Cam for Jimmy G Straight Up?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Re: Cam for Jimmy G Straight Up?

Postby Valhalla » Tue May 29, 2018 5:33 am

ninotoreS wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:48 pm I think old man Tom Terrific would've averaged less than 200 yards a game if he were thrown into a new offense overnight with only the likes of Goodwin, Trent Taylor, and George Kittle to throw to.

And deliberately applied pressure from Brady clearly had something to do with Garoppolo's cheaply sold exit from New England. Brady is well aware of what happened to Joe Montana and Brett Favre when they had a promising backup waiting in the wings and were too passive about it; Tom learned from history and made sure it turned out differently this time.
My thoughts as well

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Tue May 29, 2018 6:32 am

ninotoreS wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:48 pm I think old man Tom Terrific would've averaged less than 200 yards a game if he were thrown into a new offense overnight with only the likes of Goodwin, Trent Taylor, and George Kittle to throw to.

And deliberately applied pressure from Brady clearly had something to do with Garoppolo's cheaply sold exit from New England. Brady is well aware of what happened to Joe Montana and Brett Favre when they had a promising backup waiting in the wings and were too passive about it; Tom learned from history and made sure it turned out differently this time.
Yes, this.

The simplest explanation is usually the right one.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue May 29, 2018 6:35 am

Lots of assumptions here. My money would be on Brady still being dominant on any team in the NFL. I also doubt he was truly worried about his job. He'll never be replaced as long as he doesn't have a Peyton Manning-type dropoff (though if he did I'm betting he'd retire first).

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue May 29, 2018 7:12 am

dynastyninja wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 6:35 am He'll never be replaced as long as he doesn't have a Peyton Manning-type dropoff (though if he did I'm betting he'd retire first).
Often times, an athlete doesn't know he's dropped off until the competition is too much to keep up with. Brady has even said as much in the past, basically saying he planned to play until his level of play told him he couldn't do it well anymore.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Tue May 29, 2018 8:40 am

Hambone72 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:44 am A guy wants to unload Cam. I have Brees, Luck, Brissett and Jimmy G. I personally believe he's getting the better player, especially long term. Is asking for a later draft pick to tag on too much? This is Team 2. Just wondering if it's smarter to hold, or to get what I can since I already have a QB1.
How in any way is JimmyG a better player? I mean I am not sure there has been a better fantasy QB in football than Cam. Consistently near the top option when healthy and JimmyG has 5 mediocre games
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue May 29, 2018 8:43 am

Valhalla wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:12 am
dynastyninja wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 6:35 am He'll never be replaced as long as he doesn't have a Peyton Manning-type dropoff (though if he did I'm betting he'd retire first).
Often times, an athlete doesn't know he's dropped off until the competition is too much to keep up with. Brady has even said as much in the past, basically saying he planned to play until his level of play told him he couldn't do it well anymore.
I think we basically agree. Brady will probably recognize when he's done and then retire.

Until then I don't think there's any chance they'd move from him, even if they still had Jimmy G.

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:59 am

Give me Cam easily.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Tue May 29, 2018 9:01 am

maxhyde wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:40 amHow in any way is JimmyG a better player? I mean I am not sure there has been a better fantasy QB in football than Cam. Consistently near the top option when healthy and JimmyG has 5 mediocre games
Not gonna argue the Cam side because you're right.

I'm assuming that you were only looking at Jimmy's stats when you made the comments above, right? Jimmy's top targets in those 5 games? A rookie WR, a rookie TE, a backup TE, and a journeyman WR who nobody else wanted. He also had the worst or one of the worst O-lines in football, and 3 of those Ints weren't his fault.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue May 29, 2018 9:10 am

MEuRaH wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:01 am
maxhyde wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:40 amHow in any way is JimmyG a better player? I mean I am not sure there has been a better fantasy QB in football than Cam. Consistently near the top option when healthy and JimmyG has 5 mediocre games

I'm assuming that you were only looking at Jimmy's stats when you made the comments above, right? Jimmy's top targets in those 5 games? A rookie WR, a rookie TE, a backup TE, and a journeyman WR who nobody else wanted. He also had the worst or one of the worst O-lines in football, and 3 of those Ints weren't his fault.
:shh:

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Tue May 29, 2018 9:45 am

Look he played/looked OK and the Niners won games. Very important to note winning NFL games does not make you a fantasy star. I just think it is silly to assume JimmyG is a top 5 QB based on what we know, not what could happen if all the stars align...even a top 10 QB finish would be a ridiculously good season. I mean his weapons didn't get any better did they so why all the optimism?

Honestly this is a better question for like David Carr/Winston type QB not Cam, then I could see taking either side if you really like JimmyG
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

Rasorin
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Rasorin » Tue May 29, 2018 9:51 am

Based on 5 games with Jimmy G was so amazing. Literally playing with corpses at WR, TE and O-line this guy won 5 games, and was so good in practice with the Pats he forced Brady, the best QB of this generation, maybe ever, until now, to get get traded for a 2nd round pick. One can only assume with actual living NFL caliber talent that Jimmy G will win exceed Brady's MVP and Super Bowl titles in less than 10 years. I mean if he's better than Brady, he has to be better than Cam. Rights?

