Am i crazy for loving this years wr class?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Re: Am i crazy for loving this years wr class?

Postby Valhalla » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:03 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:19 am ... the new mold -- shorter, quicker, sluttier. And it fully corresponds with ... more drinking and #$%@&#%...
:surprised:

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:59 pm

Someone wants a mention on the Popcorn thread. ;)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:16 pm

Route-craft, contested and contacted catch ability, catch-radius, body-control, yards after catch ability, versatility. In my opinion, these are the most essential traits of a good NFL wide-receiver today (other important items like ball-skills, play-strength, speed/quickness, agility, hand-strength, and work ethic come with the territory if their correlate trait in that list is present). Of these items, only catch-radius especially favors traditional big-bodied WRs, but you can still get a 5'11" - 6'1" WR with good catch-radius if they have long arms and big hands.

A WR with all or all but one of the items on that list can be a superstar. A guy with all but two can be a multi-year Pro Bowler.

There are several WRs from this class that could check off all or most of the items on that essential list.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:20 am

ninotoreS wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:16 pm Route-craft, contested and contacted catch ability, catch-radius, body-control, yards after catch ability, versatility. In my opinion, these are the most essential traits of a good NFL wide-receiver today (other important items like ball-skills, play-strength, speed/quickness, agility, hand-strength, and work ethic come with the territory if their correlate trait in that list is present). Of these items, only catch-radius especially favors traditional big-bodied WRs, but you can still get a 5'11" - 6'1" WR with good catch-radius if they have long arms and big hands.

A WR with all or all but one of the items on that list can be a superstar. A guy with all but two can be a multi-year Pro Bowler.

There are several WRs from this class that could check off all or most of the items on that essential list.
Solid Post.

The above pretty much nails why I am so high on Gallup and Miller in this class.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:31 am

Valhalla wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:03 pm
Cult of Dionysus wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:19 am ... the new mold -- shorter, quicker, sluttier. And it fully corresponds with ... more drinking and #$%@&#%...
:surprised:
Valhalla your posts/quotes crack me up all the time. :lol:

CharlieKelly
Starter
Starter

Postby CharlieKelly » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:47 am

Ice wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:20 am
ninotoreS wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:16 pm Route-craft, contested and contacted catch ability, catch-radius, body-control, yards after catch ability, versatility. In my opinion, these are the most essential traits of a good NFL wide-receiver today (other important items like ball-skills, play-strength, speed/quickness, agility, hand-strength, and work ethic come with the territory if their correlate trait in that list is present). Of these items, only catch-radius especially favors traditional big-bodied WRs, but you can still get a 5'11" - 6'1" WR with good catch-radius if they have long arms and big hands.

Solid Post.

The above pretty much nails why I am so high on Gallup and Miller in this class.
Miller checks these boxes. Gallup is not a refined route runner, but I see why people are high on him since he does share some Dez-like qualities in terms of contested catch ability.

The problem I have with Gallup is that he's still raw and Dez was already producing like a shell of himself over the last couple of years, so how would a more raw version of him produce in the same offense? You'll have to wait a couple of years for Gallup.

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:00 am

CharlieKelly wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:47 am
Ice wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:20 am

Solid Post.

Miller checks these boxes. Gallup is not a refined route runner, but I see why people are high on him since he does share some Dez-like qualities in terms of contested catch ability.

The problem I have with Gallup is that he's still raw and Dez was already producing like a shell of himself over the last couple of years, so how would a more raw version of him produce in the same offense? You'll have to wait a couple of years for Gallup.
I think the Gallup play is that Dez just lacked the athleticism he has 2-3 years ago.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:46 pm

Dez still broke plenty of tackles after the catch last year, still a league leader there.

I've thought about trying to buy-low on Dez, so I studied him a bit. From what I saw, Dez's problem in '17 appeared to be 1.) he's not separating on the boundary as well as he used to, 2.) Dak Prescott may just be gunshy throwing to guys unless they've earned comfortable separation, 3.) in fairness to Dak, Dez did seem to drop more contacted catch attempts last year than usual.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:46 pm

I don't love it, but like every year, there should be a surprise or two at a position most people think sucks in a given draft.

Definitely a weird year with so few big wideouts coming out. But let's see how this 2018 avalanche of quick little guys does.

In the past, I've preferred bigger guys like Sutton (who was surprisingly available and I would've drafted at 2.02 if I hadn't traded back into the 1st for Penny - and still scored Miller at a value at 2.07 anyway) - but truth is there's more and more small guys doing great things in PPR every year, so I'm slowly - okay, glacially - shifting my thinking.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

playa_hata
All Pro
All Pro

Postby playa_hata » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:27 pm

just wanted to bump this post cuz i feel like this years wr class has been pretty damn good
12 team PPR SuperFlex start 9 (Same for each team)

TM1
QB: Rodgers, Rivers, Dak, Dalton, Smith
RB: Zeke, CMC, Jacobs, Chubb, Gore, Dearnest
WR: Davante Adams, Tyreek, Fuller, Aj Brown, AB, MVS, Fulgham, Ward, Fitz, Beasley, amendola, zaccheus
TE: Ertz, Engram, Fells

TM2
QB: Rodgers, Baker, Stafford, Bridgewater
RB:Kamara, Chubb, Hunt, Singletary
WR:M Evans,D Adams,Kupp, AJ brown, lockett, sanders,miller, Patrick, Robinson, Hamilton, Lasley, D.Robinson, Trey Quinn, Scantling, agholor
TE: Kelce, Rudolph, Irv smith, gronk, Burton

A-train
Starter
Starter

Postby A-train » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:03 pm

I've loved Moore and Sutton from the start and tried to get them where I could. Moore has flashed some huge upside at times. Ridley for as much as I didn't like him for his age has had some good games as well. I don't think this class is as bad as many believed heading in to this year. I'll be interested to see how they progress.
Team 1: France Les Bleus: 20 team .5 ppr dynasty league. Starters in Bold
QB: Andrew Luck, Marcus Mariota
RB: Ezekiel Elliot, Alex Collins, D'onta Foreman, Chris Carson, James White, Kenneth Dixon
WR: Mike Williams, Chris Godwin, DJ Moore, Laquon Treadwell, Taywan Taylor, Josh Malone
TE: Eric Ebron, Hunter Henry, Adam Shaheen
D/ST: Patriots, Saints

Team 2: New England Patriots: 24 Team standard league. Starters in Bold
QB: Patrick Mahommes, Josh Rosen
RB: Royce Freeman, Nick Chubb, Phillip Lindsay, Derius Guice, Melvin Gordon
WR: DJ Moore, Courtland Sutton, DJ Chark, Desean Hamilton, Laquon Treadwell, Equanimous St. Brown, James Washington
TE: Gerald Everett, Adam Shaheen, Hunter Henry
Def: Titans

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:08 pm

When it comes to draft classes and judging them accurately, I think it's reasonable to give it 2-3 full seasons. The class wasn't supposed to be a very good wr class. It seems there have been a few that have stepped up and outperformed consensus expectations. In my experience, things in dynasty often aren't as good or as bad as they initially seem. So far, this 2018 wr class is doing more than most expected. Still, time will tell how roles pan out.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:29 pm

Sutton is the one I want most in a dynasty, but it looks like there are plenty of attractive WRs in this class

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:35 pm

No Tre'quan Smith mention?

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:57 pm

Lotto4Life wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:35 pm No Tre'quan Smith mention?
Top 4 rookie of this class. Fight me.

Moore, Ridley, Sutton, Smith