Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Team RB or Team WR

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Fri May 11, 2018 4:25 pm

mlynarcm wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:56 pm
kamihamster wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:26 pm
PPR.JPG
What your graph shows me is that if you don't have one of the top 3 RBs for that year, you're better off with a WR. Since Leveon Bell is the only RB to be in the Top 3 for more than one year, over the last 4 years, it kind of shows that WRs are better in dynasty.
That’s true, but if you make exceptions for Zeke (suspension) & DJ (freak injury fo a RB), then it’s smoothed out a bit. Your point is still valid though. I think you just need to be sure who’s a stud RB & who’s a product of their situation. Currently, I’d say Bell, Zeke, Gurley, and maybe Fournette are safe bets as RB1 for the next 3-5 years regardless of game flow & even team. Guys like Kamara, Hunt, CMAC, Howard, Gordon, Mixon & other are going to be far more volatile year to year.

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Fri May 11, 2018 4:37 pm

so then maybe when building at team, you want to target WRs off the get go, lock them up, then build on RBs in the draft?
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Fri May 11, 2018 5:00 pm

joeya2001 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:37 pm so then maybe when building at team, you want to target WRs off the get go, lock them up, then build on RBs in the draft?
^this has always been the way to build in dynasty, someone already said it before, build with wrs but RBS tend to win championships

andypro7
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby andypro7 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:08 pm

You must also factor replacement value into the equation. During the heat of the season in a reasonably sized league, you can likely replace an injured WR with a passable 4 catches for 45 yards guy, or a guy like Jaron Brown who might catch a 57 yard TD.
Unless you have a top waiver pick, those types of RBs have been plucked clean.
That's why I tend to force myself to over-RB in drafts where the roster spots are open.

SnidelyWhiplash
Rookie
Rookie

Postby SnidelyWhiplash » Fri May 11, 2018 9:21 pm

Great topic. I am new to dynasty but have aimed to build my superflex team around veteran wr and qb and will hope to hit on rookie rb's. I feel as though rb is a far more volatile position.
12 team superflex /.5ppr/ 25 man rosters/3 IR
Start QB,2RB,2WR,TE,2Flex,Superflex, DST
QB: Rodgers, Brees, Cousins, Bridgewater
RB: Kamara, Jacobs, Kerryon, Carson,
WR: Hopkins, Julio, Lockett, A.J. Brown, McLaurin, Davis
TE: Jonnu, Ebron
DST: Chargers

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri May 11, 2018 9:24 pm

Can't it be a balance of both?
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri May 11, 2018 9:25 pm

andypro7 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:08 pm You must also factor replacement value into the equation. During the heat of the season in a reasonably sized league, you can likely replace an injured WR with a passable 4 catches for 45 yards guy, or a guy like Jaron Brown who might catch a 57 yard TD.
Unless you have a top waiver pick, those types of RBs have been plucked clean.
That's why I tend to force myself to over-RB in drafts where the roster spots are open.
Depends on roster sizes. Most leagues I'm in waiver wire is going to do next to nothing for you no matter what position
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

ascherb
Starter
Starter

Postby ascherb » Fri May 11, 2018 9:42 pm

I've had the most success when I build my team around stud WRs. They last longer.

Get your WRs set, then rely on the draft and trades to somehow land a young stud RB in the draft. Those guys rise to prominence and die so quickly, that it's almost better to treat them as less of a longterm building block and more of a fleeting finishing touch to a championship roster.

My league is 3 years in, and went WR early in the start-up. Took Evans and Hopkins with my first two picks. Keenan Allen after that. Didn't have much for RBs initially, but got by with the likes of Duke Johnson, James White and LaGarrette Blount. Drafted Mixon and Engram last year.

After the dust settled after trades, I ended up with 1.01 and 1.06 and got Barkley and Chubb.

So in the third year of my dynasty league, by going WR heavy in the start-up, I now have what I feel like is a very good and young roster capable of competing for a while:

QB: Rivers/Goff/Darnold
RB: Barkley
RB: Mixon
WR: Hopkins
WR: Evans
WR: Allen
TE: Engram

Had I gone RB heavy in the startup (guys like Doug Martin, Mark Ingram, etc.) instead of WR, I would not be in this position.
Please give us a visit for awesome FF content:

extrapointff.com

mlynarcm
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby mlynarcm » Sat May 12, 2018 12:10 am

It sounds like the term "RBs win chamionships" is being percieved in different ways. Maybe the terminology should be changed to "WRs will keep your team competitive year in and year out, but hitting on an RB while those WRs are in place wins championships"
Team 1
12 team league, PPR
Start 1QB, 1-3RBs, 1-3WRs, 1 TE
QB: D. Prescott, K. Cousins,
RB: D. Cook, M. Gordon, T. Cohen, D. Guice, R. Penny J. Mckinnon, L. Murray, C. Edmonds, D. Harris
WR: O. Beckham, D. Adams, K. Allen, J. Edleman, O. Johnson
TE: E. Ebron, G. Kittle

Team 2
QB: Mayfield, Winston,
RB: D. Cook, N. Chubb, K. Johnson, G. Bernard, N. Hines
WR: O. Beckham, J. Jones, A. Brown D. Funchess, Z. Jones, D. Moncrief, M Bryant
TE: G. Kittle, E. Ebron, R.Gronkowski

mlynarcm
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby mlynarcm » Sat May 12, 2018 12:20 am

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:25 pm
mlynarcm wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:56 pm
kamihamster wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:26 pm
PPR.JPG
What your graph shows me is that if you don't have one of the top 3 RBs for that year, you're better off with a WR. Since Leveon Bell is the only RB to be in the Top 3 for more than one year, over the last 4 years, it kind of shows that WRs are better in dynasty.
That’s true, but if you make exceptions for Zeke (suspension) & DJ (freak injury fo a RB), then it’s smoothed out a bit. Your point is still valid though. I think you just need to be sure who’s a stud RB & who’s a product of their situation. Currently, I’d say Bell, Zeke, Gurley, and maybe Fournette are safe bets as RB1 for the next 3-5 years regardless of game flow & even team. Guys like Kamara, Hunt, CMAC, Howard, Gordon, Mixon & other are going to be far more volatile year to year.
Every year we have a top guy who gets injured, so I dont really ding them for that. Actually when I see these players get injured I start targeting because the owner will sell them cheaper because they want to keep playing that year and I am willing to throw away my season to get them. This year due to injuries I acquired OBJ on team and A. Robinson and D Cooks on another. I love injured studs, but still target the WRs over the RBs
Team 1
12 team league, PPR
QB: D. Prescott, K. Cousins,
RB: D. Cook, M. Gordon, T. Cohen, D. Guice, R. Penny J. Mckinnon, L. Murray, C. Edmonds, D. Harris
WR: O. Beckham, D. Adams, K. Allen, J. Edleman, O. Johnson
TE: E. Ebron, G. Kittle

Team 2
QB: Mayfield, Winston,
RB: D. Cook, N. Chubb, K. Johnson, G. Bernard, N. Hines
WR: O. Beckham, J. Jones, A. Brown D. Funchess, Z. Jones, D. Moncrief, M Bryant
TE: G. Kittle, E. Ebron, R.Gronkowski

jaykay22
Starter
Starter

Postby jaykay22 » Sat May 12, 2018 11:34 am

mlynarcm wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 12:10 am It sounds like the term "RBs win chamionships" is being percieved in different ways. Maybe the terminology should be changed to "WRs will keep your team competitive year in and year out, but hitting on an RB while those WRs are in place wins championships"
This is spot on.

Basically aim for RB’s on rookie contracts in competent, ideally prolific offenses. They’ll carry you to deep playoff runs, even if you have a bunch of WR2’s for your WR’s.

In my home league, adding Hunt and Kamara was the push my middling team needed to go from potential annual playoff contender to highest scorer and championship winner.
The previous season, the owner with DJ, Freeman and Gordon (all RB’s on their rookie contracts) on his team crushed everyone in his path to highest scorer and champion status, as well.
#FreeCoreyDavis

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun May 13, 2018 2:01 pm

What if you like both?

Its like choosing between Team Edward and Team Jacob. ;)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Mon May 14, 2018 8:52 am

41 WRs with 10,000+ yards in their careers
32 RBs with 10,000+ yards in their careers

Plus the NFL had been run dominant for many years until now eh? I know it's a crude way to say it one way or the other, there are so many factors that go into it, but on the whole it seems like WRs produce more over their careers than RBs do.

My philosophy is to get stud WRs that produce week in and week out like a RB with a very steady floor that most WRs don't have. Thats my back bone as you can see. Now that I have my WRs locked up, I can draft and pick up as many RBs as I can and hope for some cheap production. There are tonnes of WRs pumping out 1,000 yard seasons, but their weekly consistency keeps them on your bench. I think the premium of having a guy like obj that is 20+ points nearly every weeks over a guy like Brandin cooks (even though I love cooks) who has his duds but still puts up 1,000 yards is worth more than the premium Zeke gets for having a few more points per game than say Melvin Gordon. Both are very stable RBs Zeke is clearly better but you can start Gordon and not lose sleep, obj is clearly better than cooks, but you might lose sleep when you have cooks in your line up and you're 10 points down heading into MNF.
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Mon May 14, 2018 9:08 am

nathanq42 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:52 am My philosophy is to get stud WRs that produce week in and week out like a RB with a very steady floor that most WRs don't have. Thats my back bone as you can see. Now that I have my WRs locked up, I can draft and pick up as many RBs as I can and hope for some cheap production. There are tonnes of WRs pumping out 1,000 yard seasons, but their weekly consistency keeps them on your bench. I think the premium of having a guy like obj that is 20+ points nearly every weeks over a guy like Brandin cooks (even though I love cooks) who has his duds but still puts up 1,000 yards is worth more than the premium Zeke gets for having a few more points per game than say Melvin Gordon. Both are very stable RBs Zeke is clearly better but you can start Gordon and not lose sleep, obj is clearly better than cooks, but you might lose sleep when you have cooks in your line up and you're 10 points down heading into MNF.
I see it completely differently. It's a lot easier to find a producing receiver than a producing back. The way I see it, you focus on top-end RB talent and then add non-stud receivers to round out your team. RB gets pretty thin after ~RB15. The graph that was posted earlier illustrates my point. Early RBs outperform early WRs, but after that the value is in the receiver.

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Mon May 14, 2018 9:13 am

mlynarcm wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 12:10 am It sounds like the term "RBs win chamionships" is being percieved in different ways. Maybe the terminology should be changed to "WRs will keep your team competitive year in and year out, but hitting on an RB while those WRs are in place wins championships"
This exactly
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol