Cam for Jimmy G Straight Up?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Cam for Jimmy G Straight Up?

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun May 27, 2018 4:56 pm

Ice wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 10:07 am Painting a picture without all the info is a bit misleading. Cam's real stats in 2017 4056 yards and 29 TD's. In most leagues he would have ranked top 4 points and top 6 in points per game.

Passer rating doesn't take into the account his rushing ability. It is not just rushing TD's but 754 yards last season alone to go along with his 6 TD's.

Garapolo may end up being great and I can see the pull of wanting to own him but at this point is based on feeling His 7 TD's to 5 Int RATIO is no better than Cam and he won't score as many rushing TD's.
Well yeah, Cam's rushing ability is the only thing holding up his value. He's not a good overall QB outside of that. And once he gets older, that ability will fade. He already takes a lot more hits than the typical QB does because of it. I understand that all that matters is the points, but I think what you look like on tape will eventually catch up to you and we've seen it with Cam the past two seasons.

I'm very high on Garoppolo. He looks the part on tape. Great mechanics, snappy quick release, good footwork in the pocket, has better presence in the pocket than Cam and has the ability to make all the throws. It's a bonus that he's playing for one of the top offensive minds in the game.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sun May 27, 2018 5:12 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:33 am Jimmy GQ
heh
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Jason
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jason » Mon May 28, 2018 8:02 am

Phaded wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 4:38 pm I remember when Matt Cassel was dubbed the next Tom Brady too..
I don't lol. He came along right after that 16-0 50 TD year with Moss and Welker, no one was saying he was the next Tom Brady.

People did erroneously think he was good however, nevermind that flukey 27td-7int 2010 season.

HughHoney
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby HughHoney » Mon May 28, 2018 8:41 am

JimmyG easily for me

Jason
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jason » Mon May 28, 2018 9:37 am

Jimmy Garoppolo went on a tear in his first 5 starts as a 49er after being traded to San Francisco by New England, winning all five games to close out the season – but one, if not more of his former teammates saw it coming.

Defensive end Cassius Marsh, who was also traded to the 49ers from the Patriots, recounts watching the former backup during Patriots practices.

“I already knew that was going to happen; I called it before anybody,” Marsh told the San Francisco Chronicle. “I knew because I was with the Patriots and he would shred our defense every day. He’d shred the first team every day, and it looked no different than when Tom was on the field. He’s a much better athlete than Tom; he’s super disciplined and works hard. I’m very happy to have him as my quarterback.”

The quote further pushes the narrative of the saga that came out last season, with Tom Brady fearing his starting role being stolen by Jimmy Garoppolo, forcing his backup out of town with the help of owner Robert Kraft, but to the dismay of head coach Bill Belichick.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon May 28, 2018 1:51 pm

Jason wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:37 am Jimmy Garoppolo went on a tear in his first 5 starts as a 49er after being traded to San Francisco by New England, winning all five games to close out the season – but one, if not more of his former teammates saw it coming.

Defensive end Cassius Marsh, who was also traded to the 49ers from the Patriots, recounts watching the former backup during Patriots practices.

“I already knew that was going to happen; I called it before anybody,” Marsh told the San Francisco Chronicle. “I knew because I was with the Patriots and he would shred our defense every day. He’d shred the first team every day, and it looked no different than when Tom was on the field. He’s a much better athlete than Tom; he’s super disciplined and works hard. I’m very happy to have him as my quarterback.”

The quote further pushes the narrative of the saga that came out last season, with Tom Brady fearing his starting role being stolen by Jimmy Garoppolo, forcing his backup out of town with the help of owner Robert Kraft, but to the dismay of head coach Bill Belichick.
Brady fearing he would take his job is laughable.
7 TD's and 5 Interceptions isn't really a tear.

Brady threw 8 interceptions all season and led the league with 4577 passing yards and chipped in 32 passing TD's.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Jason
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jason » Mon May 28, 2018 2:09 pm

If Brady got dumped on an 0-9 team with no established weapons whatsoever and had to learn a brand new system on the fly with players he'd never played with before, you don't think he'd throw a few interceptions? The arm talent on tape is undeniable.

I don't think Seth Wickersham was just BSing and blowing smoke up everyone's asses last year with that ESPN the Mag article. Even if it wasn't 100% accurate, where there's smoke there's usually fire.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Mon May 28, 2018 2:18 pm

Ice wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 1:51 pm
Jason wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:37 am Jimmy Garoppolo went on a tear in his first 5 starts as a 49er after being traded to San Francisco by New England, winning all five games to close out the season – but one, if not more of his former teammates saw it coming.

Brady fearing he would take his job is laughable.
7 TD's and 5 Interceptions isn't really a tear.

Brady threw 8 interceptions all season and led the league with 4577 passing yards and chipped in 32 passing TD's.
So you don't think Brady had anything to do with Garoppolo getting traded for under market value when the team had no viable backup on the roster?
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon May 28, 2018 2:23 pm

Jason wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 2:09 pm If Brady got dumped on an 0-9 team with no established weapons whatsoever and had to learn a brand new system on the fly with players he'd never played with before, you don't think he'd throw a few interceptions? The arm talent on tape is undeniable.

I don't think Seth Wickersham was just BSing and blowing smoke up everyone's asses last year with that ESPN the Mag article. Even if it wasn't 100% accurate, where there's smoke there's usually fire.
Lots of hypothetical ifs there. If Brady had broken his arm before the trade it wouldn't have happened....If Cleveland ever wins a game again the sky might fall.

The fact is there isn't a chance in Hell Brady was scared of losing his job which was my only point. No one in there right mind would really believe that. His level of play simply has not dropped off at this point. We all keep waiting but that dude must have made a deal with devil.

Edit to add:

As far as Brady having anything to do with Garoppolo leaving; Brady's play and the reality of salary cap finance certainly had something to do with his departure but what else is new; A long line of QB's before him also left.

I am certain it wasn't personal with Brady, he is focused on winning and not too concerned with a backup QB. Brady is one of the the best QB's to ever walk the planet and I stand by my comment that it is laughable he was concerned with losing his job.

Under Market Value is not really true. He went for Market value. The Pats could not afford to keep him. Obviously, a year earlier they could have and were offered more but chose to keep him for insurance purposes. To Jimmy G's credit, he played himself into a great contract in San Fran.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Mon May 28, 2018 3:23 pm

Ice wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 2:23 pm
Jason wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 2:09 pm If Brady got dumped on an 0-9 team with no established weapons whatsoever and had to learn a brand new system on the fly with players he'd never played with before, you don't think he'd throw a few interceptions? The arm talent on tape is undeniable.

Lots of hypothetical ifs there. If Brady had broken his arm before the trade it wouldn't have happened....If Cleveland ever wins a game again the sky might fall.

The fact is there isn't a chance in Hell Brady was scared of losing his job which was my only point. No one in there right mind would really believe that. His level of play simply has not dropped off at this point. We all keep waiting but that dude must have made a deal with devil.

Edit to add:

As far as Brady having anything to do with Garoppolo leaving; Brady's play and the reality of salary cap finance certainly had something to do with his departure but what else is new; A long line of QB's before him also left.

I am certain it wasn't personal with Brady, he is focused on winning and not too concerned with a backup QB. Brady is one of the the best QB's to ever walk the planet and I stand by my comment that it is laughable he was concerned with losing his job.

Under Market Value is not really true. He went for Market value. The Pats could not afford to keep him. Obviously, a year earlier they could have and were offered more but chose to keep him for insurance purposes. To Jimmy G's credit, he played himself into a great contract in San Fran.
You don't trade a young QB that other teams view as a potential franchise guy for a 2nd. Sam Bradford went for a 1st... I don't think Brady feared Garappolo in terms of being outplayed by Garappolo, but Belichick has twice moved on from aging star QBs that were not receptive to his coaching (Kosar & Bledsoe) and clearly Brady is becoming less coachable given this whole nonsense surrounding his personal trainer and TB12. Fear is probably the wrong word even there, but I suspect Brady was suspicious of Belichick trying to move him out before he wanted to go and he was a bad stretch of games from that happening.

WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
K - Just a stupid kicker

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon May 28, 2018 3:58 pm

ericanadian wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 3:23 pm
Ice wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 2:23 pm

Edit to add:

You don't trade a young QB that other teams view as a potential franchise guy for a 2nd. Sam Bradford went for a 1st... I don't think Brady feared Garappolo in terms of being outplayed by Garappolo, but Belichick has twice moved on from aging star QBs that were not receptive to his coaching (Kosar & Bledsoe) and clearly Brady is becoming less coachable given this whole nonsense surrounding his personal trainer and TB12. Fear is probably the wrong word even there, but I suspect Brady was suspicious of Belichick trying to move him out before he wanted to go and he was a bad stretch of games from that happening.
Obviously the Pats did and many other teams have made trades they may have lived to regret.

That said, Bradford is actually a perfect example of market value. One team fighting for a title shot loses their QB and rolls the dice on a late 1st pick to compete. The other, has no leverage on a player they can't really keep and ships him off for a high second. That's how it works in the NFL. It's all about situation and leverage.

Brady being less coach-able is also a stretch. He knows the system inside and out, is respected, and is the coach on the field. The reality is the Bill and Brady shows puts both in the conversation of best ever at their roles. No telling if the relationship is strained but if it is then its because Brady is underpaid and has nothing to do with Garappolo.

I get people love to hate on Brady or anything Pats but the business of football is a cold calculating business. The Pats had their chance to sell Jimmy a year earlier and elected not to so they lost leverage. San Fran wins due to that decision and the only thing Brady is guilty of is playing like the best QB on the planet.

Hard to buy into the two QB's mentioned. While Bledsoe was very good Brady has the hardware to prove he is the GOAT.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon May 28, 2018 6:01 pm

Jimmy G was not going to usurp Tom Brady.
Tom Brady was not going to retire and he was not going to be traded or cut.
Jimmy G was going to be a free agent - and the Pats were not going to pay him to continue to sit behind Brady.
They traded him because getting an early 2nd for him is better than whatever compensatory pick they would have got; and then they could also control the fact he went to the NFC (and not a rival).

...I'm not sure why anyone is acting like it is a mystery why Jimmy G got traded for what he did. It's not remotely surprising at all.
The only way Jimmy G was going to stay in New England is if Brady retired.

I hate Brady as much as anyone - but there really is a lot of foolishness going on here.

Everyone is talking about Jimmy G like he was - or even is some sort of lock to be a high-end franchise QB.
At the time he was traded for a 2nd; he had about as much success as AJ McCarron.
I don't think people were exactly lining up to trade for Jimmy G; the only other rumoured team was the Browns.

Comparing his trade value to Bradford is silly. Bradford has played in the NFL and was a former 1st overall pick who was derailed by injuries, not talent. Jimmy G had next-to-no playing experience and was a late 2nd round QB who have statistically very low odds of long-term success.

Once again - I get he is some new and sexy option; but people need to slow down.
Every single year this happens with this community and a bunch of young unproven QBs.
We continually see how this story ends - but hey, if the community hits on 1 out of 20; people will boast about how they called it.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon May 28, 2018 6:57 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:33 am Jimmy GQ by a mile. Cam is nothing without his legs, and his body can't keep taking the hits that his running style exposes him to. I suspect he will be a shadow of himself within 2 - 3 years, while Jimmy GQ will be a top 5 QB for the next 8 to 12 years. Just mho, but I did invest in him heavily.
Yes this. Easily Jimmy.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Mon May 28, 2018 7:39 pm

Phaded wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 6:01 pm Jimmy G was not going to usurp Tom Brady.
Tom Brady was not going to retire and he was not going to be traded or cut.
Jimmy G was going to be a free agent - and the Pats were not going to pay him to continue to sit behind Brady.
They traded him because getting an early 2nd for him is better than whatever compensatory pick they would have got; and then they could also control the fact he went to the NFC (and not a rival).

...I'm not sure why anyone is acting like it is a mystery why Jimmy G got traded for what he did. It's not remotely surprising at all.
The only way Jimmy G was going to stay in New England is if Brady retired.

I hate Brady as much as anyone - but there really is a lot of foolishness going on here.

Everyone is talking about Jimmy G like he was - or even is some sort of lock to be a high-end franchise QB.
At the time he was traded for a 2nd; he had about as much success as AJ McCarron.
I don't think people were exactly lining up to trade for Jimmy G; the only other rumoured team was the Browns.

Comparing his trade value to Bradford is silly. Bradford has played in the NFL and was a former 1st overall pick who was derailed by injuries, not talent. Jimmy G had next-to-no playing experience and was a late 2nd round QB who have statistically very low odds of long-term success.

Once again - I get he is some new and sexy option; but people need to slow down.
Every single year this happens with this community and a bunch of young unproven QBs.
We continually see how this story ends - but hey, if the community hits on 1 out of 20; people will boast about how they called it.
I don't disagree with any of your initial statements except obviously the compensation part.

Bradford was garbage even when he played. He had a 6.3 YPA in St. Louis. Blame Fisher if you like, but to argue he had put up quality stats is to just ignore reality. He came off a decent season in Philly, but that was mostly the tail end of Chip Kelly making anyone with a pulse look good. His biggest claim to fame at the time was being the last first overall guy to get a ridiculous contract before the rookie wage scale came into effect.

Garoppolo was a 2nd, so comparing him to AJ McCarron (a 5th) while bringing up Bradford's 1st round status is self-defeating. McCarron signed as a booby prize to the Bills as the last major QB off the market while Garoppolo signed one of the largest contracts in NFL history. This isn't just the fantasy community, this is the NFL.

If we're trading in rumours, there are a lot more of those supporting the idea that Brady and Belichick aren't on the best of terms right now than there are supporting the idea that there was no market for Garoppolo.

K - Just a stupid kicker

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon May 28, 2018 8:48 pm

I think old man Tom Terrific would've averaged less than 200 yards a game if he were thrown into a new offense overnight with only the likes of Goodwin, Trent Taylor, and George Kittle to throw to.

And deliberately applied pressure from Brady clearly had something to do with Garoppolo's cheaply sold exit from New England. Brady is well aware of what happened to Joe Montana and Brett Favre when they had a promising backup waiting in the wings and were too passive about it; Tom learned from history and made sure it turned out differently this time.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE