Tanking

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MonkeyMafia
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Tanking

Postby MonkeyMafia » Sat May 19, 2018 8:28 am

If someone were to be in a rebuild and draft Barkley, would putting him on Taxi Squad all year count as tanking? I haven't encountered this before and know that not starting him in season would be tanking (extenuating circumstances excluded). I'm fairly new to Taxi Squads and not quite sure why etiquette dictates on this. For the record, I feel it should be considered tanking as you're not starting him any game. I'm mostly wanting to make sure that I'm not harshly judging an accepted practice.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Tanking

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat May 19, 2018 9:23 am

MonkeyMafia wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 8:28 am If someone were to be in a rebuild and draft Barkley, would putting him on Taxi Squad all year count as tanking? I haven't encountered this before and know that not starting him in season would be tanking (extenuating circumstances excluded). I'm fairly new to Taxi Squads and not quite sure why etiquette dictates on this. For the record, I feel it should be considered tanking as you're not starting him any game. I'm mostly wanting to make sure that I'm not harshly judging an accepted practice.
Yes, it's tanking. Now some commissioners are OK with this, but it's ultimately why I don't like Taxi Squads. You can use it to hide potential points. Just make the rosters 4 spots bigger and you avoid this. The problem is when you are rebuilding , you want to maximize your roster (as anyone does). If you have 24 roster spots, and 4 taxi, and only 3 rookies on your taxi, you are not maximizing it. If you drop Barkley to taxi, you are, and can add another vet to your roster, and hope you can acquire a pick or someone you like more with him at some point. It's the setup of taxi squads that allow this, and open up the door for these problems. It is designed for developmental players that may take years to develop, if they do at all, and the taxi allows you to hold them without taking up roster space. Again, this is why I feel you just increase roster sizes and do away with taxi. It eliminates the ability to hide potential points on the taxi. Barkley should be in anyones starting lineup week 1, so not only are you not starting your best lineup with him on taxi, you are hiding his Potential Points. It's basically tanking on 2 levels.

Now I currently have Chubb and Penny on my taxi, as in the off-season roster sizes increase, so I like to carry the max, and hope a guy goes off in pre-season, but week 1 Penny and Chubb will be on my active roster. Barkley is also on Taxi in that league currently. If he is on the guys taxi week 1 I will definitely point it out.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sat May 19, 2018 10:28 am

Putting him there at the start of the season isn't tanking. At this point there is no guarantee he produces well at all, regardless of what assumptions are built into his draft position. If he starts producing at a high level then leaving him there is tanking. From here, every league has it's own attitude/rules in regard to tanking and it's a topic already discussed a lot on this forum.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat May 19, 2018 10:45 am

skip wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 10:28 am Putting him there at the start of the season isn't tanking. At this point there is no guarantee he produces well at all, regardless of what assumptions are built into his draft position. If he starts producing at a high level then leaving him there is tanking. From here, every league has it's own attitude/rules in regard to tanking and it's a topic already discussed a lot on this forum.
There is no guarantee anybody produces well, though. My personal take is that the intent is tanking if anybody has Barkley on their taxi week 1. It's the intent. Not sure there can be much of an argument for not having Barkley on your roster week 1, unless it is for that purpose, and as you said, every league has their own set of rules for it. If it isn't against the rules, then technically it's OK, but I think this specific example is defeats the integrity of rostering your best players. Curious as to how many games you would feel it's acceptable to leave him there for if and when he starts producing?

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sat May 19, 2018 11:12 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 10:45 am
skip wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 10:28 am Putting him there at the start of the season isn't tanking. At this point there is no guarantee he produces well at all, regardless of what assumptions are built into his draft position. If he starts producing at a high level then leaving him there is tanking. From here, every league has it's own attitude/rules in regard to tanking and it's a topic already discussed a lot on this forum.
There is no guarantee anybody produces well, though. My personal take is that the intent is tanking if anybody has Barkley on their taxi week 1. It's the intent. Not sure there can be much of an argument for not having Barkley on your roster week 1, unless it is for that purpose, and as you said, every league has their own set of rules for it. If it isn't against the rules, then technically it's OK, but I think this specific example is defeats the integrity of rostering your best players. Curious as to how many games you would feel it's acceptable to leave him there for if and when he starts producing?
Well, I am 100% opposed to tanking and want owners kicked out of my league who do it. They also don't use taxi squads and I think this thread is a great reason why. I agree to a point that having him there at all implies intent. But could we not have said the same about Treadwell? Or Corey Davis last season? I don't know if there is a set parameter to put on it. I guess at whatever point he is producing well enough that he should be starting over a currently player in the owner's lineup.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Sat May 19, 2018 11:15 am

What are the rules for the taxi squad?
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat May 19, 2018 11:29 am

skip wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:12 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 10:45 am
Well, I am 100% opposed to tanking and want owners kicked out of my league who do it. They also don't use taxi squads and I think this thread is a great reason why. I agree to a point that having him there at all implies intent. But could we not have said the same about Treadwell? Or Corey Davis last season? I don't know if there is a set parameter to put on it. I guess at whatever point he is producing well enough that he should be starting over a currently player in the owner's lineup.
Agreed.

