Saquon Barkley - Dynasty Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Saquon Barkley At Peak Value?

Postby jeffster » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:20 pm

kris_kapsner wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:14 am
It's an interesting point to make, but not very relevant to whether both Barkley and OBJ can both be elite.

Obviously, OBJ is better than any WR Manning had prior to him getting there. Engram is more talented than any TE Manning has ever had to work with. Barkley blows every RB away that has EVER been with the Giants as far as his talent goes.

However, what this does show is that people are probably undervaluing Eli Manning in drafts. He could easily put up very strong numbers for the next few years before he retires. If I had a young QB who I'm hoping to become elite, Eli would be a perfect guy to have as a back up. He never gets hurt and he should put up good numbers this year and will come at a cheap price.
This is so overly-optimistic that it actually goes perfectly with the point of the thread. Completely discount the downside risk while assuming all the upside to be true.

Yes, all of that upside is possible, for both Barkley and the Giant's offense. But the risk is real, and now you're suggesting we raise Manning's value rather than lower anyone else's to account for it.

Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Defender » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:17 pm

ArrylT wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:17 pm ...
Todd Gurley, Zeke Elliot, Leveon Bell, David Johnson & Devonta Freeman
Gurley came into the league this injury concerns, then had to deal with a vanilla Fisher offense. Only in 2017 did he look truly special to the public. But yes, be should be everyone’s top RB.

Elliot and Bell have both had suspension issues. And Bell possibly leaving PIT may concern owners.

Johnson was an old rookie. Also, the offense is being retooled.

Freeman is not a bellcow. He has, and will likely always have a running-mate. But that’s okay. It helps to keep him healthy.

What I am trying to say about Barkley is this: No other top RB looks so studly without blemish. The biggest risk associated is he fact that he is a rookie. But, ‘tis the season.
The standard is the standard.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:11 am

Every player has blemishes and faults - many people are just choosing to ignore / overlook whatever faults / blemishes Barkley has. But that is in part what I am looking for (and much appreciate your response).

However if a player is so blemish free then that suggests both his floor & ceiling are higher - which means should they not reach that already higher than normal expectations - then their value should see a drop. Which in turn leads to one of the questions I was asking which was what was the minimal floor and expected ceiling you are looking for out of Barkley at his current ADP.

The ceiling for some seems to be Marshall Faulk in his prime. I'm still curious to know what the minimal floor is needed to keep him on that path.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:40 am

ArrylT wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:11 am Every player has blemishes and faults - many people are just choosing to ignore / overlook whatever faults / blemishes Barkley has. But that is in part what I am looking for (and much appreciate your response).

However if a player is so blemish free then that suggests both his floor & ceiling are higher - which means should they not reach that already higher than normal expectations - then their value should see a drop. Which in turn leads to one of the questions I was asking which was what was the minimal floor and expected ceiling you are looking for out of Barkley at his current ADP.

The ceiling for some seems to be Marshall Faulk in his prime. I'm still curious to know what the minimal floor is needed to keep him on that path.
This is very true, much like people were so absorbed in Mixon's off the field issues last year that they forgot to look at his very apparent on the field issues.

I like Barkley a lot, mainly because of his upside. But it's very much being ignored that for a running back he kind of struggles running the ball between the tackles.

There is a stat out there called "yards created per touch" which is meant to measure how many yards the RB gained on a run compared to what an average RB would have gotten with the play as blocked. The goal is to remove the effect of offensive line play similar to the way dominator is designed to remove QB play for receivers. In that metric, Barkley scored off the charts insanely awesome on runs outside the tackles, but scored well below average on runs between the tackles.

"Well below average" relative to college peers is pretty bad for a generational RB prospect. Now granted, the creator of the stat, who loves Barkley, attempted to dismiss it by noting how poorly Penn State's line graded in his line rankings. But the whole point of the stat is to separate the RB from O-line play. And that's how much people like Barkley, the guy was willing to throw his own stat under the bus rather than criticize Barkley.

Likewise on the notion of his terrible Penn St line ranking, Fournette's line ranked equally bad and Dalvin Cook's line wasn't far behind, and both of them graded out very well in yards created per rush on runs between the tackles, so clearly just having a bad O-line doesn't make it such that you can't create yards inside. Only Barkley struggled with that.

This struggle in between the tackles came through on the field too, as Barkley had a tendency to disappear in games way more than other generational RBs. In Barkley's final two years alone he had a whopping SIX games were he received double digit carries and failed to crack 3ypc, some of them against some pretty lousy defenses (Indiana, twice). That is really really bad relative to other college RB prospects. By comparison that never happened to Zeke, it happened to Gurley only once. Most notably, since he had a similarly bad O-line and even worse QB play, is Leonard Fournette whom it happened to only twice in his final two seasons, both against one of the best defenses in the nation (Alabama).

Obviously Barkley's floor is pretty nice because of his receiving ability and his ability to break off big plays. But to reach his upside he's going to need to do it all, and he still needs to learn to do the meat of the RB work. He struggles between the tackles to some extent and for such a big guy, he really doesn't run with nearly as much power as he should. He struggles to grind out games where he can't get the ball out in space. I know the line was bad, but if you're the next great running back you shouldn't be be gaining 58 yards on 33 carries against Indiana while playing on a top 5 college football team.

