Russell Wilson Discussion Thread - Split with Seahawks?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Russell Wilson QB SEA

Postby dm1129 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:16 pm

I have been thinking since I originally posted this thread. What are the main arguments against an 'undersized' QB in the NFL? I'm not asking this rhetorically, I am honestly trying to figure it out. The primary ones I have thought of are:

1.) Not able to survey field because vision is hampered by line. (As has been posted earlier, the offensive line that Russell played behind at Wisconsin is bigger than the one he is currently playing behind.)

2.) Not able to handle the physical punishment of the NFL.

If there are others, by all means please post them.

With those 2 factors stated, what is it about Brees and Vick(both an inch taller than Russell) which allows them to succeed? In Vick's case, he is a phenomenal athlete, so perhaps it is solely explained by that. In Brees' case, I would not categorize him as a phenomenal athlete, yet he is one of the best QBs in the game. I do recall much of the same argument against him and his height when he came out of college. What is it about Brees that allows him to be a great QB? Again, I am not asking this rhetorically, I would like any opinions anyone cares to share.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:29 pm

The stock reasons are field of vision and risk of a high percentage of batted balls.

It doesn't always come down to measurables. Brees doesn't have the prototype QB build but he's produced at a HOF level. But there's risk in that for teams in the draft. Thus a guy like Luck who (appears) to have both the intangibles and the build is a consensus 1.01 pick. The draft is somewhat about playing the odds. If a guy has question marks (like Wilson) he drops. Like was said earlier, if he was 6'2" he probably would have been a first rounder.

dlf_erich
MVP
MVP

Postby dlf_erich » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:22 pm

dlf_tims wrote:The stock reasons are field of vision and risk of a high percentage of batted balls.

It doesn't always come down to measurables. Brees doesn't have the prototype QB build but he's produced at a HOF level. But there's risk in that for teams in the draft. Thus a guy like Luck who (appears) to have both the intangibles and the build is a consensus 1.01 pick. The draft is somewhat about playing the odds. If a guy has question marks (like Wilson) he drops. Like was said earlier, if he was 6'2" he probably would have been a first rounder.
I've given my reasons earlier in the thread why I think Wilson has a chance. With that said, he's just going to be one of those "gut feeling, plant your flag" kinda guys. Pete Carroll and John Schneider had a feeling, and they drafted him early. I have a gut feeling on him, because the guy is a winner in every sense of the word, and only lacks stature. If my avatar hasn't given it away, I watch a lot of B10 football. Wilson is a legit talent.
Twitter: @EDH_27

TheOracle
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby TheOracle » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:23 pm

Wilson has a high release point- he comes about as close to being straight over-the-top as anybody. It doesn't completely negate the height issue, but it helps. I have him as the QB28-30 or so, but I don't play in any leagues where that type of guy is rostered, so I'll be watching the waiver-wire for him. I do think he's worth rostering if your team isn't contending any time soon.
12 team//24 Man Roster//1QB,2RB,4WR,1TE,1RB/WR/TE/1K/1DST//0.5 point PPR//$350 Salary Cap (Salary per year/Years)
QB= Stafford (19/3), Luck (10/1), Locker (1/1),
RB= Forte (39/3), Murray (11/3), Mathews (34/3), Martin (10/1), Tate (11/3), Hunter (6/1), F. Jones (3/1)
WR= Green (21/3), Harvin (27/3), Maclin (33/3), Bowe (23/1) Thomas (11/3), Quick (5/1), Hill (10/1)
TE= Hernandez (19/1), Rudolph (8/1)

12 Team, non-PPR, All TDs 6, QB, 2 RB, 4 WR, TE, RB/WR/TE, DEF, K, 20 man rosters, cut to 14 for Rookie/FA Draft
QB: RG3, Newton, Wilson
RB: Richardson, Martin, Spiller, Charles, L. Miller, L. James,
WR: AJ Green, Julio Jones, Cruz, Marshall, Fitzgerald, Alexander, Hankerson,
TE: Gronk,

xlote
Starter
Starter

Postby xlote » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:45 pm

I mentioned a stat I ran across regarding % batted balls last year in college. Wilson was incredibly low, much lower than RG3.

He maneuvers outside the pockett to find passing lanes, but like Romo he maneuvers inside the pockect to get off a pass also.

It's early days, but he looked real good in his first game.

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:02 pm

Cpiritual27 wrote:
dlf_tims wrote:The stock reasons are field of vision and risk of a high percentage of batted balls.

I've given my reasons earlier in the thread why I think Wilson has a chance. With that said, he's just going to be one of those "gut feeling, plant your flag" kinda guys. Pete Carroll and John Schneider had a feeling, and they drafted him early. I have a gut feeling on him, because the guy is a winner in every sense of the word, and only lacks stature. If my avatar hasn't given it away, I watch a lot of B10 football. Wilson is a legit talent.
Thank you Cpiritual27 . That is exactly what I am thinking. After watching the game last night, my gut is telling me this guy is going to be good, maybe really good if given the weapons. I am going to target him in my draft later this month.

shivs
Captain
Captain

Postby shivs » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:36 am

xlote wrote:I mentioned a stat I ran across regarding % batted balls last year in college. Wilson was incredibly low, much lower than RG3.

He maneuvers outside the pockett to find passing lanes, but like Romo he maneuvers inside the pockect to get off a pass also.

It's early days, but he looked real good in his first game.
Sounds to me like Doug Flutie. Hopefully Wilson doesn't need a prolonged stint in the CFL for teams to figure out he's a solid QB.
"Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it" - Steve Prefontaine

12 Tm, nonPPR, kr's, IDP. QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, RB/WR/TE, K, DL, LB, DB, DL/LB/DB
QB: P. Manning, Glennon, Palmer, Freeman
RB: Peterson, Rice, R. Bush, J. Bell, Pierce, Cunningham
WR: A. Johnson, J. Nelson, Fitzgerald, M. Austin, M. Jones, Givens, Hartline, Wayne (IR)
TE: Graham, Gates, Bostick, Hill
K: Novak
DL: Quinn, Wake
LB: Laurinaitis, Posluszny, Washington
DB: Barron

pntgvn2399
Captain
Captain

Russell Wilson for real?

Postby pntgvn2399 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:28 pm

There is just something about this kid and the poise he shows that seriously makes me think he can not only be a starting QB at some point but a pretty darn good one. He just destroyed the defense in the game tonight, albeit against 2nd and 3rd stringers however at the same time he is also playing with 2nd and 3rd string guys. If this is a true QB competition Wilson should get the start next week, I would like to see what he can do against the ones. If he doesn't then its obvious this was never a competition and the money they paid Flynn makes him the starter regardless..
12 Team PPR IDP
Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex 3-4-4 D
QB- P. Manning, Wilson, Carr
RB- McCoy, Foster, Ball, Vereen, Tate, Ivory, C. Michael, L Murray
WR- Megatron, Dez, Watkins, Gordon, Cooks, Quick, Nicks, Bowe, Shorts, M Wilson
TE- Cameron, Donnel, Green
DT- Jernigan
DE- Campbell, Vernon, Nincovich, Casey, Griffen
LB- David, Shazier, Smith, Tulloch, McClain, Riley, Collins, Alonzo (IR)
CB- Cason, Sherman, McCourty
S- Pollard, Landry, Chancellor, Mathieu, McDonald

12 Team PPR IDP
Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex 3-4-4 D
QB- Kaepernick, Bortles
RB- Lynch, Bernard Vereen, J. Bell, Ivory, Michael, Robinson, L Murray
WR- Julio, Mi. Floyd, Crabtree, Woods, Lee, Nicks
TE- Graham, Green, Wright
DT- Joseph, Donald
DE- Quinn, C Jones, C Johnson, M Johnson, Clemons, Lawrence
LB-Worrilow, Dansby, Levy, Marshall , McClain, Bartu, Mauga, Alonzo (IR), Johnson (IR)
CB- Jospeh, Verner
S- Bethea, Jones, Blanton

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Re: Russell Wilson for real?

Postby ericanadian » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:58 pm

First, Seattle's second string WRs are arguably as good as their first string. That said, I'll be wondering what Wilson has to do to get a shot if Flynn gets the start after this. Flynn didn't do much of anything and Wilson is lighting it up... I'm a little biased goven that I have Wilson, but still.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Hawks Nest 12th Man
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hawks Nest 12th Man » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:50 pm

ericanadian wrote:First, Seattle's second string WRs are arguably as good as their first string. That said, I'll be wondering what Wilson has to do to get a shot if Flynn gets the start after this. Flynn didn't do much of anything and Wilson is lighting it up... I'm a little biased goven that I have Wilson, but still.
Flynn s stat line would look a lot better if TO doesn't drop a perfect strike down the middle of the field. Wilson's. 2 tds 1 was off a checkdown to rb other was in garbage time. That being said I see the IT factor with Wilson jus hope it's more of a vick or Bree s vs another Seneca Wallace
DONKEY PUNCHERS....12 teams start 1qb, 1rb, 2wr, 1flex rb/wr/te, te, k, d/sp, 0.5ppr, all tds 6pts, 0.1pt run/rec yd, .033pt pass yd, .04 return yd all return tds 6pts, 20 player roster, 1 IR Spot, 2pt bonus all tds over 50yds...
QBs Luck, Mayfield
RBs McCaffery, Kerryon, Drake, Breida, Gio
WRs C. Davis, T Boyd, D Hamilton, Kupp, Westbrook, MVS, Callaway
TEs Engram, Graham, Hurst
DEF/SP Bills
K Elliot

The Savior
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby The Savior » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:27 am

Russell Wilson is for real. I doubt he starts from Day 1, but I'd definitely stash him.

henry1jg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby henry1jg » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:58 am

I really like him. He has that moxy & charisma that one needs to be succesful at QB in the NFL.
Barrow Snowmen- 14 team - 0.5 PPR, IDP - Yr 19
Jacksonville Jaguars - 32 team - Real GM - Yr 13
Barrow Snowmen #2 - 14 team - SF, PPR - Yr 2
Jimmy Graham Cracker wrote:Don't let your recency bias affect your judgment.

CluelessJoe
Rookie
Rookie

Postby CluelessJoe » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:09 am

Tim Tebow with a legit arm. Sign me up.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:44 am

Tebow? You crazy? Nothing like Tebow.

I just got offered Leon Washington and AJ Jenkins for him. I chuckled a bit given that I'm in a 16 team league where QBs are gold.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

lukeb
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby lukeb » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:15 am

When all is said and done, Wilson will be one of the top 2 QBs out of this draft class.
DLF Writer and Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter at dynastyluke