Create A Rule And Implement Going Forward
77%
Something Else (Explain In Post)
12%

Total votes: 60

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Re: What Should I Do To Address Tanking?

Postby lukkynumber13 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:11 pm

Y'all trippin'
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:13 am

skip wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:46 am
jeffster wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:31 am I mean, when it comes to trade vetoes, virtually this entire forum becomes free-team-management absolutists.
Because there is zero future certainty in any trade. That's a major difference. I'm sure we've all seem plenty of examples of trades that were lopsided at the time they were made and only a short time later the value was completely on the other side.
However there is no 100% certainty in a lineup each week - one of the major gripes of owners is "I built a dominant lineup" but lost in the sem finals to a guy who started "Joe Blow" the week he went off.

Take the other thread about tanking, where the question is about Team Ds. The top 3 Team Ds for the most part, in many scoring formats were the Rams, Ravens & Jaguars.

Week 16, in one of my leagues, those 3 teams combined for a total points less than the total the Raiders or 49ers D put up that week - 12p to 13.

So yeah a Larry Fitzgerald could be 80% likely to outscore Scrub WR each week but Week II when Fitzgerald had his lowest point total of the year (5p) here are some "scrubs" who outscored him that week

JJ Nelson
J. Kearse
B. Coleman
R. Higgins
D. Thompson
Jaron Brown
P. Dorsett
A. Erikson

And thats just the WRs who scored 10+ points that week in PPR

On any given week there is likely to be at least 1 WR (save in really deep rostered leagues) on waivers that will outscore your Stud

The point isnt that people should be starting any of those guys - or that benching Fitzgerald is "ok" but that there is no certainty period. There are obviously means by which we try to predict or project what a players production will be, and a good percentage of the time that will be in the ballpark.

Again I am not saying it is "ok" to start Higgins over a Fitzgerald - just noting that like with future trades, on a week to week basis there is no certainty that the player you put in the lineup will hit big, or bust. The odds are more likely that Fitzgerald will produce and a Higgins will do almost nothing, but I can go week by week each week of the 2017 season and find at least 1 WR normally found on waivers that put up a 10+ point performance.

Just like after 2014 (when Fitzgerald put up 3 straight sub 1000 yard seasons) I doubt many people were arguing Fitzgerald was going to put up 3 straight WR1-2 seasons (and his ADP fell accordingly to the 100-120 range).
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

wasik49
Rookie
Rookie

Postby wasik49 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:28 am

In my league where I'm the commissioner, I do not have rules/by-laws. It's a league of adults(I use that term extremely loosely) who are all friends. I had one issue of a team starting scrubs in place of starters towards the end of the regular season. I gave him and the entire league a warning. That warning is very simple. If you tank, I will place the highest scorer for that position in to their starting line-up for that week. It solved the problem, no issues in the past 3 years.

In a league where not all participants are friends, i suggest creating rules/by laws.

PNWHawkfan
Starter
Starter

Postby PNWHawkfan » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:23 am

We had an owner "possibly" try to tank two seasons ago to obtain Fournette. I never asked him point blank if that was his intention. We didn't have a solid rule about tanking at the time. Luckily no one complained to me about it or noticed it. I seen this as a problem in the near future and I went ahead and did my research. Found "Potential points" as an option and put it to a vote moving forward. It was in favor and it was put into place. Tanking isn't even an option anymore and everything is good. I suggest you do the same as this will make your life easy moving forward.

Last year a new owner with a really good team asked me how the #1 pick works out and I could tell he was losing some games on purpose. I laughed and explained it to him and he learned pretty quick he wasted his time because he ended up with the #6 pick. Eventually he made the move to get the 1.1 but he had to pay for it. Additionally the owner the year prior that was "maybe" trying to tank for the 1.1 didn't get it on the old system. He barely missed out on it, and he ended up trading up for the 1.1 that year to get Fournette. I think both of these guys were trying to get the 1.1 mid season. With Potential Points in place this solves the issue nicely.

