department could be placing Winston in RGIII territory already.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:07 am

Tampa has a horrendous schedule at the beginning- Philly, New Orleans and Pittsburgh. Can't see them starting 3-0. Chicago seems their 1st winnable game.
ericanadian wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:54 am
ninotoreS wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:46 am I think there probably would be a QB controversy in Tampa if the Bucs emerge from Week 3 undefeated with Fitzmagic at the helm.

I would think Tampa would be hesitant to buy into a career journeyman after their experiment with McCown a few years back. Fitz is an excellent backup, but isn't consistent enough to be a starter. I'm also not sure how any legitimate scouting department could be placing Winston in RGIII territory already.
There was that odd talk about how much they like Ryan Griffin. Could they really give him extended snaps to prepare for a post-Winston (and Koetter) world?

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:05 am

ericanadian wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:54 am I would think Tampa would be hesitant to buy into a career journeyman after their experiment with McCown a few years back. Fitz is an excellent backup, but isn't consistent enough to be a starter. I'm also not sure how any legitimate scouting department could be placing Winston in RGIII territory already.
No problems with your reasoning, but you also gotta factor how important these first three games are. If the Bucs emerge from them undefeated (and no one is expecting them to, and indeed even with Wintson they were projected to lose all of them), then their whole season outlook changes. They probably go from being perceived as no-counts to being considered post-hype contenders. If, in this scenario, Fitzmagic's play is essential to those wins, Tampa will feel the pressure to not upset the 'groove' by putting Winston back in ASAP.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:30 am

Winston was pretty solid last season but people dislike him for their own personal reasons. His football play was good last year considering the dumpster fire that team was. The thought of Tampa moving on after 4 years is absurd and shows the silliness on this board. Even more laughable that you think they would bench him for Fitz. He will be a Buc for a long time.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:40 pm

Jason3123 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:30 am Winston was pretty solid last season but people dislike him for their own personal reasons. His football play was good last year considering the dumpster fire that team was. The thought of Tampa moving on after 4 years is absurd and shows the silliness on this board. Even more laughable that you think they would bench him for Fitz. He will be a Buc for a long time.
I agree that moving on would/could be silly, but the silliness doesn't come from this forum but from decision makers in the NFL. Dallas watching Dez for years since his injury and seeing his decline but making no effort to groom a replacement or augment the WR corps- that was silly. NE grooming Jimmy Garroppolo for years then trading him was silly. Eli getting benched and nearly cut was silly. All these developments make (some) sense if you understand their organizational structure.

It's just a question of anticipating the next silly move they make. Drafting Winston with the 1st overall then bailing as you're trying to develop him would be silly, but if they struggle, they could clear house. A new HC and FO staff wouldn't be tied to him. Alternately, they could bring in a Sean McVay type, who got a much better season from Goff than expected.

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:33 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:40 pm
Jason3123 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:30 am Winston was pretty solid last season but people dislike him for their own personal reasons. His football play was good last year considering the dumpster fire that team was. The thought of Tampa moving on after 4 years is absurd and shows the silliness on this board. Even more laughable that you think they would bench him for Fitz. He will be a Buc for a long time.
I agree that moving on would/could be silly, but the silliness doesn't come from this forum but from decision makers in the NFL. Dallas watching Dez for years since his injury and seeing his decline but making no effort to groom a replacement or augment the WR corps- that was silly. NE grooming Jimmy Garroppolo for years then trading him was silly. Eli getting benched and nearly cut was silly. All these developments make (some) sense if you understand their organizational structure.

It's just a question of anticipating the next silly move they make. Drafting Winston with the 1st overall then bailing as you're trying to develop him would be silly, but if they struggle, they could clear house. A new HC and FO staff wouldn't be tied to him. Alternately, they could bring in a Sean McVay type, who got a much better season from Goff than expected.
I’ll be the first to say most teams have zero clue of what they’re doing but suggesting to bench a young QB entering his 4th year who’s played pretty well for Ryan bleep Fitzpatrick is beyond silly, it’s flat out dumb. And I will call you out for saying said dumb bleep.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:31 pm

Jason3123 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:30 am His football play was good last year considering the dumpster fire that team was.
That dumpster fire team was projected to win their division. It's a talented roster, especially on offense. Winston had plenty of help.
Jason3123 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:30 am Even more laughable that you think they would bench him for Fitz.
Logical -- albeit unlikely -- scenarios have been speculated regarding this, but evidently you have no actual counter-points to offer.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:17 am

Jason3123 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:33 pm
Pullo Vision wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:40 pm

I’ll be the first to say most teams have zero clue of what they’re doing but suggesting to bench a young QB entering his 4th year who’s played pretty well for Ryan bleep Fitzpatrick is beyond silly, it’s flat out dumb. And I will call you out for saying said dumb bleep.
Ha. Get straight who you're talking to first. All I've said is they could move on, not whether they should... currently.

Seems you're making judgements without any knowledge. How many turnovers is Winston at now?

If I did say anything about benching Winston, I said for Ryan GRIFFIN, not Fitzpatrick.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:48 am

Just because you have a lot of turnovers it does not mean you cannot have a long career in the NFL or that you are going to be a bad fantasy producer. Winston has had 44 interceptions - for context, Favre had 51 through his first three years. Most leagues do not weigh interceptions heavily for fantasy, which helps a guy like Winston.