Josh Allen - Time to Believe!

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jfever
Legend
Legend

Re: Josh Allen

Postby Jfever » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:58 pm

There is danger in taking too much from small sample sizes. I do like Josh Allen and I do think he has a very high potential ceiling. However, historically, he isn't that accurate. He can run, he does have a strong arm. I'm betting that, with time and some NFL experience + coaching, he can tweak his mechanics to slightly improve his accuracy struggles of the past. Also, with time, experience, and NFL coaching, I think his decision making skills can / will improve. He is loaded with raw talent and I'm confident that those that labeled him too early, made a mistake.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:32 pm

Ya he's definitely far from a finished product or a sure thing long-term, I just really like what I have seen so far and think he has definitely exceeded expectations for how he would be performing at this point in his career.

petebusey
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby petebusey » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:57 pm

JFever wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:58 pm There is danger in taking too much from small sample sizes. I do like Josh Allen and I do think he has a very high potential ceiling. However, historically, he isn't that accurate. He can run, he does have a strong arm. I'm betting that, with time and some NFL experience + coaching, he can tweak his mechanics to slightly improve his accuracy struggles of the past. Also, with time, experience, and NFL coaching, I think his decision making skills can / will improve. He is loaded with raw talent and I'm confident that those that labeled him too early, made a mistake.
I'm sorry as this has probably been gone over time and time again, but is he really that inaccurate?
Or are people just saying that he is so inaccurate because he had/has such a low completion percentage.

Other things go into completion percentage, such as receiver drops, receiver contested catch %, receiver separation, going through your reads and picking the right receiver to throw to, receivers running the wrong route (or at least at inconsistent depths, rounding off routes, etc), a collapsing pocket, and a game plan that you are comfortable with ...and many more things.

I've heard analysts at different times say when they see him in person he is a accurate thrower of the football both at the combine and in games.
I'm too ashamed of any of my teams to post.

Cgindecent
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Cgindecent » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:19 pm

I dug this up from a reddit post on Josh Allen that I started that I found quite intriguing.

In Cam's MVP season his completion % was 59.8% but he rushed for 636 yards and 10 TDs. Allen has played basically 6.5 games (let's round to 6 for simplicity) and has 254 rushing yards and 4 TDs. Extrapolate that to a full season and it's 677 yards and... 10 TDs.

Completion percentage isnt necessarily the end all be all to be relevant, especially in fantasy. Norv Turner has turned Carolina into a more favorable completion percentage type offense for Cam this year and you can see the benefits it has had.
12 Team .5 PPR (Max roster 2qb-4rb-4wr-2te-2k-2def)
1 QB - 2 WR - 1 RB - 1 TE - 2 FLEX

QB:Nick Foles, Josh Allen
RB: CEH - Chase Edmonds - Miles Sanders - James Robinson
WR: Robby Anderson - Tyreek Hill - Christian Kirk - OBJ - Jamison Crowder
TE: Jordan Akins - Darren Waller
Taxi: - Darrell Henderson - Irv Smith - Rodney Anderson - Daniel Jones - Antonio Gibson - Joe Burrow - Van Jefferson - Jalen Reagor

tresskid84
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tresskid84 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:20 am

petebusey wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:57 pm
JFever wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:58 pm There is danger in taking too much from small sample sizes. I do like Josh Allen and I do think he has a very high potential ceiling. However, historically, he isn't that accurate. He can run, he does have a strong arm. I'm betting that, with time and some NFL experience + coaching, he can tweak his mechanics to slightly improve his accuracy struggles of the past. Also, with time, experience, and NFL coaching, I think his decision making skills can / will improve. He is loaded with raw talent and I'm confident that those that labeled him too early, made a mistake.
I'm sorry as this has probably been gone over time and time again, but is he really that inaccurate?
Or are people just saying that he is so inaccurate because he had/has such a low completion percentage.

Other things go into completion percentage, such as receiver drops, receiver contested catch %, receiver separation, going through your reads and picking the right receiver to throw to, receivers running the wrong route (or at least at inconsistent depths, rounding off routes, etc), a collapsing pocket, and a game plan that you are comfortable with ...and many more things.

