Andrew Luck resumes throwing regular NFL footballs

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Andrew Luck resumes throwing regular NFL footballs

Postby lukkynumber13 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:51 pm

UATahoe wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:30 pm This will ultimately come down to how well Luck adjusts to his new abilities. I think its inevitable that he will definitely not have the same arm talent he did before. It will mainly boil down to how much of that ability he still has and how well he can adjust his game to use it.
Very well said.

The NFL will always have starting jobs for QBs who are extremely smart and able to move well in the pocket, even if the arm strength is average or below-average.

As a fantasy owner, that will probably suck as his upside gets capped (especially without some more weapons), but as a Colts fan? I'm ok with 5-6 more years of Luck even with compromised arm strength.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Johnny Canuck
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Johnny Canuck » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:28 pm

GridironGuerilla wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:45 pm
thebeast wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:44 pm Holy cow. The guy hasn't thrown a football in two years, there are many articles that say a return to pre-injury form is unlikely and a bunch of guys still think everything is just going to end up fine? This is just bizarre.
I've been through this thread 3 times now trying to find all this "everything if fine" element you are suggesting permeates it. I'm seeing a few people being sarcastic about it, a bunch who still seem pessimistic, and some who remain optimistic and aren't extremely concerned about his limitations in OTA's. Am I missing something? There is a difference between exuberance and optimism regarding his potential return, and I don't see how optimism is "bizarre". I hven't seen single post suggesting that he will absolutely be back to previous form. I'm guess I'm just not seeing what you are.
I think some ppl have it set in their heads that Luck will never play again/Luck isn't going to be the same. Which is a one of multiple outcomes that may occur.

That's the hill they choose to die on, and I'm pumped that they want to keep pounding that opinion, gives the rest of us who are optimistic an opportunity to buy for cheap.

I think a lot of the ppl that are pessimistic on Luck might have dealt him during at some point during this injury/rehab, and now have sellers remorse. So now they're trying to reinforce the idea to their ego that they made the right call in dealing him. Either that, or they're attempting maintain his low value to get him in a trade. Orrrrrr maybe they just like to take the opposing view, who really knows. Either way, it's nothing to get all serious about, it's just a fun debate.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:29 pm

I think some of the bigger issues are going overlooked; Luck has been away for a long time - not even practicing and developing chemistry. He has a lot of new receivers to be working with and we are looking at training camp where he MAYBE starts to really get to work with them. On top of that; his top receiver is one who really benefits from a QB who can sling it down the field - and time will tell if Luck can still sling those deep balls to Hilton like he used to. I think he has average QB intelligence and cannot combat the loss of arm strength like Peyton Manning did for example. Not to mention - who knows how Luck is going to do after he gets hit a few time; especially having to go up against the Jaguars & Texans pass rushers twice a year.

UATahoe
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UATahoe » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:00 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:51 pm
UATahoe wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:30 pm This will ultimately come down to how well Luck adjusts to his new abilities. I think its inevitable that he will definitely not have the same arm talent he did before. It will mainly boil down to how much of that ability he still has and how well he can adjust his game to use it.
Very well said.

The NFL will always have starting jobs for QBs who are extremely smart and able to move well in the pocket, even if the arm strength is average or below-average.

As a fantasy owner, that will probably suck as his upside gets capped (especially without some more weapons), but as a Colts fan? I'm ok with 5-6 more years of Luck even with compromised arm strength.
A great example here is Peyton. There is no doubt his growing ability was greatly diminished when he left Indy but he adjusted and was still a dang good qb. And that was when he was old. Luck has youth on his side. I think he will find a way to adjust. He even alluded to as much in that press conference.
12 Team PPR League 1Qb 2Rb 3Wr 1Flex 1Te 1Def 1K

1 QB Mahomes, Dak Prescott
2 RB Mixon, Kamara, Melvin Gordon, Nick Chubb, Royce Freeman, Justice Hill, Boston Scott, Ito Smith
3 WR Godwin, K. Allen, A. Cooper, S. Watkins, DJ Moore, Michael Gallup, Kelvin Harmon, Martavis Bryant, Core Coleman(IR) Preston Williams(IR)
1 TE Mark Andrews, H. Henry, H. Hurst, Ian Thomas, Goedert
D/ST Bears
K Zane Gonzalez

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:53 pm

UATahoe wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:00 pm
lukkynumber13 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:51 pm
Very well said.