Rasorin
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Rasorin » Sat May 19, 2018 11:33 am

To me this a question of weather u want to allow teams to leverage the rules in the best interest of their teams. The rules allow u to put rookies on the taxi squad regardless of readiness to contribute. This is no different than MLB teams keeping MLB talent ready player in the minor leagues to acquire another year of service via the super 2 rule. It might not be the right thing short term but but more than beneficial to be help u be competitive long term. As such while it might not the popular play keeping Barkley on the taxi might be the right play, and legal play. Unless then bylaws state this nuance it is totoally legal and in fact the right play if u are in a rebuild. IMO

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sat May 19, 2018 12:03 pm

I don't use them but it comes down to one simple thing..

What do your league rules say about the taxi squad and who is eligible?

If there is nothing in your league rules against that, then as far as I am concerned it is legal - albeit a bit unethical.

As mentioned above, it's a great example of why taxi squads are not good and if they are there, there needs to be carefully written rules.

I do not understand why leagues use them and do not just increase rosters by x number of spots instead.

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Sat May 19, 2018 12:46 pm

It really boils down to the League rules, but most people would agree a guy that is going first rd in redraft being on the taxi is a tank move.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat May 19, 2018 1:01 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 9:23 am
MonkeyMafia wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 8:28 am If someone were to be in a rebuild and draft Barkley, would putting him on Taxi Squad all year count as tanking? I haven't encountered this before and know that not starting him in season would be tanking (extenuating circumstances excluded). I'm fairly new to Taxi Squads and not quite sure why etiquette dictates on this. For the record, I feel it should be considered tanking as you're not starting him any game. I'm mostly wanting to make sure that I'm not harshly judging an accepted practice.
Yes, it's tanking. Now some commissioners are OK with this, but it's ultimately why I don't like Taxi Squads. You can use it to hide potential points. Just make the rosters 4 spots bigger and you avoid this. The problem is when you are rebuilding , you want to maximize your roster (as anyone does). If you have 24 roster spots, and 4 taxi, and only 3 rookies on your taxi, you are not maximizing it. If you drop Barkley to taxi, you are, and can add another vet to your roster, and hope you can acquire a pick or someone you like more with him at some point. It's the setup of taxi squads that allow this, and open up the door for these problems. It is designed for developmental players that may take years to develop, if they do at all, and the taxi allows you to hold them without taking up roster space. Again, this is why I feel you just increase roster sizes and do away with taxi. It eliminates the ability to hide potential points on the taxi. Barkley should be in anyones starting lineup week 1, so not only are you not starting your best lineup with him on taxi, you are hiding his Potential Points. It's basically tanking on 2 levels.

Now I currently have Chubb and Penny on my taxi, as in the off-season roster sizes increase, so I like to carry the max, and hope a guy goes off in pre-season, but week 1 Penny and Chubb will be on my active roster. Barkley is also on Taxi in that league currently. If he is on the guys taxi week 1 I will definitely point it out.
What if teams were ranked off Potential Points, and PPs were based not just in players on your roster, but on your taxi, as well?
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Rasorin
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Rasorin » Sat May 19, 2018 2:23 pm

The whole point of taxis is to stash rookies if u want to, right? Who is the judge on who is worth and who isn't? That is a very slippery slope.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat May 19, 2018 3:52 pm

Rasorin wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:23 pm The whole point of taxis is to stash rookies if u want to, right? Who is the judge on who is worth and who isn't? That is a very slippery slope.
A lot of owners spend more time focusing on how to run other peoples teams than their own.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat May 19, 2018 3:56 pm

If you dont want players put on taxi squads - dont play in leagues that use taxi squads.

If you dont want to have devy - dont play in leagues that use devy.

If you dont want owners to focus on the long term - play in redraft leagues.

If you want to control how other owners run their teams - then play in leagues that allow vetos.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat May 19, 2018 4:29 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:01 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 9:23 am

What if teams were ranked off Potential Points, and PPs were based not just in players on your roster, but on your taxi, as well?
Then it wouldn't be as much of an issue. The question about starting your best lineup would still need to be raised (assuming, as in most league bylaws this is mentioned) Having Barkley on your taxi when (unless something goes horribly wrong in everybody's assessment of him) still doesn't seem to allow for you starting your best lineup (which can be subjective, to a point), but starting DeAndre Washington over Todd Gurley because he had a better matchup doesn't really hold a lot of water, for instance. I have experienced quite a few different scenarios of tanking over the years, so I think that this is a good thread for the OP to look over, as he is new to the idea of taxi squads. There will no doubt be varying opinions, but it's a good idea to get those, to allow him to develop an opinion on the matter.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Sat May 19, 2018 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.