Penny will lead in touches in a committee
52%

Total votes: 94

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: So you're telling me there's a chance! Chris Carson Edition

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:55 pm

_yeti wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:27 pm Yup, CMike and TRich are basically punching bags for almost any analogy.

As for Carson's college production, he went to JuCo, started one year at Oklahoma State and had a 6.8 ypc average. His lack of college experience might be why he looked better in the pros than college as he did exactly what Seattle asked of him and got much more physical than his college tape. I feel like it is a cop out to say "we are all amateurs" so nothing we see in the game matters. I have said this in other threads, if that is the case why do we talk so much on this site? You don't have to have ever watched football in your life to compare player stats and draft position, that's just statistics.

You base your belief on what you view as probability of success, meanwhile I look for value and try to find something people have missed. I always have fun trying to hit on the right low probability guys. I am not saying he is a top 10 back or something. I am just saying he is being viewed as a backup without value while I see committee back with potential for a step up in his next contract.
He played 2 years, and had 3.9 YPC the other year with starters touches. His 6.8 YP the next year were on 82 carries, so again, small sample size. I think you Cherry picked the 6.8 YPC personally, but whatever.

My view on probability of success is only half of it. I think Penny "looks" like a better RB quite easily as well. Time will tell. Perhaps he does get involved more than people think, we will see how it goes.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:57 pm

jman3134 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:39 pm If I say I don't expect a committee, but for Carson to take the job outright midseason, does that make me the ultimate Carson fanboy?
Absolutely, and I expect you to be wrong. I think most people who view these things are just hoping rather than actually seeing it happen, because they have Carson on their roster, and were hoping the Hawks did the exact opposite of drafting a RB with their first pick. Unless however, you/they acquired Carson AFTER Penny was drafted. Then that is different.

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:53 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:55 pm
_yeti wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:27 pm Yup, CMike and TRich are basically punching bags for almost any analogy.

As for Carson's college production, he went to JuCo, started one year at Oklahoma State and had a 6.8 ypc average. His lack of college experience might be why he looked better in the pros than college as he did exactly what Seattle asked of him and got much more physical than his college tape. I feel like it is a cop out to say "we are all amateurs" so nothing we see in the game matters. I have said this in other threads, if that is the case why do we talk so much on this site? You don't have to have ever watched football in your life to compare player stats and draft position, that's just statistics.

You base your belief on what you view as probability of success, meanwhile I look for value and try to find something people have missed. I always have fun trying to hit on the right low probability guys. I am not saying he is a top 10 back or something. I am just saying he is being viewed as a backup without value while I see committee back with potential for a step up in his next contract.
He played 2 years, and had 3.9 YPC the other year with starters touches. His 6.8 YP the next year were on 82 carries, so again, small sample size. I think you Cherry picked the 6.8 YPC personally, but whatever.

My view on probability of success is only half of it. I think Penny "looks" like a better RB quite easily as well. Time will tell. Perhaps he does get involved more than people think, we will see how it goes.
"Though he led the Cowboys in rushing as a nine-game starter in 2015, his totals of 131 carries for 517 yards and four touchdowns (plus 17-170 receiving) weren't earth-shattering. Carson's senior year started off slow (12-45, TD in first two games) and then he missed four games with a thumb injury. He came on near the end of the year, though, finishing with 559 yards and nine touchdowns on just 82 carries"

So he got 9 attempts per game, over the course of 9 games and he averaged a TD and almost 7 yards a carry and your takeaway is that the year before his more normal 3.9 ypc makes him bad? His first year in the program and D1 ball? That's more important than how he closed? Penny "looks" like a more agile and quick runner, so sure if that looks better to you, fine. What I said earlier still stands and Carson will join him in a committee providing physicality to their run game. Penny lacks the pop of the 3-down backs in the league. I can tell that's what you want him to be, don't see it, definitely not this year.
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

Mkh3225
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Mkh3225 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:59 pm

