news on CJA has been relatively quiet...

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
bsp27
Role Player
Role Player

Re: news on CJA has been relatively quiet...

Postby bsp27 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:31 pm

Phaded wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:28 pm Statistics are facts - but statistics are also very subjective and never tell the full story.
If you don't know this by now; I don't know what to tell you.

I'm down on CJA and have never really liked him - but he's not "awful" and should have no problem finding work.
This weak attempt at discrediting every form of data is lazy and helpful to no one. Tell me the specific data points I used that "don't tell the full story", explain why they don't, and we can go from there.
Superflex tight-end premium team:
Qb: Kyler Murray, Dak Presscott, Sam Darnold,
Rb: Derrick Henry, Latavius Murray, Darrell Henderson, Dexter Williams, Brian Hill
Wr: Chris Godwin, Stefon Diggs, Courtland Sutton, DK Metcalf, AJ Brown, Andy Isabella, JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Tre'Quan Smith, Daesean Hamilton, Josh Reynolds, Trey Quin, Snead,
Te: TJ Hockensen, Gesicki, Hurst

1 2020 first, 1 2020 2nd, 1 2020 3rd, 1 2020 4th

Devy superflex
Qb: Cousins, Prescott, Lamar Jackson
Rb: Marlon Mack, Tevin Coleman, Rex Burkhead,, Mcguire, Edwards
Wr: Antonio Brown, Amari Cooper, Kenny Golladay, Will Fuller, Tre'quan Smith, John Brown, Carlos Henderson, Josh Malone, Ryan Switzer, Taywan Taylor, Leonte Carroo, Antonio Callaway
Te: David Njoku, O.J. Howard, Mark Andrews,

devy: Deondre Francois, Cam Akers, Bryce Love, Myles Gaskin, Sewo Olonilua, Jalen Reagor, Peoples-Jones, Noah Fant

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:32 pm

Someone (I forget who) basically stated why the statistics you used aren't very indicative of really.. anything.
It's a couple pages back.

Here, found it:
JFever wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:48 pmThreads like this are why YPC are mistakenly thought to measure skill. People in dynasty / fantasy will take more from reports like that than they should. The load of work shared there speaks nothing of oline, blocking scheme, effect of poor qb play on focus of defenses, game script, and specifics of offensive play call vs defense. All it does is mis use statistical analysis. Put CJA behind a better oline, with a marginally better qb, and you'll see improved production. Simple as that in my opinion.

bsp27
Role Player
Role Player

Postby bsp27 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:38 pm

Phaded wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:32 pm Someone (I forget who) basically stated why the statistics you used aren't very indicative of really.. anything.
It's a couple pages back.

Here, found it:
JFever wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:48 pmThreads like this are why YPC are mistakenly thought to measure skill. People in dynasty / fantasy will take more from reports like that than they should. The load of work shared there speaks nothing of oline, blocking scheme, effect of poor qb play on focus of defenses, game script, and specifics of offensive play call vs defense. All it does is mis use statistical analysis. Put CJA behind a better oline, with a marginally better qb, and you'll see improved production. Simple as that in my opinion.
Yes, and I already responded to that narrative-ridden response.
bsp27 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:38 pm
JFever wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:48 pm
bsp27 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:31 pm Warren Sharp exposes C.J. Anderson for the fraud that he is: https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/statu ... 4587552775
Threads like this are why YPC are mistakenly thought to measure skill. People in dynasty / fantasy will take more from reports like that than they should. The load of work shared there speaks nothing of oline, blocking scheme, effect of poor qb play on focus of defenses, game script, and specifics of offensive play call vs defense. All it does is mis use statistical analysis. Put CJA behind a better oline, with a marginally better qb, and you'll see improved production. Simple as that in my opinion.
Well, his run blocking efficiency was 16th in the league last year, so exactly average. So, he had an average o-line, while facing the easiest run defense schedule by far, and STILL was the 4th worst in success rate. "He didn't rank anything above 20th out of 27 in ydg on unsuccessful plays (Missed YPA) or in explosiveness rate."

You can talk about qb play all you want, but Anderson was worse than a washed Jamaal Charles and Devontae Booker. "Anderson's success rate on 2nd down was 41%, the worst on the Broncos. And his 1st down rate was 30%. For comparison, Charles was at 42%."

"Here's a comparison of Anderson's early down performance the past 2 years as compared to league averages. His SROA (Success Rate Over Average) was -4.1%. Compare:
Charles: +2.1%
Booker: -0.2%
Anderson: -4.1%"

He's terrible, just accept that and move on.
Rb: Derrick Henry, Latavius Murray, Darrell Henderson, Dexter Williams, Brian Hill
Wr: Chris Godwin, Stefon Diggs, Courtland Sutton, DK Metcalf, AJ Brown, Andy Isabella, JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Tre'Quan Smith, Daesean Hamilton, Josh Reynolds, Trey Quin, Snead,

Devy superflex
Wr: Antonio Brown, Amari Cooper, Kenny Golladay, Will Fuller, Tre'quan Smith, John Brown, Carlos Henderson, Josh Malone, Ryan Switzer, Taywan Taylor, Leonte Carroo, Antonio Callaway

devy: Deondre Francois, Cam Akers, Bryce Love, Myles Gaskin, Sewo Olonilua, Jalen Reagor, Peoples-Jones, Noah Fant

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:40 pm

But your point proves nothing.
Literally. Nothing.
It does not even address the post.

Blackout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Blackout » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:43 pm

My comparisons with Freeman, Gordon and Zeke were significant too.

bsp27
Role Player
Role Player

Postby bsp27 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:45 pm

Phaded wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:40 pm But your point proves nothing.
Literally. Nothing.
How to tell someone that you lost the argument ^^^

Devy superflex

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:45 pm

They are terrible too, Blackout.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:45 pm

bsp27 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:45 pm
Literally. Nothing.
How to tell someone has zero reading comprehension.

Literally all you did was further support JFever's point.

bsp27
Role Player
Role Player

Postby bsp27 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:48 pm

Phaded wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:45 pm
Literally. Nothing.

He said this: "The load of work shared there speaks nothing of oline, blocking scheme, effect of poor qb play on focus of defenses, game script, and specifics of offensive play call vs defense"

And I discredited that when I compared Anderson to his other teammates. Because his other teammates operated in the same offense, with the same oline, with the same quarterback play, the same game script etc.

Understand?

Devy superflex

Blackout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Blackout » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:52 pm

I think it's really more significant to compare 230-280 carries players than Charles, Booker and CJA. Type of runs is meaningful for me. Those are real stats.to say that CJA is one of thé most underrated RB actually in the top 25-30 range. Easiest schedule or not.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:54 pm

Hahaha, is bsp the guy who was referencing CJA's high school stats last week? :lol:
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

hankmurphy
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby hankmurphy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:19 pm

bsp27 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:48 pm

He said this: "The load of work shared there speaks nothing of oline, blocking scheme, effect of poor qb play on focus of defenses, game script, and specifics of offensive play call vs defense"

And I discredited that when I compared Anderson to his other teammates. Because his other teammates operated in the same offense, with the same oline, with the same quarterback play, the same game script etc.

Understand?

But they didn't operate on the exact same plays, so it's not an apples-to-apples argument. It's lazy analysis to just assume that YPC are directly comparable just because they play on the same team.

bsp27
Role Player
Role Player

Postby bsp27 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:34 am

hankmurphy wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:19 pm
bsp27 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:48 pm

Understand?

