Salary Cap Contract League question: cap years?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
andyz
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Salary Cap Contract League question: cap years?

Postby andyz » Tue May 22, 2018 7:31 am

Hello all,

I'm conducting a startup with some long time dynasty friends and we're adding a salary cap twist this year. Have a couple of questions for those of you with a wealth of experience in this format.

1) I've seen some leagues cap the # of years you can allot to players. What are the pros/cons of doing this? I do not see this as a universal feature, just for some.

2) Many salary cap leagues use a small $ for the salary. Is there any issue with just having a large number to minimum the NFL (i.e. $30M)? Our rosters are not as large (25 + 5 Taxi) but we could scale it. Just wondering why most just use $200 or $300.

3) Finally, we are using MFL and is the auction price a player goes for automatically become their salary? I believe I need to add the contract years afterward but was not sure if MFL sets the price a player is won for as the initial salary. (this salary cap and starting auction $ need to be same).

Thanks!

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Re: Salary Cap Contract League question: cap years?

Postby moishetreats » Tue May 22, 2018 8:46 am

1) Depends on your league setup: Is there a penalty for dropping players?

2) Just easier to manage. Why give someone a $200,000 contract of a $30M budget when you can give that player a $2 contract on a $300 budget? Just a lot easier for everyone to eyeball and manage.

3) Yes. You need to set it up that way, though.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

andyz
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby andyz » Tue May 22, 2018 8:58 am

moishetreats wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 8:46 am 1) Depends on your league setup: Is there a penalty for dropping players?

2) Just easier to manage. Why give someone a $200,000 contract of a $30M budget when you can give that player a $2 contract on a $300 budget? Just a lot easier for everyone to eyeball and manage.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes there is a cap hit if you drop players.

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Tue May 22, 2018 10:44 am

the questions have been answered above but i would say the cap on contract years is so that the league remains competitive. If you force some level of roster turnover then it broadens the landscape and players switch teams and get sold off with a year remaining to contenders etc.

the one i am in does a set number of 4,3, & 2 year contracts at the startup but after each team assigns them you can go out and trade for as many 4 year players as you want
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

dawgs4life
Captain
Captain

Postby dawgs4life » Tue May 22, 2018 11:59 am

here is a league im in that seems to work good.
Max contract 5 yrs....player salary increases 10% each year, and cap increases 5%
take a look a the by-laws under REPORTS/RULES/LEAGUE SETTINGS.

this can give you another good example.

I love playing in these type leagues

andyz
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby andyz » Tue May 22, 2018 12:01 pm

dawgs4life wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:59 am here is a league im in that seems to work good.
Max contract 5 yrs....player salary increases 10% each year, and cap increases 5%

Do you have a link to the league?

dawgs4life
Captain
Captain

Postby dawgs4life » Tue May 22, 2018 12:37 pm

andyz wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:01 pm
dawgs4life wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:59 am here is a league im in that seems to work good.

Do you have a link to the league?
LOL...sry forgot to hit pasteclip...
http://www60.myfantasyleague.com/2018/home/62991#0

dawgs4life
Captain
Captain

Postby dawgs4life » Tue May 22, 2018 12:39 pm

If you scroll down from the league settings there is a nice setup in the bylaws....with hyperlinks to take you to certain areas
I only play in 16x53 with 10+ taxi size leagues with full IDP. All are PPR and most value return yardage. So my opinions may be skewed To these deep roster leagues.

Dynasty Fantasy is not a game, it’s a full time hobby.

CubfanAA
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby CubfanAA » Tue May 22, 2018 1:28 pm

Just as an FYI...If you are planning on setting up a salary cap/contract years league using the real NFL salary cap....you really should use Reality Sports Online. It is setup exactly to support this type of league. The downside to the site is a lack of customization, but if you are customizing a league for exactly the setup they use it is better than anything else around.

andyz
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby andyz » Tue May 22, 2018 2:27 pm

Yeah I looked into RSO and while it looks like it could handle a lot of the math aspects for me, #1 it's more expensive; #2 we're all really used to and like MFL customizations; #3 RSO mobile experience isnt great; #4 no slow auction option.

It's annoying to have to track salary cap hit on dropped players out of MFL (like in Excel) but it is what it is.

I see some people use RFA tags and some (actually most) just do Franchise/Transition. Is this just personal preference? Managing RFAs seems like it's slightly more work and might lead to less player turnover as you could have fewer FAs if teams just keep matching.

dawgs4life
Captain
Captain

Postby dawgs4life » Tue May 22, 2018 3:23 pm

andyz wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:27 pm Yeah I looked into RSO and while it looks like it could handle a lot of the math aspects for me, #1 it's more expensive; #2 we're all really used to and like MFL customizations; #3 RSO mobile experience isnt great; #4 no slow auction option.

It's annoying to have to track salary cap hit on dropped players out of MFL (like in Excel) but it is what it is.

I see some people use RFA tags and some (actually most) just do Franchise/Transition. Is this just personal preference? Managing RFAs seems like it's slightly more work and might lead to less player turnover as you could have fewer FAs if teams just keep matching.
In that league I posted, our commish has MFL set up to automatically add cap penalties for drops. they only time they have to do it manually is if a cap penalty is deleted for retired player or Taxi drops.
I think if you want to ask out commish some questions should be able to send him a message in the league site I think. good guy and always willing to help.
I only play in 16x53 with 10+ taxi size leagues with full IDP. All are PPR and most value return yardage. So my opinions may be skewed To these deep roster leagues.

Dynasty Fantasy is not a game, it’s a full time hobby.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Tue May 22, 2018 5:51 pm

andyz wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 8:58 am
moishetreats wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 8:46 am 1) Depends on your league setup: Is there a penalty for dropping players?

Thanks for the replies.

Yes there is a cap hit if you drop players.
In that case, as others have suggested, I'd give a max of 5 years. We have built in the possibility of contract extensions, but I don't think that you need to go there at the beginning.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

millworkguy
Captain
Captain

Postby millworkguy » Tue May 22, 2018 6:14 pm

I agree, salary cap leagues are the most fun. I too cap contracts at 7 years to force turnover , but contract cap leagues (total # of contract tears) also do this very well. Difference is in how you treat dropped contracts (players) is it a cap penalty or "dead year" penalty for players with years remaining on their contract

I also never understood why both salary' s and cap have to increase. We have a hard cap (stays the same each year) and player contracts increase 4%. With both numbers moving do your rookie draft pick salaries increase each year as well? Seems like alot of extra work (to keep calculating and track of). Year 1 of league, cap is 65,000, 1.01 is $2000. By year 5 your salary cap would be more then 80,000 but is 1.01 is still only $2000?
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)
DW2- Co-Commish (16 Team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Tue May 22, 2018 10:26 pm

Salary caps/salaries and cap years have very different functions.

Salary caps/player salaries limit the quality of any given team (theoretically at least), by preventing any one team from acquiring an overabundance of quality pieces. Of course, there is some wiggle room here, with drafts and smart trades (e.g. trading for a player about to break out).

Cap years meanwhile promotes player turnover. Taken to the extreme, it pushes a league toward keeper territory. In addition, it allows for the calculation of cap hits (i.e. the penalty a team incurs when it drops a player with time remaining on his contract). Some leagues apply a one time hit, others spread the hit across the remaining term of the contract, which is more draconian.

Both serve essential purposes, and both can be exclusive of one another. But most salary cap leagues also use a cap years.