David Johnson - Code Red Panic? - Traded to Houston

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Needalife
Legend
Legend

Re: David Johnson longevity

Postby Needalife » Fri May 25, 2018 12:31 pm

I think he is an elite RB for 2-3 more seasons (age 26-29) and will slow to be a solid RB2 at age 30 and then be hit or miss after that. He is easily a top asset for that reason. Don't be the guy who trades him for Royce Freeman "to get younger".
14 TM / Devy / SuperFlex / TEP
1 Q / 2 RB / 2 WR / 1 TE / 1 SF / 3 F / 1 DT / 2 DE / 3 LB / 2 CB / 2 S / 1 F

QB: Jordan Love, Trevor Lawrence
RB: Zamir White, Jaylen Warren, Trey Benson, James Conner, Will Shipley
WR: Michael Pittman, Puka Nacua, Drake London, Marquise Brown, Christian Kirk, Josh Palmer
TE: Trey McBride, Jake Ferguson, Noah Gray
PK: Justin Tucker, Jason Myers
DT: Aaron Donald, Grover Stewart, Devonte Wyatt
DE: Alex Highsmith, Jonathan Cooper, Gregory Rousseau, Matt Judon, Baron Browning
LB: Fred Warner, Dre Greenlaw, Ernest Jones, Alex Anzalone, Jack Campbell
CB: L'Jarius Sneed, Deommodore Lenoir, Taron Johnson
S: Derwin James, Rayshawn Jenkins, Talanoa Hufanga, Kareem Jackson
DEVY: RB Nick Singleton PSU
2024 DEVY DEPLETED PICKS: 1.11, 1.13, 2.03, 2.05, 2.13, 3.01, 3.07, 3.10, 3.12, 4.03, 4.11, 4.15, 5.01, 5.02

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri May 25, 2018 12:50 pm

Jamaal Charles only had 1 season with more than 50 receptions. And I would contend it was injuries to his knees that did him in, not age necessarily.

I think DJ should have 4-5 really solid seasons. He will be starting his 5th season from now at age 30.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Fri May 25, 2018 12:55 pm

Thinking DJ will be relevant in fantasy in 5-7 years is just silly. Do yourselves a favor and don't try to project NFL rb anywhere past 2 years. Way too many things can happen in one 16 game NFL season. Weird how we are able to dismiss that. Cripes, it isn't like we are discussing a kicker here. He likely isn't even in the league at age 30-31. So, thinking past 3 years for a rb that will soon turn 27, is trivial.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Fri May 25, 2018 1:00 pm

Needalife wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:31 pm Don't be the guy who trades him for Royce Freeman "to get younger".
That would indeed be stupid.

But I might think long and hard about trading him in for 1.2 plus (a lot of plus). You'd get Guice or whoever else you got as the RB2 of this class, and while the drop off from DJ to Guice could be big in '18, don't underrate this year's class. A few superstar RBs other than Barkley are probably emerging from it.

In Guice's case, the fact that he's still not even 21, has 3-down ability as soon as Thompson is out of the way, and is being paired with an OC that coordinated monster seasons for Jamal Lewis and Willie Parker all points to a dynasty stud that could be poised for half a dozen elite seasons before he turns the same age DJ will be in 2019.
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:50 pmAnd I would contend it was injuries to his knees that did him in, not age necessarily.
Obviously, it's all related to age.

That non-contact second knee injury was a direct result of the knee and ankle injuries to his other leg causing him to overcompensate on the former leg for years. And since the second injury happened when he was too old, he couldn't recover. That's what happens when you get older. You can't get back to 100%, or even 90%, 80%... I've made exactly this point already.

Age caused the injury, and age prevented him from recovering from that injury. This is how age ends careers.

Direct and indirectly, age and abuse resulted in Charles losing his juice, and now it doesn't matter how good his hands and route-craft are, he's still done. Once a WR or RB has no juice, they can't do anything in the NFL. It's over.
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:50 pm Jamaal Charles only had 1 season with more than 50 receptions.
So does David Johnson. :P

Anyway, it's an established fact Charles was one of the league's best pass-catching RBs. When Denver gave him one last gasp to his career, it was for that aspect of his game. Miami signed Arian Foster for the same reason. Look how both those situations turned out.

There was a possibility DJ could have been a rich man's Larry Centers for his career, and thus have been on a track to remain effective well into his 30s. But he's gone the feature-back route, and y'all need to remember that an RB catching 80 passes in a season means he's also been tackled 80 more times on top of the 300 times he was tackled with his carries, plus all the other contact, broken tackles, etc, etc.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri May 25, 2018 2:31 pm

psu007 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:15 am This isn't really a trade question persay, although it's prompted by me thinking about trading for David Johnson. How do you value him at his age of 26, and how long do you think he can remain elite? He's that age where all of a sudden it's something on my mind, but at the same token he's only entering his 4th season so the usage isn't what say Bell's is. Is it realistic to think he could have 3 more elite years left?
With Arians retired, his usage should drop a bit this year and should allow him to continue to produce for several more years. I run in three year windows, so he's not currently a concern for me from an age perspective.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Fri May 25, 2018 2:55 pm

But Charles was a 200 lbs back that was a speed demon. He had 2 (3?) Torn ACLs in the pros alone. I don't think it is fair to compare DJ at 230 to Charles at 200. They win in deferent ways, and the reliance on physical attributes differs. While DJ is a physical specimen in his own rights, Charles's speed and cuts were his bread and butter. You blow out a knee two or three times you lose a few steps and all of a sudden you go from leading the league to an average speed 200 lb running back. I think DJ's size and pass catching ability will keep him relevant much longer than Charles. With that said I don't expect him to be my RB1 after he next few seasons.
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri May 25, 2018 4:43 pm

JFever wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:55 pm Do yourselves a favor and don't try to project NFL rb anywhere past 2 years.
Don’t do me any favors then, lmao...

TheRookiePro
Starter
Starter

Postby TheRookiePro » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:04 am

DJ held out of practice an undisclosed injury:
“It’s the offseason, and I’m not going to really indulge in injuries or things like that,” Wilks said. “We’re going to talk about the guys that are out there.”

Interesting way for Steve Wilks to establish his relationship with the media at the start of his head coaching career.
10 Team PPR, 25 man roster(1st and 2nd year player PS option for $20), QB, 2 RB, 3WR, TE, FLEX (RB,WR,TE), K, DEF.

QB-Luck, A. Smith, Fitzpatrick
RB-Gurley, M. Gordon, Jeff Wilson, Tevin Coleman,T. Montgomery, John Kelly, Justin Davis
WR-K. Allen, T. Hill, Josh Gordon, Golladay, Fitzgerald, S. Watkins, J. Reynolds, Enunwa,
TE-Burton, Ebron, Walker
K-Gostkowski
Defense-Vikings, Jaguars, Ravens

UATahoe
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UATahoe » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:10 am

It's the off-season so things normally get blown out of proportion but seems concerning given the head coach comments and the way he has handled other injury news.
12 Team PPR League 1Qb 2Rb 3Wr 1Flex 1Te 1Def 1K

1 QB Mahomes, Dak Prescott
2 RB Mixon, Kamara, Melvin Gordon, Nick Chubb, Royce Freeman, Justice Hill, Boston Scott, Ito Smith
3 WR Godwin, K. Allen, A. Cooper, S. Watkins, DJ Moore, Michael Gallup, Kelvin Harmon, Martavis Bryant, Core Coleman(IR) Preston Williams(IR)
1 TE Mark Andrews, H. Henry, H. Hurst, Ian Thomas, Goedert
D/ST Bears
K Zane Gonzalez

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:16 am

kamihamster wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:19 am Mileage is one aspect of it, but it's more so the aging process. Muscles change as you age and that's really what causes the drop off in production. I think the mileage aspect comes into play because you're more likely to get injured the more you play. As you age, also, you heal slower.
Good stuff, thanks :thumbup:

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:18 am

ninotoreS wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 1:00 pm
Needalife wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:31 pm Don't be the guy who trades him for Royce Freeman "to get younger".
That would indeed be stupid.

But I might think long and hard about trading him in for 1.2 plus (a lot of plus). You'd get Guice or whoever else you got as the RB2 of this class, and while the drop off from DJ to Guice could be big in '18, don't underrate this year's class. A few superstar RBs other than Barkley are probably emerging from it.

In Guice's case, the fact that he's still not even 21, has 3-down ability as soon as Thompson is out of the way, and is being paired with an OC that coordinated monster seasons for Jamal Lewis and Willie Parker all points to a dynasty stud that could be poised for half a dozen elite seasons before he turns the same age DJ will be in 2019.
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:50 pmAnd I would contend it was injuries to his knees that did him in, not age necessarily.
Obviously, it's all related to age.

That non-contact second knee injury was a direct result of the knee and ankle injuries to his other leg causing him to overcompensate on the former leg for years. And since the second injury happened when he was too old, he couldn't recover. That's what happens when you get older. You can't get back to 100%, or even 90%, 80%... I've made exactly this point already.

