New league format

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
kamihamster
Captain
Captain

New league format

Postby kamihamster » Fri May 25, 2018 6:33 am

Not sure if this is a novel idea or not but I’ve never heard of it. How would you like a league where it could be any scoring format? Just like most leagues it’s head to head each week, but the home team gets to decide what scoring system they’d like to use (non-PPR, PPR, super flex, TE premium, PPC, half point PPR, etc). That’s the basic idea. You could come up with rules about how many times you can use a scoring system (if any). But I think a format like that could be fun. You’d have to have a very balanced team with no real skew towards a format because your opponent could choose your weakness.

I don’t know if MFL could support such a league. I haven’t thought out all the logistics like when the home team would have to decide the format. But I think id like to play in such a league. Would you like a league like this? Other than the logistics, what problems can you see if a league like this were to exist?

If this becomes a thing just remember kamihamster came up with it.
Last edited by kamihamster on Fri May 25, 2018 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
NTL (est 2016): (8-0)
12-team, PPR, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1FLX
QB: A.Rodgers, D.Jones
RB: A.Kamara, K.Johnson, K.Drake, Da.Henderson, C.Anderson, K.Ballage, T.Montgomery, J.Wilson, D.Ogunbowale, Dw.Washington, J.Kelly, P.Perkins, A.Blue
WR: O.Beckham, D.Hopkins, C.Kupp, D.Chark, R.Foster, A.Wilson, J.Reynolds, S.Morgan, B.Pringle, O.Johnson, D.Williams, D.Willis
TE: J.Cook, M.Andrews, A.Shaheen, B.Jarwin
2020 Picks: 3, 4
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4
2022 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

Home League (est 2014): 2018 Champ (6-2)
12-team, NPPR-6ptTD, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,2FLX,1K,1DST,4IDP
QB: P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, M.Breida, S.Michel, F.Gore, D.Guice, K.Ballage, D.Ogunbowale, R.Bonnafon, J.Scarlett, W.Gallman, J.Kelly, J.Wilson
WR: D.Adams, J.Smith-Schuster, T.Boyd, A.Robinson, L.Fitzgerald, Jo.Brown, M.Valdes-Scantiling, K.Harmon, Z.Pascal
TE: E.Engram, A.Hooper
DST: NOS
K: W.Lutz
2020 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Generic Username
All Pro
All Pro

Re: New league format

Postby Generic Username » Fri May 25, 2018 6:55 am

I think as commish you should be able to switch scoring format whenever you want, though I think it can only be applied to entire league...that said, you could easily designate weeks as PPR week, superflex week, bestball week, etc

kamihamster
Captain
Captain

Postby kamihamster » Fri May 25, 2018 8:36 am

Generic Username wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:55 am I think as commish you should be able to switch scoring format whenever you want, though I think it can only be applied to entire league...that said, you could easily designate weeks as PPR week, superflex week, bestball week, etc
I thought of a league like that too. That thought led to this one because I wanted to add a little twist to it where the ability to choose the format based off your opponent is a nice fun strategy component to the game.
RB: A.Kamara, K.Johnson, K.Drake, Da.Henderson, C.Anderson, K.Ballage, T.Montgomery, J.Wilson, D.Ogunbowale, Dw.Washington, J.Kelly, P.Perkins, A.Blue
WR: O.Beckham, D.Hopkins, C.Kupp, D.Chark, R.Foster, A.Wilson, J.Reynolds, S.Morgan, B.Pringle, O.Johnson, D.Williams, D.Willis

RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, M.Breida, S.Michel, F.Gore, D.Guice, K.Ballage, D.Ogunbowale, R.Bonnafon, J.Scarlett, W.Gallman, J.Kelly, J.Wilson
WR: D.Adams, J.Smith-Schuster, T.Boyd, A.Robinson, L.Fitzgerald, Jo.Brown, M.Valdes-Scantiling, K.Harmon, Z.Pascal

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri May 25, 2018 4:55 pm

Jules ran (or could be running still) a league where the format changed ever year for four years.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

kamihamster
Captain
Captain

Postby kamihamster » Fri May 25, 2018 6:27 pm

ArrylT wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 4:55 pm Jules ran (or could be running still) a league where the format changed ever year for four years.
I wonder how they liked it. This is that on steroids. One week it could be superflex PPR, the next it could be standard, 2 TE. you have to have a roster for everything because your opponent is going to see your weakness and try to exploit it.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:32 am

Just saw this. Love novel ideas. Bumping, bookmarking.

Given individual matchups may not be able to have different rules, perhaps allow league winner to defermine next year's settings?
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:54 am

This sounds like a fun idea, but also seems like a bit of work on the commish’s part. I don’t know how you would change the scoring/starting requirements for different games in one week, although it would be doable to have those changes apply to the entire league per week. Might be a bit challenging to build a team that has no weaknesses across any type of league platform, but would be cool to try. Would also love to see how values change during startup/rookie drafts/waivers/and especially trades.

millworkguy
Captain
Captain

Postby millworkguy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:41 pm

Certainly sounds like a headache on the part of the commish, and I would think it could only be done league wide. Would love to throw td only or ppc against another team depending on my roster.

I would think as the commish you would have to come up with a dozen or so that they would picj from each week. Maybe even have a dozen, each one can only be used once and each week a new team gets to pick the format. I'd be in ....
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)
DW2- Co-Commish (16 Team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

millworkguy
Captain
Captain

Postby millworkguy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:55 pm

12 weeks could be:

1 pt ppr
Non ppr
Ppc
Td only
Flex 9
Big play - bonus over 25 yards
Superflex
6 pt qb td with any system
Exclude 4 - can't start your best qb rb wr te
2 te - lose a flex spot
Te premium
Best ball

Based on the gimmick format if suggest 1 division with all play, or victory points for scoring. 6 teams into the playoffs vote on the scoring system with weighted votes (12 points pick 1, 1 pt pick 12) with the scoring system chosen with the most points ...
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)
DW2- Co-Commish (16 Team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:40 pm

Sounds fun if it can be done without too much work load on the commish. Choosing per individual matchup would probably affect weekly and seasonal high points totals awards though.

kamihamster
Captain
Captain

Postby kamihamster » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:00 am

azthecrow wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:40 pm Sounds fun if it can be done without too much work load on the commish. Choosing per individual matchup would probably affect weekly and seasonal high points totals awards though.
If it were done as I envisioned, then probably points would not be a good tie breaker. Maybe strength of schedule would work better.

I agree with everyone that it would be a pain to implement. But if MFL could provide a drop down menu to choose from a list of scoring formats it could become easy. Maybe someone knows a guy at MFL that could work that into the platform.

Just to add a little to how and why I came up with this idea:
I wanted to incorporate coaching into the game. It's not a perfect way to do it, but it allows managers to do it for half of their games. I figured the home team could choose it since there's really no advantage to being the home team in fantasy football, and this give you one now. As the manager of your team, you not only have to look at your lineup and asses it's strengths and weakness, you have to look at your opponent too. Sometimes it will be obvious, sometimes it wont be. But it's a fun way to try to stack the deck in your favor. As the visiting team, you probably will be exploited for your teams weakness, and after the 5th team does that format to you, you probably will be really motivated to shore up that weakness. It should create more trading. It will make the playoffs more intense and that home field advantage will really be a thing in the play offs, where as its meaningless right now. I see more fun coming out of this format than not. It just wont be feasible until MFL makes it a part of their platform.

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:14 am

Always love to hear new ideas. Home field advantage, with a limit to how many times you could choose each scoring type, would be fantastically fun. Seems a ton of work on comish part, if not altogether impossible. Would be a ton of fun if it worked out, and like your point said, make home field advantage matter in playoffs. Then have a neutral championship scoring format

The next best idea would be that the prior week's high score gets to decide the scoring for the upcoming week, and can't choose the same scoring format that was just used. That would be fun as well and be a reward for being top dog that week
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:07 pm

Not sure if I would want to run this league, but I see where it could be fun to play in.

I have some new ideas as well that if I was going to commish another startup, I would lay them out in concrete and only recruit owners who would buy in. LOL I know that plenty of "standard PPRtards" would scoff, but that's ok. They wouldn't be for everyone.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:16 pm

Here's my idea for the playoffs:

1) This will be implemented in some of my leagues this year, but I love the ability for the highest seeded team to choose his opponent from the 2 lowest seeded teams. And then the #2 seeded team gets the other opponent.

For example, I'm in some leagues that have 3 divisions, and 4 teams make the playoffs. I've seen numerous cases where the top 2 teams in the league are in the same division. So 1 of them becomes the #1 seed. The other becomes the #4 seed wildcard team. They have to play each other in week 1 of the playoffs. Meanwhile, the #3 seeded team won a weak division & they suck, so the #2 seed coasts on into the finals. Under my change, the #1 seeded team can choose to play that #3 seed. Owners who I propose this to like the rule.

2) For the homefield advantage in the playoffs, I would love to take each teams average weekly points from weeks 1 to 13 (the regular season), and add that to each playoff matchup. So in each round of the playoffs, your score is comprised of 2 components: 1) your score for that week. 2) your average weekly score from the regular season. IF you wanted to water this down, you could take the 'average weekly regular season score' and divide it by 2 and use that as your playoff bonus.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:21 pm

I'm in a 48 team league with 4 copies of each player. In 2016, week 13 had a bye, so we didn't want to do playoffs for that week. We did 3 week playoffs (weeks 14 to 16) instead of the normal 4 week playoffs (that have a 4 team all-play in week 16 for the champ).

The league was spinning their heads on how to structure the playoffs, and I came up with a solution that worked beautifully.

We have 4 12-team conferences that played 6-team 3 round playoffs. At the end of week 16, we had 4 conference winners.

Once those 4 conference winners were established, we added up the total playoff points from each of those teams. So if you had a week 14 bye, you still had to submit a lineup, and your points were very meaningful.

It was a pretty epic system how it played out.