Why do we need playoffs?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Why do we need playoffs?

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Thu May 31, 2018 11:55 pm

One of the posts in my "Forum Turnover" thread got me thinking, why do we need playoffs in our fantasy football? Week to week fantasy football outcomes are so unpredictable. Yet we predicate the outcome of an entire season of fantasy football, and the championship belt, on the outcome of two match-ups, in December. Great teams regularly lose out to weaker squads that squeak into the playoffs. One or two key injuries can derail a #1 or #2 seed. Bad weather, a bad match-up, a bad call can all mean the difference between bringing home the hardware and nothing.

I think one way to cut out the unpredictability of the playoffs is to cut out the playoffs altogether. Run a 17 week tourney in a single conference league, with the team atop the standings taking the championship. An 18 team league would be ideal, as it allows for a perfectly balanced schedule. You could also run a 17 or 16 team league over the course of 16 or 15 weeks, respectively.

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Why do we need playoffs?

Postby honcho55 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:36 am

I can see the allure of this. Heck I’d even try it maybe. A league I’m in at one time was mulling over a setting where every team plays every team every week. To eliminate a bad team getting a win because they happened to score a handlful more than a complete dud.

I get it, I don’t hate it. But I’d never vote for it. Part of the game to me is that unpredictability, and that sense of having a single opponent every week.

Also I’d comment too, when there’s playoff slots you have a shot maybe all year. If you’re chasinh total points, maybe be out and disinterested by week 8. Having that chance to sneak in and win is important, imo.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:59 am

I've tried something similiar in redraft leagues. We ran an all-play once running 16 weeks. While I think it was the best system of decreasing random luck and awarding the best team at the end of the season, the majority voted to return to head to head.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:19 am

honcho55 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:36 am I can see the allure of this. Heck I’d even try it maybe. A league I’m in at one time was mulling over a setting where every team plays every team every week. To eliminate a bad team getting a win because they happened to score a handlful more than a complete dud.

I get it, I don’t hate it. But I’d never vote for it. Part of the game to me is that unpredictability, and that sense of having a single opponent every week.

Also I’d comment too, when there’s playoff slots you have a shot maybe all year. If you’re chasing total points, maybe be out and disinterested by week 8. Having that chance to sneak in and win is important, imo.
Ultimately, this is the answer
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Jak
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Jak » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:14 am

Why not just evaluate the teams at the beginning of the year and vote on a winner. Everyone has lost when they should have won, or won when they should have lost. Playing the game is what makes it fun.
Cobra Kai
QB - P Rivers, M Mariota, R Tannehill
RB - L Bell, M Gordon, K Drake, R Burkhead, I Smith, G Edwards
WR - D Hopkins, B Cooks, C Godwin, R Anderson, A Miller, M Valdes-Scantling, J Gordon, D Pettis, P Williams
TE - G Kittle, H Henry, W Dissly

Barfly
QB - A Rodgers, J Winston, M Mariota
RB - L Bell, J Mixon, D Henderson, C Hyde, L Murray, J Jackson
WR - D Hopkins; AJ Green, S Diggs, C Godwin, D Pettis, L Fitzgerald, J Gordon, C Conley, P Williams
TE - A Hooper, H Henry, T Burton, M Andrews

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:32 am

I played in a league where half the pot went to regular season and half to the playoffs. Really liked it a lot. Rewards having a really good team as well as giving people a chance to cash in if somebody is running away with it.

Have an all play league like somebody mentioned above. Don't like it.

grooner
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby grooner » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:06 am

If you want to eliminate luck, just do a total points roto style, and forget about head to head. In the head to head matchups there will still be lots of volatility. Part of what makes FF fun for me, is the unpredictability as others have stated. If the "best" teams always won, the weaker teams would drop out much faster.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:27 am

This is just another way to bring up the "Any Given Sunday" part of FF which has been discussed a million times as you should know.

Some owners like it - some do not. I prefer the unpredictability, keeps things interesting. Others do not.

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:49 am

Because it's more fun

Want it 100% fair? Just go by total points through week 16 and award the trophy. Find a league of guys who would also prefer that and have at it

FF to me is about having fun, and the wild ride of a Sunday matchup, even in playoffs, is part of that fun
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:36 am

hockeyBjj wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:49 am Because it's more fun

Want it 100% fair? Just go by total points through week 16 and award the trophy. Find a league of guys who would also prefer that and have at it

FF to me is about having fun, and the wild ride of a Sunday matchup, even in playoffs, is part of that fun
Beat me to it. This is what I was going to post almost word for word.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:43 am

This is basically the rotisserie vs. head to head matchups question.

They both have very different feels in other fantasy sports (I've played both styles in hoops, for example).

Roto gives you a "truer" picture of GM and player skill/talent/production imo. And like at least one person already said, head to head always leaves a bigger, longer window open for the number of teams that are still in the championship hunt, just like the real NFL.

With fantasy sports originally meant to be a game sim of real sports, the most accurate mirror for fantasy football is head to head. That doesn't mean it's the fairest or best, fantasy-wise though - or in real life, for that matter.

You're bound to have a lot more "lucky" and "got hot" types of variance and outliers in head-to-head leagues, real or fake.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:51 am

Well we can always structure the playoffs to favor division winners and top seeds. Limit the number of wildcards, etc.

Generic Username
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Generic Username » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:39 am

I fart in the general direction of your participation trophy!

The only time the "unpredictability" of fantasy football becomes an issue is when people lose when they feel they shouldn't have (cuz, yaknow, on paper and projected points said blowout!). Certainly there's skill involved in amassing a roster full of talent capable of providing top level points week in and week out. But in the end, optimal lineup submission week to week, even season long, is a gamble in the sense that we (the team owner) have absolutely no control on a player's production; they could have a worse game than expected, a better game than expected, an injury, a horrible call against them, anything! All of that adds up to unpredictability that simply cannot be fully erased or mitigated. And, honestly, if you take out the variance and embedded chance factor, aren't you just watching football and tracking stats at that point?

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:27 am

That is the roto style and it's been around since the creation of the first fantasy league. It fell to the extreme minority because most like the variance and chance of h2h.

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:55 am

Yeah I prefer the random unpredictability and the idea that everyone has a "shot" to win it. Just like the NFL.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland