Training League?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
III_Percent
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Training League?

Postby III_Percent » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:04 am

Ok, so some might think this is a stupid idea. I don't think so. But to each their own. But has anyone ever opened up like Dynasty and/or future Commissioner training league? Like for salaries leagues. Or any Dynasty/Keeper league. I mean salary or contract leagues would be different. Regular Dyno or Keepers wouldn't be that much different from re draft as far as how to run the team. But salaries and contract leagues would be way different.

Like I've been playing fantasy ball for not that long compared to others. I stared in 2010, oh Yahoo. Always redraft. But I'm tired of starting over every year. And I've wanted to do dynasty leagues for the last few years. And especially salary or contact leagues.

But lets be honest, most people who create a salary or contract league don't want people in it who have no idea what their doing. I think that would be so fun to do one of those leagues. I have applied to join a few but when I was upfront with Commissioner that I had never done one they didn't want me to join. And I don't blame them. I get it.

I put up a question on roto world league finder service asking how many people would be interested In playing dyno salary leagues but had never and had no idea how to go about it and quite a few people said they would.

Once I learn how to do them I'm going to do something like that. Yeah you can read and watch videos. But nothing like actually doing it to learn. Everyone has to start somewhere.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Training League?

Postby clarion contrarion » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:35 am

I would say you are on the right track find some like minded managers and just go for it- learn together for really low stakes or free . As you learn the ropes then you can dive in full force . I as a commish prefer dynasty vets but will take a chance on an inexperienced manager if recommended by a manager I respect or if he meets all other criteria. I then clue them in on what to expect including knowing the minnows and the sharks are always hungry for an easy meal so be ever wary . I also recommend a few places to go like DLF to get knowledge and impartial feedback about strategy or player evaluations.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:52 am

I made a league exactly like the one you describe back in around 2004. Once everyone joined it, only about 2 stayed all season long. A few people left with no reasoning, and others left with the parting thought of "ok I know what I'm doing now, ty".

In theory it's a good idea, but if the only purpose is to learn, once people think they understand they will just leave and not come back. You'd be better off opening up an MFL league on your own and just playing around.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:15 am

You could have a reset after the first year, i.e. that all contracts expire after year 1 except for 2-3. So use the 1sr year as a warm-up of sort.

III_Percent
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby III_Percent » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:59 am

All great ideas! I live in Missouri and they made fantasy gambling illegal in 2016. And they aren't making it legal again any time soon. Like I can't play on Draft dot com. I can on FanDuel and draft Kings. You have to apply to the Missouri gaming commission for an exemption. And pay them so much. But I can on Fantrax. Play for money. I can't on MFL but since the MLF10 movies to a different site I can on that site. Some sites I can join some I can't. Money speaking.

I think y'all are right, I just need to join a salary startup where a website hosts it and just learn. Or open one up myself and specify this is going to last only one season and for people who want to learn only. And if they leave so be it. I can still learn. Have the host site automatically set their lineups if they leave.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:46 am

The problem with training leagues is complexity.

Not everyone really wants to put in the year round time salary cap/ contract years complete with F or T Tag / vet auction/ rookie draft/ IDP/ leagues require.

I ran a league for a decade that is still going on and we have a 2nd spreadsheet off line just to manage. We recruit owners when needed because the league is the closest I have ever played in that provides Owner/GM/Coach experience but its not for everyone.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts