Best Dynasty Startup Draft Slot?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Best Dynasty Startup Draft Slot?

Postby pvillebiker » Mon May 21, 2018 10:55 am

I've a dynasty Startup Draft starting in a few days. Interesting twist - we did dice rolls to order all 12 teams. Top one gets to choose their draft slot, then next one on down.

With 1/2 the teams in, I currently have top choice. Made me realize I have no idea what slot to pick!

League details: start 1QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 4 flex (QB/RB/WR/TE), no kicker - can start max 2 QB's. And it's TE premium (1.5 ppr). With scoring bonuses (+3 points) for >= 100 yards rushing/receiving or 300 yards passing.

Is there a best slot, and if so, why?

My 1st thought is to pick the earliest slot to 1.01 as possible and trade down during the draft. The 1.06/1.07 is probably safer with less wait between turns. Not sure if or how superflex or TE premium changes anything.

Thanks in advance for the insights!

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Re: Best Dynasty Startup Draft Slot?

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Mon May 21, 2018 11:14 am

You are correct! The best spot is 1.01, and then you want to trade down as many times as is possible. The only reason to not select the 1.01 is if you have a very strong suspicion that the league is going to be inactive and you won't be able to trade the pick, AND you really don't like any player more than the rest, but if that were the case I wouldn't be doing the startup in the first place!
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Mon May 21, 2018 4:18 pm

In leagues like this I look at the top guys and there are typcilly 4-8 guys that I feel I have to have one of in the first round. So for example, if you know you want one of OBJ, Nuk, or Gurley take spot 3. Basically I take the latest spot where I know I can get a first round player I will be happy with.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon May 21, 2018 4:25 pm

In a superflex format, I would want an early draft slot. 1.1 would be great. Lock down your franchise QB there, and let everyone else's QB grabs push you a solid player to your 2/3 wrap.

In a 1QB league, I guess I would like to be somewhere around 1.4.

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Mon May 21, 2018 4:38 pm

jordanzs wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:25 pm In a superflex format, I would want an early draft slot. 1.1 would be great. Lock down your franchise QB there, and let everyone else's QB grabs push you a solid player to your 2/3 wrap.

In a 1QB league, I guess I would like to be somewhere around 1.4.
This for me.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon May 21, 2018 11:32 pm

1 QB league I'd around 1.04. Get a top end RB or WR, and there is enough depth in the 2nd to lock in a good player whoever falls.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

JDogil12
Starter
Starter

Postby JDogil12 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:42 pm

A. 1X01 and trade down
B. 1X04, getting the last of the studs (OBJ,HOP,Gurley,Zeke)
C. SF= 1X05 adding Wentz to the list of studs

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Tue May 22, 2018 6:22 am

JDogil12 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:42 pm A. 1X01 and trade down
Interesting...

On B - is pretty appealing, since 1.04 -> picking 2.09 in 2nd. Should be a stud QB still there in 2nd. Could easily end up with Zeke + 1 of Cam/Luck/Watson/Winston for QB.

on C - wow, Wentz at 1.05 overall?!

cd6696
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cd6696 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:00 am

JDogil12 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:42 pm A. 1X01 and trade down
A for me. Get the value of the 1.01, trade it down to the mid-end of the first for extra picks then trade it down again for extra picks.

SoShady
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoShady » Tue May 22, 2018 2:27 pm

Currently drafting in a similar setup to you. Superflex with TE premium money league startup. I ended up with the 1.01 and couldn't get a single person interested in making a trade. Owning the 1.01 has been horrible would much rather be in the middle of the draft. The best offer I could get was the 8th overall pick and a 6th round pick which I declined. So I took Gurley with the 1.01.

It gets back to me and i'm debating some RB's and the QB's. I offer both my 2nd and 3rd round picks for trade downs and no interest not even one offer. So I decide to be safe. Hell a huge run of QB's is going to happen 10 QB's should go before I draft again. It's money league I can't end up with no QB's. Nope not a single QB taken in the 3rd round. Ended up with Jimmy G, Goff and Gurley as my start to the league and really not happy about the team. Now I have to worry about those random weeks that the Rams go in the tank that probably gives me an automatic loss.

Rosenbluu
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Rosenbluu » Tue May 22, 2018 3:38 pm

SoShady wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:27 pm Currently drafting in a similar setup to you. Superflex with TE premium money league startup. I ended up with the 1.01 and couldn't get a single person interested in making a trade. Owning the 1.01 has been horrible would much rather be in the middle of the draft. The best offer I could get was the 8th overall pick and a 6th round pick which I declined. So I took Gurley with the 1.01.

It gets back to me and i'm debating some RB's and the QB's. I offer both my 2nd and 3rd round picks for trade downs and no interest not even one offer. So I decide to be safe. Hell a huge run of QB's is going to happen 10 QB's should go before I draft again. It's money league I can't end up with no QB's. Nope not a single QB taken in the 3rd round. Ended up with Jimmy G, Goff and Gurley as my start to the league and really not happy about the team. Now I have to worry about those random weeks that the Rams go in the tank that probably gives me an automatic loss.
Some bad luck, for some reason every superflex im in people seem to not value QBs as much as they should. Which is why I usually go other positions first or one QB and/or WR/RB depending who is available with the option to maybe trade up if you see a run. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 but that’s how I try to play it out
12 Team PPR
QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex
QB: Mahomes/Jones
RB: Mixon/Chubb/Mostert/Burkhead/McKinnon
WR: Wilson/JuJu/Marquise/Mooney/Campbell/Dotson/Osborn/Julio/Tolbert/Shakir/Metchie
TE: Andrews/Hurst

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Tue May 22, 2018 6:39 pm

SoShady wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:27 pm Currently drafting in a similar setup to you. Superflex with TE premium money league startup. I ended up with the 1.01 and couldn't get a single person interested in making a trade. Owning the 1.01 has been horrible would much rather be in the middle of the draft. The best offer I could get was the 8th overall pick and a 6th round pick which I declined. So I took Gurley with the 1.01.

Wow, sorry to hear that dude. Appreciate you sharing. That is EXACTLY my fear. In my case I ended up with 2nd choice. The first guy took the 1.01. It feels wrong for me to not take the 1.02 slot now. But d@mn I just keep thinking about those long waits. Can easily mess up your whole strategy.

I seriously want to take the 1.05 or 1.06, but it just feels wrong to pass up the 1.02 for some reason.

SoShady
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoShady » Tue May 22, 2018 7:18 pm

I would go with 6 or 7 if I could have picked. I was even thinking about offering my entire draft for the 6th spot but never pulled the trigger on the offer. You can go with any strategy you want go with a stud WR, RB or QB and not feel pressured into any sort of pick at any point. Protection from any possible runs. That you really can't stop if you are drafting at 1.02. You can only hope you are starting one that might benefit you in 20 some picks.

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Tue May 22, 2018 7:45 pm

Yah, I've seen those trades before. One startup I did the guy had the 1.01 & traded his entire set of picks to the 1.11 guy. And got an extra 4th rounder to do it. Such a gamble banking on trade opportunities. Gotta be prepared to go it w/o them.

Interestingly enough - the 1.06 & 1.07 have the best max wait (# picks between your picks) at 12, but the worst min wait at 10. The #2 pick would be 20 max and 2 min. Too harsh for me.
Last edited by pvillebiker on Tue May 22, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue May 22, 2018 7:53 pm

See, in a 1 QB league, I don't want 1.01 at all. Recently any owner who has had it (at least in mine) has tried, and failed to move down a few slots, because nobody wants to pay up when they can land a player of similar talent without paying up. I got OBJ at 1.09. I then had an early 2nd to add to that. I know landing OBJ at 1.09 was an anomaly, but I would not want the 1.01 and then the 2.12. I hate having that long between picks, because there are such tier drops between when you pick and then pick again in the snake format.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick