Cowboys have officially parted ways with Dez Bryant

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Cowboys have officially parted ways with Dez Bryant

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:12 pm

skip wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:56 am
ArrylT wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:39 am Why do Hilton and Jeffery get passes but Bryant doesnt - when they are all similar in age and had similar production in 2017?
Because Dez's production concerns run back across 3 seasons. Not so with the others (or with DT). I mentioned earlier that I'd like this thread not to turn into another "who's to blame" thread. Once Dez finally signs, I'm interested to see the reactions here and then ultimately the results after the 2018 season.
That’s an over simplification ... 2015 Romo missed 12 (really 14) games with broken collarbones & Dallas had no quality backup. Plus Dez missed 7 games.

In 2016, Dez missed 3 games & struggled with high ankle sprain, but was on a WR1 trajectory.

2017 is the only year where I would say it’s a clear cut (non-injury) dip in production ... plus, regardless of who is to blame, it’s clear Dez & Dak just have never had chemistry.

So I don’t think it’s a slam dunk that Dez is a slam dunk WR1, but I also don’t think he’s washed up.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:34 pm

While I wouldn't be excited, I'd be alright with Dez in Baltimore. I'm somewhat convinced that a major part of the issue is Dak's lack of velocity on his throws combined with Dez's lack of separation. I think Flacco would solve the issue of velocity (though his own questionable accuracy may offset that.) Combine that with the fact that Crabtree would demand more coverage than anything Dallas is throwing out there, and I don't think it's a terrible situation. Better than Buffalo.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:02 am

Interesting tidbits about Dez- http://www.espn.com/blog/nfceast/post/_ ... and-future

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas ... dez-bryant
Money was the spark, but the decision on Bryant quickly evolved into where he stands as a player, how he approaches his job and what's important to him. Could the receiver's temperament allow him to handle a pay cut, or would his hurt and resentment seep into the locker room and impact his interactions with coaches and teammates?
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas ... -nfl-draft
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

gopackgo
Role Player
Role Player

Postby gopackgo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:37 am

Well looks like he won't be going to GB...
Bryant was asked about several other teams as well. The three-time Pro Bowler said it "wouldn't seem right" to join forces with Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers, noting that there is "too much history." - ESPN
10 Team non-SF PPR
QB - FIELDS
RB - BIJAN Javonte DVaughn
RB - GIBBS JCook
RB/WR - JT
WR - LONDON Pittman QJ Elijah Nico Tank RWoods MWilson Palmer DParker McKenzie
WR - JSN Flowers Doubs Reed Gallup VJefferson Thornton TMarshall MHollins JLandry
WR/TE - RIDLEY
TE - McBRIDE Fant Otton Hill Schoonmaker Washington
'24 Picks: 1,1,2,2,2,3,3,3,4,4,5,5
'25 Picks: 1,2,2,3,4,5

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:36 am

gopackgo wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:37 am Well looks like he won't be going to GB...
Bryant was asked about several other teams as well. The three-time Pro Bowler said it "wouldn't seem right" to join forces with Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers, noting that there is "too much history." - ESPN
That is of course unless they're the team willing to pay him the most.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:53 am

Yet he loves the idea of going to the Giants apparently..
No history there.

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:58 am

Phaded wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:53 am Yet he loves the idea of going to the Giants apparently..
No history there.
Spite is a powerful driver. We wouldn't have Lamborghinis if the owner of Ferrari didn't make fun of a tractor builder.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:08 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:02 am Interesting tidbits about Dez- http://www.espn.com/blog/nfceast/post/_ ... and-future

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas ... dez-bryant
Money was the spark, but the decision on Bryant quickly evolved into where he stands as a player, how he approaches his job and what's important to him. Could the receiver's temperament allow him to handle a pay cut, or would his hurt and resentment seep into the locker room and impact his interactions with coaches and teammates?
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas ... -nfl-draft

