Create A Rule And Implement Going Forward
77%
Something Else (Explain In Post)
12%

Total votes: 60

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Re: What Should I Do To Address Tanking?

Postby MEuRaH » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:00 am

Silver Star wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:58 amI was very upset and kinda lashed out at the owner for ruining the integrity of the league.
Lashing out at an owner for doing something weaselly but not illegal, in my opinion, also ruins the integrity of the league.
He told me it wasn't against the rules or bylaws, but he was willing to fix his lineup for that week. We went ahead and did that
He's 100% right. In fact, some leagues fully support tanking as a valid way to improve ones team. He didn't even have to fix his lineup, according to the rules, but he did anyway because you asked him to. Quality owner!
Personally, I've never felt that the rules and bylaws are set-in stone.
They are, unless the entire league votes to change them. That's the definition of a rule.
they are really just guidelines, and in my experience, I've never had someone just start inactive players, so I've never felt it necessary to hard-code anti-tanking or best lineup rules.
No. You called them rules, so don't go calling them guidelines later on. And just because it hasn't happened in your experience doesn't mean it won't happen ever. It's your fault entirely for not putting tanking rules in the original league constitution, and it's everyone else's fault for signing onto the league and playing out the year without tanking rules in place.

Everyone's fault, except the tanker, who is 100% in the right.
Furthermore, many teams have complained that what the owner did was unfair, as it dropped them down in the draft.
I don't care. It's not against the rules. Also, you shouldn't have forced the owner to start a lineup after 2 weeks without allowing everyone else to do the same. So you kind of created a bigger mess by applying arbitrary rules to one owner and not to everyone else.
I kind of want to change the draft order
No. You can't just do that because "I don't like the mess I unintentionally created".
I've also thought about removing the tanking owner entirely, because I just feel like his behavior was unacceptable. Regardless of it being in the rules or not, who does that!?
This is ridiculous. Behavior? He did what was in the best interest of his team. It wasn't illegal, and he agreed to not do it again even though he didn't have to listen to you. Honestly, I'd want this owner in my league. He follows the rules, he plays smart, and he listens to the commish.
It has also been suggested that I just create a new rule and implement going forward
Yes, this. An owner tanks because he wants a higher draft pick. If the draft order is determined by record, you'll get owners starting bad or inactive players.

HOWEVER, if you can make it so the rookie draft order is determined by potential points, you'll almost 100% get rid of tanking entirely. Do this, young padawan.
I feel like he needs to be punished somehow.
YOU need to be punished; for your terrible rules, improper anger towards an owner following the rules, actions taken against an owner following the rules, and then posting a public post that is obviously anti-owner for following the rules. You're obviously mad and frustrated at the owner, but it should all be directed at yourself. If you did your due diligence and homework and created/implemented anti-tanking rules in the first place, none of this would have happened. You're deflecting blame off of yourself and putting it squarely on the owner-in-question's shoulders. You owe him an apology.

Use this as a learning experience and move on. Make the rule I suggested above, VOTE ON IT, and implement it.

And then find out other things that need to be changed/updated and do that too before it, too, becomes a problem.
Last edited by MEuRaH on Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:26 am

1. It wasn't in the by-laws, so the draft order should stay as is, and no punitive action should be taken against this owner.
2. Have the league vote on a no-tanking rule, and assuming it passes, implement this rule going forward.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:34 am

1 Any rules to address this? If not, you can't punish and that's the end of the discussion. Just add rules for next year

2 If rules, enforce them, but you don't have them

PS: A league should most definitely have anti-tanking rules, unless you wish to allow a team to tank if they want to. You can't just say "We don't have any rules, but I don't want owners to do it" This is the result of that. Poor commissioning
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:06 am

You are going to get a variety of responses from those who are 100% opposed to tanking whether or not it is expressly written in the rules to those who consider it an acceptable strategy provided it isn't spelled out without any potential loopholes they can exploit.

Personally, I never want tanking owners in my leagues. They are detrimental to a league.

I don't believe you owe this owner anything but to be as "fair" as possible to him you keep him in, don't implement any punishment, and get your rules in place moving forward. In my leagues, it is a rule about integrity. There is no need to spell out every nitty-gritty detail about what is or is not considered tanking. If an owner is using your above stated practice of starting inactive players, he is trying to throw games. That's clear tanking and I would kick out the owner immediately.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:57 am

I, for one, think it is OK to expect Integrity. I don't think you have to have a rule about it. If you built your league and have displayed integrity over the course of the league run, it shouldn't come as a surprise to people that you won't tolerate tanking.

I also don't have a problem with you lashing out at the owner. Obviously he was too dense to figure out that tanking isn't an allowable activity.

I voted to change the draft order. This will be the best deterrent to people tanking in the future. The commish has to allow himself some latitude in enforcing unwritten rules that are covered by your culture of fair play.

Good luck!

-oo-

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:04 am

I think the fact that you warned him about it once and he agreed to fix his lineup should have been enough understanding that this was not allowed, even if it's not in the bylaws (which I hope you've already added at this point). I'd probably reset his lineups for the weeks he tanked and change the draft order if it made any difference. If this happens again going forward by any owner, I'd kick them out immediately.

ajmyk
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ajmyk » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:20 am

Meurah is 100% right.

Always bear in mind that what you want, and what everyone want is play in a league were owners do what's best for their teams.
You put a clear incentive for weak teams to start inactive players by awarding the best picks to the teams with less points. If there isn't any counter-incentives or limiting rules, anyone NOT tanking with a weak team is a COMPLETE IDIOT.

A bit of advice : don't put rules that are hard to enforce like "everyone is excepted to start the best players" , since there is no way to define who are the best players etc. Think more about incentives.
Last edited by ajmyk on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
1. 14-teamer, .5 PPR, 2 Flex, 16 keepers
QB :Palmer, Bridgewater, RG3
RB : Gurley, Hyde, Yeldon, McKinnon
WR: Dez, Jeffery, Evans, Watkins, Marshall, Diggs, Sharpe
TE : Eifert, ASJ,
IDP : Mosley, Olegtree, Collins &Stuff

2. 12-teamer, standard, 6 PTD, full dynasty
QB: Rodgers, Bortles, Petty
RB : McCoy, Forsett, Spiller, Lewis, KRob, Ridley, Haynes
WR : Julio, AJ Green, Tate, Latimer, Lee
TE : Gronk , Hill, Chandler

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:36 am

Meurah, I think you are a little heavy-handed towards this guy. Yes, it is an error not to address tanking in the bylaws. But the fact that the bylaws do not expressly prohibit tanking does not mean that tanking is allowed. Who in their reasonable mind would interpret that? The only way I could ever see tanking be legal is IF the BYLAWS expressly stipulated that "TANKING IS LEGAL" in this league.

:lol:

[In case anyone here misses it, I'm largely poking fun above at Meurah's liberal use of bolds and underscores.]

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

When there is a short-coming in bylaws, it is up to the commissioner (and possibly the league as a whole) to address the issue. So I suggest you rule that you are inserting an anti-tanking rule into the bylaws (and if anyone has any issues, then you tell them to hit the road).

As for the owner in question, I think it's a little late now to make any changes to the results of the season and the draft order. Again, that's really on you, but heck, we were all once green commissioners and this is a good learning experience. I would change my stance here if this was a medium or high money league (i.e. $50 plus), in which case I'd tell the owner in question that you will amend the draft order appropriately, in order to avoid league fallout.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:38 am

I do agree with ajymyk. Giving the worst team pick 1.01 does incentivize tanking. Hence why a lot of more sophisticated leagues use Total Points For, or some other mechanism to determine drafting order. It makes it a little more difficult to tank...

ajmyk
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ajmyk » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:51 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:36 am Meurah, I think you are a little heavy-handed towards this guy. Yes, it is an error not to address tanking in the bylaws. But the fact that the bylaws do not expressly prohibit tanking does not mean that tanking is allowed. Who in their reasonable mind would interpret that? The only way I could ever see tanking be legal is IF the BYLAWS expressly stipulated that "TANKING IS LEGAL" in this league.

:lol:

[In case anyone here misses it, I'm largely poking fun above at Meurah's liberal use of bolds and underscores.]

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

When there is a short-coming in bylaws, it is up to the commissioner (and possibly the league as a whole) to address the issue. So I suggest you rule that you are inserting an anti-tanking rule into the bylaws (and if anyone has any issues, then you tell them to hit the road).

As for the owner in question, I think it's a little late now to make any changes to the results of the season and the draft order. Again, that's really on you, but heck, we were all once green commissioners and this is a good learning experience. I would change my stance here if this was a medium or high money league (i.e. $50 plus), in which case I'd tell the owner in question that you will amend the draft order appropriately, in order to avoid league fallout.
On the contrary, tanking should even be more respected on big money league.
This means that the owner is PAYING for a league he doesn't plan to win even 1$. Tanking is easy and cowardly when you don't care about losing. But if you paying big money for that luxury, then BE MY GUEST and tank away while we feast on your money, i hope it will work for ya.

In one of my biggest money league we have a weekly prize for the highest score, it's about half of all the prize money, and every semi-decent team has a chance to hit the jackpot any given sunday. It happens. Then no anti-tanking rule is needed, everyone is trying his best even when it won't change the ranking.
1. 14-teamer, .5 PPR, 2 Flex, 16 keepers
QB :Palmer, Bridgewater, RG3
RB : Gurley, Hyde, Yeldon, McKinnon
WR: Dez, Jeffery, Evans, Watkins, Marshall, Diggs, Sharpe
TE : Eifert, ASJ,
IDP : Mosley, Olegtree, Collins &Stuff

2. 12-teamer, standard, 6 PTD, full dynasty
QB: Rodgers, Bortles, Petty
RB : McCoy, Forsett, Spiller, Lewis, KRob, Ridley, Haynes
WR : Julio, AJ Green, Tate, Latimer, Lee
TE : Gronk , Hill, Chandler

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:52 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:36 am Meurah, I think you are a little heavy-handed towards this guy. Yes, it is an error not to address tanking in the bylaws. But the fact that the bylaws do not expressly prohibit tanking does not mean that tanking is allowed. Who in their reasonable mind would interpret that? The only way I could ever see tanking be legal is IF the BYLAWS expressly stipulated that "TANKING IS LEGAL" in this league.
Yeah I am a little heavy-handed. The commissioner obviously has it out for this guy, so much so that he wanted to kick him from the league. I can't imagine all the slack and grief that he's already given to the owner in question, despite the fact that it's the commissioners fault!

Not only was it not in the rules, this happened for two weeks! Where was the commish this whole time? He deserves all of the blame imo. So when I see him trying to pass it off onto someone else, that's going to draw some fire from me.

Also, if I'm reading your quote correctly, tanking is illegal all the time unless otherwise written? I don't agree with that.
lol. I didn't even notice it until you mentioned it, ya big jerk.
Whoa.... that's setting a precedent that "If I don't like something, I'm going to change it on the spot". Terrible idea.... I know you said "when there is a short-coming", but that's still something that should be voted on by the league, not totalitarian-like by the commish.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:54 am

ajmyk wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:51 amOn the contrary, tanking should even be more respected on big money league. This means that the owner is PAYING for a league he doesn't plan to win even 1$. Tanking is easy and cowardly when you don't care about losing. But if you paying big money for that luxury, then BE MY GUEST and tank away while we feast on your money, i hope it will work for ya.

In one of my biggest money league we have a weekly prize for the highest score, it's about half of all the prize money, and every semi-decent team has a chance to hit the jackpot any given sunday. It happens. Then no anti-tanking rule is needed, everyone is trying his best even when it won't change the ranking.
I couldn't agree with you more, my friend.

In fact, I don't even have the word "tank" in any of my rules for any of my leagues. The draft is set by potential points. I haven't had even one owner out of 160 tank because there is no need for it.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs

REAL RB GURUs:

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:11 am

Tanking issues are pretty common in leagues throughout dynasty both in soft tanking and open tanking. In this one league I am in we instituted the following rule to address and it works great.

The reason I hate tanking, especially in money leagues is the effect it has or can have on owners fighting to make the playoffs. As a Commish, I have seen the disruption tanking causes all owners and can directly affect outcomes of other owners in season. IMO it is a selfish ploy by owners with little regard to the overall league.

That said,owners will trade studs to rebuild in season often and that is not really tanking although can be perceived to be by some.

To address these issues this rule works: We have had zero issues ever since and the league sees the wisdom in this format.

Draft Seeding

Beginning 2016.

The rookie draft is a 4-round non-serpentine draft. The first 6 picks will go to the 6 non-playoff teams. These teams will be seeded based on the following criteria as of the end of the regular season.

1. Draft Picks will be rewarded by adding actual points and potential points then dividing that number by 2.

2. Fewest Points Scored. (Tie Break)
3. Lose Head-to-Head Match up. (Tie Break)

The 6 playoff teams will be seeded based on point of elimination, regular season tiebreaker formula applies to 1st two teams eliminated. No advancing team will draft prior to a team that has been eliminated.

1. Fewest Points Scored. (Tie Break)
2. Lose Head-to-Head Match up. (Tie Break)

Points are calculated based on week 1 through the last week of the regular fantasy season prior to week one of the playoffs.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Hofbrau
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Hofbrau » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:38 am

Just my opinion, of course, but I think you have to separate "owner X tanked" from "owner X is a bad guy that needs to be punished".
He didn't break any rules, and probably felt like he was acting in the best way to make himself competitive going forward. Don't let your personal biases cloud your judgement here. If I was you, I would poll the league owners to verify that you guys don't want to encourage tanking. Then, once that was done, I would implement a total possible points based system for draft position.
Trying to legislate what is or isn't tanking is nearly impossible. Let em do what they want with their lineup and then base draft position on possible points. Good luck!

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:55 am

Tanking by sitting some of your good players for bench players is one thing, but there shouldn't really be a rule set for not being able to start inactive players. If there are any unwritten rules in dynasty sports, that should be at the top. The other stuff that occurs that isn't as obvious, I agree rules should be put in place. But when you're starting an injured player or a guy on bye, I think it's more than fair for the commish to either tell you to replace them or replace them himself if need be. I'd be annoyed if this happened even in a redraft league, let alone in dynasty. Some things are just too obvious to make rules for, but maybe there are people who need them...I don't know.