Dynasty Trade Deadline

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
dlf_ericd
Administrator

Dynasty Trade Deadline

Postby dlf_ericd » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:39 am

This topic came up with a couple of league members and I wanted to see what you guys thought. We currently have a week 12 trade deadline, which was set up similar to redraft leagues I have seen in the past. My question is why do leagues have a trade deadline in a full dynasty league and is it necessary?
On twitter? Hit me up @DLFootball

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Dynasty Trade Deadline

Postby skip » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:19 am

We have one just between the start of the post season and the fantasy bowl. But I don't think it is necessary.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Jersey35
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Jersey35 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:53 pm

Trades should be allowed in dynasty leagues AT LEAST until the onset of the playoffs. One of the best ways the poor teams can get better is to have the ability to trade their aging stars to teams making the championship push for young talent and draft picks. The earlier the deadline, the more difficult this is.

We moved our deadline to the onset of the playoffs a few years back (from week 10). I think I'll be pushing to eliminate it altogether in the future.
HOTDOGS
QB: A.Rodgers $42 / C.Kaepernick $21 / M.Glennon $3
RB: L.Miller $4 / R.Mathews $7 / J.Hill $5 / D.Murray $15 / L.Murray $3 / A.Andrews $9 / C.Michael $5 / C.Sims $5
WR: D.Bryant $13 / J.Jones $13 / A.Robinson $10 / D.Parker $1 / K.Wright $4 / T.Ginn $5 / R.Woods $4 / J.Huff $1 / C.Givens $1 / J.Blackmon $4
TE: R.Gronkowski $30 / A.Gates $13 / L.Green $3
DL: A.Bailey $6 / C.Dunlop $13 / J.Pierre-Paul $17 / S.Marks $4 / G.Hardy $7 / L.Williams $4
LB: L.Kuechly $12 / B.Wagner $18 / N.Bowman $13 / P.McPhee $7
DB: J.Norman $6 / B.Church $12 / J.Ihedibo $2 / B.Grimes $3
2011 picks: 1.02 / 1.10

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:43 pm

I'm not sure about my DLFV dynasty league, but my other 4 don't have a trade deadline. I never liked a trade deadline in dynasty. If you had A.Rodgers, V.Young, and K.Orton as your QB's last week in the playoffs... you should be allowed to trade for a QB that will actually touch the field.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:05 pm

Most of my leagues whether I LM them or not have week 12 trade deadlines (playoffs begin week 14).

One theory is that this may cut down on teams dumping players for picks or starters for young players/backups to improve draft position. Once teams are mathematically eliminated from title contention, they play for next season and this often means trades that might not otherwise be proposed and/or accepted and teams can quickly go from bad to worse - by design. It can mean they trade away starters and field a far worse lineup because of it. That's not to say it always does or that it happens that way in every league. I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons. And, although I haven't had many problems like this, I have to think it's a consideration when establishing a trade deadline. It's debatable whether a couple weeks (ie: week 12 or week 14 deadlines) really make a huge difference, BUT
Perhaps teams are more likely to flush out a bunch starters that for whatever reason need to be moved once out of it order to fold the season - but I have to think most owners would only do that if they were completely eliminated. In 12-team leagues, that may not be until week 14. I'd be interested to hear from some other LMs on the topic. I'd be curious to hear more.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

dlf_ericd
Administrator

Postby dlf_ericd » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:59 am

Misfit74 wrote:Most of my leagues whether I LM them or not have week 12 trade deadlines (playoffs begin week 14).

One theory is that this may cut down on teams dumping players for picks or starters for young players/backups to improve draft position. Once teams are mathematically eliminated from title contention, they play for next season and this often means trades that might not otherwise be proposed and/or accepted and teams can quickly go from bad to worse - by design. It can mean they trade away starters and field a far worse lineup because of it. That's not to say it always does or that it happens that way in every league. I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons. And, although I haven't had many problems like this, I have to think it's a consideration when establishing a trade deadline. It's debatable whether a couple weeks (ie: week 12 or week 14 deadlines) really make a huge difference, BUT
Perhaps teams are more likely to flush out a bunch starters that for whatever reason need to be moved once out of it order to fold the season - but I have to think most owners would only do that if they were completely eliminated. In 12-team leagues, that may not be until week 14. I'd be interested to hear from some other LMs on the topic. I'd be curious to hear more.
This was similar to the debate that the conversation sparked in my league as well...the argument was that even if eliminated teams started dumping older starters to improve draft position or rebuild, isn't that the point of dynasty anyway? Plus, seems like the bottom team or two would already know they didn't have a championship-calibur team earlier in the season and would be dumping players anyway. I'm like you, I'd like to hear more opinions before changing anything...
On twitter? Hit me up @DLFootball

yumbo
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby yumbo » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:19 am

I don't see what the problem with Non-contending teams dumping aging players for picks and/or young players. That's how you get better. As long as the deal is good for both owners, what's the harm.

Personally, I like the deadline, but, I would make it right up to the last week of the league regular season, so a team in the playoffs that may not be the be strongest make a season altering deal in the days before a playoff game. That is when you start on a slippery slope of shady deals IMO. :wink:

You may have been born and bred in old Kentucky, but you're just a crumb up here! TM 3 Stooges

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:38 pm

I agree, Yumbo. I'd rather have the deadline than risk sliding down that slippery slope. If anything, I might find a way to have waivers or free agency beyond the trading deadline to help out in the injury scenarios. But then, there's something to be said for good old fashioned solid depth on your roster!

-oo-