General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreakGuru
Starter
Starter

Re: Josh Allen

Postby FantasyFreakGuru » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:38 am

tresskid84 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:00 pm
maxhyde wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:33 pm
Servo wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:42 am As someone who was and is very skeptical of Allen, there's no question that rushing is what's made him so far. Before his injury:

1. He wasn't rushing that often
2. And frankly outside of Minnestoa, didn't look great...which Darnold and Rosen had their fair share of too

We can talk about his situation as much as we want but Allen as a passer is what we've all known he is.

He'll be an intriguing case to follow but rushing has really saved him and potentially turned him into a viable fantasy option.
Being a laser accurate passer isn't really completely necessary in every offense. BUF wants to play good D and run the ball while occasionally hit a big play here and there. Allen can make that happen. He isn't a "rushing" QB but a QB that will run when he sees an opportunity. I don't think he is a West Coast or quick passing game QB because he really isn't a pure thrower but a terrific athlete with QB smarts and a gigantic arm. QB's that are more gunslinger than surgeon are becoming more rare but they certainly can be successful in the NFL and Allen showed he has the ability to keep a team void of much offensive talent in games at the very least.

Also he is a much better passer than Lamar Jackson and your comparison to Baker/Rosen/Darnold isn't really fair without including the other rookie QB. I mean those 3 are much more pure passers so its kinda like saying Mixon sucks because he isn't as good as McCaffery. They are just different types of QB...more than one type can be successful
This just isn't true at all. Not only isnt he much better than Jackson, I actually think Lamar is marginally better in terms of accuracy, Jackson has plenty of arm (though obviously not as strong as Allen) and when I watch them, I see Lamar making reads off his primary receivers much more than Allen. Allen is, in fact, exactly what the typical running qb is. All too often, he makes his first read to his primary target and then looks to run (as evidence by him leading the lead in the percentage of his drop backs that resulted in scrambles).

Key word. Scrambles, not designated runs. He's a playmaker, with no playmakers around him. He's a poor mans Cam Newton. His accuracy isnt much of a concern as long as he's in the correct system. Give him some weapons, and watch out.
12 team league (Year One) Updated Week 14 2018 Season
DYNASTY GIANTS - 1pt PPR League Qb, Rb, Rb, Wr, Wr, Te, Flex (WR/RB/TE) K, D
Team Name: Keep It Green

QB-Cam Newton, Marcus Mariota
RB- Christian McCaffrey, Aaron Jones, Tarik Cohen, Adrian Peterson, Peyton Barber
WR- Keenan Allen, Tyreek Hill, Doug Baldwin, Nelson Agholor, Marvin Jones, Dede Westbrook, John Brown, Taywan Taylor
TE-Austin Hooper, Jimmy Graham, Ian Thomas
K&DEF- Matchup Stream Weekly
2019 pick Early 2nd, Late 2nd, Late 3rd, Late 4th
------------------------------------

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:16 am

Servo wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:42 am As someone who was and is very skeptical of Allen, there's no question that rushing is what's made him so far. Before his injury:

1. He wasn't rushing that often
2. And frankly outside of Minnestoa, didn't look great...which Darnold and Rosen had their fair share of too

We can talk about his situation as much as we want but Allen as a passer is what we've all known he is.

He'll be an intriguing case to follow but rushing has really saved him and potentially turned him into a viable fantasy option.
Being a laser accurate passer isn't really completely necessary in every offense. BUF wants to play good D and run the ball while occasionally hit a big play here and there. Allen can make that happen. He isn't a "rushing" QB but a QB that will run when he sees an opportunity. I don't think he is a West Coast or quick passing game QB because he really isn't a pure thrower but a terrific athlete with QB smarts and a gigantic arm. QB's that are more gunslinger than surgeon are becoming more rare but they certainly can be successful in the NFL and Allen showed he has the ability to keep a team void of much offensive talent in games at the very least.

Also he is a much better passer than Lamar Jackson and your comparison to Baker/Rosen/Darnold isn't really fair without including the other rookie QB. I mean those 3 are much more pure passers so its kinda like saying Mixon sucks because he isn't as good as McCaffery. They are just different types of QB...more than one type can be successful
This just isn't true at all. Not only isnt he much better than Jackson, I actually think Lamar is marginally better in terms of accuracy, Jackson has plenty of arm (though obviously not as strong as Allen) and when I watch them, I see Lamar making reads off his primary receivers much more than Allen. Allen is, in fact, exactly what the typical running qb is. All too often, he makes his first read to his primary target and then looks to run (as evidence by him leading the lead in the percentage of his drop backs that resulted in scrambles).
This is an opinion not a fact so true or not is in the eyes of the viewer
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:40 am

I see many similarities between Jackson and Allen. Both have room for improvement. L.Jackson was very much exposed and the jury is out as to whether he will be able to adjust moving forward. Allen as a great deal of improvement that needs to take place with his passing. I'm giving Allen more of a pass here as I see him surrounded by less talent.

Some are saying that the Bills team overall was better this year than last year with Taylor took them to the playoffs. I'd have to disagree there. L.McCoy wasn't near the runner he was, the wr options & TE options were / are one of the very worst out of 32 NFL teams.

I chuckle a bit at those that are very quick to label a 21-22 year old a bust. I've had a gut feeling about J.Allen from early on and I still believe he will be very fantasy viable moving forward. I didn't think when he was drafted that he'd even be getting the playing time he did. I felt he was a bit of a project that would benefit from NFL coaching. Well, I still see a lot of room for improvement and his production with his legs was an unexpected surprise. I believe this gives him a reasonably high floor with room for passing production improvement.

I'm not down on L.Jackson and I am a fan of his athleticism, but, if you saw that game the other day, you saw a big red flag and plenty of reason for worry.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:47 am

It will be interesting to re-read this thread in a few years.

Allen's ceiling is so high the lights look like stars.

1) He has ball velocity that is the highest ever recorded
2) He reads defenses already like vet QB.
3) He runs better than advertised because his deep ball arm strength forces DB's to turn and run and he reads LB's very well.
4) His footwork is improving and his touch is much better than already than it was when drafted.

The single most important trait this player has is he is showing the heart of lion. This kid reminds me a Dak with his will to win games.

Allen won 5 games this season with weak skill players and 3 of those were 4th quarter game winning drives. I get many want to bash his accuracy but Allen is developing ahead of schedule and should get much better.

I get the comments he is a poor man's cam Newton but Allen's ceiling is quite a bit higher. My take is within a few years he won't be compared to others but others may actually be compared to him.

Allen is already one of the most exciting players to watch play the game.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

tresskid84
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tresskid84 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:48 pm

maxhyde wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:16 am

I can provide stats to back my statement up, but I know I get yelled at when I do in a Josh Allen thread.
2021-Orphan Rebuild, 12tm PPR, SF, 1.75 TE Prem
2 SF, 8 Flex

QB: Mayfield, Z Wilson, D Jones, Heinicke, Rudolph, Foles
RB: Herbert, Felton, Evans, Nwangwu, Calais
WR: D Smith, Waddle, Chark, J Palmer, D P-J, Raymond, Washington, Jauan, Darden, Fehoko, Smith-Marsette, C Johnson, Proche, Shi Smith, A Tate, ESB, JJAW
TE: O'Shaughnessy, Moreau, Granson, Tyree J, Hu Bryant, Hopkins, Fortson
2022 Picks: 1.01, 1.04, 1.11, 2.01, 2.09, and 3.02
2023 Picks: six 1sts, my 2nd

2021-Orphan Rebuild, 16tm PPR, SF, 1.5pr TE, DEVY:
1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 SF, 3 Flex
Draft is rookies and devy (only 2022 NFL eligible)

QB: Tua, Fields, Brissett, Foles, Purdy(D), T Morgan(D)
RB: Etienne, Gainwell, Homer, T Jones, J Hill, Ragas, Sargent, Calais, Funk,
WR: Cephus, Nico, J Palmer, Gage, Quez, P Williams, JJAW, Strachan, Proche, Lil'Jordan, Shi Smith, Fryfogle(D)
TE: Moreau, Maxx, H Long, RSJ, Tyree J
2022 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.12, 3.02, 3.07, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12, 3.15, 4.01, 4.02, 4.05, 4.07, 4.12, 4.15

tresskid84
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tresskid84 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:01 pm

Ice wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:47 am It will be interesting to re-read this thread in a few years.

Allen's ceiling is so high the lights look like stars.

1) He has ball velocity that is the highest ever recorded
2) He reads defenses already like vet QB.
3) He runs better than advertised because his deep ball arm strength forces DB's to turn and run and he reads LB's very well.
4) His footwork is improving and his touch is much better than already than it was when drafted.

The single most important trait this player has is he is showing the heart of lion. This kid reminds me a Dak with his will to win games.

Allen won 5 games this season with weak skill players and 3 of those were 4th quarter game winning drives. I get many want to bash his accuracy but Allen is developing ahead of schedule and should get much better.

I get the comments he is a poor man's cam Newton but Allen's ceiling is quite a bit higher. My take is within a few years he won't be compared to others but others may actually be compared to him.

Allen is already one of the most exciting players to watch play the game.
You and I watched must have been watching different Josh Allens
2 SF, 8 Flex

WR: D Smith, Waddle, Chark, J Palmer, D P-J, Raymond, Washington, Jauan, Darden, Fehoko, Smith-Marsette, C Johnson, Proche, Shi Smith, A Tate, ESB, JJAW

WR: Cephus, Nico, J Palmer, Gage, Quez, P Williams, JJAW, Strachan, Proche, Lil'Jordan, Shi Smith, Fryfogle(D)
2022 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.12, 3.02, 3.07, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12, 3.15, 4.01, 4.02, 4.05, 4.07, 4.12, 4.15

XxBallMeBlazerxX
Rookie
Rookie

Postby XxBallMeBlazerxX » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:03 pm

tresskid84 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:48 pm

I can provide stats to back my statement up, but I know I get yelled at when I do in a Josh Allen thread.
I smell hater. But seriously dude, you have to admit, Allen has impressed and if he continues to grow he is going to be the best qb from that draft.

tresskid84
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tresskid84 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:13 pm

XxBallMeBlazerxX wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:03 pm
I smell hater. But seriously dude, you have to admit, Allen has impressed and if he continues to grow he is going to be the best qb from that draft.
I don't (Baker is and will be the best qb from this class, and it isnt and wont be close) . . . I actually have been rooting for Josh Allen to succeed, but I am also a realist. He did a great job running. He did not do a great job reading defenses at a pro football level or throwing the ball accurately.

Fun Stat: Of QBs with at least 100 pass attempts this year, he had the worst acc% in the league (accounting for things like drops, throw aways, etc), including Blaine Gabbert.
2 SF, 8 Flex

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:43 pm

Give Allen an NFL oline and playmakers at WR or TE and lets see where he is next year. Way too early to write off as simply an inaccurate runner.
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

tresskid84
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tresskid84 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:56 pm

DJB wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:43 pm Give Allen an NFL oline and playmakers at WR or TE and lets see where he is next year. Way too early to write off as simply an inaccurate runner.
I hope youre right, but there has been zero evidence of him being anything but that in his 3 years as a starting college/NFL qb. His accuracy drastically improving would be a huge outlier based on history, but maybe he is that outlier. I am putting my money elsewhere though and will happily come on here and eat crow if he ever proves me wrong more than a few cherry picked games here and there.
2 SF, 8 Flex

XxBallMeBlazerxX
Rookie
Rookie

Postby XxBallMeBlazerxX » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:58 pm

tresskid84 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:13 pm
XxBallMeBlazerxX wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:03 pm

I don't (Baker is and will be the best qb from this class, and it isnt and wont be close) . . . I actually have been rooting for Josh Allen to succeed, but I am also a realist. He did a great job running. He did not do a great job reading defenses at a pro football level or throwing the ball accurately.

Fun Stat: Of QBs with at least 100 pass attempts this year, he had the worst acc% in the league (accounting for things like drops, throw aways, etc), including Blaine Gabbert.
Baker has been garbage against teams that have adequate defenses.

tresskid84
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tresskid84 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:04 pm

FantasyFreakGuru wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:38 am

Key word. Scrambles, not designated runs. He's a playmaker, with no playmakers around him. He's a poor mans Cam Newton. His accuracy isnt much of a concern as long as he's in the correct system. Give him some weapons, and watch out.
On a per snap basis, only LJax and Cam had more designed runs called for them, so its not like they weren't calling designed runs for him.
2 SF, 8 Flex

RCS
Role Player
Role Player

Postby RCS » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:32 pm

I was just offered Josh Allen for Luke Kuechly in my 1 qb league.

I like Allen more than most but no thanks.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:48 am

Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:06 pm

ArrylT wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:48 am https://buffalonews.com/2019/01/21/josh ... ap-counts/

Positive Allen News?
Very good news for him. I stated earlier he was really reading defenses like a vet the last several games of the season. He was making quick and correct decisions which is exactly what is needed and expected. Not easy for a first year player especially one with limited experience. The fact the Bills were running a lot of empty sets and he produced shows he is getting better in Practice and Games.

All arrows are pointing up for Allen in the developmental department.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts