Should The Commissioner "Correct" For This Instance Of Tanking?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.

Should The Commissioner "Correct" For This Instance Of Tanking?

No.
37%
Yes. But only on a proactive basis. Put an anti-tanking rule in place and implement/enforce it going forward.
54%
Yes. Change The Order For The Upcoming Draft.
No votes
Yes. Only Move The Tanking Owner Down In The Draft
No votes
Yes. Dock The Tanking Team A Pick
No votes
Yes. Remove The Tanking Owner From The League.
2%
Yes. Fine The Tanking Owner Dynasty Dollars.
No votes
Yes. Fine The Tanking Owner Actual Money (USD).
2%
Other (Specify Below)
5%

Total votes: 41

turcorox911
Role Player
Role Player

Re: TLDR: Should The Commissioner "Correct" For This Instance Of Tanking?

Postby turcorox911 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:22 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:02 pm Think there's a surprising amount of people in this community who would be well-served just doing the new "Safe Leagues" brought to you by MFL, DLF and Leaguesafe.com.
I guess I should read up on those.

turcorox911
Role Player
Role Player

Postby turcorox911 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:22 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:05 pm This poll needs more options. Seriously, though, it's like Baskin Robbins up there.
This other forum I was on allowed us to go up to 20. We tried ranking the top 50 players in the NBA once. Polls were a mess...

turcorox911
Role Player
Role Player

Postby turcorox911 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:29 pm

So basically, it seems like this forum is of the opinion that, if it isn't in the rules, then it's fair game. Correct?

Or is it more like, if it isn't in the bylaws, then it can't be something that deserves punishment?

turcorox911
Role Player
Role Player

Postby turcorox911 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:27 am

I wonder who voted to remove the tanking owner?

turcorox911
Role Player
Role Player

Postby turcorox911 » Sat May 05, 2018 10:17 pm

Does it matter that the tanking owner acquiesced to the complaints and changed his lineup to not cause any drama?
If the commish changes the draft order, is he creating drama?

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun May 06, 2018 1:12 am

turcorox911 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 10:17 pm Does it matter that the tanking owner acquiesced to the complaints and changed his lineup to not cause any drama?
Man, I'm going to acquiesce to the obvious desire for a response. You have now made 5 posts in a row on a thread you've created. You have not only cluttered the Dynasty Discussion threads recently, but also the Commish threads as well. I'm not trying to be mean, but you guys need to figure it out on your own, IMO. I understand the desire for feedback, but you need to use discretion, and tact once in a while. If I'm coming across as harsh, that is not my intent, just trying to be honest. If this is all the same league, either you need to seriously re-evaluate how seriously you are taking it, or just get out of the league already.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun May 06, 2018 1:29 am

turcorox911 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:29 pm So basically, it seems like this forum is of the opinion that, if it isn't in the rules, then it's fair game. Correct?
Or is it more like, if it isn't in the bylaws, then it can't be something that deserves punishment?
I think it's much more the 2nd point, though I have heard some people argue the 1st.

I've heard/seen league by-laws that include an "integrity of the league" clause. Without a catch-all like that, I can't see any action an owner taking being punished if it isn't specifically mentioned in the rules.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

turcorox911
Role Player
Role Player

Postby turcorox911 » Sun May 06, 2018 4:01 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 1:12 am
turcorox911 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 10:17 pm Does it matter that the tanking owner acquiesced to the complaints and changed his lineup to not cause any drama?
Man, I'm going to acquiesce to the obvious desire for a response. You have now made 5 posts in a row on a thread you've created. You have not only cluttered the Dynasty Discussion threads recently, but also the Commish threads as well. I'm not trying to be mean, but you guys need to figure it out on your own, IMO. I understand the desire for feedback, but you need to use discretion, and tact once in a while. If I'm coming across as harsh, that is not my intent, just trying to be honest. If this is all the same league, either you need to seriously re-evaluate how seriously you are taking it, or just get out of the league already.
Not that harsh at all tbh. Just thought I'd ask.

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Sun May 06, 2018 6:17 am

Bad News Barrett wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:08 pm
WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:43 pm
Bad News Barrett wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:10 pm How devious of a strategy is this?

I had a guys 1st rounder and he was tied for last place, needed a loss to cement him earning 1.01. The guy he was playing week 13 had no quarterback. I traded him Nick Foles for a 2019 6th round pick. He beat the guy by 5 points, and I got Barkley

No collusion. Never talked to the guy, just sent the offer to him
That's ingenious and completely legal in my eyes.
It wasn’t Foles, it was Goff. I still have foles on that team
Even more ingenious would've been if that owner got Goff then left him on the bench and picked up the worst guy off the wire @ QB.

turcorox911
Role Player
Role Player

Postby turcorox911 » Sun May 06, 2018 1:58 pm

cazzie33 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 6:17 am
Bad News Barrett wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:08 pm
WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:43 pm
That's ingenious and completely legal in my eyes.
It wasn’t Foles, it was Goff. I still have foles on that team
Even more ingenious would've been if that owner got Goff then left him on the bench and picked up the worst guy off the wire @ QB.
That would have been funny.

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: TLDR: Should The Commissioner "Correct" For Tanking?

Postby jetsfan5757 » Sun May 06, 2018 3:46 pm

pierson242 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:52 am
BelichekYourSelf wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:43 am You can't punish someone for tanking when their is no rule against it. Especially since it seems like it has happened before with no punishment. If people in the league don't want people to tank than implement the rules now and enforce from this point on.

x2
X3 (at least, only read to this point)

And CHANGE THE RULES GOING FORWARD
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

turcorox911
Role Player
Role Player

Re: TLDR: Should The Commissioner "Correct" For Tanking?

Postby turcorox911 » Mon May 07, 2018 1:11 pm

jetsfan5757 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:46 pm
pierson242 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:52 am
BelichekYourSelf wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:43 am You can't punish someone for tanking when their is no rule against it. Especially since it seems like it has happened before with no punishment. If people in the league don't want people to tank than implement the rules now and enforce from this point on.

x2
X3 (at least, only read to this point)

And CHANGE THE RULES GOING FORWARD
So if a retroactive change is made, is that a sign of a bad commish?

ascherb
Starter
Starter

Postby ascherb » Mon May 07, 2018 1:19 pm

I voted "No," but that was before I carefully read through the options.

The tanking owner asked the commish, and although not in plain English, was essentially given permission by the commish to do what he/she did. The tanking owner should get a talking to about the spirit of tanking, but he/she didn't do anything actually wrong since to this point there are no anti-tanking rules AND he/she ran it by the commissioner.

The commish is who is in the wrong here. You should have strict anti-tanking rules in place, and even if you don't, his response was lazy and did not in any way discourage the tanking owner from tanking.

You should proceed with the current draft order, but implement an anti-tanking rule to be effective from here on out.

My favorite anti-tanking measure is PP (possible points).
Please give us a visit for awesome FF content:

extrapointff.com

turcorox911
Role Player
Role Player

Postby turcorox911 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:48 am

ascherb wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 1:19 pm I voted "No," but that was before I carefully read through the options.

The tanking owner asked the commish, and although not in plain English, was essentially given permission by the commish to do what he/she did. The tanking owner should get a talking to about the spirit of tanking, but he/she didn't do anything actually wrong since to this point there are no anti-tanking rules AND he/she ran it by the commissioner.

The commish is who is in the wrong here. You should have strict anti-tanking rules in place, and even if you don't, his response was lazy and did not in any way discourage the tanking owner from tanking.

You should proceed with the current draft order, but implement an anti-tanking rule to be effective from here on out.

Good analysis. Thanks so much!

turcorox911
Role Player
Role Player

Postby turcorox911 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:36 am

ascherb wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 1:19 pm I voted "No," but that was before I carefully read through the options.

I am curious though, what if the owner did not run it by the commish at all? There still aren't any anti-tanking rules, but if he/she did not run it by the commish, then would it be OK to change the draft order? Just wondering.