I think the Saints proved that two RBs can coexist in an offense, whos to say it can't happen in Seattle?
80's TV Shows Dynasty: Hill Street Blues
2016 League Champs
12 team, 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1FLEX DEF K (full ppr) 24 man
QB: Luck, Rivers
RB: Shady, M Gordon, Aa Jones, Ty Montgomery, Prosise, K Dixon
WR: Julio, Adams, Hilton, J Gordon, DJ Moore, J Brown, K White, Richardson, Trent Taylor, Tyr Williams
TE: Gronk, Reed, Olsen, Jonnu, Gesicki
D/ST: N/A
K: Tucker

Turf Wars Dynasty League: Hawkins Demogorgons
12-team: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLEX DEF (full ppr) 28 man
QB- Luck Goff
RB- J Howard Guice Penny Carson Burkhead Bernard Edmonds
WR- Cooper Allen Watkins Fuller A Miller R. Matthews Tyr Williams Lockett Kearse Grant Allison Butler Lasley
TE- Gronk OJ Howard Fumagalli
D/ST- PIT

Marvel Legends: Captain America
12 team 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLEX DEF K (full ppr) 25 man, 2 Taxi
QB: Winston Trubisky
RB: Guice R Freeman D Foreman Abdullah Aa Jones Montgomery Prosise Dixon
WR: C Davis DJ Moore DJ Chark Callaway Lockett K White Henderson Hollins Darboh
TE: Henry Everett ASJ M Andrews
D/ST: CAR
K: Succop

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:07 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:57 pm
jman3134 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:39 pm If I say I don't expect a committee, but for Carson to take the job outright midseason, does that make me the ultimate Carson fanboy?
Absolutely, and I expect you to be wrong. I think most people who view these things are just hoping rather than actually seeing it happen, because they have Carson on their roster, and were hoping the Hawks did the exact opposite of drafting a RB with their first pick. Unless however, you/they acquired Carson AFTER Penny was drafted. Then that is different.
Just drafted him in a startup and he is gonna be money for me on a ton of MFL10s. And turned down trade offers. It's the chicken or the egg question; do we roster players because we believe in them, or do we believe in players because we roster them?

You clearly have invested heavily in Penny and it is guiding your desire for Carson to fade into fhe background. I tried to buy Penny because I would roster them both like the aforementioned Ingram and Kamara

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:41 pm

_yeti wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:07 pm
Just drafted him in a startup and he is gonna be money for me on a ton of MFL10s. And turned down trade offers. It's the chicken or the egg question; do we roster players because we believe in them, or do we believe in players because we roster them?

You clearly have invested heavily in Penny and it is guiding your desire for Carson to fade into fhe background. I tried to buy Penny because I would roster them both like the aforementioned Ingram and Kamara
Yes, I drafted Penny, knowing Carson and who he was. I don't see him being a huge deterrent to Penny's ascendance to the lead back in Seattle. I think Samaje Perine has as much likeliness to siphon touches from Guice. I don't really see it as a desire, because it's so probable. The desire lies on the underdog side of Carson, because people who own the back that is worth a late round rookie pick want that player to gain value. Nothing has changed since the Hawks drafted Penny in my eyes. If you listen to the 20 minute press conference of Carroll and Schneider, they did a ton of research (obviously) and were enamoured with Penny. Carroll was walking around the room high fiving people when Penny was drafted. I think that if Carson won significant touches it would be a major surprise.

The Kamara and Ingram thing I'm not even bring into the conversation, I see it as a completely different scenario. It's all good. I don't really want to use any more of my time on this particular subject unless something actually happens at this point.

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:10 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:41 pm
_yeti wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:07 pm

Yes, I drafted Penny, knowing Carson and who he was. I don't see him being a huge deterrent to Penny's ascendance to the lead back in Seattle. I think Samaje Perine has as much likeliness to siphon touches from Guice. I don't really see it as a desire, because it's so probable. The desire lies on the underdog side of Carson, because people who own the back that is worth a late round rookie pick want that player to gain value. Nothing has changed since the Hawks drafted Penny in my eyes. If you listen to the 20 minute press conference of Carroll and Schneider, they did a ton of research (obviously) and were enamoured with Penny. Carroll was walking around the room high fiving people when Penny was drafted. I think that if Carson won significant touches it would be a major surprise.

The Kamara and Ingram thing I'm not even bring into the conversation, I see it as a completely different scenario. It's all good. I don't really want to use any more of my time on this particular subject unless something actually happens at this point.
You're done? Okay, well never one to give up the last word... Guice does what Perine does better. There are things that Carson can do better than Penny and vice versa. Where Kamara is a bit light, Ingram brings more through a hole, and Kamara is much more dynamic in space. By sharing touches they keep the defense tired, themselves more fresh, keep the defense guessing, and reduce the chance of injury. Now, if a player is head and shoulders better at all facets, then they (Gurley, Zeke, DJ, Bell, etc.) need to stay on the field. I see the Ingram-Kamara comparison being much more appropriate in this case than the bellcow backs mentioned or Guice to Perine.

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:20 am

Added a poll bc polls are fun. Want to see where the community falls on this.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: So you're telling me there's a chance! Chris Carson Edition ***POLL***

Postby nathanq42 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:25 am

I have both. I think Penny has the 3 down role as of now, and it is Carson's job to play his way into a committee.

I like both players and I think Carson is worth a stack not just as a handcuff, but also as a Tevin Coleman wait for his second contract on another team as the lead dog of a committee or as a 3 down back.

Both play incredibly well, but they have different, yet similar styles. I think based on what we have seen from both of them, Penny is more dynamic/explosive in space. Carson from what I've seen is better at grinding out the touch yards and turning a 2 yard run into 5 or 6.

I think the only thing Carson is likely to take from penny as of now is some goal line touches (2nd and 1 RIP)
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:57 am

I voted Penny leading a committee but I think it could be close to even. Carroll says a lot of fluffy stuff sometimes but you have to be careful because playing time doesn’t usually match what he says regarding RBs.
Carson is a tad slow getting going but when he does he’s a truck. Penny is a bit more finesse even at his size. I think the comparison to the Saints RBs is a good one. If one consistently rises he will be the most used but there will always be a committee imo as long as they both are healthy.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:32 pm

No options for CJ Prosise or Mike Davis? ;)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:28 pm

ArrylT wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:32 pm No options for CJ Prosise or Mike Davis? ;)
Or McKissic ? :thumbup:

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:30 pm

azthecrow wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:28 pm
ArrylT wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:32 pm No options for CJ Prosise or Mike Davis? ;)
I think tis because yeti hates to root for the underdog. He's really passionate about Rashaad Penny. :mrgreen:
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:20 am

azthecrow wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:57 am I voted Penny leading a committee but I think it could be close to even. Carroll says a lot of fluffy stuff sometimes but you have to be careful because playing time doesn’t usually match what he says regarding RBs.
Carson is a tad slow getting going but when he does he’s a truck. Penny is a bit more finesse even at his size. I think the comparison to the Saints RBs is a good one. If one consistently rises he will be the most used but there will always be a committee imo as long as they both are healthy.
Carroll's habit of saying on thing and divvying snaps in another way is why I'm leery and excited about getting into this backfield. Carson's price is low enough to make buying worthwhile.

I can see comparing this backfield to a poor man's 2017 Saints, if it does go to a 60-40 or 50-50 committee.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:24 pm

ArrylT wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:30 pm
azthecrow wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:28 pm
I think tis because yeti hates to root for the underdog. He's really passionate about Rashaad Penny. :mrgreen:
They're on the write-in ballot :wink:
For my money if I had to predict:
I said before I think McKissic will get some gadget touches, break a couple big plays if he stays on the roster. Davis the odd man out. Penny takes over any touches Prosise was going to get.