practice/taxi squad. help please!!

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
stingray_76
Role Player
Role Player

practice/taxi squad. help please!!

Postby stingray_76 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:00 pm

I am going to attempt to get a practice/taxi/IR squad voted into my league this off season. But i'd like to hear what variations you guys are using. What works? What doesn't?

we currently have 28 active roster spots with NO Practice squad and NO provision for IR spots.
our starting requirements are 14 players, as follows: 1QB, 2WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1FLEX (WR,RB,TE), 1K, 2DB, 2LB, 2DL.
We have NO roster restrictions at any position but "must carry at least ONE Player at all positions. so in theory i can carry a total of 17 WRs or 17 RBs throughout the year. :crazy:
we currently have a 5 round Rookie/FA draft during the hall of fame game.
this is a new league (this season is the first year) so most, if not all, are unaware of the value of Draft picks and holding developing players. under our current format, draft picks become almost useless after the first round as we really don't have roster spots to hold the deep sleepers or the developing talent drafted in the mid and later rounds.

i have spoken to many league members and they mostly seem resistive to the idea of adding roster spots, and would actually rather lowering the rosters to 25 or less. the prevailing argument being "the waiver wire is bare, where's the fun in that" or guys should have to make tough drops and lose good prospects to fill bye week positions" :wtf:

help me find the best possible options for roster expansion and the arguments/ persuasions i need to get my league on board.

thanks fellas!! :thumbup:

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: practice/taxi squad. help please!!

Postby skip » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:03 pm

The larger the rosters, the less these are needed. Both the DLF I and IV use 30-man rosters without a taxi or IR - they also are not IDP.

In my main league we have 22-man rosters, 3 IR spots, and 2 taxi spots.

Taxi spots may only be taken up by rookies - and may only be put there prior to the start of the season. Once promoted, they cannot be moved back onto it - nor can anyone replace them on it. If they are traded, they go on the active roster of the new team and may not be moved to their taxi squad.

With he 3 IR spots, once a player is placed on the IR the owner may not drop them. They may trade them, but must immediately go on IR for the new owner's club.

As to some of their arguments, I tend to agree that if you are trying to find someone for a bye week and you aren't rostering the right balance to cover them then you should have to make a "tough" decision.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:44 pm

In my 16 team IDP leagues, we use a 2 man taxi squad. It functions as a hybrid IR/Practice Squad. You can place any player on the squad, but you cannot activate them during the season. You can cut players from the squad - in fact, that's the only way to activate them, to cut them, then put a waiver claim in on them the following week.

This has worked great for me for over 15 years. One of my leagues, we have 11 starters, 22 man roster, and the 2 man taxi squad. In the others its start 16(8 offense, 8 IDP), 30 man roster, and 2 man taxi squad. All are 16 team leagues.

-oo-

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:49 pm

to make your draft more valuable, cut down rosters in the offseason. For instance, you have a 28 man roster, with 14 starters (which is optimal as far as I'm concerned - roster size double the starters) - what I would do is cut down to 20 players, then have a 3 round rookie draft, and a five round FA draft.

-oo-

awarunn
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby awarunn » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:07 pm

What website do you guys use in which you can have a taxi squad?
14 Team Dynasty League 1 QB 2 RB 2 WR 1 WR/RB 1 TE 1 TE/WR 1 K 2 LB 2 DL 2 CB 2 S
QB: Tom Brady, Christian Ponder, Tim Tebow
RB: M. Ingram, J. Stewart, B. Wells, Brandon Boldon, William Powell, Bilal Powel, Andre Brown
WR: M. Williams (TB), D. Bryant, Stephen Hill, Alshon Jeffery, Josh Gordon, Greg Little, Aldrick Robinson
TE: Coby Fleener, Dustin Keller, Ladarious Green, Anthony Fasano
K: Connor Barth, Garrett Hartley
LB: Lance Briggs, Sean Lee, R. Mcclain N. Bowman
DL: M. Williams, C. Campbell,
CB: J. Haden, Alterraun Verner
S: R. Nelson, Harrison Smith

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:22 pm

awarunn wrote:What website do you guys use in which you can have a taxi squad?
MFL
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Paradis
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Paradis » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:37 pm

well in a dynasty league of that size, i'm not sure what the huge benefits would be...

However, just a side note, in my one re-draft with 3 Keepers we use a practice squad (4) that everyone loves.

-can only be rookies
-you get 1 carry over (basically a 4th keeper) from your PS. Obviously that player can't be on your PS in his 2nd season
-once a player activated, he cannot be returned to your PS.