As a commish when you see a flaw in your rules or bylaws I think it does fall on you to take a deep breath and say "I missed this and it's my fault." Pick up the research on the forum and work hard to set up boundraries moving forward. That is all you can do as a green commish. you learn, you adapt, and you tweak the league (with the league owner's votes) to make your life easier in the long run.
12 Team 38 man Rosters PPR/QB & TE Premium league QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR-TE/Flex and IDP (QB 6pts per TD)
QB- Justin Herbert, Kenny Pickett
RB-Bij. Robinson, J. Taylor, S. Barkley, D. Swift, JK Dobbins, G. Edwards, L. Fournette
WR-Justin Jefferson, Stefon Diggs, Diontae Johnson, Calvin Ridley, Josh Downs, Jayden Reed, Brandon Cooks
TE-Kelce, M. Andrews, T. Mcbride, C. Otton
K-Brandon Aubrey

IDP- 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 FLEX 2 PT per Tackle, .5 PT per Assist. 6 PT per sack/INT
DT/DE-Nick Bosa, Jaelen Phillips, Aiden Hutchinson, Jonathan Greenard, Sam Williams, Matt Judon
LB-Foyesade Oluokun, Frankie Luvu, Quincy Williams, Damone Clark, Shaquille Leonard, Matt Milano, Bryan Asamoah, Chad Muma,
DB- Kamren Curl, Reed Blankenship, Kyle Hamilton, Josh Metellus

2018 Champion 🏆
2020 Champion 🏆
2021 Champion 🏆

Taxi squad
Aiden O' Connel QB
Keaton Mitchell RB
Chris Brooks RB
Justyn Ross WR
Bryan Bresee DT
Tuli Tuipuloto DE

vixen
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby vixen » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:37 am

i just joined a league, one rule (i love) is that if you start a player on a bye week, that players becomes a free agent and all owners can bid on player (including the offender)....

edit: we have toilet bowl, so the remaining non playoff teams actually play for the first pick
team 1 -start QB RB 2WR TE 2RB/WR 1WR/TE
qbs=5pt tds wr/te=1 ppr rbs=.5ppr all get .25ppc
Watson, Brady, Mills
Ekeler, Hunt, Carson/Penny, DForeman, Mitchell, CPat, Kyren, Ford, KHarris
Cooper, sutton, Chase, Shepard, Atwell, Schwartz, Wan'Dale, Austin III
Gesicki, Engram, Hooper, Woods
team 2 -start QB 2RB 3WR TE 2Flex K D
Cousins, Stafford
DH JT, Ekeler, Kylin Hill, Herbert, KHarris, Chandler
Hopkins, Diggs, Adams, Godwin, McLaurin, Callaway, DPJ, Robby Anderson, Schwartz, Pierce, Wan'Dale, Doubs
Kelce, Andrews, Jacob Harris

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:11 pm

thx ^^ for that I really like that idea and will borrow it .
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:12 am

vixen wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:37 am i just joined a league, one rule (i love) is that if you start a player on a bye week, that players becomes a free agent and all owners can bid on player (including the offender)....

edit: we have toilet bowl, so the remaining non playoff teams actually play for the first pick
Damn I kind of like that rule... it's harsh though. One owner messing up and leaving Gurley in on bye will unbalance the entire league. Maybe there's a way to moderate it a little, like only on the second week you start a bye player.

turcorox911
Role Player
Role Player

Postby turcorox911 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:01 pm

jeffster wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:12 am
vixen wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:37 am i just joined a league, one rule (i love) is that if you start a player on a bye week, that players becomes a free agent and all owners can bid on player (including the offender)....

Damn I kind of like that rule... it's harsh though. One owner messing up and leaving Gurley in on bye will unbalance the entire league. Maybe there's a way to moderate it a little, like only on the second week you start a bye player.
Yeah, interesting rule, but I think it's too harsh.

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:14 pm

Just wanna chime in again on this one. I don’t like tanking, I’ll never do it, and I’ll never like when someone in a league I’m in does it, regardless of rules. But, jeffster brings up solid points, and it’s just plain prudent to me to have rules/deincentives for this stuff because I imagine it’s not a tiny minority that is in that train of thought.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:46 am

that's awful harsh, its pretty easy to miss someone imo.

to address tanking, you obviously need something in the bylaws.