While Cam may never repeat his 2015 performance, last year he did rush for 754 yards and 6 TDs making him a RB2 on those stats alone. But with a full season in 2018 its only reasonable to assume Jimmy be better than Brady in the air and better than Cam on the ground and be THE QB1 to own. Yes, 5 games is a small sample size, and he was only traded for a 2nd, but this won with corpses. He's either a Zombie Lord or the best QB of all time.

The Jimmy G hype train has officially gone off the rails. If not due to misperceived value, apparently this guy would go #1 overall is dynasty start ups. WTF!?!?!

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Tue May 29, 2018 10:47 am

maxhyde wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:45 am

Look he played/looked OK and the Niners won games. Very important to note winning NFL games does not make you a fantasy star. I just think it is silly to assume JimmyG is a top 5 QB based on what we know, not what could happen if all the stars align...even a top 10 QB finish would be a ridiculously good season. I mean his weapons didn't get any better did they so why all the optimism?
Actually, they DID get better.

Pierre Garcon, the #1 target on offense, is now back. Garoppolo never had this as an option.

Kittle & Taylor are now 2nd year WRs. Do we all agree that 2nd year receivers are miles better than rookies? There's not much difference between years 5 & 6 (for example), but there are big differences between years 1 and 2.

Speaking of rookies, 2nd rounder Dante Pettis is a guy who could contribute right away.

Garoppolo had about a months worth of preparation for this offense when he took over. Now he has an entire off-season, where all he's done is work tirelessly with the entire receiving unit. This alone would make anyone better.

The Niners draft McGlinchey, the best offensive tackle in the draft, at 10th overall. They now have two of the best tackles in the league to protect from edge rushers. They also signed Richburg from the Giants, a very good center to help the interior of that O-line.

RECAP:
-- New WRs
-- More Familiarity & Practice
-- Better O-line

I'm a HUGE 49er fan. I was never excited about Kaepernick. I already own two Garoppolo jerseys lol.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs

REAL RB GURUs:

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue May 29, 2018 11:14 am

I wish a few members in the leagues I own Garoppolo had access to the magic Kool-Aid some of you have been drinking.

Better than Cam! Better than Brady!

Just love the justifications like if Cam didn't have legs he would suck or if Brady was magically transported to some crappy team he would suck then the rest of could see that Jimmy G is not only the best player to ever walk to the earth, he can also walk across San Fransisco Bay without even getting his feet wet! He will probably throw 80 TD's this year without a single interception!

Pass the Kool-Aid, I need to get drunk on this fantasy!

Off the rails is right!
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Jason
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jason » Tue May 29, 2018 11:24 am

I don't think anyone is saying Jimmy G is better than Brady. Was Brady paranoid about being Bledsoe'd by the kid? I think it's extremely possible because Jimmy G is really good at football and Belichick will always do what's best for the team, he's proven it time and time again with every unpopular decision...Brady is going to be a 41 year old QB. Jimmy's entire career ahead of him > Brady's last 2 decline seasons.

That said, I wouldn't project Jimmy ahead of either QB in 2018, and for fantasy purposes I'd rather have Cam overall until he stops running. Eventually that will have to happen, you can't take the kind of hits he takes into your mid-late 30s. If there's a case to be made for Jimmy over him it's that, but those owners are looking pretty far ahead into the future there.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Tue May 29, 2018 11:30 am

Ice wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 1:51 pm
Jason wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:37 am Jimmy Garoppolo went on a tear in his first 5 starts as a 49er after being traded to San Francisco by New England, winning all five games to close out the season – but one, if not more of his former teammates saw it coming.

Defensive end Cassius Marsh, who was also traded to the 49ers from the Patriots, recounts watching the former backup during Patriots practices.

“I already knew that was going to happen; I called it before anybody,” Marsh told the San Francisco Chronicle. “I knew because I was with the Patriots and he would shred our defense every day. He’d shred the first team every day, and it looked no different than when Tom was on the field. He’s a much better athlete than Tom; he’s super disciplined and works hard. I’m very happy to have him as my quarterback.”

The quote further pushes the narrative of the saga that came out last season, with Tom Brady fearing his starting role being stolen by Jimmy Garoppolo, forcing his backup out of town with the help of owner Robert Kraft, but to the dismay of head coach Bill Belichick.
Brady fearing he would take his job is laughable.
7 TD's and 5 Interceptions isn't really a tear.

Brady threw 8 interceptions all season and led the league with 4577 passing yards and chipped in 32 passing TD's.
I don't think it's laughable at all - See Farve/Rodgers. Brady is 41, most teams realize they need to be ahead of the curve to remain competitive long-term. You are already seeing signs of Brady's mentality shifting, he is spending more time with family, which he should be doing as he really has nothing left to prove. It wouldn't surprise me if he retired at the end of the season due to pressure from Giselle. At some point he is going to have to think about quality of life after football. The Patriots know this and should have moved in the direction of Garrappolo long term, they knew they had a very good, if not special, player in him. When Brady leaves the franchise is going to be hurting for a long time.