Another Rico gathers thread.

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Raymond1974
Role Player
Role Player

Another Rico gathers thread.

Postby Raymond1974 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:48 am

It's reported that Rico is up to 280 lbs! How can he be effective at that weight? I also read that he hasn't been getting passing opportunities in practice. I think the hype train is going off the rail real quick! :doh:

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Another Rico gathers thread.

Postby Phaded » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:53 am

I read it was so he was not getting pushed around as much as a blocker, smart move for him. If he cannot block he is not seeing the field on this team.

Raymond1974
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Raymond1974 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:02 pm

Phaded wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:53 am I read it was so he was not getting pushed around as much as a blocker, smart move for him. If he cannot block he is not seeing the field on this team.
yeah I understand that, I just wonder how well his conditioning will be at that weight.

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:04 pm

That would make sense but the fact that he's not getting any passing work is mildly concerning if you are expecting him to emerge as the teams go to TE passing threat.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

motherlode
Role Player
Role Player

Postby motherlode » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:22 pm

Maybe the Cowboys realized his ceiling was glorified offensive tackle.

*ahem*

Ive been wanting to get this off my chest for a little while....

Of the 4 Cowboys TE's at their respective Pro Days (Gathers, Schultz, Jarwin, Swaim), Gathers was tied for the slowest 40 time with Dalton Schultz at 4.75. The only other two drills all of the 4 ran were the short shuttle and the broad jump and Gathers came in last amongst the 4 in both of them. His scores in these three drills would have placed him as the 8th fastest 40, the 9th longest broadjump (9'7") and the and next to last in the short shuttle (4.56 sec) amongst TE at the 2018 combine. (Bear in mind there were only about 12-15 TE that performed at each drill. So his stats would have placed him as being in the lower third compared to the TE in the draft this year. He is not some sort of otherworldy freak of nature athlete. He is not particularly fast, nor particularly agile, nor particularly explosive. He is arguably the worst athlete of all the TE currently on the Cowboys roster.

Dalton Schultz played 3 years of college football and caught 55 passes for 550 yards and 5 TD. Blake Jarwin played 3 years of college football and caught 41 passes for 640 yards and 5 TD. Geoff Swaim played college football for 3 years and caught a couple of passes for a few yards. But he played college football. Rico Gathers did not even play high school football. He is 139 days younger than Hayden Hurst and he hasnt caught a pass in a real game since middle school (and im assuming he was some sort of receiver then and not a O lineman or something). Even amongst these not particularly prolific players, Gathers is by far the least experienced.

Rico Gathers is a nice story. Im rooting for him. I really am. I love underdogs. Heck i even grabbed him off the WW in one of my leagues and used a late 5th to draft him in another a couple of weeks ago (admittedly i did that before i had done the research for this post...he is now on my dont bother list). IMO, he isnt the second coming of Tony Gonzales, who was one of the top college football player his senior year at Cal and a first round draft pick. He isnt even the next Antonio Gates, who was an all state high school football player and was offered football scholarships at Michigan and Ohio State before accepting a football scholarship to play for Nick Saban at Michigan State then being told by Saban he couldnt play basketball in addition to football, leaving MSU and ending up at Kent when a former MSU assistant coach got the head coach job there. He is, IMO, almost assuredly the next Eric Swoope, or the next Mo Allie Cox. But if he has even one top 12-ish TE season i will come here, bump this thread and eat copious amounts of crow.

To paraphrase Moneyball:

Rico Gathers: But I've never played Tight End before.
Jerry Jones: Dont worry, its not that hard. Tell him, Jason.
Jason Garrett: Its incredibly hard.

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:28 pm

Rico is the DGB of TEs with less draft capital invested in him.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

motherlode
Role Player
Role Player

Postby motherlode » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:38 pm

jman3134 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:28 pm Rico is the DGB of TEs with less draft capital invested in him.
LOL i spent like 2 hours researching to create my above post and you said it better in 10 seconds and with 97% less words.

:clap:

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:53 pm

Thanks, though not exactly the same points being made. DGB was considered an elite level athlete. Also, your post was informative and not purely an opinion.

To clarify, DGB and Rico both don't have the aptitude to earn playing time at their respective positions. Rico because he never played college football and DGB bc he was a bonehead. Both are/were talked about and hyped on a rather consistent basis due to respective team needs. However, both never really received glowing reports from coaching staffs etc. I don't quite understand why Rico is so loved.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:04 pm

Rico is a 6th rounder - not quite sure the DGB comparison makes sense.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:01 pm

Offseason news hasn't been great, but I've felt all along that training-camp is the only time he can really climb the chart. Training-camp and preseason are when the pads come on for full contact, of course, and it's been made very clear to us that this is the element of the game Gathers must prove himself in before Dallas will grant him a significant role.

As for getting his weight back up, I don't see that as an issue for him insofar as his receiving ability. He wasn't gonna be an elite separator at 265lbs, either. Gathers is a box-out, catch-radius, go up and get it, etc sort of pass-catcher, i.e. exactly his profile all along as a noted basketball rebounder.

