Phenom Index 2018 class

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Phenom Index 2018 class

Postby ArrylT » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:39 pm

M-Dub wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:45 am
bsp27 wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:14 pm Guess who isn't in his phenom index? Calvin Ridley
But but but, he’s such a great route runner! :roll:
Are you saying that having good route craft is bad and having unsubstantiated hype is good? :think:
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

James McGhee
Captain
Captain

Postby James McGhee » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:32 pm

Valhalla wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:31 am I’m not a huge Ridley guy. I won’t be the one to pick him because he’ll likely be picked in the first and I have him outside my top 12. But, in his defense of this lacking phenom rating, he was Alabama’s go-to target as a freshman. He just happened to be a 20yo freshman, so less impressive than a 17yo doing it, but still, he broke out in his earliest opportunity. It’s not like he did little for two years and then broke out as a 20yo junior, and these phenom and dominator ratings don’t take that into account (I don’t think).
My question is, why was he a 20 yr old Freshman?
12 team league; 15 man roster; .5 pt PPR;
QB/RB/2 WR/TE/2 FLX/K/DEF

Tom Brady, Cam Newton
Mark Ingram, Kerryon Johnson, Rashaad Penny, Ronald Jones
AJ Green, Keenan Allen, Michael Thomas, Marvin Jones, Golden Tate, Keelan Cole
Rob Gronkowski
Will Lutz
Minnesota Defense

12 team league; 30-man roster; full PPR
QB/2 RB/2 WR/TE/3 FLX

Rodgers, Goff, Carr
Bell, J. Stewart, Foreman, Perine
Hopkins, K. Allen, Cooks, Hurns, Kupp, Lee, C. Samuel, Patterson, Taywan Taylor
Howard, Hooper, S. Anderson

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:56 pm

Maybe he was too dumb to get his GED on time? I wonder the same thing about DJ who was a 24 yo rookie so a 19/20 yo freshman
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:08 pm

The phenom index is not a great stand alone tool. It certainly favors young, productive receivers. It needs to be used in context, like most things.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:06 pm

James McGhee wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:32 pm
Valhalla wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:31 am I’m not a huge Ridley guy. I won’t be the one to pick him because he’ll likely be picked in the first and I have him outside my top 12. But, in his defense of this lacking phenom rating, he was Alabama’s go-to target as a freshman. He just happened to be a 20yo freshman, so less impressive than a 17yo doing it, but still, he broke out in his earliest opportunity. It’s not like he did little for two years and then broke out as a 20yo junior, and these phenom and dominator ratings don’t take that into account (I don’t think).
My question is, why was he a 20 yr old Freshman?
From wiki:
“Ridley attended Monarch High School in Coconut Creek, Florida. He played in only three games his senior year due to Florida age restriction rules, which doesn't allow anyone over the age of 19 and nine months to be eligible.[2] Ridley was rated as a five-star recruit and was considered the number one receiver in his class.[3] He committed to the University of Alabama to play college football.[4] His brother Riley plays for the Georgia Bulldogs”

So, he turned 20 his senior year of high school. Lots of kids turn 19 senior year...quite common for boys as parents often hold them back a year. Either ridley’s parents held him back twice or somewhere along the line he fell behind. It’s not like he took a year off between high school and college.

I’d rather see a guy step up at a younger age, like Cooks, Watkins, Beckham, etc...but Ridley DID step up in his earliest opportunity (as a freshman). He wouldn’t be the first 20yo freshman star in the SEC that went on to have further success. I’m sure there’s more, but at the moment I can only think of AJ Green. According to phenom and phenom alone, AJG was overrated. Phenom/breakout age are stats I like to use, but in the context that they are showing a guy come in and dominate early and not sit on his hands until junior or senior year before showing up. Well...Ridley didn’t exactly sit around. Like all stats, Phenom hating on Ridley needs some context. Besides, there’s plenty of other reasons to hate on him :wink:

James McGhee
Captain
Captain

Postby James McGhee » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:50 pm

1) I may be the only one but I like some brains with my brawn..turning 20 your senior year of HS? bleep is not that hard. And I don't know where you're from but even turning 19 your senior year isn't normal.

2) Dominating at his earliest opportunity he did, when he was already older than some juniors! No thanks. You can't explain away the fact that at his "earliest opportunity" he was more physically mature than a lot of guys across from him. Ever heard the expression men amongst boys? It applies here.
12 team league; 15 man roster; .5 pt PPR;
QB/RB/2 WR/TE/2 FLX/K/DEF

Tom Brady, Cam Newton
Mark Ingram, Kerryon Johnson, Rashaad Penny, Ronald Jones
AJ Green, Keenan Allen, Michael Thomas, Marvin Jones, Golden Tate, Keelan Cole
Rob Gronkowski
Will Lutz
Minnesota Defense

12 team league; 30-man roster; full PPR
QB/2 RB/2 WR/TE/3 FLX

Rodgers, Goff, Carr
Bell, J. Stewart, Foreman, Perine
Hopkins, K. Allen, Cooks, Hurns, Kupp, Lee, C. Samuel, Patterson, Taywan Taylor
Howard, Hooper, S. Anderson

UnsafeAtAnySpd
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UnsafeAtAnySpd » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:51 pm

James McGhee wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:50 pm 1) I may be the only one but I like some brains with my brawn..turning 20 your senior year of HS? bleep is not that hard. And I don't know where you're from but even turning 19 your senior year isn't normal.

2) Dominating at his earliest opportunity he did, when he was already older than some juniors! No thanks. You can't explain away the fact that at his "earliest opportunity" he was more physically mature than a lot of guys across from him. Ever heard the expression men amongst boys? It applies here.
I see your first point, but if he simply didn't start school until 6 (turning 7 that year) for whatever reason, what was he supposed to do? I don't think randomly skipping a grade level later on is that common.