John Ross: reports of his demise are greatly exaggerated.

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Re: John Ross

Postby maxhyde » Wed May 16, 2018 1:08 pm

With Williams and Davis I can see making the move for a vet I guess. None of those guys did very much as rookies and I hate dealing guys at a loss before I see them play a stretch of games in the NFL. Anyway I liked Ross as much as I liked Cooks coming out so I definitely need to see him on the field before dealing him
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Wed May 16, 2018 4:22 pm

Wasn’t the biggest fan of his coming out, but wow there is a lot of hate here for him. I’m willing to give him a little more time to acclimate to the NFL. I mean we used to give guys 3 years, I can spare at least two. His offseason was all jacked up last year, and he got hurt...lot of reasons to give him a mulligan. I’m not saying to actively target him or anything(though he may be pretty cheap and worth an inquiry), I’m just saying it seems way to early to throw in the towel. I could see an Agholor-esque value rise this season.

prinefan
All Pro
All Pro

Postby prinefan » Wed May 16, 2018 4:27 pm

sugbear65 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:22 pm Wasn’t the biggest fan of his coming out, but wow there is a lot of hate here for him. I’m willing to give him a little more time to acclimate to the NFL. I mean we used to give guys 3 years, I can spare at least two. His offseason was all jacked up last year, and he got hurt...lot of reasons to give him a mulligan. I’m not saying to actively target him or anything(though he may be pretty cheap and worth an inquiry), I’m just saying it seems way to early to throw in the towel. I could see an Agholor-esque value rise this season.
Agholor's a nice analogy. Definitely too many people looking for the "immediate gratification" from their high draft picks. Sometimes it just takes a couple (or three) years before they catch on. I'm fine holding him on my bench for a while longer.

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:21 pm

Ross was a divisive prospect last year so I think there is just a lot of premature self congratulatory "I told you so" back patting going on. It may end up being right but as it's been said lets give the guy more than a season before we claim victories.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Thu May 17, 2018 7:45 am

People hated Will Fuller with a passion, who has been one of the better "immediate" producers in his NFL tenure versus other rookies from 2015-2017. We'll see if Watson keeps up the pace.

Even though I'd probably take Fuller over Ross at this point, there just hasn't been enough for us to make a legitimate judgment IMO. Ross needs to have a decent but PRIMARILY HEALTHY 2018 for him to ease people's concerns.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu May 17, 2018 8:27 am

Health has always been the real issue with Ross. On the tape, his only glaring flaw is that he doesn't attack at the catch-point. Otherwise, he was mostly uncoverable. He wasn't even all that bad against press, by collegiate standards.

So, I mean, I'm not surprised Housh and Green say they're impressed. A healthy John Ross tends to be impressive. Will he still be healthy by Week 8?
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Thu May 17, 2018 10:13 am

People are too quick to give up on a player after a bad rookie year, but I gotta say I think the criticisms of Ross remind me of Sammie Coates and Corey Coleman...not encouraging.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Thu May 17, 2018 10:17 am

prinefan wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:27 pm
sugbear65 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:22 pm Wasn’t the biggest fan of his coming out, but wow there is a lot of hate here for him. I’m willing to give him a little more time to acclimate to the NFL. I mean we used to give guys 3 years, I can spare at least two. His offseason was all jacked up last year, and he got hurt...lot of reasons to give him a mulligan. I’m not saying to actively target him or anything(though he may be pretty cheap and worth an inquiry), I’m just saying it seems way to early to throw in the towel. I could see an Agholor-esque value rise this season.
Agholor's a nice analogy. Definitely too many people looking for the "immediate gratification" from their high draft picks. Sometimes it just takes a couple (or three) years before they catch on. I'm fine holding him on my bench for a while longer.
Agholor is a terrible analogy imo. He was healthy and just bad in a bad offense for multiple years because Jordan Matthews was a better slot guy and Agholor struggled outside. However comparisons aside we got the same disappointment with all of the 1st round WR's. Davis Williams and Ross were all disappointing comparing them to Juju who was like the 5-7th WR off the board in my drafts. Irony is everyone loved the 3 top guys spots and hated Juju's situation with AB/Bryant looking to be the target hogs which drove Juju down draft boards in fantasy.
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu May 17, 2018 11:13 am

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:13 am People are too quick to give up on a player after a bad rookie year, but I gotta say I think the criticisms of Ross remind me of Sammie Coates and Corey Coleman...not encouraging.
Coates has a very different profile -- raw with bad tape, but an impressive workout that bumped him up to a late Day 2 reach. Coleman is a lot closer, but Coleman ran a very simple route-tree coming out (and still needs a lot of work there). Coleman might still be a good pro; he's been snake-bit.

Ross is much more polished than either of them coming out. That's partly why he was a top 10 pick.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Thu May 17, 2018 11:58 am

ninotoreS wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 11:13 am
WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:13 am People are too quick to give up on a player after a bad rookie year, but I gotta say I think the criticisms of Ross remind me of Sammie Coates and Corey Coleman...not encouraging.
Coates has a very different profile -- raw with bad tape, but an impressive workout that bumped him up to a late Day 2 reach. Coleman is a lot closer, but Coleman ran a very simple route-tree coming out (and still needs a lot of work there). Coleman might still be a good pro; he's been snake-bit.

Ross is much more polished than either of them coming out. That's partly why he was a top 10 pick.
Agreed.
Ross' comp is much more Brandin Cooks than either of the other 2 for me. I think Cooks was better all over the field but I saw them as pretty similar with Ross carrying a slight speed advantage and larger injury history

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

John Ross: reports of his demise are greatly exaggerated.

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:24 pm

Ross looked like a stud at minicamp. This is on the heels of a strong showing at OTAs, and of course that offseason puffery from Houshmandzadeh.

https://twitter.com/Dan_Hoard/status/10 ... 1927529475
https://twitter.com/Chris_Roling/status ... 0363722752
https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/news/16 ... fense-.php
https://twitter.com/pauldehnerjr/status ... 0610444289
https://twitter.com/JayMorrisonCMG/stat ... 1411761157
https://twitter.com/BrandonSaho/status/ ... 9539483648
https://twitter.com/JamesRapien/status/ ... 6586231808

But now that I've posted this thread his thumb will probably explode or something while playing Fortnite.

edit: Forgot to find the tweet noting he was clocked at 24 mph during OTAs. Without pads on, of course.
Last edited by ninotoreS on Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: John Ross: reports of his demise are greatly exaggerated.

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:06 pm

So what's the big deal, he caught a couple of passes? Not seeing anything special, here. There's nobody covering him. IDK, I guess it's good that he looks goods in OTA's, but he was way overdrafed by the Bengals IMO. If he can become Kenny Stills I think that's a good thing.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:48 am

Just noting his offseason has been going very well through minicamp, dude. He's running with the 1s, consistently making plays, and flashing more than any other WR on the roster (Green gets a pass of course because he doesn't need to flash).
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:06 pm There's nobody covering him.
Maybe try actually looking at the links. :|
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

pokerface40
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pokerface40 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:16 am

The thing is his owners aren't gonna sell at a price that would be worth taking a stab at him. Being a top 10 NFL and dynasty (rookie) draft pick, his value is still somewhat insulated.

That said I like the guy and would buy for a future 2nd if possible.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:29 am

ninotoreS wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:48 am Just noting his offseason has been going very well through minicamp, dude. He's running with the 1s, consistently making plays, and flashing more than any other WR on the roster (Green gets a pass of course because he doesn't need to flash).
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:06 pm There's nobody covering him.
Maybe try actually looking at the links. :|
Yeah, I did. The only two videos you showed were him running a route against nobody. Some reporters said he looked good, and I guess he caught a TD against someone. Some link about his feet being recorded etc. Just don't see a lot to it, that's all. Ross has always looked good in shorts.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick