2018 Running Back Report

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: 2018 Running Back Report

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:08 am

JSylvester87 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:05 am I appreciate the write up, and I got crap for people in my league for my huge support of Kerryon Johnson and my hate of rojo and penny. I took Kerryon at #10 by trading up and would of drafted him at 1.2 if I had that pick and unable to trade back. I think Penny will be a bust and watched every single Kerryon game in college being an Auburn fan. Meanwhile last year I drafted Kizer thinking he would become something and he was the epitome of a "Turd Sandwich" (luckily took Mahomes in the top 10).
KJ @ 1.02

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:41 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:26 am
Pullo Vision wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:56 am
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:10 amAnd if I recall correctly I did set a goal for Turd Sandwich in which I will stop calling him that if he hits it. :lol:
I'd be more interested if you said you'd *eat* a turn sandwich if be "hits".
You got a deal. I will eat a turn sandwich if he hits.
What defines as "hits"? 1000 yards rushing this year?
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:43 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:08 am
JSylvester87 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:05 am I appreciate the write up, and I got crap for people in my league for my huge support of Kerryon Johnson and my hate of rojo and penny. I took Kerryon at #10 by trading up and would of drafted him at 1.2 if I had that pick and unable to trade back. I think Penny will be a bust and watched every single Kerryon game in college being an Auburn fan. Meanwhile last year I drafted Kizer thinking he would become something and he was the epitome of a "Turd Sandwich" (luckily took Mahomes in the top 10).
KJ @ 1.02

I took KJ @ 1.03. Proof (I'm 49ers, double copy league): http://www65.myfantasyleague.com/2018/o ... 48454&O=17

The other copy didn't get drafted for another 9 selections.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

JSylvester87
Role Player
Role Player

Postby JSylvester87 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:26 pm

I’d take KJ at 1.2 because I really liked his style and determination to actually learn and get better. Who else would I have wanted after Barkley? It was a crapshoot of guys where nobody stuck out. As I said, I think Penny is going to be a huge bust and tons of people pegged him at 1.2. Also Guice is a moron who I want no shares of. Add an ACL injury to that now as well.
War Eagle - 16 Team, going into year 9

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 TE/WR, 1K, 1D
QB: Patrick Mahomes, Dwayne Haskins, Mason Rudolph
RB: Le’Veon Bell, Dalvin Cook, Kerryon Johnson, Tony Pollard, Malcolm Brown
WR: JuJu Smith-Schuster, Odell Beckham, Michael Gallup, Sammy Watkins, Antonio Callaway
TE: Mark Andrews, Eric Ebron, Tyler Higbee
K: Will Lutz
D: Bears D
Champion 2012, 2013 , 2014 runner up, 2019 runner up.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:00 pm

Guice >>> KJ. Sorry Johnson riders. Need more than limited touches to change my opinion. Lamar Miller looked amazing with limited touches. And as a workhorse he couldnt handle it. Give KJ workhorse touches and he will fall apart quicker than most.

FantasyFreakGuru
Starter
Starter

Postby FantasyFreakGuru » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:08 pm

Is Philip Lindsay a thing? ........ or just a one year one hit wonder?
12 team league (Year One) Updated Week 14 2018 Season
DYNASTY GIANTS - 1pt PPR League Qb, Rb, Rb, Wr, Wr, Te, Flex (WR/RB/TE) K, D
Team Name: Keep It Green

QB-Cam Newton, Marcus Mariota
RB- Christian McCaffrey, Aaron Jones, Tarik Cohen, Adrian Peterson, Peyton Barber
WR- Keenan Allen, Tyreek Hill, Doug Baldwin, Nelson Agholor, Marvin Jones, Dede Westbrook, John Brown, Taywan Taylor
TE-Austin Hooper, Jimmy Graham, Ian Thomas
K&DEF- Matchup Stream Weekly
2019 pick Early 2nd, Late 2nd, Late 3rd, Late 4th
------------------------------------

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:57 pm

FantasyFreakGuru wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:08 pm Is Philip Lindsay a thing? ........ or just a one year one hit wonder?
Let's get to the end of his rookie season before considering it a wonder year.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:18 pm

I'm not gonna keep belaboring this point, but I do want to take one more run at his, because I think it is important. I take issue with the way this report is presented to us as the product of some metric-driven analysis, indeed you expressly refer to a series of "calculations". Yet the report reads like a scouting report.

The situation is even more muddled due to the use of "Tiers", which are not explained in any satisfactory way. How do players fall within a Tier. Do you run different calculations for different types of players (e.g. bellcow versus scat back). Or does your system segregate them automatically based upon a number of criteria?

I understand that you don't want to give away your formulas. No one is asking for that. But I think everyone here would be better served if you could provide (perhaps in 2019 and beyond) a clear metric that reflects the sum of your calculations. Ultimately, if you do run calculations, there must be a final score or perhaps a series of scores that sorts the RBs. I can't see how it would be harmful for you to provide that.

Lastly, scrutiny of a scientific or mathematical model is not only absolutely normal, but essential and healthy. You are putting this forth as a model, and as such you should expect some level of scrutiny and be open to explain reasonable questions about the model, not solely rest on its conclusions. Again, no one is asking for the underlying formulas, just a clearer understanding of what gets spit out.

UATahoe
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UATahoe » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:35 pm

Dude, just quit reading it and move on then if you don’t like it. Quite honestly, DD doesn’t even owe you a response. He does this because he likes to and decided to share it. If you don’t like it, why don’t you go do your own thing your own way? At this point, this argument just comes off as petty.
12 Team PPR League 1Qb 2Rb 3Wr 1Flex 1Te 1Def 1K

1 QB Mahomes, Dak Prescott
2 RB Mixon, Kamara, Melvin Gordon, Nick Chubb, Royce Freeman, Justice Hill, Boston Scott, Ito Smith
3 WR Godwin, K. Allen, A. Cooper, S. Watkins, DJ Moore, Michael Gallup, Kelvin Harmon, Martavis Bryant, Core Coleman(IR) Preston Williams(IR)
1 TE Mark Andrews, H. Henry, H. Hurst, Ian Thomas, Goedert
D/ST Bears
K Zane Gonzalez

Gtdano_14
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Gtdano_14 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:31 pm

At least there is less perceived hostility this go around.
16 Team PPR 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 TE - 1 Flex
QB- R.Wilson, B. Mayfield
RB- D. Cook, Zeke, J. Jacobs, J. McKinnon, A. Collins, I. Smith, B. Hill, R. Armstead, M. Boone
WR- J. Smith-Schuster, T. Boyd, C. Sutton, M. Brown, H. Ruggs, S. Miller
TE- G. Kittle, Enron, C. Herndon
'21 Picks- 1.12

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:48 pm

I've enjoyed reading DD's works- informative and a nice diversion. Definitely appreciate the time he's put into this over the years.

That said, I don't see Cult's points as petty or argumentative. The way the author has put together the prologue suggests an attempt to be measured and calculating. I can understand the author not being interested in revealing the full scope of the methodology used for this, not least because people will grab onto small details, argue about them and use those "flaws" in the method to discredit the entire effort.

But, I think a fuller understanding by the audience of the process and output (including how the tiering system was arrived at) will elevate this from informative diversion to a more deeply- and widely-appreciated study.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:10 pm

UATahoe wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:35 pm Dude, just quit reading it and move on then if you don’t like it. Quite honestly, DD doesn’t even owe you a response. He does this because he likes to and decided to share it. If you don’t like it, why don’t you go do your own thing your own way? At this point, this argument just comes off as petty.
Ha, for him to quit reading he would have to start, it's clear he hasn't read the report properly as half his arguements are explained quite clearly. It's not worth anyone's time here to run him through it point by point, so probs time to shelf those thread till the year is over and we have a larger sample size to work with.
This report always turns into chaos, can't wait for next year's though. I'm out

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:13 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:18 pm I'm not gonna keep belaboring this point, but I do want to take one more run at his, because I think it is important. I take issue with the way this report is presented to us as the product of some metric-driven analysis, indeed you expressly refer to a series of "calculations". Yet the report reads like a scouting report.
Could be because I included a scouting report of each player, but i'm just spit-balling here.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:37 pm

Hahahaha.
I am literally dying here.

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:43 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:13 pm
Cult of Dionysus wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:18 pm I'm not gonna keep belaboring this point, but I do want to take one more run at his, because I think it is important. I take issue with the way this report is presented to us as the product of some metric-driven analysis, indeed you expressly refer to a series of "calculations". Yet the report reads like a scouting report.
Could be because I included a scouting report of each player, but i'm just spit-balling here.
If I remember correctly he offers his own scouting report on top of the data analysis, not as a combined scoring methodology. He doesn’t add them together per se. And again, I think there are times where he is surprised by player X being in a certain tier or saying if it weren’t for ____(offfield concerns, missed playing time in college, injury, etc) he might be higher or lower in the tiers.

He has also stuck his neck out on a couple players saying they seem better to him than what the data tier system says(Rojo, maybe others I forget).

It’s not a perfect system and it’s not to identify can’t miss prospects, it’s just there to lower the odds of missing.
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5