_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Re: So you're telling me there's a chance! Chris Carson Edition ***POLL***

Postby _yeti » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:04 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:52 pm
_yeti wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:41 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:34 pm

That report was directly refuted by the Colts when asked, per the broadcast tonight on MFL. So much for that post. Keep trollin', cause you know that's what you're doing right now.
Trolling? I saw an article on yahoo which purported to be true from a journalist with a major publication. Am I supposed to go to the Colts for confirmation? So how am I trolling? It is a report about Seahawks draft capital.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-seahawk ... 07056.html
Come on man, you're using "draft capital" three times in a row followed with two exclamation points followed by an LOL. That's clearly a knock on Penny, and an attempt to remove any credibility to the pick, don't play dumb. Unfortunately, whoever Mike Volin is, doesn't have sources that are relevant, as the Colts shot down the notion the Hawks offered a pick, and in fact said they really hadn't had any offers of note, but they felt confident the had a really good back up, per MNF. You were attempting to use this article to make the Seahawks seem out of touch with talent evaluation. However, there is no proof at all that offer was made, and was refuted by people within the Colts organization. Anyone can post an article, it's another thing to have facts to back it up. Journalism is about credibility and facts, not opinion, or else it just Op-ed, and those are a dime a dozen these days. Cherry picking is very easy in this era of mass media.
You misunderstand. I'm not playing dumb. I am saying and was saying your group's touting of draft capital is overstated. The best player for the specific job is gonna play. It isn't about draft capital.
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:07 pm

Your gpa gets you into the next school. Class rank may get you the job. Once you're in the organization you actually have to perform, you can't rest on the pedigree that got you in the building. People don't care what your gpa was once you're actually at work. There's a higher investment so a desire to see ROI, but that doesn't mean you will forego the return someone else can give you if it is greater or better suited to the organization.
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:14 pm

_yeti wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:04 pm

Trolling? I saw an article on yahoo which purported to be true from a journalist with a major publication. Am I supposed to go to the Colts for confirmation? So how am I trolling? It is a report about Seahawks draft capital.

Come on man, you're using "draft capital" three times in a row followed with two exclamation points followed by an LOL. That's clearly a knock on Penny, and an attempt to remove any credibility to the pick, don't play dumb. Unfortunately, whoever Mike Volin is, doesn't have sources that are relevant, as the Colts shot down the notion the Hawks offered a pick, and in fact said they really hadn't had any offers of note, but they felt confident the had a really good back up, per MNF. You were attempting to use this article to make the Seahawks seem out of touch with talent evaluation. However, there is no proof at all that offer was made, and was refuted by people within the Colts organization. Anyone can post an article, it's another thing to have facts to back it up. Journalism is about credibility and facts, not opinion, or else it just Op-ed, and those are a dime a dozen these days. Cherry picking is very easy in this era of mass media.
You misunderstand. I'm not playing dumb. I am saying and was saying your group's touting of draft capital is overstated. The best player for the specific job is gonna play. It isn't about draft capital.
Perhaps I do, but i have my doubts, as you referenced Penny's draft capital many times already. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but only you really know the answer to that. Also, I feel a real need to say that media writes crap all the time that does not reference sources, and this draws my ire, as people too often assume opinion as fact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwnNrr9RO2Y

This is well put. This is more relevant than an argument about some football player, but this article you referenced made me think of it.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:10 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:34 pm That report was directly refuted by the Colts when asked, per the broadcast tonight on MFL. So much for that post. Keep trollin', cause you know that's what you're doing right now.

Fwiw, I didn't take it that way. I thought the process was "Seahawks were offering a 2nd for Brissett but he wasn't drafted in the 2nd". At some point, draft capital loses relevance, and the idea the Seahawks were willing to give a 2nd for Brissett for a player drafted in the third says Seattle thinks Brissett's draft value can be disregarded after a year of film and some additional production his rookie year in 2016.

I've always thought of Seattle as one of the more aggressively outside the box teams. They might pursue a player and sink enough capital (free agency or the draft) to convince outsiders that the player will have a significant role, but then see that vaporize during the season. First examples of the top of my head would be CMike and Lacy. From a pure draft capital perspective, CMike's history of getting drafted in the 2nd and hanging around for years, in Seattle initially and then the league later on, despite little production would be an undesirable turn for Penny.

Building off yeti's point and CMike's history- draft capital gets you in the door, but doesn't guarantee you touches, nevermind production.

Ben Volin is a prominent journalist in the Boston area. Why is he talking about a supposed trade between Indy and Seattle? Perhaps because the Patriots traded Brissett last preseason for Dorsett? What if the Seattle offer wasn't a 2nd but a pick and player, and Volin was spit-balling that combined value at a 2nd? Maybe he said it was a 2nd, when it was really 2nd round VALUE, to cover his tracks and shield his source. I've also read Seattle doesn't have a 2019 2nd- if so, how would that factor in to the value estimation?

Volin stating this trade was offered could be nothing more than digging at the Patriots braintrust for dealing Brissett for below league-perceived value. Combine that with their Jimmy G trade and a QB room well-positioned for a post-Brady world has really gotten shorned.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:51 pm

This is definitely going to be a fun thread to review every year (or for however long both Penny and Carson are in the league). :)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:19 am

Penny now up to 236 pounds?!?!?!?
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

spotxc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby spotxc » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:34 am

Ouch, thats not gonna help

Farley
Captain
Captain

Postby Farley » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:36 am

DJB wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:19 am Penny now up to 236 pounds?!?!?!?
It'll be interesting to see how that detail gets spun into a positive development.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:42 am

That's old news, and not sure it's 100 percent accurate, either. He was supposedly that weight when he played in week 1, but it seemed to have stemmed from a comment Carroll made when he said he was "236 or whatever he is". Seems likely he was wrong, or quoting a listed weight of another player. He's still listed at 220 every I can find, including the Hawks official site, where Carson is listed at 222, and was 218 last year.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:45 am

This thread has officially come full circle

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:51 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:45 am
This thread has officially come full circle
Agreed, The link provided in the rotoworld blurb says this was from week 1 of training camp... Old news

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:32 pm

Gotcha guys.

Snagged by rotoworld again lol
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:22 pm

Thread coming full circle. ;)

Penny > Carson > Penny > Carson.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:35 pm

Smh @ the Rotoworld blurb today. That interview answer by Carroll was two or three weeks ago. Way to stay on top of things, Rotoworld. :|
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:58 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:35 pm Smh @ the Rotoworld blurb today. That interview answer by Carroll was two or three weeks ago. Way to stay on top of things, Rotoworld. :|
One of the things that amuses me the most - when I am on MFL - and am looking at the "recent news articles" is that some times the same or very similar article will get repeated 3-4x over the course of a day. :lol: