Not submitting a lineup

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
grimace
All Pro
All Pro

Not submitting a lineup

Postby grimace » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:23 am

Have a question about warning/protocal for not submitting a lineup.

So my main Dyno league is a friends league in it's 3rd year, where we all know each other. My buddy is the commissioner, I'm sort of the Co. We never had problems with onwers failing to submit a lineup, until 3 time's this year. Each one from a different owner, the first two said they tried to set a lineup but MFL didn't let them, one even posted his lineup on the message board. The same time these can be true, or they can just be excuses, all three of these owners 3 three that visit the league site the least.

My question is do some people have some examples of their league protocal when an onwer doesn't submit a lineup, and then again and so forth?

Thanks

And I just remember many of the DLF leagues have this in their Bylaws on their Board Sections

grimace
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Not submitting a lineup

Postby grimace » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:28 am

Checked many of the DLF league Boards and didn't find anything on the subject.

What ever you guys do would be helpful thanks.

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:38 am

The way Mark handles it in the DLF leagues is one warning and then expulsion. Obviously, this is not in stone and the rules may be amended for a personal emergency but that is the general rule.

grimace
All Pro
All Pro

Postby grimace » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:46 am

We were thinking maybe

1st warning
2nd loss of your highest draft pick
3rd then expulsion

were all pretty close friends so we don't want to burn bridges also, most of the league get's together on Monday nights to watch football so....

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:15 am

grimace wrote:We were thinking maybe

1st warning
3rd then expulsion

were all pretty close friends so we don't want to burn bridges also, most of the league get's together on Monday nights to watch football so....
How about whoever doesn't have their lineup in buys all the pizza, wings, and drinks come Monday night as a little extra incentive to get their lineups in as well.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:01 pm

Pilate wrote:The way Mark handles it in the DLF leagues is one warning and then expulsion. Obviously, this is not in stone and the rules may be amended for a personal emergency but that is the general rule.
Unfortunately Nate is right on. We were having a lot of issues with owners not setting line ups this season so we felt it was necessary to tighten the reigns so to speak. The problem with online leagues is that we don't really know the applicants well enough therefore sometimes owners don't live up to the level of commitment that was agreed to when they were invited into the league. This is especially true in free leagues.

Local leagues with your buddies (especially cash leagues) should be handled differently. I doubt there are as many instances of owners not submitting a line up (I have zero issues with this in my local $ league) but I'm sure it happens sometimes. After the 1st offense I would talk to the owner and ask what's up. After the 2nd offense I would ask again and issue a warning. If a 3rd offense happened during the same season I would then look for a replacement.

I think it's important to note that I think it's a good idea to state your leagues policy on lack of participation in your leagues bylaws in one way or another if you have owners in your league that you don't know that well.

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:58 pm

I have it set up that the lineup defaults to the previous week's lineup if a new one is not submitted.

As for inactive owners - yes, not submitting lineups is a symptom of an inactive owner, but some teams can be competitive without changing their lineups. So, I would not use lineup submission as the only criterion in sending warnings or moving on to expulsion.

You have to take all of the activity into consideration. Luckily, on MFL, you can track activity of your owners. If someone hasn't logged onto the site in several weeks, that would be enough motive for me to investigate - do an interest check, etc. I"m very forgiving of personal issues keeping you away from your fantasy duties, but if it's just a litany of excuses, then it's time to move onto considering dumping the inactive owner.

Good luck! You don't need to have anything in writing, since reasons for expulsion can differ from owner to owner and you don't want to dwell on the negative. The Commissioner can probably determine if an owner is not that interested in being competitive in your league any longer, and then go about replacing him - usually in the off season, but if you feel the need, then immediately.

-oo-

fins4ever
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby fins4ever » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:46 am

All my leagues both as Commish and just beating other DLF members in the Leagues run from this site! :D are on mfl.com.

I'm not aware of MFL ever preventing a line-up being set, unless the deadline for setting a line-up has come and gone, when most league settings put last week's line-up in.

That coupled with you saying that the 3 members log in the least, tells me they lack motivation and just aren't that into your league for whatever reason.

Agree with the others: you need to have the bylaws clearly determined, at the start of the season. Your idea of 3 strikes and you're out type of thing sounds reasonable, unless there are genuine extenuating circumstances.

Jimi Hendrix
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jimi Hendrix » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:37 pm

In my leagues we also insert the previous weeks line-up if a line-up is not submitted
DLF Charter- Carolina Crosstown Traffic
DLF Charter II- Carolina Cozmik Vibes
DLF IDP Invitational--Stone Free
DLF IDP Invitational II--Lazy Lightnin (15 Champions)
DLF United -- Carolina Experience (17 Champs)
Lead Dog--Bad Company
FAAFFL--Purple Haze (99,08 Champions)
RnRFFL--Crosstown Traffic (2000, 02, 04, 10, 17, 18,19 Champions)
Gridiron Elite Dynasty League--Appalachian Mountaineers

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:22 pm

In the dynasty league that I run, any loss that a team incurred while having an imcomplete lineup will be counted as a win when it comes to draft pick seeding for the next year.

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:27 am

In my leagues with the lottery system, you lose half your chips for each occurance.
In one league the Commish will set your align, pickup players needed, and drop guys - 3rd infraction is termination.

In the dynasty league I commish we all know each other and the rules are known by all. Lineup's from last week are on auto, but if you fail to remove someone that is out or play someone on bye week... you drop 1 draft spot for each occurance. Although it does happen occasionally, we don't really have a problem since no one wants their draft spot compromised.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:53 am

The only issue with dealing with draft positions and loss of picks is that more often than not (at least in my leagues) another owner already owns the pick(s) that are most significant.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:12 pm

skip wrote:The only issue with dealing with draft positions and loss of picks is that more often than not (at least in my leagues) another owner already owns the pick(s) that are most significant.
That's a really good point. Some more immediate penalty is called for. That's easy in a liberal money league...

In my local league, the owners who are repeat offenders of keeping bye week players in the lineup are subject to mocking and ridicule. Once their manhood is questioned a time or two, they either comply or move on.

-oo-

Guppy CEO
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Guppy CEO » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:07 am

i'm dealing with this situation also this week. my opponent only has 1 TE (witten), and since he's already played, he can no longer submit a lineup at all on mfl. he and i are fighting over the same draft slot, so he'll now get the lower slot by losing the h2h, while a 0 kills his total points.
2008 Champion, 2009 runner up, 2011 champ
fear the guppy!!!!!

tjaden
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby tjaden » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:14 am

skip wrote:
grimace wrote:We were thinking maybe

1st warning
3rd then expulsion

How about whoever doesn't have their lineup in buys all the pizza, wings, and drinks come Monday night as a little extra incentive to get their lineups in as well.

That sounds good :thumbup:
Last edited by tjaden on Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.