1.05 Who Do You Got?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.

Who do you take at 1.05 (see factors in OP)

Ronald Jones
18%
Rashaad Penny
24%
DJ Moore
18%
Cortland Sutton
27%
One of the QBs
1%
Other
11%

Total votes: 99

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1.05 Who Do You Got?

Postby jcc6fd » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:38 pm

Okay so this is a little bit selfish since I own the 1.05 in my main league, but I think it's a common enough scenario that others could benefit. Here are the factors at play:
1. You're picking 5th overall
2. The top four Rbs (Barkley, Guice, Chubb, Michael) are all off the board
3. You are NOT playing in a superflex or 2Qb league (i.e. you can only start 1 QB).
4. Your biggest need is RB, but you're not going to reach at a position of need if there's an obviously better player available

That last factor is key and really the overall question. Is there a player at number 5 overall that is a must draft regardless of position, or is there a muddled tier of 4-5 guys that means you can draft for need?

With that said here are the options as I see them:
1. You go with the best RB available and draft either Ronald Jones or Rashaad Penny. But which one? Penny has the combine measurables and great college production, but some question his level of competition and more importantly his ability to play on 3rd downs. Jones was billed as an "explosive and versatile playmaker," but his metrics don't exactly prove that. Additionally (and I believe this isn't behind the paywall) DLF has Jones as not only their 5th overall RB, but their fifth overall rookie.

2. You can grab whoever you think the best WR is in the draft. Sutton and Moore seem like the leading candidates. Personally I think Moore (minus size) looks like the better shot at fantasy production, but neither seem like they have the floor or ceiling that makes you think you have to take them at 1.05. Obviously Ridley is a candidate for some, but I know the Ridley thread discusses his merits, or lack-there-of, in ad nauseum.

3. A dark horse option is to take the best QB (or whoever you think is the best). I don't like this option (as I'll explain below), but there's reason to think that one or more of the QBs in this draft will return more fantasy value than anyone available at 1.05 or later.

4. You trade the pick. Either moving down for multiple picks or for a another player. I like this option more than number 3 because if you want to pick a QB you should still have options in the late first early 2nd, and even if you just take the last of the top 3-4 QBs available it's really just a crap shoot and you pick up whatever extra value you get in an additional pick(s). This would be preferable per the factors above if either Jones or Penny aren't worth the 1.05 or the WRs aren't a good value there.

So there you have it. I'll start by weighing in and say that I am leaning toward taking Ronald Jones. His size, and measurables give me concerns, but if he lands in a decent situation he could pay immediate dividends. I also see him as the highest ceiling RB left available and some analysts have him ranked inside their top 4 RBs (I don't) so I'm trying to respect the consensus and my team's needs.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

whodunnit
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: 1.05 Who Do You Got?

Postby whodunnit » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:48 pm

I would feel comfortable taking a RB there, (I have Freeman ahead of Penny, Michel and RoJo) but I would also feel good getting Sutton. I'd either trade back a few spots or go with your favorite RB.
Watson Goff Purdy
Pierce Swift Robinson Conner Patterson
Hill Lamb Pittman Williams Renfrow Samuel
Hockenson Knox Kmet Schultz

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:27 pm

3 votes for Penny, when did he rise above Sutton? I'd take Sutton here as the highest rated wr in the draft.

jaykay22
Starter
Starter

Postby jaykay22 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:55 pm

If I were you, I'd ideally like to trade back. Does the 1.08 owner have any desire to give me 1.08 + 2.08 for the 1.05 alone, or for my 1.05 + 3.05? If you can swing that, at 1.08 you should be able to get one of Jones, Penny, or Freeman (between 1.05-1.07 someone will grab a WR for sure), and now you have an extra second to take another shot at a later rookie.

Alternatively, if you can't swing a trade, I'd personally lean towards the RB with the (seemingly) best situation between Penny, RoJo and Freeman.
#FreeCoreyDavis

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:14 pm

It would be Rojo for me right now, but the nfl draft will change things. My guess is one of those next tier guys will land in a good enough spot to separate and be a strong pick at 1.05.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:17 pm

I've come around to Penny, but I would still probably go Jones here. That, or the receiver with the best combination of situation and talent.

Rosenbluu
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Rosenbluu » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:50 pm

Landing spot determines who I would go with at 1.05, this whole tier is one big cluster. Right now give me DJ
12 Team PPR
QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex
QB: Mahomes/Jones
RB: Mixon/Chubb/Mostert/Burkhead/McKinnon
WR: Wilson/JuJu/Marquise/Mooney/Campbell/Dotson/Osborn/Julio/Tolbert/Shakir/Metchie
TE: Andrews/Hurst

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:09 pm

My pick is Rojo. Seems like not that long ago he was considered at the 3rd pick, with comparisons to Jamaal Charles. He had the hammy problem and then runs a little slower 40 than most expected. I think it will depend on landing spot but I am considering Jones at 1.3 along with Chubb and Michel.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:15 pm

The Jones love makes sense to me from a historical standpoint, I.e. people have thought highly of him for a while.