But they didn't operate on the exact same plays, so it's not an apples-to-apples argument. It's lazy analysis to just assume that YPC are directly comparable just because they play on the same team.
Are you kidding me....? Of course we won't know the exact result that these players would have if given the exact same situation, but operating under the same coaching staff, with the same quarterback, facing the same defenses, it is the best way to compare players. I never even cited yards per carry, I was citing success rates from Warren Sharp:

"Here's a comparison of Anderson's early down performance the past 2 years as compared to league averages. His SROA (Success Rate Over Average) was -4.1%. Compare:
Charles: +2.1%
Booker: -0.2%
Anderson: -4.1%"

Devy superflex

hjernazian
Captain
Captain

Postby hjernazian » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:21 am

kmbryant09 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:07 am As a Denver fan and a big CJ fan, this is a sad day. The team, most notably John Elway, never seemed to appreciate Anderson and never really valued him properly. He's outperformed his backfield mates every season in the NFL, and has consistently received top10 grades from PFF - yet Elway nearly lost Anderson to Miami a few years ago, then badly under-utilized him over the past few seasons, giving valuable carries to Ronnie Hillman, Devontae Booker, and a washed-up Jamaal Charles instead of Anderson.

As a dynasty owner of CJ, this could be a good thing for his outlook since there are a few promising destinations around the league:
-Indianapolis: They don't seem content with Mack (unfortunately), and could be a great offense if Luck's health cooperates
-Tampa Bay: Solid offense in desperate need for a workhorse RB
-Seattle: Bad O-Line, but good offense that needs a workhorse RB
-New England: Anderson is better than both Gillislee & Hill, Anderson would immediately be a candidate for 12+ TDs
-Green Bay: My darkhorse candidate - they couldn't really settle on Montgomery / Williams / Jones last year, and we know Rodgers values a pass-blocking RB (which Anderson is good at). Much like New England, Green Bay could be an easy path for RB #2 numbers just based on TD opportunities
I'm with you on everything in this response. I'm a big CJA fan, and even a bigger Broncos fan. He was easily our best offensive player last year, and that god awful offense. It seems CJA never got his credit in his tenure, and was constantly being undervalued by the fantasy community, and his own team.

Fun fact, CJA averages a higher YPC than Melvin Gordon. Yes, you read that right.

Amongst those destinations, I think Green Bay, Tampa, Miami and Indy would be great. I think if he goes to any one of those spots he is a viable weekly RB2 (not that he wasn't already last year, totalling over 1,000 yards). With low-end RB1 upside in Tampa, GB and possibly Indy. The Miami offense is so bad I don't see him nearing the goal line much.

NE would be a nightmare, and so would Seattle. Please don't let him go there.
Team 1

Superflex, 1.0 point PPR

QB: P. Mahomes $5, C. Newton $20, B. Mayfield $2, D. Brees
RB: D. Johnson $54, N. Chubb $4, T. Coleman $4, D. Henry $14, I. Crowell $3, J. Richard $9, J. Adams $3
WR: A. Robinson $41, T.Y. Hilton $24, J. Landry $25, C. Davis $4, C. Godwin $4, D. Hamilton $3, K. Cole, S. Shephard $10
TE: E. Engram $4, D. Njoku $2, K. Rudolph $3, V. McDonald $4
K/DEF: Irrelevant

2019: 2.04, 2.05, 2.06, 3.06, 4.06

Team 2

Start: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 RB/WR/TE - 25 man roster + 4 TAXI

QB: T. Brady, M. Ryan, N. Foles
RB: K. Hunt, C. McCaffrey, D. Johnson, T. Coleman, S. Ware, D. Williams, Ito Smith, D. Sproles
WR: AJ Green, A. Robinson, A. Thielen, E. Sanders, G. Tate, S. Roberts
TE: J. Reed, J. Butt, M. Roberts, V. Davis, M. Williams
TAXI: S. Darnold, D. Fountain, D. Cain, Jaleel Scott

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:02 am

I own zero shares of CJA, but I don't hate him either. Relatively unbiased. I find the statistical arguments against him lacking, however. It reminds me of all the attacks on McKinnon for years, and the statistical attacks on how Gurley just wasn't that good. Then the surroundings change...
Label me as uninformed, but...how exactly is SROA measured?
Also...describe to me how blocking efficiency is measured. I'm betting in that description, you'll have a hard time weeding apart how a RB's skills can heavily influence the run blocking grade.