Holy bleep!

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Re: Holy bleep!

Postby Dookmarriot » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:29 am

I'm the holder of the 1.02, happened to be out at a big party, blinked when I saw Barkley was available, reflexively hit "draft" and spent the rest of the night wondering what the hell happened. In all my years playing fantasy sports I'd never come across anything like this, so in the moment I wasn't sure what to do. I started then to worry if the other owner - who is a good guy and commish of another league I'm in - was OK, so I messaged his brother.

In the bleary light of morning, I'm fully for a reset and changing what was clearly a self interested vote to let the draft stand. It's a great league and I wouldn't want to damage it, or screw a dude I like over. Although man...if I knew I was going to be in Central Asia with their spotty infrastructure I mighta put my hand up - we all would have been fine with a delay, and we would have had some context as to why the 1.01 would time out! 😀

I think, though, he deserves long term razzing by the gang. Like maybe changing his team name to "Azerbaijian Internet" for the year.
Last edited by Dookmarriot on Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:39 am

Dookmariot wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:29 am I'm the holder of the 1.02, happened to be out at a big party, blinked when I saw Barkley was available, reflexively hit "draft" and spent the rest of the night wondering what the hell happened. In all my years playing fantasy sports I'd never come across anything like this, so in the moment I wasn't sure what to do. I started then to worry if the other owner - who is a good guy and commish of another league I'm in - was OK, so I messaged his brother.

In the bleary light of morning, I'm fully for a reset. It's a great league and I wouldn't want to damage it, or screw a dude I like over. Although man...if I knew I was going to be in Central Asia with their spotty infrastructure I mighta put my hand up - we all would have been fine with a delay, and we would have had some context as to why the 1.01 would time out! 😀

I think, though, he deserves long term razzing by the gang. Like maybe changing his team name to "Azerbaijian Internet" for the year.
Great explanation. I think you are right. BTW, I'm drunk at the moment, and if I did not come across properly, I apologize. The fact you own the 1.02 and are FOR the full reset should be a reference point to the rest of the league, and I commend your character for being in favour, and having some perspective/empathy on this situation.

You definitely need to razz him, though, no doubt. I think the right thing to do is what you are suggesting, I hope the others take your lead, as you out of anyone have the most to gain, and are yet in favour of the reset. Good on you. :thumbup: Go Raiders!
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:57 am

There's not enough karma in the world to help the Raiders this year. 😎
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:00 am

Dookmariot wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:57 am There's not enough karma in the world to help the Raiders this year. 😎
Then we'll need some luck, too.

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:03 am

Andrew Luck? Jon, order Reggie to make that trade for you!

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:18 am

Dookmariot wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:03 am Andrew Luck? Jon, order Reggie to make that trade for you!
He'll have to learn to throw left handed, then he can be our Stabler 2.0.

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:22 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:03 am Agree with both of you. This is too massive an issue to adjudicate via a league vote, especially since a re-draft would require a 2/3rds majority vote (11 of 16).

Should also note that, from my understanding, seventy5 has been in the league since its inception in 2014, has been a good owner, active. It's early June and the fact that they just went ahead and kept drafting.... I don't know, it doesn't sit well with me.

Also, the draft went in the totally predictable, "group think" order of SB, Guice, Chubb/Penny, Rojo. And after 1.02, the next two guys (1.03 and 1.04) auto drafted their picks, which is kinda lame in an experienced league such as this, no effort/expectation/opportunity for any trade discussions.
Defending the 1.03 owner here...he's at a batchelor party in Vegas (he gave us the heads up) so I'm sure he auto picked knowing that he's probably passed out in the wrong hotel right now.

And hey...sometimes you just want your guy, you know?

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:38 am

Great to get Dook's input here.

I definitely don't fault you for drafting SB in the heat of the moment, and think it's cool that you are open to a redo. Also agree that seventy5 should get a lot of good-natured grief for this, and on that point:

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:39 am

He's our very own JR Smith

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:56 am

Dookmariot wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:39 am He's our very own JR Smith
:clap: :lol:

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:58 am

Vote is now 9-4, with 3 outstanding. Dook has switched his "nay" vote, hence the 9-4.