For those who like Penny, is the reason he’s risen simply a size/speed thing due to his combine metrics?
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:17 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:15 pm The Jones love makes sense to me from a historical standpoint, I.e. people have thought highly of him for a while.

For those who like Penny, is the reason he’s risen simply a size/speed thing due to his combine metrics?
His college production as well. He was a special teams nightmare, too. Returned a ton of kicks/punts for TD's. Showed good long speed on those returns, and with a 40 time that was a hair faster than Zeke's, that tells me he has the juice to break some long runs at the NFL level. Also showed well at the Senior Bowl. I don't have him at 1.05, though.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:33 pm

Christian Kirk, too easy.

keebs3
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby keebs3 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:43 pm

I went Sutton here. I have the 1.05 and swayed to a WR because I also happen to have the 1.01. But, that probably wouldn't have changed my vote if it were my only pick.
There is no clear winner here (as the poll results to date, seem) so currently I've been shopping the pick. If I can't find a deal I'll probably try and move back, as you suggested, when I'm on the clock.
However, I do agree that after the NFL draft we might get a clear pick here at 5. If I had to choose now, I'd stick with Sutton as the safest bet.
The Usurpers-10 team-.5PPR-1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1FLEX
Adopted/Rebuilt 2016-2017 | 2018 Runner up

QB: Deshaun Watson -Cam Newton | Baker Mayfield | Daniel Jones
RB: Saquon Barkley | David Johnson -Breida | Duke | Armstead | D. Harris | J. Samuels
WR: DeAndre Hopkins | Keenan Allen | Stefon Diggs -Christian Kirk | JJAW | James Washington | Hurd
TE: Hunter Henry -Austin Hooper | Irv Smith Jr.

Warriors of the Scarlet Eye-10 team-PPR-Best Ball League-2QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2FLEX
Est. 2017 | 2018 League Champion :trophy: | 2019 Runner up

QB: Russell Wilson | Baker Mayfield -Carson Wentz
RB: Joe Mixon | Dalvin Cook | Nick Chubb -Mark Ingram | Royce Freeman | Justice Hill | Matt Breida | Bernard | Jonathan Williams
WR: Davante Adams | Mike Evans | Julio Jones -Sammy Watkins | John Brown | DeVante Parker | Deebo Samuel | Nelson Agholor | Terry McLaurin
TE: Evan Engram -Hunter Henry | Ian Thomas | Jacob Hollister

ImaRounder
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ImaRounder » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:34 pm

Trade. 1.04-1.08 I'd trade back. grab Kirk, Freeman or maybe sutton will still be there.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:10 pm

If you need RB help, trade the pick for a proven RB instead of drafting for one, even if it means having to add a little more. If you use the pick, I'm going to assume the top WR in the draft (whoever that may be) will be better value than the 5th best RB.

kamihamster
Captain
Captain

Postby kamihamster » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:21 pm

I don't think there's a tier break between the best WR in the draft versus the RBs the likes of Penny, Freeman, Kelly, and Johnson. (Rojo is on my DND list). But since I see it as a tier of 4 RBs and 6 WRs, I'd explore trading down so that you could pick up a chance for two of those guys.
NTL (est 2016): (8-0)
12-team, PPR, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1FLX
QB: A.Rodgers, D.Jones
RB: A.Kamara, K.Johnson, K.Drake, Da.Henderson, C.Anderson, K.Ballage, T.Montgomery, J.Wilson, D.Ogunbowale, Dw.Washington, J.Kelly, P.Perkins, A.Blue
WR: O.Beckham, D.Hopkins, C.Kupp, D.Chark, R.Foster, A.Wilson, J.Reynolds, S.Morgan, B.Pringle, O.Johnson, D.Williams, D.Willis
TE: J.Cook, M.Andrews, A.Shaheen, B.Jarwin
2020 Picks: 3, 4
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4
2022 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

Home League (est 2014): 2018 Champ (6-2)
12-team, NPPR-6ptTD, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,2FLX,1K,1DST,4IDP
QB: P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, M.Breida, S.Michel, F.Gore, D.Guice, K.Ballage, D.Ogunbowale, R.Bonnafon, J.Scarlett, W.Gallman, J.Kelly, J.Wilson
WR: D.Adams, J.Smith-Schuster, T.Boyd, A.Robinson, L.Fitzgerald, Jo.Brown, M.Valdes-Scantiling, K.Harmon, Z.Pascal
TE: E.Engram, A.Hooper
DST: NOS
K: W.Lutz
2020 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5