I've heard analysts at different times say when they see him in person he is a accurate thrower of the football both at the combine and in games.
Are we doing this again??? His adjusted completion percentage (which accounts for drops) is second worst in the league (only ahead of Tyrod for qualifying players). His completion percentage (and adjusted completion percentage) has consistently been terrible, dating back to college. If you watch his overall body of work on tape (and not just his wow/highlight plays) you will see poor ball placement and overall accuracy. I actually own him in a few leagues, because I agree, he has fantasy upside, but anyone that calls him accurate is being blinded by what they want to see due to his tremendous physical gifts/upside.
2021-Orphan Rebuild, 12tm PPR, SF, 1.75 TE Prem
2 SF, 8 Flex

QB: Mayfield, Z Wilson, D Jones, Heinicke, Rudolph, Foles
RB: Herbert, Felton, Evans, Nwangwu, Calais
WR: D Smith, Waddle, Chark, J Palmer, D P-J, Raymond, Washington, Jauan, Darden, Fehoko, Smith-Marsette, C Johnson, Proche, Shi Smith, A Tate, ESB, JJAW
TE: O'Shaughnessy, Moreau, Granson, Tyree J, Hu Bryant, Hopkins, Fortson
2022 Picks: 1.01, 1.04, 1.11, 2.01, 2.09, and 3.02
2023 Picks: six 1sts, my 2nd

2021-Orphan Rebuild, 16tm PPR, SF, 1.5pr TE, DEVY:
1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 SF, 3 Flex
Draft is rookies and devy (only 2022 NFL eligible)

QB: Tua, Fields, Brissett, Foles, Purdy(D), T Morgan(D)
RB: Etienne, Gainwell, Homer, T Jones, J Hill, Ragas, Sargent, Calais, Funk,
WR: Cephus, Nico, J Palmer, Gage, Quez, P Williams, JJAW, Strachan, Proche, Lil'Jordan, Shi Smith, Fryfogle(D)
TE: Moreau, Maxx, H Long, RSJ, Tyree J
2022 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.12, 3.02, 3.07, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12, 3.15, 4.01, 4.02, 4.05, 4.07, 4.12, 4.15

osubuckeyeman
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby osubuckeyeman » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:19 pm

He has shown what he can do in fantasy the last 2 weeks. He has outplayed his draft position. The ceiling on Allen is only limited by the offense evolving after they draft weapons for him but still for fantasy you got your value for him and he has real potential to be a QB1.

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:57 pm

His rushing gives him a really nice floor now. His TOs are not too bad, I assume the one at the end of the first half was a hail Mary or similar. Accuracy should not hurt fantasy points in most leagues. I think the run totals were unexpected even as a ceiling, though he is known to be athletic. I just never saw many say they anticipated a fair amount of rushing yards/scores. That will regress of course, especially with adding receiving weapons and wanting to keep him healthy.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:13 pm

Give this guy some competent WR and TE and we could be looking at a top 12 fantasy QB
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

failblazer
All Pro
All Pro

Postby failblazer » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:28 am

Am I crazy or is Allen a sell high in the offseason if he finishes his rookie year strong?
16 Team PPR (11th Year Dynasty - Former 2 Time Champion)
P. Mahomes, Z. Wilson
C. McCaffrey, N. Harris, C. Hubbard
D. Hopkins, A. Cooper, C. Kupp, D. Johnson, G. Davis, D. Mims, J. Palmer
D. Waller, C. Kmet, B. Jordan

C. Young, R. Quinn
D. Leonard, M. Milano, C. Mosely, B. Okereke, J. Davis
J. Simmons, J. Fuller

Picks - 1.01, 2.12, 3.01, 3.15, 4.14

16 Team PPR (10th Year Dynasty - Reigning 5 Time Champion)
A. Rodgers, J. Fields
C. McCaffrey, D. Henry, J. Dobbins, M. Davis
D. Hopkins, D. Adams, C. Kupp, M. Jones, M. Valdes-Scantling, A. Green, T. Johnson, Dy. Brown, G. Pickens, J. Tolbert,
N. Fant, A. Okwugbunam, J. Harris
J. Elliott

D. Lawrence, R. Quinn, T. Hendrickson
R. Smith, B. Okereke, L. Wilson, J. Davis, D. Tranquil, B. Asamoah
J. Simmons, W. Harris

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:36 am

failblazer wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:28 am Am I crazy or is Allen a sell high in the offseason if he finishes his rookie year strong?
Depends on what your definition on "high" is and the league format. 1QB leagues I doubt he fetches you much still and you will be better off just keeping him and hoping he continues his development and the Bills get him more help on the O-line and more weapons to work with. SF and especially 2QB though you can make a strong case for him being worth the #1 overall rookie pick this year, it's a very weak QB class and there's nothing close to a consensus top prospect in this years draft.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:29 am

Not here to nitpick, he's been really good and has pumped life into that team but he missed a wide open WR in the endzone. Wide open.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:31 am

I traded him for a first and 2 seconds in a SF, still not sure how I feel about it, but I don't trust the Bills. 135 rushing yards after 99? This can't be expected weekly, but wow.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

tresskid84
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tresskid84 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:46 am

Space Cowboy wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:29 am Not here to nitpick, he's been really good and has pumped life into that team but he missed a wide open WR in the endzone. Wide open.
This isn't the week I am going to nitpick him for that throw. Definitely looked like it came out of his hand wrong, but Clay should have gotten to that ball. Allen was legit this week.
2021-Orphan Rebuild, 12tm PPR, SF, 1.75 TE Prem
2 SF, 8 Flex

QB: Mayfield, Z Wilson, D Jones, Heinicke, Rudolph, Foles
RB: Herbert, Felton, Evans, Nwangwu, Calais
WR: D Smith, Waddle, Chark, J Palmer, D P-J, Raymond, Washington, Jauan, Darden, Fehoko, Smith-Marsette, C Johnson, Proche, Shi Smith, A Tate, ESB, JJAW
TE: O'Shaughnessy, Moreau, Granson, Tyree J, Hu Bryant, Hopkins, Fortson
2022 Picks: 1.01, 1.04, 1.11, 2.01, 2.09, and 3.02
2023 Picks: six 1sts, my 2nd

2021-Orphan Rebuild, 16tm PPR, SF, 1.5pr TE, DEVY:
1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 SF, 3 Flex
Draft is rookies and devy (only 2022 NFL eligible)

QB: Tua, Fields, Brissett, Foles, Purdy(D), T Morgan(D)
RB: Etienne, Gainwell, Homer, T Jones, J Hill, Ragas, Sargent, Calais, Funk,
WR: Cephus, Nico, J Palmer, Gage, Quez, P Williams, JJAW, Strachan, Proche, Lil'Jordan, Shi Smith, Fryfogle(D)
TE: Moreau, Maxx, H Long, RSJ, Tyree J
2022 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.12, 3.02, 3.07, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12, 3.15, 4.01, 4.02, 4.05, 4.07, 4.12, 4.15

Life of Pablo
Starter
Starter

Postby Life of Pablo » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:00 pm

Arrgh... picked up Allen in our shallow league last week... then had to drop him so I could win the Ware sweepstakes. In hindsight I probably should've just given up on D'Onta Foreman and cut ties with him instead. In the 2% chance Allen will still be available Wednesday morning, I may do just that.
10-team standard, 18-man rosters (plus K/D + 1 IR + 2 TAXI)
1QB | 2RB | 2WR | 1TE | 1FLEX
2021: 8-6, 5th (AP: 76-50 / 60.3%, 3rd) ||| Runner-up
2022: 5-1, 2nd (AP: 47-7 / 87.0%, 1st)

QB: Hurts, Russ, Carr
RB: Chubb, Pierce, Swift, JRob, D'Ernest, Ford
WR: Diggs, Evans, GDavis, Nuk, Keenan, Hollywood, Mooney, CSamuel, Doubs
TE: Kelce, Dulcich, Fant
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
2024 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:58 pm

tresskid84 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:46 am
Space Cowboy wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:29 am Not here to nitpick, he's been really good and has pumped life into that team but he missed a wide open WR in the endzone. Wide open.
This isn't the week I am going to nitpick him for that throw. Definitely looked like it came out of his hand wrong, but Clay should have gotten to that ball. Allen was legit this week.
He needs to run less, they all think they're tougher than nails until the real hits come. (RGIII, Luck, Rodgers....) But yes he has looked very good.