The Tavon Hype Train is Real

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
TheRookiePro
Starter
Starter

Re: The Tavon Hype Train is Real

Postby TheRookiePro » Fri May 25, 2018 1:17 pm

Cowboysfan33 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 1:07 pm I’ve noticed that a lot of Eagles fans or other fans of teams that haven’t won SBs almost pull against the Cowboys more than they root for their own team. I always found that really weird and odd. I’m curious to see if the Eagles fans will still obsess over the Cowboys now, after they finally managed to win a SB after all of these years.
Cowboys fans that have never stepped foot in Dallas are generally annoying front-runners. That was my experience as a kid growing up outside of Philadelphia in the 90's when Aikman and Smith won 3 SBs.
10 Team PPR, 25 man roster(1st and 2nd year player PS option for $20), QB, 2 RB, 3WR, TE, FLEX (RB,WR,TE), K, DEF.

QB-Luck, A. Smith, Fitzpatrick
RB-Gurley, M. Gordon, Jeff Wilson, Tevin Coleman,T. Montgomery, John Kelly, Justin Davis
WR-K. Allen, T. Hill, Josh Gordon, Golladay, Fitzgerald, S. Watkins, J. Reynolds, Enunwa,
TE-Burton, Ebron, Walker
K-Gostkowski
Defense-Vikings, Jaguars, Ravens

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Fri May 25, 2018 1:44 pm

Cowboysfan33 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 1:01 pm They are paying him 3 million and the Rams take on the rest in a dead cap hit. I read that the day of the trade on CBS sports.
The rest is a roster bonus, so I didn't think that could be done, since it's Dallas' roster he'll be making. I'll take your word for it, though. Maybe it's actually the opposite; because it's a bonus, it doesn't have to transfer? Meh.
Cowboysfan33 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 1:07 pm I’ve noticed that a lot of Eagles fans or other fans of teams that haven’t won SBs almost pull against the Cowboys more than they root for their own team. I always found that really weird and odd. I’m curious to see if the Eagles fans will still obsess over the Cowboys now, after they finally managed to win a SB after all of these years.
Cowboys are the Yankees of the NFL, except a whole lot less successful in the 21st century.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

zelldawg26
Role Player
Role Player

Postby zelldawg26 » Fri May 25, 2018 6:16 pm

I remember the McFadden hype train right before they drafted Zeke. A lot of coach talk is used to throw off other teams. Make a team prepare and spend extra time studying other players in order to divert their focus from their actual offensive plan. 12 to 24 carries for Tavon Austin as a web back? That's total bs, and if I were a coach, I would say the same thing to throw teams off.
24 Player Roster/12 Team/PPR/IDP/PPT(Point Per Tackle)
4 player Taxi Squad

QB- Aaron Rodgers, Winston
RB- Monty, Ajayi, Ingram, Duke, Booker, Burkhead, Collins, Foreman, Breida
WR- Cooks, A-Rob, TY, Funchess, MBryant, Godwin, MWilliams, Golladay
TE-Engram
PK- M.Crosby
LB- CJ Mosley, L David
DE- Fowler, Okafor
DB- Clinton-Dix, Rashad Jones

24 player roster/12 team/0.5 PPR/IDP/4 player Taxi

QB- Luck, Carr, Bortles
RB- Zeke, Hyde, McKinnon, Henry, A Jones, Drake, Foreman, Booker, Dixon
WR- Evans, Hilton, ARob, Cooper, Watkins, Shepard, C Davis, Gordon, Doctson
TE-Olsen, Kittle
PK- Whatever
DE- Okafor, Hunter
LB- Buccanon, Mack
S- Baker, Mathieu

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri May 25, 2018 8:35 pm

How hilarious would it be if this was not fluff and they actually plan to get him that involved?

Then 2 games in of that kind of workload he gets hurt.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri May 25, 2018 9:47 pm

Tavon Austin and Derrius Heyward-Bey (yes he is still on a roster) are great examples of why draft pedigree matters at times. As long as they show they are willing to try - and flash just enough - they will continue to get another chance to stick.

Interesting to note that Austin has 1200+ yards rushing on 184 attempts in his 5 year career - and had similar attempts and Y/A as Chris Thompson last year. Not saying he's going to be Chris Thompson or Tarik Cohen - but seems silly to dismiss it out of hand - isnt that what people were doing about them last year?
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

bucsrule
Captain
Captain

Postby bucsrule » Sat May 26, 2018 6:16 am

All this Tavon hype reminds me of when he came out of college. He was supposedly going to be unstoppable at the NFL level. It's why I used an early pick on him that I've regretted ever since.

I don't see his body holding up half a season if he's getting the ball as much as they're saying. But then I don't see him getting the ball that much anyway.

Perhaps it should be noted he was on a roster helmed by Mr. July 9th so maybe there is something there, but I too would rather have Bo on my team than Tavon. I do hope, for him, he has a turn around season. Seems like a nice dude.

Pew Dogs
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Pew Dogs » Sat May 26, 2018 7:02 am

Pass. Move on, nothing to see here.
12 team, dynasty, ppr, 1RB, 3WR, 1TE, 3RB/WR/TEFlex
QB P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB J.Taylor, A.Kamara, E.Elliott, T.Pollard
WR D.Chark, B.Cooks, A.Cooper, A.St.Brown, J.Tolbert, T.Marshall, D.Slayton
TE T.Kelce, H.Henry

(League champ somehow)
QB J.Burrow
RB T.Etienne, I,Pacheco, J.Cook, T.Algeier, J.Wilson
WR C.Lamb, M.Evans, M.Pittman, D.Chark, R.Moore, D.Peoples-Jones
TE T.Hockenson

12 Team Dynasty ppr, 2QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,3Flex,TE Premium

QB J.Burrow, G.Smith
RB D.Cook, J.Mixon, A.Mattison, R.Mostert, S.Perine
WR M.Evans, A.Cooper, C.Kirk, N.Collins
TE E.Engram, G.Everett, C.Okonkwo, C.Otton

QB K.Murray, J.Burrow
RB D.Cook, D.Montgomery, A.Mattison, K.Herbert, T.Algeier
WR A.St.Brown, K.Allen, A.Theilen, B.Cooks, T.Boyd, R.Moore, D.Hopkins
TE T.Kelce, D.Waller, R.Gronkowski, R.Tonyan, C.Otton

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat May 26, 2018 7:05 am

turkjetfan wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 3:54 am I know, he hasn't been very good to this point in his career, but I think it was more situation than him as a player.
I used to argue this, but it's definitely Austin as a player:

1. Not a good route runner.
2. Sucks at taking contact.
3. Despite being fast, doesn't get open a ton.

Austin is what he is. Dallas may open up some more trick plays, but once defenses scout those there's nothing else to rely on.

But, hey it's the offseason: Where in some cases we forget that bad players are bad and good players are good.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat May 26, 2018 7:28 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 7:05 am
turkjetfan wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 3:54 am I know, he hasn't been very good to this point in his career, but I think it was more situation than him as a player.
I used to argue this, but it's definitely Austin as a player:

1. Not a good route runner.
2. Sucks at taking contact.
3. Despite being fast, doesn't get open a ton.

Austin is what he is. Dallas may open up some more trick plays, but once defenses scout those there's nothing else to rely on.

But, hey it's the offseason: Where in some cases we forget that bad players are bad and good players are good.
I would also add that he's not as agile as you would think, given his size. You're not likely to see many cuts where he breaks a defenders ankles and what he does do is mostly use the threat of his speed and slight changes in direction to throw a defender off balance when he's at full speed. It's effective in open space, but mostly useless at the line. This is probably why he doesn't get open a ton outside of bubble screens.

On the plus side, if Dallas' o-line returns to form, he should get plenty of space to get up to speed and that's when he can do some damage. As a change of pace for Elliott, he may actually be a good fit. Not sure he has the receiving ability to cover Dunbar's role though. As a receiver, he's exclusively a gadget player in my view.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

turcorox911
Role Player
Role Player

Postby turcorox911 » Sat May 26, 2018 7:06 pm

I'm excited to see Tavon this year, but I doubt he will be used a whole lot. I'm interested in seeing Scarbrough too.

Big Al
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Big Al » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:29 am

Does anyone know if Dallas officially made him a WR or not? MFL lists him as a RB but many ranking sites have him listed as a WR.

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:53 pm

turkjetfan wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 3:54 am I know, he hasn't been very good to this point in his career, but I think it was more situation than him as a player. I think it's real because....

1) It's coming from team sources not beat reporters.
2) It's occured after the draft and pre-OTAs when there is little reason to falsely hype.
3) The hype comments have been very specific about intended usage.

Net net, I think they indeed do plan to use him heavily. If it works out is another story, but I think he's well worth a flier.
Let me ask you an honest question. Would you actually think these thoughts if he wasn't on your roster?
I think he'll definitely have a role, but outside of the very deepest of deep leagues (like Pacific Ocean Mariana Trench deep) it will have no impact on FF.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:57 pm

turcorox911 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 7:06 pm I'm interested in seeing Scarbrough too.
You know, the Dallas O-line is maybe the one and only unit in the NFL that can make Scarbrough look just as good as he did behind Bama's line in '16.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:48 pm

Dallas getting Austin was a solid move. He won't get a ton of touches but in their system he will get a lot of underneath and jet sweep type plays. he will also take on punt return duties most likely.

Austin has been miscast is career. He is not a top tier Wr but he does bring an element of speed the Cowboys really need. I suspect he will also get quite a few carries behind that road grader line that Dallas actually improved big time in the draft. They have been looking for a Dunbar type with speed and quickness that can catch.

They didn't pay much to add versatility.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Dallas rolls through the NFC East this year. The reason won't be Austin. The Dallas defense should shock the league this year and finish in the top 3. They have hit on a lot of draft picks lately. Their front 7 this season will rival the best in the league.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:13 am

Ice wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:48 pm Wouldn't surprise me at all if Dallas rolls through the NFC East this year. The reason won't be Austin. The Dallas defense should shock the league this year and finish in the top 3. They have hit on a lot of draft picks lately. Their front 7 this season will rival the best in the league.
Uh...um...who wants to tell him? :confused:
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd