Josh Allen - Time to Believe!

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Josh Allen

Postby DJB » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:48 pm

Loved the talent he showed in game 1 of ghe pre season. Showed off his elite arm strength as well as his Big Ben esque ability to shed defenders. Did he have a bad throw? Yeah maybe one lf two. But he also had two WR drops and the one deep bomb should have been caught. Playing with bums does that.

I think of all the rookie WR he was at minimum the 2nd best behind Darnold
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

Artair
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Artair » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:39 pm

Ice wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:01 am Matthew Stafford 57.1 % college completion percentage
Brett Favre 52.4% college completion percentage.
Stafford improved to 61% his final season in college, tho. Allen hasn't sniffed 60% since elementary school

Favre was a super duper anomaly. He went as a late 2nd round pick because it was known he was a project. You take 100 quarterbacks with Favre's college statistics, and 99 of them won't develop into a legit starting NFL QB
Ice wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:58 pm Carson Wentz 6'5 237
Josh Allen 6'5" 223
Jarod Goff 6'4 223
Tom Brady 6'4" 225
What about the army of busts and projects that never became anything in that height-weight range? also Brady was like 210 his first season in the NFL, fun fact

Height and weight don't make a good QB, it only sets a ceiling (maybe). Doesn't do anything to fill out the rest of the requirements, or to raise the floor
Ice wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:58 pm I would call Allen Prototype size these days.
It's more the dream than the truth. An ideal the NFL has been chasing ever since Marino and has resulted in bust after bust after bust between the rare hits. In reality, Rodgers is 6'2, Watson's 6'2, Wilson's 5'11, Brees is 6'0. and that's just here in 2018

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:18 am

Artair wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:39 pm
Ice wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:01 am Matthew Stafford 57.1 % college completion percentage
Brett Favre 52.4% college completion percentage.
Stafford improved to 61% his final season in college, tho. Allen hasn't sniffed 60% since elementary school

Favre was a super duper anomaly. He went as a late 2nd round pick because it was known he was a project. You take 100 quarterbacks with Favre's college statistics, and 99 of them won't develop into a legit starting NFL QB
Ice wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:58 pm Carson Wentz 6'5 237
Josh Allen 6'5" 223
Jarod Goff 6'4 223
Tom Brady 6'4" 225
What about the army of busts and projects that never became anything in that height-weight range? also Brady was like 210 his first season in the NFL, fun fact

Height and weight don't make a good QB, it only sets a ceiling (maybe). Doesn't do anything to fill out the rest of the requirements, or to raise the floor
Ice wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:58 pm I would call Allen Prototype size these days.
It's more the dream than the truth. An ideal the NFL has been chasing ever since Marino and has resulted in bust after bust after bust between the rare hits. In reality, Rodgers is 6'2, Watson's 6'2, Wilson's 5'11, Brees is 6'0. and that's just here in 2018
Wow!

Never said you had to be tall to be good. The very definition of Protoype is a model. It doesn't mean it has to be that way.

Of course QB's Bust and while accuracy is a factor, QB's bust due to decision making more often than accuracy. Cam Newton as an example has a career completion percentage of 58.5%

You can hate on Allen due to one stat all you like but if you can't see his talent upside I would suggest you go back and evaluate. Obviously, there are no guarantees with any QB coming from college and he could bust but in reality Allen has a lot skill very hard to or can't teach. Size; Check, Mobility: Check: Arm Angles; Check, Release Point: Check, Decisiion Making in Pro style offense: check, not mention one of the strongest arms we have ever seen in the history of the NFL to throw in one of the most difficult cities in the country in winter.

The real question is will he develop and learn. Based on the fact he actually played in an NFL West coast type system and there is a ton of tape showing an ability to actually read defenses it is pretty easy to see why he went High in this draft.

Only time will tell if he develops but the tools are there to excel at the NFL level.

Perhaps I should have mentioned John Elway had a career completion percentage of 56.9 but that my have been too much!
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

ebsteelers
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ebsteelers » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:19 am

i think comparing Favre, and Elway to any qbs now based on completion percentage could be an error.
Sammy baugh, terry brashaw, otto graham were all low to mid 50s passers. Marino was under 60%, its a different game then it was 10 20 30 years ago. a lot can go into a bad completion % that we don't see in a box score.

I don't have any shares of Allen, but I think he will be fine if the team gives him the coaching and the time to fix some of his flaws.

I have a feeling Drew Lock is going to be hearing a lot of the same that Allen is hearing this year.

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:11 pm

Named Bills starter for 3rd pre season game. Good indication hes going to start the season!

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:17 pm

DJB wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:11 pm Named Bills starter for 3rd pre season game. Good indication hes going to start the season!
Maybe, however they've seemingly had no rhyme or reason to the order in which the QB's have started this preseason... seem to be rotating them evenly rather than based on merit. But, i'm sure they are dying to start Allen week 1.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:28 pm

DJB wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:11 pm Named Bills starter for 3rd pre season game. Good indication hes going to start the season!
I don't think for him, that is necessarily a good thing. I have liked what I have seen from Allen, but I think they should keep him on the bench to start the year at the very least.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:30 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:28 pm
I don't think for him, that is necessarily a good thing. I have liked what I have seen from Allen, but I think they should keep him on the bench to start the year at the very least.
@ Baltimore week 1. They'd be better off letting peterman rack up INTs for a few weeks then let Allen be the pressure free savior.

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:50 pm

I agree with both of you. Id like to see Peterman go tje first few games which are quite tough then go allen .

JoshGordonsDealer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby JoshGordonsDealer » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:19 pm

Allen has far exceeded my expectations in limited time. I'm excited/interested to see him play with and against the 1s this weekend.

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:24 am

JoshGordonsDealer wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:19 pm Allen has far exceeded my expectations in limited time. I'm excited/interested to see him play with and against the 1s this weekend.
THATS MY BOY!!!! GET THESE ALLEN HATERS THE HELL OUTTA HERE
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:00 pm

They found a new guy to hate in RoJo. ;)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

notweswelker
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby notweswelker » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:20 am

Pre-NFL draft I was exceedingly low on Allen, I drafted him in the 3rd round of a SF just because I literally couldn't let him fall further, but I hated getting him.
After watching him this summer I have come away impressed. He's clearly raw, but seeing him already making strides is what changed my opinion of him. A lot of 'raw' players come in and barely refine their play, to see Allen already refining in his rookie off-season is one of the brightest signs for me.

smallxl
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby smallxl » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:30 am

0LDMAN wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:20 am Pre-NFL draft I was exceedingly low on Allen, I drafted him in the 3rd round of a SF just because I literally couldn't let him fall further, but I hated getting him.
After watching him this summer I have come away impressed. He's clearly raw, but seeing him already making strides is what changed my opinion of him. A lot of 'raw' players come in and barely refine their play, to see Allen already refining in his rookie off-season is one of the brightest signs for me.
Agree with this. He has looked good in spots and if I were a bills fan I'd be somewhat excited. Could end up a great QB class
22-man, 12-team, 1 pt-PPR; Start 1-2RB; 3-4 WR; 1-2 TE

TEAM 1
QB: Prescott, Foles
RB: Barkley, P Barber, Duke, Gio Bernard, Gus, C Thompson, Breida, Ekeler
WR: A Cooper, Cooks, Lockett, C. Davis, Crowder, Chark, Stills
TE: OJ Howard

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:27 am

I have posts on reddit that show that I've been high on this kid since I saw him play 2-3 years ago. I made a lot of declarations about his greatness, but the problem is that I'm not a great QB evaluator so when I read all these other people knocking him down, I kind of backed down. I've always loved his poise and strength. I think he's a great leader too. Plus, he's a genuinely nice guy. I really want to see this kid succeed.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134