Anybody play in leagues with industry writers?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Re: Anybody play in leagues with industry writers?

Postby MEuRaH » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:39 am

I had a writer in mine. He quit after 2 years because my league was "too tough". I felt proud.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:12 pm

GridironGuerilla wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:52 am This feels like a humble brag... :think: Lol.

I have a little experience in leagues with industry folks and have had zero issue with any of them. Certainly not a correlation I can see.
Haha for real. I agree with all of this.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:55 pm

I play in a couple and frankly I give them some more rope. I know they have 30+ leagues and the one with me means very little. I just enjoy knowing which players they like and dislike in trade scenarios. I am in a basketball league with 5 Rotoworld contributors, it's like taking candy from a baby. Although it is pretty tough to be Dr A to a hot waiver pick up.....
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:55 pm

Not sure about Industry writers, besides being in a mock draft with Berry before. Lil Wayne is surprisingly good and his knowledge is better than a lot of the so called experts, in my opinion. He also took a playoff defeat far better than most, being rich does not automatically make you exempt from being a sore loser in all honesty. I think losing in this hobby is as much psychological as it is financial in many circumstances.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:34 pm

SCYCPA wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:23 am Just curious if anyone else's experience with these guys is as awful as mine has been?

What brought this to the forefront for me was this: I have a Rotoviz writer in one of the leagues I commish. League rule is that, when the league rolls over to the new year, everyone must remove players from IR and taxi squads to their active roster. Usually I give a grace period until late March just because I'm too busy to police it.

This year, I notified everyone in March to clean it up...most of them did except this guy and a few others. Two nights ago, I warned them all again to get it done before the draft today or I would drop all the players on TS and IR. The remaining guys all did it except this idiot. He has DJ and A-Rob on his IR, seems like he's almost daring me to drop those guys from his roster.

He's a real jerk and bully in trading as well, he offered me the 1.8 pick for Julio several times this year, and when I told him he had to add to his side..he became really angry about it. Have a couple similar stories from other owners...one owner begged me to boot the guy from the league. I'd love to do that but he always pays his league dues early...the first year he delays his payment...he gone!

I'm in another devy league with 1 DLF and 1 FBG writer, the FBG writer almost never trades, just rejects everything sent his way without counter, sometimes doesn't even respond to offers. The DLF writer sends these awful fishing trades (for example, he offered late devy picks in 2020 - meaning players who won't even see an NFL field until 2021 or later - for N'Keal Harry - possibly the #1 pick next year - and Calvin Ridley), then gets condescending about it when they get rejected.

Was in a league years ago with Chad Parsons who would accumulate defensive teams then offer them up for your stud WR and RB when your defense went on bye week.

I understand these guys have to stack teams to build their reputation but they really take the fun out of this game.
Seriously? If that's true, what a clown. His show hasn't been listenable since Doug Veetch left. Katie is a yawn, and it's about as entertaining as listening to somebody's grandparents talk for an hour about their medications and diet requirements.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:01 am

It's pure hell being in a league with Jules.

😎
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:24 am

I keep coming back here waiting to find out who the Rotoviz guy is. If we’re naming Chad Parsons, why not the main offender?
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

ajmyk
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ajmyk » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:35 am

I was a once in a MFL10 (Best Ball) with Jeff Miller. And you won't believe but the guy didn't make a single trade and never set his lineup.

What a joke.
1. 14-teamer, .5 PPR, 2 Flex, 16 keepers
QB :Palmer, Bridgewater, RG3
RB : Gurley, Hyde, Yeldon, McKinnon
WR: Dez, Jeffery, Evans, Watkins, Marshall, Diggs, Sharpe
TE : Eifert, ASJ,
IDP : Mosley, Olegtree, Collins &Stuff

2. 12-teamer, standard, 6 PTD, full dynasty
QB: Rodgers, Bortles, Petty
RB : McCoy, Forsett, Spiller, Lewis, KRob, Ridley, Haynes
WR : Julio, AJ Green, Tate, Latimer, Lee
TE : Gronk , Hill, Chandler

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:01 am

:lol: :lol:

:clap:
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

DDT
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DDT » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:15 am

I'm in quite a few leagues with different writers -- at varying levels of the writer/expert spectrum. And my experience has been mostly positive. First they usually pay on time and are quick to respond to e-mails from the commish. They tend to be responsive to trade offers and are usually open to the occasional e-mail talking football and values in general. I have seen bad offers from almost every owner at some point but the writer offers at least seem to be tied to reality -- even if weighing in their favor.

I think that they are also in a tough spot because they usually post their rankings. So I'm sure that they get a lot of offers where people see glitches or errors in the rankings. But the rankings are sometimes stale or hastily put together and they are truly scoring and team dependent. So don't expect them to accept your offer of Allen Robinson for Cooper just because they have Robinson ranked one spot higher than Cooper. On that point, I did a startup with one writer and I was amazed at how closely his draft tracked his actual rankings. It gave the impression that he actually put a lot of time in his rankings and truly trusted them.

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:32 am

I've had no issues in my leagues with those kind of guys. Seems like anything else. There are good and bad in the group. You seem to be unlucky to have had mostly bad experiences.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

dlf_kenm
Administrator

Postby dlf_kenm » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:48 am

This thread caught my eye. Interesting question. Needless to say I'm in a few industry leagues and I'll concur with some of the comments here. Industry writers are just folks. They come in all flavors. Simply submitting articles to a website doesn't grant you magical powers nor does it confer any special personality characteristics. Some people are great league mates, others not so much. Some are really good at what they do, others are, shall we say, better at writing about fantasy than the actual playing in leagues.

Me, personally, I pretty much suck at both (writing and playing) so that's why I just shut up and run the website stuff.

If anything I'd say that the most common characteristic of an industry analyst is a little less engagement than the non-industry player. With articles to write, rankings to update, research to be done, often it's a challenge to keep up on those responsibilities along the probably too many leagues most writers are in. You tend to get a crap ton of league invites, and it can be difficult to turn them all down. It's very easy to spread yourself too thin.

Ultimately, again, they are all just folks. So I wouldn't put all 'industry types' into a bucket. Everyone is different.

Thanks!

KM

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:42 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Ken! :)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..