Tyreek Hill or Sammy Watkins

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.

Who would you rather have?

Tyreek and it isn't close
50%
Tyreek by a little
25%
Even
8%
Sammy by a little
13%
Sammy and it isn't close
5%

Total votes: 117

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Tyreek Hill or Sammy Watkins

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:27 pm

ArrylT wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:12 am Why wouldnt he? Is it due to age? I mean I know Watkins is younger than Hill but it is only by 3-4 months so I do not think it makes him too young to keep learning to improve his craft.
Watkins is the same player he was since day 1 in buffalo. Tyreek has really improved his routes and his speed is far superior to Watkins.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:52 pm

Life of Pablo wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:24 am anybody thinks Sammy can't improve by now should also hold the same opinion on players older than him like DeVante Parker, Josh Doctson, Sterling Shepard, Cameron Meredith, Kelvin Benjamin, Tyler Lockett, etc.
Some of these players (like Meredith and Shepard), it's a question of not having sustained opportunity. Some (Parker, Benjamin) have had the opportunity- we know what they can do.

I like Watkins' size and speed, but haven't seen much/any ability to quick gear down quickly or break a route off. Those limitations, combined with his injury history, make me very uninterested.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:32 pm

Life of Pablo wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:24 am
BigBawseRoss wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:25 am
ArrylT wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:12 am Why wouldnt he? Is it due to age? I mean I know Watkins is younger than Hill but it is only by 3-4 months so I do not think it makes him too young to keep learning to improve his craft.
i really enjoy this response :) well done
Lol, ArrylT I think you messed up the ages somehwere, but I still agree with your point and think it's often overlooked by people who dismiss Sammy.

Sammy turns 25 in about a week (bday = 6/14/93), Tyreek turned 24 a few months ago (bday = 3/1/94). So that would make Tyreek younger than Sammy by 8-9 months. The takeaway I get from that though is that Sammy is still plenty young; you would think he is 27-28 the way people talk about him. Sure he's got extra mileage in his NFL career if you care about that with WRs, but anybody thinks Sammy can't improve by now should also hold the same opinion on players older than him like DeVante Parker, Josh Doctson, Sterling Shepard, Cameron Meredith, Kelvin Benjamin, Tyler Lockett, etc.

The fact of the matter is that there's a very short list of players who are both "better" AND younger than Sammy (and yes, Tyreek is presumably one of them).
Yeah I was being sarcastic but I do apologize for giving off the impression that Watkins was younger than Hill - however the point remains that their age differencial is so close it is unlikely either has reached their full potential.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:38 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:27 pm
Watkins is the same player he was since day 1 in buffalo. Tyreek has really improved his routes and his speed is far superior to Watkins.
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/11/2 ... ing-report

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2018/03 ... perator/2/

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/3/1 ... oly-smokes

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:33 am

Biased puff pieces by media specifically catering to an invested fanbase have a credibility issue. I pay a lot more attention to articles on websites like those when they're criticizing a player on the team their supporting, or comparing players within the team.

I think I've said this before already in this thread, but Watkins struggled with press and man coverage last year in LA. It's all over the tape. He's also getting less separation than he used to even when he does release well.

Watkins was among the league's leaders in least yards of space granted to him at the LoS. In other words, defenses have figured out that they can give Watkins very little cushion and he won't make them pay.

Usually DBs won't risk giving no cushion to WRs with elite speed and explosion, because if they do win a clean release then the likelihood of a big play spikes. So the fact that DBs are doing it to Watkins now also indicates he's not as fast or as explosive as he used to be. I think I may have pointed this out already in this thread, too. Don't mean to be a broken record, but it's an issue Watkins' supporters should consider.
ArrylT wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:12 am Why wouldnt he? Is it due to age?
Because trends are harder to reverse. Watkins has gotten worse since he entered the NFL, not better.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:21 am

ArrylT wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:55 pm
hankmurphy wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:35 pm
MEuRaH wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:25 amSammy is on his 3rd team already. Nobody wants him.
4th-highest paid WR in the league on a brand new contract.
You are under arrest for taking the air out of his hot take - how do you plead?
Not at all. Pick one:

(a) The Chiefs have a long and extensive history signing top WRs.

(b) The Chiefs were desperate for a WR to match with Hill, the draft class was weak, and Watkins was the only "top" WR in free agency.

I'ma go with "b".
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:11 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:52 pm
Life of Pablo wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:24 am anybody thinks Sammy can't improve by now should also hold the same opinion on players older than him like DeVante Parker, Josh Doctson, Sterling Shepard, Cameron Meredith, Kelvin Benjamin, Tyler Lockett, etc.
Some of these players (like Meredith and Shepard), it's a question of not having sustained opportunity. Some (Parker, Benjamin) have had the opportunity- we know what they can do.

I like Watkins' size and speed, but haven't seen much/any ability to quick gear down quickly or break a route off. Those limitations, combined with his injury history, make me very uninterested.
exactly. that's why he can't adjust to balls that aren't placed a foot in front of his chest. i can't believe the chiefs gave him that much money when he is so limited. they must think mahomes has kurt warner like accuracy.

darkadun
Role Player
Role Player

Postby darkadun » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:38 am

I would take Hill over Watkins.... but I think it’s foolish to ignore the change of scenery, new QB, new system.

What if Mahomes and Sammy really click?
What if they use Sammy much differently then Rams did?

We can’t answer that right now, but look at how different the Rams were last year. Without Nagy it’s entirely possible that the Chiefs will look different with new personal on offense and a new OC. (I know the HC is the same...just saying).

With in mind... is entirely possible Watkins thrives or at least becomes a valuable asset in fantasy. But, again who knows? Some of these things we can’t predict. Like Robert Woods being 18 ppg last year. As an example. :D
QB: Lamar Jackson, Matthew Stafford
RB: Dalvin Cook, D'Andre Swift, Chris Carson , Jerrick McKinnon, Alexander Mattisson
WR: DeAndre Hopkins, Michael Thomas, Adam Thielen, Will Fuller, Darius Slayton, Brandon Aiyuk, Keelan Cole,
TE: Evan Ingram, Drew Sample, Cole Kmet

Rosenbluu
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Rosenbluu » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:34 am

ArrylT wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:38 pm
Space Cowboy wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:27 pm
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/11/2 ... ing-report

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2018/03 ... perator/2/

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/3/1 ... oly-smokes
Appreciate this, it’s crazy how you can forget how good a player is when they don’t get the ball
12 Team PPR
QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex
QB: Mahomes/Jones
RB: Mixon/Chubb/Mostert/Burkhead/McKinnon
WR: Wilson/JuJu/Marquise/Mooney/Campbell/Dotson/Osborn/Julio/Tolbert/Shakir/Metchie
TE: Andrews/Hurst

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:51 am

On one of the podcasts I listen to they said that Andy Reid has been incorporating a lot of the spread offense in his scheme to help Mahomes. I dont know who between Hill or Watkins this benefits though. Just something I found interesting.

Oddball456
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Oddball456 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:03 am

As a Watkins owner this is the most excited I have been since the start of the his sophomore season. Stayed healthy all last year, full off-season on a new team (KC), KC has a hard reset from last year with a new gunslinger QB and OC, seems to has lost the diva attitude. Still fairly young; if he has a career year, which if he stays healthy I think he will, he will shoot back up the WR rankings.

Could he crash and burn? I don't think so as long as he stays healthy. He was so underused last year. Hill is solid player, no doubt, but his efficiency last year I don't think is sustainable and he is bound to regress.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:54 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:33 am
ArrylT wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:12 am Why wouldnt he? Is it due to age?
Because trends are harder to reverse. Watkins has gotten worse since he entered the NFL, not better.
Let me know when you have some proof of that :)

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:01 pm

MEuRaH wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:21 am
ArrylT wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:55 pm
hankmurphy wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:35 pm 4th-highest paid WR in the league on a brand new contract.
You are under arrest for taking the air out of his hot take - how do you plead?
Not at all. Pick one:

(b) The Chiefs were desperate for a WR to match with Hill, the draft class was weak, and Watkins was the only "top" WR in free agency.

I'ma go with "b".
You said nobody wants him. Last time I checked the Chiefs were somebody. And they dont pay 48 million if every other team was only offering 30million.

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2018/3/12 ... my-watkins

https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears ... -116160212

And there are 2 other teams that had some interest in signing Watkins back in March.

bucsrule
Captain
Captain

Postby bucsrule » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:20 pm

Hill, in a landslide.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:57 pm

ArrylT wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:01 pm
MEuRaH wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:21 am
ArrylT wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:55 pm You are under arrest for taking the air out of his hot take - how do you plead?
Not at all. Pick one:

I'ma go with "b".
You said nobody wants him. Last time I checked the Chiefs were somebody. And they dont pay 48 million if every other team was only offering 30million.

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2018/3/12 ... my-watkins

https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears ... -116160212

And there are 2 other teams that had some interest in signing Watkins back in March.
Without knowing the terms of the other (potential) offers, we can't say that. Perhaps they wanted to make an apparently strong offer so they didn't get sucked into a bidding war. Maybe the other offers didn't have as much guarantees. Or, maybe the offers were of the of the 2 year 30mil variety with the entire amount guaranteed. Maybe KC matches that, then raised the contract's ceiling by adding a voidable 3rd year he'd get if he did well the first 2.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def