A great example here is Peyton. There is no doubt his growing ability was greatly diminished when he left Indy but he adjusted and was still a dang good qb. And that was when he was old. Luck has youth on his side. I think he will find a way to adjust. He even alluded to as much in that press conference.
Yea but Peyton's greatest asset was his football IQ. He was basically a hall of fame offensive coordinator that got to go out on the field and run his own plays. His arm talent was always average.

Luck is a smart guy but if we are talking about brains trumping a large decrease in physical ability there are few people that are ever going to measure up to Peyton.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:03 pm

A neck fusion (one level in the lower c/s?) in about as immobile of a qb as you can get is hardly the same limitation as a labral tear in a big-armed QB. I don’t think Peyton is the best example.

UATahoe
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UATahoe » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:41 am

You guys are missing the point. Nowhere was I implying the injuries are the same or the QB’s are on the same level.

It was obvious Peyton’s game had drastically diminished after the injury so he had to adjust and lean more on his understanding of the game.

I think the same will have to be true for Luck. Not saying he has to be just like Peyton but he will have to raise his game in other areas he can control to adjust to life after the injury.
12 Team PPR League 1Qb 2Rb 3Wr 1Flex 1Te 1Def 1K

1 QB Mahomes, Dak Prescott
2 RB Mixon, Kamara, Melvin Gordon, Nick Chubb, Royce Freeman, Justice Hill, Boston Scott, Ito Smith
3 WR Godwin, K. Allen, A. Cooper, S. Watkins, DJ Moore, Michael Gallup, Kelvin Harmon, Martavis Bryant, Core Coleman(IR) Preston Williams(IR)
1 TE Mark Andrews, H. Henry, H. Hurst, Ian Thomas, Goedert
D/ST Bears
K Zane Gonzalez

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:03 pm

TheRookiePro
Starter
Starter

Postby TheRookiePro » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:26 pm

It's amazing how once something is repeated over and over again it becomes a fact in most people's minds. Everyone on television keeps saying that Luck hasn't played in 2 years. His last game was on New Year Year's Day 2016. Last time I checked it's currently July 20th 2018.

People love to throw away his 2016 season. We get it, he's missed a ton of games(26) in the past 3 years. But it's not like he's been out of football for two years.
10 Team PPR, 25 man roster(1st and 2nd year player PS option for $20), QB, 2 RB, 3WR, TE, FLEX (RB,WR,TE), K, DEF.

QB-Luck, A. Smith, Fitzpatrick
RB-Gurley, M. Gordon, Jeff Wilson, Tevin Coleman,T. Montgomery, John Kelly, Justin Davis
WR-K. Allen, T. Hill, Josh Gordon, Golladay, Fitzgerald, S. Watkins, J. Reynolds, Enunwa,
TE-Burton, Ebron, Walker
K-Gostkowski
Defense-Vikings, Jaguars, Ravens

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:56 pm

so if we said a year and a half, you wouldn't have gotten that upset?
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

Johnny Canuck
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Johnny Canuck » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:27 pm

joeya2001 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:56 pm so if we said a year and a half, you wouldn't have gotten that upset?
Accuracy is important.

Unless you're a storm trooper...you wouldn't want to be a storm trooper would you?

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:43 pm

TheRookiePro wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:26 pm It's amazing how once something is repeated over and over again it becomes a fact in most people's minds. Everyone on television keeps saying that Luck hasn't played in 2 years. His last game was on New Year Year's Day 2016. Last time I checked it's currently July 20th 2018.

People love to throw away his 2016 season. We get it, he's missed a ton of games(26) in the past 3 years. But it's not like he's been out of football for two years.
I don't think anyone was concerned that if Luck was 100% healthy that he would have forgot how to play or something. The concern, which I still have for him, is what's going to happen when his pitch count is high, or when the shoulder gets hit while throwing, which will happen. I think he still has a long way to go before being out of the woods, but this is a great step in the right direction and I am truly happy for him. Still, I wouldn't touch him in a dynasty league at any price point, he's not worth the risk to me, perhaps I will feel differently at the end of this year. To be fair I would have said the same thing about Stafford after his two shoulder injuries, but he's been pretty healthy for a long time.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:30 am

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... t-practice

This may ease some owners Luck concerns.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:48 am

ArrylT wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:30 am http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... t-practice

This may ease some owners Luck concerns.
My concerns are not going to be alleviated until hitting starts.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick