Cam for Jimmy G Straight Up?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
thebeast
Legend
Legend

Re: Cam for Jimmy G Straight Up?

Postby thebeast » Tue May 29, 2018 11:32 am

maxhyde wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:40 am
Hambone72 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:44 am A guy wants to unload Cam. I have Brees, Luck, Brissett and Jimmy G. I personally believe he's getting the better player, especially long term. Is asking for a later draft pick to tag on too much? This is Team 2. Just wondering if it's smarter to hold, or to get what I can since I already have a QB1.
How in any way is JimmyG a better player? I mean I am not sure there has been a better fantasy QB in football than Cam. Consistently near the top option when healthy and JimmyG has 5 mediocre games
Wilson has been better than Cam, but that isn't the point. Right now, Garrappolo has flashed, if that is the true skill set then he will likely be the better player long term. Right now though you have to value Cam higher as he has put together a number of very good seasons, and at times without much talent around him.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue May 29, 2018 11:35 am

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue May 29, 2018 12:10 pm

thebeast wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:30 am
Ice wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 1:51 pm
Jason wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:37 am Jimmy Garoppolo went on a tear in his first 5 starts as a 49er after being traded to San Francisco by New England, winning all five games to close out the season – but one, if not more of his former teammates saw it coming.

Defensive end Cassius Marsh, who was also traded to the 49ers from the Patriots, recounts watching the former backup during Patriots practices.

“I already knew that was going to happen; I called it before anybody,” Marsh told the San Francisco Chronicle. “I knew because I was with the Patriots and he would shred our defense every day. He’d shred the first team every day, and it looked no different than when Tom was on the field. He’s a much better athlete than Tom; he’s super disciplined and works hard. I’m very happy to have him as my quarterback.”

The quote further pushes the narrative of the saga that came out last season, with Tom Brady fearing his starting role being stolen by Jimmy Garoppolo, forcing his backup out of town with the help of owner Robert Kraft, but to the dismay of head coach Bill Belichick.
Brady fearing he would take his job is laughable.
7 TD's and 5 Interceptions isn't really a tear.

Brady threw 8 interceptions all season and led the league with 4577 passing yards and chipped in 32 passing TD's.
I don't think it's laughable at all - See Farve/Rodgers. Brady is 41, most teams realize they need to be ahead of the curve to remain competitive long-term. You are already seeing signs of Brady's mentality shifting, he is spending more time with family, which he should be doing as he really has nothing left to prove. It wouldn't surprise me if he retired at the end of the season due to pressure from Giselle. At some point he is going to have to think about quality of life after football. The Patriots know this and should have moved in the direction of Garrappolo long term, they knew they had a very good, if not special, player in him. When Brady leaves the franchise is going to be hurting for a long time.
Your post might make more sense to me if Garoppolo actually played in NE today. What if's or what they should have done mean nothing.

Had they believed he was Rodgers they would have made a different call. NE had a chance to move him for a first a year earlier. They then had another year to watch him and could have franchised him or signed him and cut Brady instead of trading him.

Obviously they saw him inside the ropes just like the Packers did with Rodgers. Not to say they didn't like him, they did having turned down a 1st for him but they also have been watching Brady and winning this entire time as well.

The NFL is not close to fantasy. The NFL is WIN NOW especially with the Patriots and no one wins like they do. Bottom line, The Patriots believe with 100% certainty they have a better chance to win with Brady. Based on recent history, I have to side with the Pats and their logic.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Jason
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jason » Tue May 29, 2018 12:46 pm

Well the Patriots also thought they had a better chance to win with Eric Rowe at CB instead of Malcolm Butler, so their judgement isn't always 100%.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed May 30, 2018 12:41 pm

I offered mariota for Jimmy g in my 12 team SF and he replied with "lol" then countered with an absurd offer consisting of Antonio brown, guice and a future second.

Cam is the play for 2018 but I don't trust him long term.

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Wed May 30, 2018 1:26 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:41 pm I offered mariota for Jimmy g in my 12 team SF and he replied with "lol" then countered with an absurd offer consisting of Antonio brown, guice and a future second.
Brown + Guice is absurd for Garoppolo even in superflex, but I also would've rejected Mariota for Garoppolo straight up pretty quickly.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed May 30, 2018 4:45 pm

Jason wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:24 am I don't think anyone is saying Jimmy G is better than Brady. Was Brady paranoid about being Bledsoe'd by the kid? I think it's extremely possible because Jimmy G is really good at football and Belichick will always do what's best for the team, he's proven it time and time again with every unpopular decision...Brady is going to be a 41 year old QB. Jimmy's entire career ahead of him > Brady's last 2 decline seasons.

That said, I wouldn't project Jimmy ahead of either QB in 2018, and for fantasy purposes I'd rather have Cam overall until he stops running. Eventually that will have to happen, you can't take the kind of hits he takes into your mid-late 30s. If there's a case to be made for Jimmy over him it's that, but those owners are looking pretty far ahead into the future there.
I agree.

Wasn't the long ESPN article essentially saying that Bob Kraft stepped in and pretty much forced BB to deal Jimmy?

I have a hard time believing BB's master plan was to select a QB with a 2nd round pick, give him 3.5 years to learn the system, trade him and keep his 41-year-old QB. New England could've franchised Jimmy this year, bit that bullet for 1 year and then cut Brady after the season to save $15M off the cap.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed May 30, 2018 7:03 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:45 pm
Jason wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:24 am I don't think anyone is saying Jimmy G is better than Brady. Was Brady paranoid about being Bledsoe'd by the kid? I think it's extremely possible because Jimmy G is really good at football and Belichick will always do what's best for the team, he's proven it time and time again with every unpopular decision...Brady is going to be a 41 year old QB. Jimmy's entire career ahead of him > Brady's last 2 decline seasons.

That said, I wouldn't project Jimmy ahead of either QB in 2018, and for fantasy purposes I'd rather have Cam overall until he stops running. Eventually that will have to happen, you can't take the kind of hits he takes into your mid-late 30s. If there's a case to be made for Jimmy over him it's that, but those owners are looking pretty far ahead into the future there.
I agree.

Wasn't the long ESPN article essentially saying that Bob Kraft stepped in and pretty much forced BB to deal Jimmy?

I have a hard time believing BB's master plan was to select a QB with a 2nd round pick, give him 3.5 years to learn the system, trade him and keep his 41-year-old QB. New England could've franchised Jimmy this year, bit that bullet for 1 year and then cut Brady after the season to save $15M off the cap.
I don't think even the great BB necessarily thought Brady would outlast garrapollo. And yes the espn article reported it and I believe it. Kroft wants to keep winning while he has Brady and wanted the cap room. I'm sure he trusts bill to find another QB.