Age caused the injury, and age prevented him from recovering from that injury. This is how age ends careers.

Direct and indirectly, age and abuse resulted in Charles losing his juice, and now it doesn't matter how good his hands and route-craft are, he's still done. Once a WR or RB has no juice, they can't do anything in the NFL. It's over.
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:50 pm Jamaal Charles only had 1 season with more than 50 receptions.
So does David Johnson. :P

Anyway, it's an established fact Charles was one of the league's best pass-catching RBs. When Denver gave him one last gasp to his career, it was for that aspect of his game. Miami signed Arian Foster for the same reason. Look how both those situations turned out.

There was a possibility DJ could have been a rich man's Larry Centers for his career, and thus have been on a track to remain effective well into his 30s. But he's gone the feature-back route, and y'all need to remember that an RB catching 80 passes in a season means he's also been tackled 80 more times on top of the 300 times he was tackled with his carries, plus all the other contact, broken tackles, etc, etc.
Good points, thanks :thumbup:

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:24 am

Relevant piece from Adam Harstad that I bring up every time this sort of conversation happens: http://subscribers.footballguys.com/app ... rstadDiP18

PNWHawkfan
Starter
Starter

David Johnson

Postby PNWHawkfan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:50 pm

Anybody else worried about his production in a flat line offense. Is this a hold situation or a fire sale before it is too late? Curious what everyone is doing with his shares.
12 Team 38 man Rosters PPR/QB & TE Premium league QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR-TE/Flex and IDP (QB 6pts per TD)
QB- Justin Herbert, Kenny Pickett
RB-Bij. Robinson, J. Taylor, S. Barkley, D. Swift, JK Dobbins, G. Edwards, L. Fournette
WR-Justin Jefferson, Stefon Diggs, Diontae Johnson, Calvin Ridley, Josh Downs, Jayden Reed, Brandon Cooks
TE-Kelce, M. Andrews, T. Mcbride, C. Otton
K-Brandon Aubrey

IDP- 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 FLEX 2 PT per Tackle, .5 PT per Assist. 6 PT per sack/INT
DT/DE-Nick Bosa, Jaelen Phillips, Aiden Hutchinson, Jonathan Greenard, Sam Williams, Matt Judon
LB-Foyesade Oluokun, Frankie Luvu, Quincy Williams, Damone Clark, Shaquille Leonard, Matt Milano, Bryan Asamoah, Chad Muma,
DB- Kamren Curl, Reed Blankenship, Kyle Hamilton, Josh Metellus

2018 Champion 🏆
2020 Champion 🏆
2021 Champion 🏆

Taxi squad
Aiden O' Connel QB
Keaton Mitchell RB
Chris Brooks RB
Justyn Ross WR
Bryan Bresee DT
Tuli Tuipuloto DE

C_n_red_again
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: David Johnson

Postby C_n_red_again » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:56 pm

Well it can't get much worse. I'd hold
RUDL TEAM SIX
devy-dynasty-salary cap-12 teams-full ppr
1qb 2rb 3wr 1te 1flex dst kicker
Qb- Carson wentz
Rb- jay Ajayi, Joe Mixon, Damien Williams, James Connor
Wr- juju smith, Odell beckham, nuk Hopkins, , Michael Thomas,
TE- George kittle, Ian Thomas, chris Herndon
Devy squad- courtland sutton, jk dobbins , Jonathan Taylor, Travis ettienne, aj dillon
2014 runner up 2015 Champs 2016 champ 2017 runner up 2018 runner up

Team 2 horns and fins
Dynasty, devy, salary cap, 24 man roster start 1qb 2 Rb 1 tight end and a flex
Qb russel Wilson Phillip Rivers Marcus mariotta
Rb saquan barkely, Ezekiel Elliot, Christian mcafrey, Nick Chubb, Ronald Jones
Wr Keenan Allen, Micheal Thomas, Corey Davis, ty hilton
Tight end jack Doyle
Ir dairiuce guice
Devy squad jk dobbins Travis ettienne Damien Harris traveone Williams, Miles Sanders,deandre Swift, kelvin Harmon , aj brown,Brian Edwards,N’Keal Harry, tee higgins, Jerry juedy, Collin Johnson, courtland Sutton
2017 runner up 2018 champion

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Re: David Johnson

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:56 pm

I’m holding my two shares for now unless some owner blows me away with an offer. It is concerning though that he’s not getting as much work as we expected, they have to get him more touches, that’s there only real chance.