Ian Thomas

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
joeylitz
Role Player
Role Player

Ian Thomas

Postby joeylitz » Tue May 22, 2018 5:34 pm

I couldn’t find a thread on him so...
What does everyone think of him? Does he have potential to become a top 10 TE in fantasy in a few years?
2016 Frozen Tundra Dynasty League Champions
12 Team Dynasty, PPR, 1QB-2RB-3WR-1TE-1FLEX-1PK-1DST

QB: Brees. Wentz, Winston, Rudolph
RB: L. Bell, J. Conner, Michel. McKinnon, L. Miller, Montgomery, T. Riddick, Prosise, J. Conner,
WR: A. Robinson, Woods, M. Jones, Godwin, Boyd, Crabtree, Moncrief, Gabriel, C. Henderson, J. Washington, J. Moore
TE: D. Walker. Hooper, I. Thomas
K: Elliott
DST: DEN. KC

Draft:
1.08: Hockenson
2.08: JAWS
3.08:

playa_hata
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Ian Thomas

Postby playa_hata » Tue May 22, 2018 6:22 pm

far too early to tell definitely a long shot but if you own olsen hes worth a roster spot
12 team PPR SuperFlex start 9 (Same for each team)

TM1
QB: Rodgers, Rivers, Dak, Dalton, Smith
RB: Zeke, CMC, Jacobs, Chubb, Gore, Dearnest
WR: Davante Adams, Tyreek, Fuller, Aj Brown, AB, MVS, Fulgham, Ward, Fitz, Beasley, amendola, zaccheus
TE: Ertz, Engram, Fells

TM2
QB: Rodgers, Baker, Stafford, Bridgewater
RB:Kamara, Chubb, Hunt, Singletary
WR:M Evans,D Adams,Kupp, AJ brown, lockett, sanders,miller, Patrick, Robinson, Hamilton, Lasley, D.Robinson, Trey Quinn, Scantling, agholor
TE: Kelce, Rudolph, Irv smith, gronk, Burton

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed May 23, 2018 6:00 am

Good ball skills, pretty good athleticism, long arms and big hands, doesn't reliably separate from man coverage, play-speed in his short and intermediate routes doesn't match his time speed because he seems to be thinking about every step.

For now he's Olsen's heir apparent, but I don't recommend stashing him because it's just as likely Carolina takes another TE next year with a Day 1/2 pick, and that guy leapfrogs Thomas.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Wed May 23, 2018 7:44 am

4.01 is still a fairly premium pick in the NFL draft, so I feel like Carolina had to like him a decent amount to go up and get him there.
Odds are against him becoming a fantasy starter, but the physical tools are there and sitting for a couple years behind Olsen is about as good as it gets for a raw TE.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:28 am

I don't think it's unlikely that Olsen retires in a year or starts having injury issues. But if not, waiting 2+ years on a day 3 Tight End is a long time to burn a roster spot for potentially limited upside anyways (since most tight ends aren't very good ya know)

Jason
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jason » Wed May 23, 2018 9:44 am

I heard somewhere that between day 2 and day 3 of the draft teams were trying to really overpay for that 4.01 spot but Carolina stayed firm, they really wanted this guy. I think that matters a little.

If you're in a dynasty league where everyone is rostering 3+ TEs then Ian Thomas certainly deserves a speculative add I think.

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Wed May 23, 2018 10:12 am

I read about him first and wasn't expecting much. Reading about a 4.74 forty, I was expecting a clunker. Then watching his highlights I was pleasantly surprised. He has much better athleticism on tape. I got him at 4.12 in my rookie draft and am pumped about it. We have deep rosters and a 4-person taxi squad though.

Look at the endzone toe drag catch at the 1 min mark, not too many TEs can do that. OH and it was against 2nd in the nation ranked Ohio State and LB Jerome Baker (Dolphins 3.9).
2:15 mark he catches in the open field, gets some YAC and drops his shoulder on the safety.
2:45 1-handed catch against Penn State.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF_CgpnRBnM
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed May 23, 2018 4:57 pm

He couldn't separate from linebackers in man-coverage at the Senior Bowl practices. Much less a strong-safety.

Now, if he was 6'6", I'd be less critical of that, because TEs that big don't necessarily need much separation to be very effective pass-catchers.

Thomas is 6'3" and change (his listing is rounded up to 6'4", and his current Rotoworld listing at 6'5" is simply wrong). He's right at the borderline of being not quite big enough to be a potent mismatch only by grace of catch-radius and play-strength. He needs time to develop better route-craft before he's ready to be a difference-making receiver, probably multiple seasons.
jtd1387 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:44 am 4.01 is still a fairly premium pick in the NFL draft
Semantics, but no. I don't even think a mid-late 3rd round pick qualifies. Day 1 and early Day 2. Those are 'premium'.

it's not uncommon for former 4th round picks to be cut in their second or third season, if they're not panning out.
Jason wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:44 am I heard somewhere that between day 2 and day 3 of the draft teams were trying to really overpay for that 4.01 spot but Carolina stayed firm
I'd really like a link.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Jason
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jason » Thu May 24, 2018 3:38 am

Jason wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:44 am I heard somewhere that between day 2 and day 3 of the draft teams were trying to really overpay for that 4.01 spot but Carolina stayed firm
I'd really like a link.
[/quote]

On Matt Kelley's pod, we already know multiple teams offered them trades and Marcus Mosher claimed he knew "for certain" Carolina turned down a 4th and a 3rd next year to stay there. It was the end of the "Dante Pettis table pound" episode.

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Thu May 24, 2018 5:55 am

His ceiling is pretty low as a fantasy producer. TE2 is probably wishful thinking. But if deep rosters and taxi squad, by the time you are drafting in the Ian Thomas range the odds of any player panning out are pretty low. I think he has generally a little better shot of opportunity and production than the WRs/RBs still available that deep
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu May 24, 2018 10:22 am

Jason wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 3:38 am On Matt Kelley's pod, we already know multiple teams offered them trades and Marcus Mosher claimed he knew "for certain" Carolina turned down a 4th and a 3rd next year to stay there. It was the end of the "Dante Pettis table pound" episode.
Matt Kelley is a hot-take doofus with little credibility and Mosher is not known for having any legitimate internal sources. But okay. Noted. Thank you.
we already know multiple teams offered them trades
However, I'd still like to see the actual reports regarding this. "Kelley vaguely said so on his pod" is worthless to me. Mosher's claim is the only specific note I'm getting so far.
Last edited by ninotoreS on Thu May 24, 2018 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Jason
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jason » Thu May 24, 2018 10:27 am

ninotoreS wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:22 am
Jason wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 3:38 am On Matt Kelley's pod, we already know multiple teams offered them trades and Marcus Mosher claimed he knew "for certain" Carolina turned down a 4th and a 3rd next year to stay there. It was the end of the "Dante Pettis table pound" episode.
Matt Kelley is a hot-take doofus and Mosher isn't known to have any legitimate internal sources. But okay, noted. Thank you.
Eh he's entertaining. I just tend to assume his guests at least have some credibility lol.

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Thu May 24, 2018 11:37 am

Mosher has been incorrect so many times with his Dallas Cowboys takes, always citing sources, yet they're consistently wrong.