Defense Wins Championships in FF?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
TheRookiePro
Starter
Starter

Defense Wins Championships in FF?

Postby TheRookiePro » Wed May 16, 2018 11:54 am

Ok short answer is no. However, I do feel the value of a defensive team is underrated. In my league I can't even remember a trade in which a defensive team was part of the deal.

I've made some big moves in this offseason but I still have a ton of interest in acquiring the RAMS defense. I feel like they're going to be fantasy gold this season.
10 Team PPR, 25 man roster(1st and 2nd year player PS option for $20), QB, 2 RB, 3WR, TE, FLEX (RB,WR,TE), K, DEF.

QB-Luck, A. Smith, Fitzpatrick
RB-Gurley, M. Gordon, Jeff Wilson, Tevin Coleman,T. Montgomery, John Kelly, Justin Davis
WR-K. Allen, T. Hill, Josh Gordon, Golladay, Fitzgerald, S. Watkins, J. Reynolds, Enunwa,
TE-Burton, Ebron, Walker
K-Gostkowski
Defense-Vikings, Jaguars, Ravens

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Re: Defense Wins Championships in FF?

Postby Valhalla » Wed May 16, 2018 11:56 am

If no one ever trades defenses, then your league must be pretty full of owners that don't place much value on them, or they would at least at times seek to obtain them. It should, therefore, be easy enough to go get the Rams D. Go get it done.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed May 16, 2018 12:00 pm

I was coming in here hoping for an elaborate debate on the benefits of IDP - I was disappointed.

TheRookiePro
Starter
Starter

Postby TheRookiePro » Wed May 16, 2018 12:03 pm

Phaded wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:00 pm I was coming in here hoping for an elaborate debate on the benefits of IDP - I was disappointed.
"Defensive Players Win championships in FF?" didn't have the same ring to it. And too long for a subject title.
10 Team PPR, 25 man roster(1st and 2nd year player PS option for $20), QB, 2 RB, 3WR, TE, FLEX (RB,WR,TE), K, DEF.

RB-Gurley, M. Gordon, Jeff Wilson, Tevin Coleman,T. Montgomery, John Kelly, Justin Davis
WR-K. Allen, T. Hill, Josh Gordon, Golladay, Fitzgerald, S. Watkins, J. Reynolds, Enunwa,
TE-Burton, Ebron, Walker
K-Gostkowski

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Wed May 16, 2018 1:30 pm

My league 2 in sig plays with defenses, and it has been a highly debated topic since day 1.

At first people treated them like they do in redraft, which is to say didn't value them at all. Then one of us stockpiled pretty much all waiver defenses left, including some defenses like the Vikings or the Rams that developed nicely the last few seasons., and people quickly noticed that streaming is not an option, but neither is starting a terrible D if you want to win.
Long story short, at this point there is basically never a defense left on waivers to stream, and the top defenses trade for elite prices, just like the other positions do (though a bit less still). Seahawks in their prime traded for 2 firsts, though they were an outlier due to how dominant they were for seasons. 2 (I think) seasons ago Vikings traded for a first etc.

I just find it difficult because defenses tend to change drastically within a few seasons and aren't very predictable.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed May 16, 2018 1:55 pm

Defenses are erratic and useful ones are always available on the wire each season. I'm glad my leagues in recent years either are IDP or eliminated them altogether.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Wed May 16, 2018 5:05 pm

skip wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:55 pm Defenses are erratic and useful ones are always available on the wire each season. I'm glad my leagues in recent years either are IDP or eliminated them altogether.
Like I said, depends on your league. Because they change so much from season to season you never know which ones are gonna be "studs" each year. Which is why in my leagues every single D is rostered year round, and they can actually have short term one season value (or more than one in rare cases).

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Wed May 16, 2018 5:38 pm

I picked up Jax in every one of my leagues 2 years ago for nothing. Defenses matter
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Wed May 16, 2018 6:22 pm

Phaded wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:00 pm I was coming in here hoping for an elaborate debate on the benefits of IDP - I was disappointed.
My first 3 yrs of idp I dominated because no one put much stock in defense. I still remember my glorious defense of jj watt, keuchley, Borland and Burnett. God I wish Borland played on, I won a match up by scoring 80pts between those just keuchley Borland and JJ (I think jj put up 34 with a TD, borland 24 and keuchley around early 20's)

ImaRounder
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ImaRounder » Wed May 16, 2018 6:46 pm

Almost exclusively draft IDP players from the 2nd round on in rookie drafts. A much more reliable investment at that point, especially in IDP heavy scoring

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed May 16, 2018 6:53 pm

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 5:05 pm
skip wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:55 pm Defenses are erratic and useful ones are always available on the wire each season. I'm glad my leagues in recent years either are IDP or eliminated them altogether.
Like I said, depends on your league. Because they change so much from season to season you never know which ones are gonna be "studs" each year. Which is why in my leagues every single D is rostered year round, and they can actually have short term one season value (or more than one in rare cases).
I've never seen more than two carried by anyone in my past leagues. Most only carried one and picked one up on the bye week.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

joeylitz
Role Player
Role Player

Postby joeylitz » Wed May 16, 2018 7:53 pm

I’ve had DEN and KC rostered the last 3 years and it worked out famously for me (with a slight downturn last year). Defenses matter
2016 Frozen Tundra Dynasty League Champions
12 Team Dynasty, PPR, 1QB-2RB-3WR-1TE-1FLEX-1PK-1DST

QB: Brees. Wentz, Winston, Rudolph
RB: L. Bell, J. Conner, Michel. McKinnon, L. Miller, Montgomery, T. Riddick, Prosise, J. Conner,
WR: A. Robinson, Woods, M. Jones, Godwin, Boyd, Crabtree, Moncrief, Gabriel, C. Henderson, J. Washington, J. Moore
TE: D. Walker. Hooper, I. Thomas
K: Elliott
DST: DEN. KC

Draft:
1.08: Hockenson
2.08: JAWS
3.08:

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Thu May 17, 2018 6:49 am

TheRookiePro wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:03 pm
"Defensive Players Win championships in FF?" didn't have the same ring to it. And too long for a subject title.
It would be a far superior thread, however.

-oo-

TheRookiePro
Starter
Starter

Postby TheRookiePro » Sat May 19, 2018 9:30 am

Valhalla wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:56 am If no one ever trades defenses, then your league must be pretty full of owners that don't place much value on them, or they would at least at times seek to obtain them. It should, therefore, be easy enough to go get the Rams D. Go get it done.
He's showing little interest. Offered me the Rams defense for Tevin Coleman straight up. No place really to go after that. I'll try again during the season. The Vikings defense isn't a liability.

TE-Burton, Ebron, Walker
K-Gostkowski

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Sat May 19, 2018 12:49 pm

TheRookiePro wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 9:30 am
Valhalla wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:56 am If no one ever trades defenses, then your league must be pretty full of owners that don't place much value on them, or they would at least at times seek to obtain them. It should, therefore, be easy enough to go get the Rams D. Go get it done.
He's showing little interest. Offered me the Rams defense for Tevin Coleman straight up. No place really to go after that. I'll try again during the season. The Vikings defense isn't a liability.
Vikings D is a cohesive unit that has largely played together and under the same system for years, and has its share of pro-bowlers. The Rams D looks good, but has a share of pro-bowlers just brought in, with less cohesion and some of them having no time in the system yet.
As good as the Rams look on paper, the Vikings D might be better anyways.