-you can take care of "rebuild trades" by setting an early trade deadline. try week 6, at that point you force hands of the owners in your league. this encourages any "rebuilders" to make offseason trades that dont impact the game play of the season. it also allows them 1/2 the season for any other business that needs taken care of. at that point, its pretty simple to see who's tanking or rebuilding. use potential points for your draft order and victory points for your standings. those two setting will get you a solid representation of the rankings in your league.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:20 pm

Silver Star wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:02 pm So seriously, no punishment at all? Tanking is unethical!
Undesirable? Yes. Worth roasting said team? Yes. Worth adjusting bylaws? Yes.

But, a good commissioner in a good league doesn't apply a penalty/punishment for something when the rules don't specify that.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:21 am

100% correct ^^^ no 20/20 hindsight policing . I had a guy in the battle for the 1:1 last season start an IR'ed doug martin . It did not affect the weeks outcome . I had not addressed that in the league constitution as in 5 previous years it had not been an issue now it is and will be addressed prior to the start of this season . I had a manager complaining about it after the fact but I did nothing . Now it will be addressed clearly going forward .
so in the immortal words of harry callahan -GO AHEAD MAKE MY DAY !
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

turcorox911
Role Player
Role Player

Postby turcorox911 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:45 am

Silver Star wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:02 pm So seriously, no punishment at all? Tanking is unethical!
And so is punishing something that isn't against the rules. Unilaterally creating new rules on the fly and applying them retroactively reminds me a lot of communism tbh.

Pew Dogs
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Pew Dogs » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:17 am

I didnt have time to read all responses so perhaps others have said this.

Tanking can be ended completely be doing 1 of 2 things.

1) Give draft order based on best records of teams who miss playoffs.
or
2) Have a loser bracket tourament with winner getting first pick and so on.

This makes every game matter and forces every owner to scratch and claw for every win every week ... period.

Problem solved. Now can we move on from all these irritating 'tanking' posts?
12 team, dynasty, ppr, 1RB, 3WR, 1TE, 3RB/WR/TEFlex
QB P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB J.Taylor, A.Kamara, E.Elliott, T.Pollard
WR D.Chark, B.Cooks, A.Cooper, A.St.Brown, J.Tolbert, T.Marshall, D.Slayton
TE T.Kelce, H.Henry

(League champ somehow)
QB J.Burrow
RB T.Etienne, I,Pacheco, J.Cook, T.Algeier, J.Wilson
WR C.Lamb, M.Evans, M.Pittman, D.Chark, R.Moore, D.Peoples-Jones
TE T.Hockenson

12 Team Dynasty ppr, 2QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,3Flex,TE Premium

QB J.Burrow, G.Smith
RB D.Cook, J.Mixon, A.Mattison, R.Mostert, S.Perine
WR M.Evans, A.Cooper, C.Kirk, N.Collins
TE E.Engram, G.Everett, C.Okonkwo, C.Otton

QB K.Murray, J.Burrow
RB D.Cook, D.Montgomery, A.Mattison, K.Herbert, T.Algeier
WR A.St.Brown, K.Allen, A.Theilen, B.Cooks, T.Boyd, R.Moore, D.Hopkins
TE T.Kelce, D.Waller, R.Gronkowski, R.Tonyan, C.Otton

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:52 am

Pew Dogs wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:17 am I didnt have time to read all responses so perhaps others have said this.

Tanking can be ended completely be doing 1 of 2 things.

1) Give draft order based on best records of teams who miss playoffs.
or
2) Have a loser bracket tourament with winner getting first pick and so on.

This makes every game matter and forces every owner to scratch and claw for every win every week ... period.

Problem solved. Now can we move on from all these irritating 'tanking' posts?
Those are horrendous solutions. The worst teams in the league won't have a chance to turn things around if they can't ever win the 1st overall rookie pick.
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers, Pickett, Tannehill
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo, Schoonmaker