Penny will lead in touches in a committee
52%

Total votes: 94

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: So you're telling me there's a chance! Chris Carson Edition ***POLL***

Postby nathanq42 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:43 pm

But Penny is 50lbs heavier than Pumphrey....
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:37 pm

TurtleBK wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:57 pm Pumphrey looked insane in that same offense and broke a ton of records. I think Penny has a much higher bust probability than whoever drafts him in any league I'm in, that's for sure. And Chris Carson is actually a really good player.

Last year, I felt the same about Kareem Hunt and Spencer Ware. I also felt that that offense would make a very good RB a great RB. Ware tears his ACL in pre-season, and the rest is history. If he hadn't, I wonder if Spencer Ware wouldn't be a top 15 startup RB.

So who knows how it's going to turn out. But as long as both are healthy, I really think Penny is going to have a big challenge in wrestling the starting job away from big, angry Chris Carson.
Carson doesn't have the starting job. He's just running with the first team more than Penny. Fact. Carroll was asked if there was a starter and he said it was much too early for that.

Penny's stats were much more efficient/better, and he did it while setting return records, too. He only had 1 starting OL from the year before (Pumphrey's big year), most of those Lineman graduated, and there were a lot of new players on that line, which should have held him back, but didn't.

I had Hunt as an NFL starter in his sophomore year. While the system does help, he's still a good NFL back, he would succeed in other competent systems IMO.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:41 pm

The plot thickens: First Mock game today:

“That was a good day today,” Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said. “We saw some good stuff today. I really was happy to see Russ function like that with the first group, had some big plays, moved the ball well. Got a chance to see Rashaad Penny make some plays, and Chris Carson make some plays too.

Ooooooh. Chris Carson mentioned as a side not to Penny.

Chris Carson scored on the first play, according to Russ. He then said, "I thought Rashaad Penny (he was on the other team, technically) ran the ball exceptionally well".

"Rookie Rashaad Penny was one of the bright spots for the No. 2 offense, breaking off two long runs"

This interesting, because I looked into it, and Carson was going against the number 2 defense, and Penny was going agains the number 1 defense. Penny was making big plays against the starting D, while Carson caught a TD from Wilson agains the number 2 D. Granted I'm biased as a Penny owner, but I'm glad to know Penny was running with the 2nd team OL/QB etc and breaking off big plays against their top D.

So they are really pushing the RB battle. Penny is making his presence felt. Carson still playing with the first team, but Wilson was impressed. This thread has only just begun...LOL.

Side note:

Carroll has had it with right tackle Germain Ifedi’s penalties. The coach benched Ifedi in a mock game for them Saturday.

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:51 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:41 pm The plot thickens: First Mock game today:

“That was a good day today,” Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said. “We saw some good stuff today. I really was happy to see Russ function like that with the first group, had some big plays, moved the ball well. Got a chance to see Rashaad Penny make some plays, and Chris Carson make some plays too.

Chris Carson scored on the first play, according to Russ. He then said, "I thought Rashaad Penny (he was on the other team, technically) ran the ball exceptionally well".

"Rookie Rashaad Penny was one of the bright spots for the No. 2 offense, breaking off two long runs"

So they are really pushing the RB battle. Penny is making his presence felt. Carson still playing with the first team, but Wilson was impressed. This thread has only just begun...LOL.
"If you build it, they will come." I'm impressed by your passion. Let's not forget my position was the underdog out of left field opinion when this started (lest you become a martyr). My position was left for dead, yours was the easy one. But you go ahead and beat that drum, it just has to play out now. It's almost like you are acting like you are in the minority and not the 80% group. When I made this thread I honestly just wanted Carson to get the respect that committee backs he is better than already get. I was surprised at how he wasn't viewed as a prospect.
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:00 am

_yeti wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:51 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:41 pm The plot thickens: First Mock game today:

"If you build it, they will come." I'm impressed by your passion. Let's not forget my position was the underdog out of left field opinion when this started (lest you become a martyr). My position was left for dead, yours was the easy one. But you go ahead and beat that drum, it just has to play out now. It's almost like you are acting like you are in the minority and not the 80% group. When I made this thread I honestly just wanted Carson to get the respect that committee backs he is better than already get. I was surprised at how he wasn't viewed as a prospect.
OF course. I kind of hope it's like a DJ situation, actually. IN the leagues I own Penny, I don't need him right away. I'm hoping Carson starts with Penny slowly getting worked in. I'll throw my offers out in the leagues I don't own him in around week 2-4. I think he's a top back. He does everything well. TBH, I'm way more in the Penny vs Guice debate, so maybe that's why I am so into this thread. I like Guice a lot, but it drives me crazy that everyone around here has this idea he's so superior to every other back in a very deep class. I actually like Guice a lot, but there are other backs I like better, but the idea that it's Guice=1.02 automatically (it happens in threads all the time where a guy asks about 1.02 without mentioned who they are taking, and people just, say "you get Guice and bla bla ba). The guy never said he was taking Guice, but people assume it. I don't take Guice at 1.02, period. So if it was me posting, I'd be saying that. It's funny because I'm getting side tracked on your OP, so it's kind of ironic, but the OP gets lost a lot as people put their own narrative to a post and argue over that. It IS a major issue on this forum.

LOL. Penny=Money :wink:

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:50 am

Sigh. Do I buy Carson for a late 2nd and a borderline flyer like Kendall Wright on the Vikings?

Team not is sig. SF that I look to be a playoff team after the startup and Penny is my RB2.
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:23 pm

hockeyBjj wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:50 am Sigh. Do I buy Carson for a late 2nd and a borderline flyer like Kendall Wright on the Vikings?

Team not is sig. SF that I look to be a playoff team after the startup and Penny is my RB2.
I would probably do that. Granted the picks are worth a little more because it’s SF but it would give you insurance, in case Carson is heavily involved all season or if Penny gets injured. I recently took Penny at 1.03 in one of my rookie drafts and Carson was available so I was able to get him at 3.03 and was very happy, it’s insurance, that’s how I look at it. Now, if you were rebuilding, then I’d say no, but I doubt you would be considering it then.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:01 pm

Not sure why ppl are surprised. First round pick or not, nobody rotates RBs more than Seattle and NE. The post draft puff piece was just talk, things formalize in august.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:03 pm

hockeyBjj wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:50 am Sigh. Do I buy Carson for a late 2nd and a borderline flyer like Kendall Wright on the Vikings?

It's probably worth it. There was a lot of Carson for round 1 threads when he was looking good early last year. He was a TC/pre season star too.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:20 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:01 pm Not sure why ppl are surprised. First round pick or not, nobody rotates RBs more than Seattle and NE. The post draft puff piece was just talk, things formalize in august.
You don't draft a 220 lb RB with pass catching skills in the 1st round to rotate in and out. He's either going to be a workhorse rb or he's going to be a titanic bust. Same rules as with David Johnson. There is no in-between.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:12 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:20 pm
Space Cowboy wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:01 pm Not sure why ppl are surprised. First round pick or not, nobody rotates RBs more than Seattle and NE. The post draft puff piece was just talk, things formalize in august.
You don't draft a 220 lb RB with pass catching skills in the 1st round to rotate in and out. He's either going to be a workhorse rb or he's going to be a titanic bust. Same rules as with David Johnson. There is no in-between.
Although DJ did not start in that role, he was worked into it. DJ also didn't get picked in the first round, though. Not sure what post draft puff piece he was referring to, but there are a ton of Chris Carson puff pieces out there right now. Also not sure how he can say anything is formalized, as Carroll has not given the starting role to anyone. The only people saying Chris Carson is the starter are writers. I agree with you DD, Penny was drafted to play, and play a lot. We shall see if they hand him the reins right out of the gate, or work him into that role.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:30 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:12 pm
Although DJ did not start in that role, he was worked into it. DJ also didn't get picked in the first round, though. Not sure what post draft puff piece he was referring to, but there are a ton of Chris Carson puff pieces out there right now. Also not sure how he can say anything is formalized, as Carroll has not given the starting role to anyone. The only people saying Chris Carson is the starter are writers. I agree with you DD, Penny was drafted to play, and play a lot. We shall see if they hand him the reins right out of the gate, or work him into that role.
I understand there are some diffences, the point is that players like Penny do not “rotate in and out” long term. Big athletic running backs that can catch passes don’t rotate in and out unless you’re terrible like Matt Jones or Charles Sims or whomever. I don’t think it’s sound to believe that Penny will be good but still split time with Carson for the long haul. That just doesn’t make any sense and is a highly unlikely outcome.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:36 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:30 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:12 pm

I understand there are some diffences, the point is that players like Penny do not “rotate in and out” long term. Big athletic running backs that can catch passes don’t rotate in and out unless you’re terrible like Matt Jones or Charles Sims or whomever. I don’t think it’s sound to believe that Penny will be good but still split time with Carson for the long haul. That just doesn’t make any sense and is a highly unlikely outcome.
Agreed. I think Penny will be good, heck I drafted him in a lot of places, and took him ahead of Guice in one league. He's ripped off a few long runs vs the first team D in their first scrimmage. He's starting to establish himself in all facets of the game in TC, I think it's only a matter of time before people come back to the reality that Penny is a better football player than CC, including the coaches (who probably already know that too), although they are not willing to say that to the media. Unless Chris Carson starts and tears up the league, the Hawks cannot justify Penny not playing, and if Carson plays and doesn't play really well, and Penny still sits, jobs will be lost, so the outcome that Penny is a "spot RB", is a highly unlikely outcome, as you said.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:12 am

CMC? Michel? Chubb? None of those guys are three down backs and I don't know what the workhorse or titanic bust comment is supposed to imply. There's no more middle of the road RB2's in FF?

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:22 am

Space Cowboy wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:12 am
CMC? Michel? Chubb? None of those guys are three down backs and I don't know what the workhorse or titanic bust comment is supposed to imply. There's no more middle of the road RB2's in FF?
You didn't quite understand my statement. For starters, CMC is only 202 lbs.