Gathers doesn't need to separate from coverage to be an effective receiver, he only needs to maintain his route-schedule, avoid redirects, and be where he's supposed to be when Dak expects him to be there. Anyone worrying about Gathers' 40 time doesn't fully understand exactly how his profile projects to be a mismatch. A 4.8 40 is fine for him.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Syd12356
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Syd12356 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:55 am

Thoughts on moving him for Latavius Murray?
Team 1: 12 Team PPR 30 Man Rosters 1 QB, 2-4 RB, 3-5 WR, 1-3 TE

QB- Newton, Dalton, Keenum, L. Jackson
RB- Da. Johnson, Bell, S. Michel, Du. Johnson, G. Bernard, J. Wilkins, L. Blount, C. Grant, B. Scott
WR- D.Hopkins, Hill, Thielen, E. Sanders, Fitzgerald, D. Baldwin, M. Mitchell, Humphries, R. Anderson, T. Taylor, R. Mathews, Meredith
TE- Gronk, K.Rudolph, Gathers, Seals-Jones
2019 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3x4ths

Team 2: 14 Team PPR 25 Man Rosters (30 in offseason) (4 TS) 1 QB, 2-3 RB, 2-3 WR, 1-2 TE, Team Defense, Kicker

QB- M. Ryan, Flacco
RB- Guice, Michel, Cohen, Collins, G. Bernard, L. Blount, C. Grant
WR- Landry, Diggs, Thielen, M. Bryant, Crowder, Edelman, K. Cole, Mitchell, D. Robinson, C. Rogers, Butler, Zylstra, D. Cantrell, T. Quinn
TE- Engram, Cook, Gathers, Akins
DEF-
TS- L. Jackson, A. Miller, Chark, J. Samuels
2019 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:22 am

Syd12356 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:55 am Thoughts on moving him for Latavius Murray?
Probably worth it if you own D. Cook. Otherwise, Gathers has better future flip opportunity potential as a stash.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

zelldawg26
Role Player
Role Player

Postby zelldawg26 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:36 am

Never bought, don't think I ever will. I put the breaks on long ago and they're still rusty.
24 Player Roster/12 Team/PPR/IDP/PPT(Point Per Tackle)
4 player Taxi Squad

QB- Aaron Rodgers, Winston
RB- Monty, Ajayi, Ingram, Duke, Booker, Burkhead, Collins, Foreman, Breida
WR- Cooks, A-Rob, TY, Funchess, MBryant, Godwin, MWilliams, Golladay
TE-Engram
PK- M.Crosby
LB- CJ Mosley, L David
DE- Fowler, Okafor
DB- Clinton-Dix, Rashad Jones

24 player roster/12 team/0.5 PPR/IDP/4 player Taxi

QB- Luck, Carr, Bortles
RB- Zeke, Hyde, McKinnon, Henry, A Jones, Drake, Foreman, Booker, Dixon
WR- Evans, Hilton, ARob, Cooper, Watkins, Shepard, C Davis, Gordon, Doctson
TE-Olsen, Kittle
PK- Whatever
DE- Okafor, Hunter
LB- Buccanon, Mack
S- Baker, Mathieu

WOATjohn
Captain
Captain

Postby WOATjohn » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:52 pm

so... Rico Gathers or Blake Jarwin?
12tm SF/TEP 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX, 1SF
**23 Champ**
QB: Hurts, Goff, Mayfield, B Zappe
RB: Ekeler, Pollard, Mostert, Warren, A Jones, Mattison, Dillon, D Cook, Gray
WR: Hill, Moore, Adams, D Smith, Cooper, Dortch, Hardman
TE: Kelce, Ferguson, I Smith, Ruckert, Hendershot, Washington
3, 4

12tm PPR 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 3FLX
1st rd exit
QB: Jackson, Watson, Howell
RB: Breece, Bijan, Cook, Mostert, R Johnson, C Brown, Demercado, D Foreman, Gray, D Johnson
WR: Garrett Wilson, DeVonta Smith, Smith-Njigba, J Williams, Q Johnson, D Bell, Bateman, N Brown, Phillips, Gage, Iosivas
TE: Kincaid, Ferguson, Granson

12tm PPR 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
FULL REBUILD
QB: Richardson, Ridder, Lance
RB: Achane, Javonte, Ahmed, Abanikanda, Strong, Scott, Penny, McBride
WR: G Davis, Hollywood, M Wilson, WanDale, Pierce, R Moore, Bell, Marshall
TE: Freiermuth, Kraft, Knox, Ruckert, Schoonmaker, Strange
1.01, 1.08, 1.12, 2.01, 3.01, 3.07, 3.08, 4.01, 4.02, 4.11, 5.01, 5.05, 5.10

playa_hata
All Pro
All Pro

Postby playa_hata » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:13 pm

just traded rico for daesean hamilton worth it? i got hamilton
12 team PPR SuperFlex start 9 (Same for each team)

TM1
QB: Rodgers, Rivers, Dak, Dalton, Smith
RB: Zeke, CMC, Jacobs, Chubb, Gore, Dearnest
WR: Davante Adams, Tyreek, Fuller, Aj Brown, AB, MVS, Fulgham, Ward, Fitz, Beasley, amendola, zaccheus
TE: Ertz, Engram, Fells

TM2
QB: Rodgers, Baker, Stafford, Bridgewater
RB:Kamara, Chubb, Hunt, Singletary
WR:M Evans,D Adams,Kupp, AJ brown, lockett, sanders,miller, Patrick, Robinson, Hamilton, Lasley, D.Robinson, Trey Quinn, Scantling, agholor
TE: Kelce, Rudolph, Irv smith, gronk, Burton