I am still a buyer on Barkley, but he is not as bullet proof as people seem to think.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Rosenbluu
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Rosenbluu » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:52 am

Agreed with above, seems like nobody noticed how he can’t run between the tackles. I remember watching multiple games were he couldn’t do anything but bounce it outside.
12 Team PPR
QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex
QB: Mahomes/Jones
RB: Mixon/Chubb/Mostert/Burkhead/McKinnon
WR: Wilson/JuJu/Marquise/Mooney/Campbell/Dotson/Osborn/Julio/Tolbert/Shakir/Metchie
TE: Andrews/Hurst

Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Barkley Ranked #2

Postby Never Veto1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:26 am

Barkley being ranked as the #2 RB on this site is criminal, it seriously makes me doubt having a subscription to premium.
12 Team 1QB PPR
8 Starters - QB 1, RB 2(4), WR 3(5), TE 1(3)

QB - Kyler Murray, Derek Carr, Kenny Pickett
RB - Christian McCaffrey, Bijan Robinson, Kyren Williams, Travis Etienne, James Conner, Antonio Gibson, Chris Rodriguez
WR - Tee Higgins, Jordan Addison, Michael Pittman, Nico Collins, Rashee Rice, Christian Watson, Jerry Jeudy, Rashod Bateman
TE - Sam Laporta, Kyle Pitts, Darren Waller, Isaiah Likely
Picks - 2.10, 3.10, 4.10, 5.10

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Barkley Ranked #2

Postby GridironGuerilla » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:29 am

Saw that. I'm a Barkley believer but that seemed absurd to me. I would have suspected at LEAST Gurley, Elliot, Bell, and Johnson would be ahead of him.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:31 am

Things like this make me happy I do not use rankings for my evaluations.

Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Never Veto1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:46 am

The problem is some people are new to the game or may not have as much knowledge as others, so they might rely on rankings to give them an idea. It's doing those individuals a huge disservice. I honestly haven't looked at them in months, but have a draft going on and was debating between Foles and Treadwell, just wanted to see if either was ranked and I was shocked to see the RB rankings.
12 Team 1QB PPR
8 Starters - QB 1, RB 2(4), WR 3(5), TE 1(3)

QB - Kyler Murray, Derek Carr, Kenny Pickett
RB - Christian McCaffrey, Bijan Robinson, Kyren Williams, Travis Etienne, James Conner, Antonio Gibson, Chris Rodriguez
WR - Tee Higgins, Jordan Addison, Michael Pittman, Nico Collins, Rashee Rice, Christian Watson, Jerry Jeudy, Rashod Bateman
TE - Sam Laporta, Kyle Pitts, Darren Waller, Isaiah Likely
Picks - 2.10, 3.10, 4.10, 5.10

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:47 am

Well hes tied for 2nd with Elliott . But really he should be at best 5th.

The issue is that everyone wants to get a jump on potential elite talent and rank them as such.
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:59 am

There is nothing criminal about it. This is basically Lebron entering the NBA, it's as can't miss as it gets. Unless he gets derailed by some freak injury, Barkley is going to be really special, just get on board. That being said, 2 is probably a little high as I would take Gurley and Elliot before him, but no one else...

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:03 am

I wouldn't put him lower than 3, and I can see how someone puts him above all of them.

Gurley has had one great season. Zeke is an absolute stud, but a moron. Bell has a lot of tread on his tires and will likely be out of PIT by 2019. And DJ also had one great season.

If I was doing a start-up and looking to pick RB, I might take Barkley ahead of them all. In fact, it isn't a question for me. I WOULD take Barkley ahead of them all. He is younger, stronger, faster, moves better, has better hands, and has a better head/character than any of these guys.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:14 am

He's not in my top 5 and it isn't "criminal", just laughable. There is no rookie who ever should be viewed that valuable coming into the league. Any experienced owner should know better.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

UATahoe
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UATahoe » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:19 am

Where is everybody seeing him at 2? All of the rankings i pull up show him no higher than 3 behind Gurley and Zeke.
12 Team PPR League 1Qb 2Rb 3Wr 1Flex 1Te 1Def 1K

1 QB Mahomes, Dak Prescott
2 RB Mixon, Kamara, Melvin Gordon, Nick Chubb, Royce Freeman, Justice Hill, Boston Scott, Ito Smith
3 WR Godwin, K. Allen, A. Cooper, S. Watkins, DJ Moore, Michael Gallup, Kelvin Harmon, Martavis Bryant, Core Coleman(IR) Preston Williams(IR)
1 TE Mark Andrews, H. Henry, H. Hurst, Ian Thomas, Goedert
D/ST Bears
K Zane Gonzalez

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:27 am

That's actually another oddity in the rankings. You are looking at "overall top 200 rankings" and he is 3rd there, yet if you filter to RB rankings he's 2. A little inconsistency for you.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland