False Hype in the Offseason

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
TheRookiePro
Starter
Starter

False Hype in the Offseason

Postby TheRookiePro » Thu May 24, 2018 10:17 am

It's that time of year. When coaches use the media to hype up certain players. Thousands of fans literally buy into the product being promoted by calling up for season tickets.

What are some of the hyped up storylines from fantasy players that you bought into during the OTA/Training Camp, that ended up costing you during the regular season?

Last year I was overly excited from Gase's b.s. at the Dolphins camp:
"Dolphins coach Adam Gase suggested Jay Ajayi could see as many as 350 carries this season."
10 Team PPR, 25 man roster(1st and 2nd year player PS option for $20), QB, 2 RB, 3WR, TE, FLEX (RB,WR,TE), K, DEF.

QB-Luck, A. Smith, Fitzpatrick
RB-Gurley, M. Gordon, Jeff Wilson, Tevin Coleman,T. Montgomery, John Kelly, Justin Davis
WR-K. Allen, T. Hill, Josh Gordon, Golladay, Fitzgerald, S. Watkins, J. Reynolds, Enunwa,
TE-Burton, Ebron, Walker
K-Gostkowski
Defense-Vikings, Jaguars, Ravens

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: False Hype in the Offseason

Postby Bot101 » Thu May 24, 2018 10:27 am

I was gonna say... anyone from Miami. But that's the easy option. Pete Carroll seems to be a hype train driver lately.

TheRookiePro
Starter
Starter

Postby TheRookiePro » Thu May 24, 2018 10:37 am

Bot101 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:27 am Pete Carroll seems to be a hype train driver lately.
Can you blame him? The 12th Man is more likely going to be 12 men this season. They have regressed almost--6 losses in 2015, 5 losses and 1 tie in 2016--every year since their SB victory. They're heading in for their first losing season since 2011. Season ticket holders must be dropping like flies.
Last edited by TheRookiePro on Thu May 24, 2018 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
10 Team PPR, 25 man roster(1st and 2nd year player PS option for $20), QB, 2 RB, 3WR, TE, FLEX (RB,WR,TE), K, DEF.

QB-Luck, A. Smith, Fitzpatrick
RB-Gurley, M. Gordon, Jeff Wilson, Tevin Coleman,T. Montgomery, John Kelly, Justin Davis
WR-K. Allen, T. Hill, Josh Gordon, Golladay, Fitzgerald, S. Watkins, J. Reynolds, Enunwa,
TE-Burton, Ebron, Walker
K-Gostkowski
Defense-Vikings, Jaguars, Ravens

Jason
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jason » Thu May 24, 2018 10:42 am

It was actually before this thread but I've been trying to think of what would be the "Coachspeak Mount Rushmore" and came up with Adam Gase, Pete Carroll and Chuck Pagano so far, who should be the 4th?

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Thu May 24, 2018 10:50 am

Jason wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:42 am It was actually before this thread but I've been trying to think of what would be the "Coachspeak Mount Rushmore" and came up with Adam Gase, Pete Carroll and Chuck Pagano so far, who should be the 4th?
Bruce Arians would've been
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Thu May 24, 2018 12:19 pm

TheRookiePro wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:17 am Last year I was overly excited from Gase's b.s. at the Dolphins camp:
"Dolphins coach Adam Gase suggested Jay Ajayi could see as many as 350 carries this season."
We should have known better when they separately told us Ajayi, Parker, Landry, and Julius Thomas were all going to have the greatest season of all time.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu May 24, 2018 12:27 pm

Tavon Austin's gonna average 24 touches a game this year!

And that's totally not just a front-office desperate to convince their team's enormous fanbase that they shouldn't be upset about the state of the WR and TE depth-charts this offseason, especially after cutting Dez. They got Tavon Austin now! Everything's fine.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Thu May 24, 2018 1:16 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:27 pm Tavon Austin's gonna average 24 touches a game this year!

And that's totally not just a front-office desperate to convince their team's enormous fanbase that they shouldn't be upset about the state of the WR and TE depth-charts this offseason, especially after cutting Dez. They got Tavon Austin now! Everything's fine.
This was my first thought when I read the title.

The only other thing I could think of was the 3 or so glowing articles from Houston about Will Fuller. They'd normally excite me as a Fuller owner, but Davante Parker ruined any May excitement for me :lol:

Maybe it's too early, or maybe I'm just not listening as closely, but I haven't heard as much fluff as in previous years.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Thu May 24, 2018 1:30 pm

Are you guys forgetting that Jon Gruden is back to coaching? He’s going to have a 53 man roster where he “absolutely loves” all his “special” or “scary kids”

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Thu May 24, 2018 1:42 pm

Damn near any rookie.

But looking at ADP:

50 - Jerick McKinnon. Only going to rise as well. 50 still seems okay because I aside from injury I don't see how he isn't at least a 12-15 touch player all season, maintaining some sort of production. But I think a year from now a lot of owners will regret drafting him inside the top 50, and a lot more will regret not selling high.

57 - Cooper Kupp - Limited ceiling, third best WR on his own depth chart. He might see 100 targets. Way too rich for me. He is a nice player but he's the type of player you should be able to draft well outside the top 100 IMO.

61 - Kenyan Drake - There's a scenario where Kenyan Drake is well onside the top 100 ADP this time next year. I don't even think it's that unlikely.

84 - Tarik Cohen - Limited role, undersized. If he doesn't deliver his value will tank.

112 - Marquise Goodwin - Obvious career year last year. Had a strong finish to end of 2017 with Jimmy but no Garcon, Pettis, and now a whole off-season for Jimmy to get settled into the offense. 49ers will most certainly add another WR in the near future. Goodwin will not see enough targets to come close to that production unless the wheels fall off on the 49ers offense. Will be pushed down the depth chart even more within a year.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu May 24, 2018 2:58 pm

Cohen claims he's 190lbs now, which if true would give him better BMI than Sproles and Woodhead. Nagy isn't known for false hype (yet). We know Howard isn't gonna catch many passes. Cohen had 71 targets last year and that number is much more likely to rise than fall with Nagy. 7th round does seem a bit aggressive for Cohen, though. If he really is the new Sproles, fine. But that's not proven yet.

Kupp's dynasty ADP is valued long-term. If he's 57th in redraft, that's pretty dubious. 57th in start-up is okay, considering he's poised to be a go-to receiver with Jared Goff in Sean McVay's offense for years to come. 9th in the NFL yards-per-route-run last year. Already more efficient and graded better than Cooks in '17. If he plays 16 games, he's almost guaranteed to go north of 100 targets in '18, considering he already reached that last year as a rookie. Plus he led the league in red-zone target percentage in '17 (by a lot).

I fear you're mostly right about the other names.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Thu May 24, 2018 4:20 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:58 pm Cohen claims he's 190lbs now, which if true would give him better BMI than Sproles and Woodhead. Nagy isn't known for false hype (yet). We know Howard isn't gonna catch many passes. Cohen had 71 targets last year and that number is much more likely to rise than fall with Nagy. 7th round does seem a bit aggressive for Cohen, though. If he really is the new Sproles, fine. But that's not proven yet.

Kupp's dynasty ADP is valued long-term. If he's 57th in redraft, that's pretty dubious. 57th in start-up is okay, considering he's poised to be a go-to receiver with Jared Goff in Sean McVay's offense for years to come. 9th in the NFL yards-per-route-run last year. Already more efficient and graded better than Cooks in '17. If he plays 16 games, he's almost guaranteed to go north of 100 targets in '18, considering he already reached that last year as a rookie. Plus he led the league in red-zone target percentage in '17 (by a lot).

The problem with chasing Darren Sproles is he is an absolute outlier who was paired with Drew Brees and Sean Payton. Cohen isn't paired with them. Even with an injury to Howard, his carries most likely don't go up.

Kupp might hit 100 targets, but that's assuming Cooks/Woods don't. Cooks will get more targets than Sammy did in that offense because Cooks is better. Always has been, always will be. He has many more top 24 seasons in him. Kupp will be a fringe low end WR2, to WR3/4 on a yearly basis.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu May 24, 2018 4:52 pm

Miami might've been one of the easiest BS Hype stories ever:

Ajayi is going to get a billion carries!
Landry is still going to be really good too!
Parker is going to become Demaryius Thomas!
Julius Thomas is back to Denver form!
Kenny Stills is great too!
Tannehill is back and better than ever!

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri May 25, 2018 5:39 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:27 pm Tavon Austin's gonna average 24 touches a game this year!

While I don't think Dallas is real concerned with their WR's that certainly wins the award of False Hype so far this year. I do see the jet sweep type plays improving and maybe a bit of screens and short routes but 10-12 touches would be considered hype to many.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

whodunnit
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby whodunnit » Fri May 25, 2018 6:02 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:58 pm Cohen claims he's 190lbs now, which if true would give him better BMI than Sproles and Woodhead. Nagy isn't known for false hype (yet). We know Howard isn't gonna catch many passes. Cohen had 71 targets last year and that number is much more likely to rise than fall with Nagy. 7th round does seem a bit aggressive for Cohen, though. If he really is the new Sproles, fine. But that's not proven yet.

continuing with coach speak:
"Chicago Bears RB Jordan Howard is working on some issues to help him become a better receiver out of the backfield, according to new running backs coach Charles London, who mentioned hand placement, focus and concentration and hand-eye coordination as some of the areas he is hoping to see improvement."
Watson Goff Purdy
Pierce Swift Robinson Conner Patterson
Hill Lamb Pittman Williams Renfrow Samuel
Hockenson Knox Kmet Schultz