Burton vs Kittle vs Gesicki

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.

Assuming equal price, which TE do you want long-term?

Trey Burton
42%
George Kittle
30%
Mike Gesicki
28%

Total votes: 67

Life of Pablo
Starter
Starter

Burton vs Kittle vs Gesicki

Postby Life of Pablo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:19 am

Happy hump day y'all, let's kill some time by debating over our favorite young upside TE.

This is a general question and should be answered as such in a relative vacuum, but I will post my own personal conundrum for context. I have a stacked team but, being in a shallow league, Gronk is the one and only TE on my roster. After passing on the big 3 TE's last year for D'Onta Foreman (I say a prayer for his Achilles every night by my bedside), and after hearing non-stop Gronk retirement rumors this offseason, it is time I invest in my hopeful TE of the future.

I own the 2.10 pick (20th overall) and I plan on using it on one of the TE's mentioned in the title: Trey Burton, George Kittle, or Mike Gesicki. No guarantee that all three will be available of course, but I expect at least one if not two of them to be there at my pick.

I'm a believer in Gronk staying healthy, so 2018 production is not much of a priority to me, though it'd be nice to have for the bye week + inevitable couple games that Gronk will miss.

Right now I'm leaning Gesicki, as the draft capital + lack of Dolphins receiving options makes me confident that he will be a focal point of their passing game if he pans out. Probably the biggest risk, but also the highest upside which I value more in a shallow 10-team league (Burton and Kittle being FA's at the end of 2017 is evidence of that).

-------------------------------

So what do you guys think? Should I be taking a longer look at Burton and Kittle who have a little more certainty to them, not to mention both of them being in rising offenses tied to young hopefully-franchise QB's? Burton inked the big contract which implies big usage, and Kittle's building off a very strong finish to 2017 with Jimmy G, and among rookies he was quietly the 2nd best fantasy TE after Engram. Maybe I'm factoring draft capital too much into this one.

Last thing I'll mention is that this is non-PPR, so TD/redzone usage matters to me a lot. I think that's a minor ding to Burton, at least compared to Kittle/Gesicki.
10-team standard, 18-man rosters (plus K/D + 1 IR + 2 TAXI)
1QB | 2RB | 2WR | 1TE | 1FLEX
2021: 8-6, 5th (AP: 76-50 / 60.3%, 3rd) ||| Runner-up
2022: 5-1, 2nd (AP: 47-7 / 87.0%, 1st)

QB: Hurts, Russ, Carr
RB: Chubb, Pierce, Swift, JRob, D'Ernest, Ford
WR: Diggs, Evans, GDavis, Nuk, Keenan, Hollywood, Mooney, CSamuel, Doubs
TE: Kelce, Dulcich, Fant
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
2024 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Burton vs Kittle vs Gesicki

Postby BigBawseRoss » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:23 am

burton got PAID he is gonna be utilized and has already looked great as a pro. he would be my choice
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

sammyz
Role Player
Role Player

Postby sammyz » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:34 am

I think Gesicki has the highest ceiling for sure. His measureables were ridiculous, and college production was ridiculous. TE is the 1 position where combine performance tracks really really well with NFL success. He might also bust and never be able to adjust to the NFL game, but he is likely (in my mind) to be the most likely true stud of the bunch.

I own Burton and think he'll be great this year, I plan to sell him when I have the chance.

I had Kittle and dropped him. I'm only in a 10 team league and while he was fine, he wasn't a stud, and I don't anticipate seeing TOO much more out of him than what we saw last year. SF picked up a few more weapons and I just don't see him getting the kind of usage to translate to true long term success.
QBs: Dak Prescott, Teddy Bridgewater, Taysom Hill, Jameis Winston, Jalen Hurts, Andy Dalton
RBS: CMC, Miles Sanders, Gurley, JK Dobbins, AJ Dillon, Lamical Perine, Ito Smith
WRS: Godwin, DJ Moore, Juju, Keenan Allen, Diggs, McLaurin, Dionte Johnson, Jalen Reagor, Bryan Edwards, Brandon Aiyuk, Tim Patrick
TEs: Mark Andrews, TJ Hockenson, Irv Smith
DEF:Miami

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:58 am

I second Gesicki. I would usually lean proven production but his elite measurables, draft capital, plus his virtually locked in TE1 status on Miami tip the scales for me. I like Burton but he and Adam Shaheen both being locked into long term contracts makes me nervous for Burton's per game production for the foreseeable future, and a developing Shaheen has the potential to eat into whatever production he may see over time.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

Johnny Canuck
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Johnny Canuck » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:02 am

GridironGuerilla wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:58 am I second Gesicki. I would usually lean proven production but his elite measurables, draft capital, plus his virtually locked in TE1 status on Miami tip the scales for me. I like Burton but he and Adam Shaheen both being locked into long term contracts makes me nervous for Burton's per game production for the foreseeable future, and a developing Shaheen has the potential to eat into whatever production he may see over time.
^this for me.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:02 am

Gesicki has incredible upside.

He looks to be the next gen type TE/H Back. See him as a player that lines in the slot often. There is an obvious change going on at the TE position. Gesicki is an Engram type on steroids.

His combine was unbelievable. He has a lot of prototype WR qualities.

I read he was taller than Calvin, Faster than A. Brown, and had a better vertical than OBJ. I haven't confirmed all that due to time but will say his biggest negative is blocking which I doubt Miami cares much as he will be used in space the vast majority of time IMO.

I am buying this player whenever possible. With Landry now gone this player could break the mold from most TE's before him and have a huge contribution as a rookie.

I have a mid first round grade on him in fantasy and IMO he is a steal since he can be had for late first or early 2nd.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Life of Pablo
Starter
Starter

Postby Life of Pablo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:41 am

Ice wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:02 am Gesicki has incredible upside.

He looks to be the next gen type TE/H Back. See him as a player that lines in the slot often. There is an obvious change going on at the TE position. Gesicki is an Engram type on steroids.

I read he was taller than Calvin, Faster than A. Brown, and had a better vertical than OBJ. I haven't confirmed all that due to time but will say his biggest negative is blocking which I doubt Miami cares much as he will be used in space the vast majority of time IMO.

I am buying this player whenever possible. With Landry now gone this player could break the mold from most TE's before him and have a huge contribution as a rookie.

I have a mid first round grade on him in fantasy and IMO he is a steal since he can be had for late first or early 2nd.
Damn, that is a glowing opinion of him lol. As someone who was already leaning Gesicki, that makes me think I should trade up in the 2nd to ensure that I get him (absolute earliest I can see him going in our draft is 2.04). The good thing is that, being in a league of 100% Eagles fans, I expect Trey Burton to be on everyone's radars before Gesicki.

The comments are pretty pro-Gesicki so far, any non-believers out there? And would it have more to do with not liking Gesicki specifically, not liking rookie TE's in general, or not liking the Dolphins offense?
10-team standard, 18-man rosters (plus K/D + 1 IR + 2 TAXI)
1QB | 2RB | 2WR | 1TE | 1FLEX
2021: 8-6, 5th (AP: 76-50 / 60.3%, 3rd) ||| Runner-up
2022: 5-1, 2nd (AP: 47-7 / 87.0%, 1st)

QB: Hurts, Russ, Carr
RB: Chubb, Pierce, Swift, JRob, D'Ernest, Ford
WR: Diggs, Evans, GDavis, Nuk, Keenan, Hollywood, Mooney, CSamuel, Doubs
TE: Kelce, Dulcich, Fant
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
2024 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:51 am

Gesicki for me too. Big fan and there’s so many targets available in Miami plus no real threat to play ahead of him. I think he makes the most sense being that you have Gronk, since you don’t necessarily need immediate production.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:24 pm

Life of Pablo wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:41 am
Ice wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:02 am Gesicki has incredible upside.

Damn, that is a glowing opinion of him lol. As someone who was already leaning Gesicki, that makes me think I should trade up in the 2nd to ensure that I get him (absolute earliest I can see him going in our draft is 2.04). The good thing is that, being in a league of 100% Eagles fans, I expect Trey Burton to be on everyone's radars before Gesicki.

The comments are pretty pro-Gesicki so far, any non-believers out there? And would it have more to do with not liking Gesicki specifically, not liking rookie TE's in general, or not liking the Dolphins offense?
FYI,

I made a big trade a few months ago to move into 2.3 as part of a deal to draft him there. I was fortunate to get him. The guy that had the pick originally had buyers remorse and the guy at 2.4 was mad I stole his player.

He may be there at 2.4 but I would not count it if you have league mates that study a lot. Miami has a huge hole with the departure of Jarvis and this TE has the size, speed, hands, and route acumen to make an impact.

I use to be anti TE early in drafts but given this position is changing the ability or inability to block is not an issue as more teams are using TE's to create mismatch opportunities out of the H Back or slot position. This player is a prototype in that regard IMO.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:09 pm

Kittle for me. Shanahan system is pretty TE friendly and Kittle seems like he's locked in. Not sure how someone could think he's capped out as I think the offense as a whole is going to improve significantly. He's also the only one that has been the starter and produced as such.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

lic217
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby lic217 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:13 pm

Gesicki for me. Wow he looks the part.

playa_hata
All Pro
All Pro

Postby playa_hata » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:22 pm

ill take burton for no particular reason other than looks the part. I would also take gesicki either one is a good choice. i like kittle but he is easily the 3rd option out of the 3
12 team PPR SuperFlex start 9 (Same for each team)

TM1
QB: Rodgers, Rivers, Dak, Dalton, Smith
RB: Zeke, CMC, Jacobs, Chubb, Gore, Dearnest
WR: Davante Adams, Tyreek, Fuller, Aj Brown, AB, MVS, Fulgham, Ward, Fitz, Beasley, amendola, zaccheus
TE: Ertz, Engram, Fells

TM2
QB: Rodgers, Baker, Stafford, Bridgewater
RB:Kamara, Chubb, Hunt, Singletary
WR:M Evans,D Adams,Kupp, AJ brown, lockett, sanders,miller, Patrick, Robinson, Hamilton, Lasley, D.Robinson, Trey Quinn, Scantling, agholor
TE: Kelce, Rudolph, Irv smith, gronk, Burton

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:53 pm

I’ve personally got Gesicki and Kittle the back end of one tier, and Burton the top of the next tier. Gesicki would get a slight nod due to upside. Kittle is safer. Literally have these guys 9,10,11 in my rankings haha
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:08 am

ericanadian wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:09 pm Kittle for me. Shanahan system is pretty TE friendly and Kittle seems like he's locked in. Not sure how someone could think he's capped out as I think the offense as a whole is going to improve significantly. He's also the only one that has been the starter and produced as such.
Agree. Kittle has the better QB and offensive system in place. He had a solid rookie year for a TE and his measurable aren't far behind Gesicki's.

In a 10 team league though, just take whoever is cheapest.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:45 am

Pass on Gesicki. He's an athlete who doesn't play the way he tested at the combine. I expect his value to drop from where it is as he as he struggles to harness his abilities.

Burton is appealing, but limited sample size and too many variables make projecting him difficult. Where I have him, he's at the flier value to me.

Kittle is my preference. I'm confident in his floor and believe he has an untapped ceiling. I think he can realize that potential this year and that would create enhanced trade value I think I could leverage.

If this were a no trades league, I'd go Gesicki, realizing it may be some time before I'm comfortable starting him, if ever. Given most leagues allow trading, I'd go Kittle for his floor/ceiling combo and chance to flip in the near future for profit.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def