Link to poll: http://www68.myfantasyleague.com/2018/o ... oll_750143

It will take 2 out of 3 to vote in favor of a re-set, in order to pass the motion to reset the draft. Though perhaps a few guys who voted against may end up switching their votes, just like Dook.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:31 am

the only way to prevent this situation is to have the clock start when the 1st pick is made...and then no exceptions as the draft proceeds. its already been mentioned that there are several ways to pick your player. (incase of emergency)

i think this sets the standard for any other missed pick in the league going forward. i was one of the early votes, and i voted to reset the draft....but the more i thought about it, i think it should stand so not to disrupt any instances going forward. one of two things had to happen here. he either did not know when the draft started, or he forgot that he was on the clock. he had logged on while on the clock. he mentions getting emails and not opening them. he was awake. if he knew he was on the clock and missed the pick....this is on him. if he were unaware or confused about the start of the draft, i can certainly understand starting over. even then, he owns 1.1, how does that happen? the draft start was well broadcast imo.

i dont wish to change my vote by any means, i do wonder what happens the next time a pick gets skipped. i understand people have lives, im 100% sure barkley was his pick, but he had all offseason to trade it, plus 12 hrs in which he logged on. what happens if any other pick gets skipped? what happens if its a year where there are a handful of solid guys? (is this that year) you get the idea. what happens if its pick 25, not 1.

ive been skipped early in a draft because i thought it started at noon, not midnight, not to mentioin that it was started early via email....which i was fine with. i realize things can happen, which is why i voted to restart. i just have to wonder how its handled going forward.

my suggestion is to start the clock when the 1st pick is made. that may require that a pre-draft selection is made at a certain time for 1.1 or it is skipped. the owner has all offseason to handle business.

its been mentioned that those continuing to pick could be playing in a "grey area". i completely disagree. if this were 1.6 and i were sitting at 7, id give a few minutes and then make my pick. the fact that this is 1.1 has no bearing unless the owner was not aware that the draft had begun. and even then, how is it handled if its not 1.1. most will tell you that its the owners responsibility.

bucsrule
Captain
Captain

Postby bucsrule » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:51 am

Valhalla wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:43 am I’d restart the draft. Pretty selfish to vote no. I don’t even feel that it should be up for vote, because people shouldn’t be given the option to be so selfish. This is one of the few instances where a commish does more than simply uphold the rules in place. The commish should step in and take the appropriate action, dictate this is done in a manner that won’t wreck the league...and I think the league is sort of wrecked if you don’t redo the draft. Redoing it, people will sort of get who they expected at the top of the draft anyways, instead of falling into “fortunate” circumstances they couldn’t have hoped for.
Some things should be voted on, because “in the best interest of the league” can have varying opinions. But this...is allowing people to vote on “for the best interest of my own team at the great cost of another team” and that shouldn’t ever make it to a vote.
I wholeheartedly agree!!

Also..if Auto Pick is in the rules as I believe I read, then he should have received Barkley via Auto Pick once time ran out. It's up to the commish to set that up in league perameters.

Draft has to be reset. Period. To allow it to stand is a violation of League Rules regarding Auto Pick.

This situation never should have happened.

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:20 am

We had this situation a few years ago when the owner of 1.1 had traded up to get it and forgot the start time. The commish asked me to hold off on drafting 1.2 until the owner was contacted and I had no problem with it as long as my timer didn't expire. He paused the draft while he was locating the owner. I dont think our league had any issue with the draft pausing and the pick being waited on. Although he admitted he could have avoided this by autopicking since he traded up for the selection.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:28 am

mgscott wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:20 am We had this situation a few years ago when the owner of 1.1 had traded up to get it and forgot the start time. The commish asked me to hold off on drafting 1.2 until the owner was contacted and I had no problem with it as long as my timer didn't expire. He paused the draft while he was locating the owner. I dont think our league had any issue with the draft pausing and the pick being waited on. Although he admitted he could have avoided this by autopicking since he traded up for the selection.
In my redraft league, we've found the owner of the 1.1 can't set to autopick on MFL. The owner needs to manually pick once the draft starts. I don't see why, but this is the first I'll have the #1, so guess I'll find out.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def