The more I read and think about it, I think they made the right decision, maybe not in the short term but let’s face it, this Cowboys team is going to rely on the o-line and Zeke so they are better off with not having so much money tied up at the WR position. Cole Beasley could be a cap casualty next offseason, depending on how the rookie WR(s) come along.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:21 am

I agree with you that perhaps in the long run it was a decent decision. I'm not of the mindset that Dak is an elite passer however. I think putting their eggs in the ground game is important. They need help on defense and they need to maintain the integrity of their O-line strength. If Zeke goes down or misses time for any reason, they are in trouble. They just cut one of their best run after the catch / red zone weapons. J. Witten in old, Dak doesn't throw with anticipation and he isn't super accurate. I think the Cowboys just got a bit weaker in the short term and it puts more pressure on them to not miss on their early draft picks. I'm not invested in Dez heavily but part of me hopes he goes to a favorable situation and sticks it to Jerry Jones. I think he is a classic d-bag in some respects.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:11 am

With the way the Cowboys are heading - he doesn't need to be an elite passer. If he can revert to his rookie year self where he managed the game and limited turnovers, the team can build around the run game and the defense.

I mean - the Cowboys went 13-3 recently (2016) - and Dez did not exactly play a factor.

Certain team makeups do not "need" that elite WR1 - and the way the Cowboys are built, they do not need that.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:36 am

Until they do. Come play off time.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Tvols
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tvols » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:46 am

The cowboys will need that goto guy wr who ever it is.. not on roster for sure.. Back when they were winning championships they had Emmit but also had Troy/Michael.. takes a full rounded team to win it all..
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Team 2 recent rod 16 team SF/TEP(2pt PPR) 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-5 wrs and 1-2 TE full IDP.
QB A rod, M willis and H Hooker
rb not squat T Bigsby, Chris R, Z evans. J kelly, C patterson, and J mcluaghlin.
WRs chase, J Addison, T McLaurin, C ridgley , A Losivas, M hollins
TE Kelce, D Belligner, T Conklin

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:57 am

The Cowboys also had a top 5 defense in points allowed in all 3 years in the 90s they won the Super Bowl.
Yeah - it's easy to look at the offense because they are the shiny and sexy players to look at, but the defense played a huge part.
Like you said - it takes the team, not a highly paid WR.

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:17 am

JFever wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:21 am I agree with you that perhaps in the long run it was a decent decision. I'm not of the mindset that Dak is an elite passer however. I think putting their eggs in the ground game is important. They need help on defense and they need to maintain the integrity of their O-line strength. If Zeke goes down or misses time for any reason, they are in trouble. They just cut one of their best run after the catch / red zone weapons. J. Witten in old, Dak doesn't throw with anticipation and he isn't super accurate. I think the Cowboys just got a bit weaker in the short term and it puts more pressure on them to not miss on their early draft picks. I'm not invested in Dez heavily but part of me hopes he goes to a favorable situation and sticks it to Jerry Jones. I think he is a classic d-bag in some respects.
Yeah, definitely hurts the passing game in the short-term, that’s why I thought they would agree to a restructure and then decide next off-season but the only thing that I was thinking after reading that article was that Dez might not be a good locker room guy after taking a pay cut, but who knows. I also agree about Dak, he’s not an elite passer but maybe by not having one guy, who definitely wants the ball and can be so emotional on the sidelines, like Dez, will help in the long run, almost like what the Patriots do, as far spreading the ball around. We’ll see, should be interesting.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:22 am

Their running game will be their strength and eventually their down fall. A shut down run defense will smother them and shut them out when it counts. Recipe for a first round exit imo. That is IF Zeke stays healthy. If he misses time, they won't make the playoffs. Also, I think their current Defense needs some help and is no where near a top 3 NFL Defense. I agree that a over paid wr isn't the answer and that a well rounded team is the answer. I don't think they have a well rounded team and it just got less well rounded. The pressure is on the draft.