Mason Rudolph

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
joeylitz
Role Player
Role Player

Mason Rudolph

Postby joeylitz » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:44 pm

So what do we think of this guy? According to Rotoworld, “Steelers GM Kevin Colbert said third-round pick Mason Rudolph "was with the group of the top quarterbacks" on their board. Pittsburgh moved up three spots in the third to get Rudolph, giving up a seventh-round pick in the process. "We didn't want to take that risk," Colbert said. "Mason Rudolph was somebody that we valued as much as the rest of those quarterbacks that were drafted." ”

Now that might be a bit of hyperbole or it might not. Do the Steelers view him as Ben’s replacement? And what about Big Ben, who has been thinking out loud about retirement for two years now...he says he will play 3 more years but will he? Or is that just ego because the Steelers traded up to draft a QB in the 3rd?
2016 Frozen Tundra Dynasty League Champions
12 Team Dynasty, PPR, 1QB-2RB-3WR-1TE-1FLEX-1PK-1DST

QB: Brees. Wentz, Winston, Rudolph
RB: L. Bell, J. Conner, Michel. McKinnon, L. Miller, Montgomery, T. Riddick, Prosise, J. Conner,
WR: A. Robinson, Woods, M. Jones, Godwin, Boyd, Crabtree, Moncrief, Gabriel, C. Henderson, J. Washington, J. Moore
TE: D. Walker. Hooper, I. Thomas
K: Elliott
DST: DEN. KC

Draft:
1.08: Hockenson
2.08: JAWS
3.08:

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Re: Mason Rudolph

Postby Valhalla » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:44 pm

I like him quite a bit...but there’s not a lot of point in rostering him in most leagues. In a superflex, 3+ taxi, 16+ team, or just plain deep roster league, sure he’s definitely worth rostering as I think the future is bright. That future is probably 3 years out, though.

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:15 am

Excellent taxi squad candidate. In superflex and 2qb, he should be rostered everywhere.

But there are a few of these guys every year, and the odds aren't very good he's ever fantasy relevant. Stash for cheap in leagues that have high QB values, is the bottom line.

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:02 am

If the coaching staff really valued him with the rest of the QBs that went in the first 10 picks of the NFL draft, why did they draft James Washington in the second round and not Mason Rudolph? You would think they would have traded up in the 2nd to get the QB they valued highly.

I think it's mostly coach speak but he is in a good situation to sit a few years and learn so I like his odds of becoming the eventual starter. I think the coach speak was just to stroke their own ego and make themselves feel like they won the draft.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:58 am

Valhalla wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:44 pm I like him quite a bit...but there’s not a lot of point in rostering him in most leagues. In a superflex, 3+ taxi, 16+ team, or just plain deep roster league, sure he’s definitely worth rostering as I think the future is bright. That future is probably 3 years out, though.
Agree. With Ben's re-finding his commitment after Rudolph was drafted *eyeroll* there is no reason to waste a roster spot for a few years. Too much can change in that time. Like Valhalla said, unless it's a deep SF/2QB league or you have a massive taxi, he's just a name to monitor over the coming years.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:49 am

jeffster wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:15 am Excellent taxi squad candidate. In superflex and 2qb, he should be rostered everywhere.

But there are a few of these guys every year, and the odds aren't very good he's ever fantasy relevant. Stash for cheap in leagues that have high QB values, is the bottom line.
I agree with this. The odds of him busting are probably higher than him ever becoming fantasy relevant, but seems like a nice stash in leagues where QBs are valued highly. I like him and am rooting for him, but also tempering my expectations.

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:53 am

Goddard wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:49 am
jeffster wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:15 am Excellent taxi squad candidate. In superflex and 2qb, he should be rostered everywhere.

I agree with this. The odds of him busting are probably higher than him ever becoming fantasy relevant, but seems like a nice stash in leagues where QBs are valued highly. I like him and am rooting for him, but also tempering my expectations.
Third..ed? Haha..if you have taxi squad pace absolutely roster worthy. If it's QB premium, and the rosters deep enough, also worthy. 1QB leagues, soft pass. Ben does seem to miss a couple games each season though, so there's a good chance we get to see him in some game action this year. Assuming he's QB2.

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:45 pm

I took him at 4.02 after the top 5 QBs went much earlier than I expected ... given the team he is on, I don't see why he doesn't have every bit the chance as the others to be a good fantasy QB.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:15 pm

Rudolph was a good prospect coming into college and finished as a solid prospect coming out of OSU.

Will he get a legit shot to start if Ben hangs it up any time soon? Not sure, but you have to imagine the backup job is his' to lose...since Landry Jones is Landry Jones and the Josh Dobbs experiment looks finished after 1 year.

playa_hata
All Pro
All Pro

Postby playa_hata » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:19 pm

I wish i had him on my team (super flex) I think he could very well be one of those guys who gets a shot due to injury and looks so good that its hard to take him out... that being said this is a very specific instance but just a gut feeling.
12 team PPR SuperFlex start 9 (Same for each team)

TM1
QB: Rodgers, Rivers, Dak, Dalton, Smith
RB: Zeke, CMC, Jacobs, Chubb, Gore, Dearnest
WR: Davante Adams, Tyreek, Fuller, Aj Brown, AB, MVS, Fulgham, Ward, Fitz, Beasley, amendola, zaccheus
TE: Ertz, Engram, Fells

TM2
QB: Rodgers, Baker, Stafford, Bridgewater
RB:Kamara, Chubb, Hunt, Singletary
WR:M Evans,D Adams,Kupp, AJ brown, lockett, sanders,miller, Patrick, Robinson, Hamilton, Lasley, D.Robinson, Trey Quinn, Scantling, agholor
TE: Kelce, Rudolph, Irv smith, gronk, Burton

BeeziBad
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BeeziBad » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:21 pm

Landry Jones was the future at one point. As was Dobbs. Grain of salt here.
The Mega Powers - 12Team - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/2FLEX/1K - 1PPR
QB - R. Tannehill, T. Bridgewater
RB - J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, C. Akers, Z. Moss, R. Jones, R. Armstead, M. Davis, C. Edmonds
WR - J. Jeudy, H. Ruggs, T. Higgins, L. Shenault, C. Claypool, J. Reagor, C. Davis, J. Washington, B. Aiyuk, Q. Cephus, KJ Hamler, A. Lazard
TE - C. Herndon, D. Sample
Picks - 2021 - 1, 1, 1

Jabroni Beaters - 10Team - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/2FLEX/1K - NONPPR
QB - P. Mahomes B. Mayfield
RB - S. Barkley, E. Elliott, JK Dobbins, A. Peterson, M. Breida, D. Freeman
WR - T. Hill. AJ Brown, DJ Moore, J. Jefferson, J. Edelman, B. Aiyuk, L. Shenault, JJAW, B. Edwards
TE - Z. Ertz, H. Hurst, J. Smith

SuperSonics - 10Team - 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/2FLEX/1K - .5 PPR
QB - S. Darnold, R. Tannehill, C. Newton
RB - E. Elliott, N. Chubb, D. Cook, R. Jones, A. Peterson
WR - T. Hill, O. Beckham, D. Metcalf, C. Davis, H. Renfrow, R. Cobb
TE - Z. Ertz, E. Engram, H. Henry, J. Smith, K. Rudolph
Picks - 2020 - 2.7
2021 - 2, 3

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:30 pm

BeeziBad wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:21 pm Landry Jones was the future at one point. As was Dobbs. Grain of salt here.
True but Jones was a Day 3 selection in a weak QB class. EJ Manuel was the only 1st rounder in 2013 - and I'm pretty sure the buzz was that the Bills overdrafted him (out of need?)

Dobbs still has a chance to be the future if he can beat out Rudolph for the backup role (but obviously the Steelers wouldnt have taken Rudolph in the 3rd if they thought he would be readily beaten out by Dobbs).
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

BeeziBad
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BeeziBad » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:38 pm

ArrylT wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:30 pm
BeeziBad wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:21 pm Landry Jones was the future at one point. As was Dobbs. Grain of salt here.
True but Jones was a Day 3 selection in a weak QB class. EJ Manuel was the only 1st rounder in 2013 - and I'm pretty sure the buzz was that the Bills overdrafted him (out of need?)

Dobbs still has a chance to be the future if he can beat out Rudolph for the backup role (but obviously the Steelers wouldnt have taken Rudolph in the 3rd if they thought he would be readily beaten out by Dobbs).
Good point about Jones. as a steelers fan, i never liked Jones until i saw Dobbs play(awful). Hopefully third times a charm. or, just bring back charlie batch. top 5 back up all time :)
The Mega Powers - 12Team - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/2FLEX/1K - 1PPR
QB - R. Tannehill, T. Bridgewater
RB - J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, C. Akers, Z. Moss, R. Jones, R. Armstead, M. Davis, C. Edmonds
WR - J. Jeudy, H. Ruggs, T. Higgins, L. Shenault, C. Claypool, J. Reagor, C. Davis, J. Washington, B. Aiyuk, Q. Cephus, KJ Hamler, A. Lazard
TE - C. Herndon, D. Sample
Picks - 2021 - 1, 1, 1

Jabroni Beaters - 10Team - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/2FLEX/1K - NONPPR
QB - P. Mahomes B. Mayfield
RB - S. Barkley, E. Elliott, JK Dobbins, A. Peterson, M. Breida, D. Freeman
WR - T. Hill. AJ Brown, DJ Moore, J. Jefferson, J. Edelman, B. Aiyuk, L. Shenault, JJAW, B. Edwards
TE - Z. Ertz, H. Hurst, J. Smith

SuperSonics - 10Team - 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/2FLEX/1K - .5 PPR
QB - S. Darnold, R. Tannehill, C. Newton
RB - E. Elliott, N. Chubb, D. Cook, R. Jones, A. Peterson
WR - T. Hill, O. Beckham, D. Metcalf, C. Davis, H. Renfrow, R. Cobb
TE - Z. Ertz, E. Engram, H. Henry, J. Smith, K. Rudolph
Picks - 2020 - 2.7
2021 - 2, 3

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:07 am

I don't see a lot of hope for Rudolph. Big Ben changed his tune on retirement immediately after Haley was fired. I don't think that was coincidence and makes me question whether he was ever seriously considering retirement or if he was just angling to get Haley fired.

Even beyond that, I don't see Rudolph as a long term option. Smallish hands, weakish arm and he'll be taking over an offense built around Big Ben even if he gets a shot. The best you can hope for is that he has one great game coming off the bench and retirement rumors start up again.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:29 am

I think hand size for QBs is becoming like 40 times for RBs. It can be part of the picture, but is not a guarantee of success or failure. If you have 2 similar prospects and one has bigger hand size, and want to use that as a tie-breaker by all means. I just dont see hand size as a make or break decision.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..