Thoughts on Matt Waldman's RSP?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Reno McCoy
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Thoughts on Matt Waldman's RSP?

Postby Reno McCoy » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:54 am

For those who've used both, how does this compare to the Orange Report?
16-team salary/contract league (start QB, RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2Flex, K, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 DEF FLEX)

QB: Foles, Bortles, Brissett, Mullens
RB: Bell, Ingram, Guice, Singletary
WR: Landry, Boyd, Shepard, Allison, Pettis, Kirk, Gallup, M. Brown
TE: Ertz, Everett
DL: Dunlap, Hunter, J. Allen, McKinley
LB: Ogletree, Wagner, Telvin Smith, Devin Bush, Eric Kendricks, Tavai
DB: Reshad Jones, H. Smith, Collins
K: Badgely, Elliott

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:00 pm

Reno McCoy wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:54 am For those who've used both, how does this compare to the Orange Report?
It's significantly more in depth and complex. It's also more real football oriented and not fantasy focused.

NY CAT
Captain
Captain

Postby NY CAT » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:07 pm

I've purchased over the last 5 years. IMO well worth it.

Enjoy reading the material and respect the time he has dedicated to creating this great resource.

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:32 pm

Bought for a couple years. There was some good info in there but it's not something where you can expect all of his rankings to hit.

I think the best thing I got from reading the RSP in general was to trust my own gut and form my own opinions.

tresskid84
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tresskid84 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:29 pm

If all of Waldman's rankings hit, he would not be putting out the RSP, he would be running a franchise, haha.

I could listen/watch him break down tape all day, very informative and also very calming after a long day at work. RSP is a great resource, and the $20 is worth a great read, even if every ranking isn't perfect (again, this should never be the expectation, because it is crazy to think anyone would get every ranking correct, haha, there are so many variables at play). I do agree that analytics play a part as well, because there is definitely baseline that most guys cannot escape to succeed, even if they are the most technically sound players in the universe.
2021-Orphan Rebuild, 12tm PPR, SF, 1.75 TE Prem
2 SF, 8 Flex

QB: Mayfield, Z Wilson, D Jones, Heinicke, Rudolph, Foles
RB: Herbert, Felton, Evans, Nwangwu, Calais
WR: D Smith, Waddle, Chark, J Palmer, D P-J, Raymond, Washington, Jauan, Darden, Fehoko, Smith-Marsette, C Johnson, Proche, Shi Smith, A Tate, ESB, JJAW
TE: O'Shaughnessy, Moreau, Granson, Tyree J, Hu Bryant, Hopkins, Fortson
2022 Picks: 1.01, 1.04, 1.11, 2.01, 2.09, and 3.02
2023 Picks: six 1sts, my 2nd

2021-Orphan Rebuild, 16tm PPR, SF, 1.5pr TE, DEVY:
1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 SF, 3 Flex
Draft is rookies and devy (only 2022 NFL eligible)

QB: Tua, Fields, Brissett, Foles, Purdy(D), T Morgan(D)
RB: Etienne, Gainwell, Homer, T Jones, J Hill, Ragas, Sargent, Calais, Funk,
WR: Cephus, Nico, J Palmer, Gage, Quez, P Williams, JJAW, Strachan, Proche, Lil'Jordan, Shi Smith, Fryfogle(D)
TE: Moreau, Maxx, H Long, RSJ, Tyree J
2022 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.12, 3.02, 3.07, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12, 3.15, 4.01, 4.02, 4.05, 4.07, 4.12, 4.15

Go Bucks
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Go Bucks » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:33 pm

Reno McCoy wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:54 am For those who've used both, how does this compare to the Orange Report?
I find it to be much better than Orange Report. But never been a fan of Ghost's work. I don't rely solely on the RSP, but it's useful in conjunction with other resources.

KingsKing
Captain
Captain

Postby KingsKing » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:15 pm

I use it as a tool , I find it has great value and has helped me hit on a few diamonds in years past.

raiders444
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby raiders444 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:58 pm

I think it's worth the $20 as others have already stated. He will surprise you with some of his top picks- I noticed this year he has Pettis as his #1 WR, who is a guy I hadn't even heard of until seeing his name today. A guy like Pettis might be a big ht but I have seen quite a few misses from his analysis over the years. I think the post-draft RSP is more valuable and used together with the pre-draft version, you will get a lot of good usage out of it in the later rounds of your dynasty draft when less informed GMs are struggling for names
Team 1 - 16 TEAM PPR - 1 QB / 2 RB / 3 WR / 1 TE / 1 D/ST / 1 K
QB: Lamar Jackson, Malik Willis, Sam Howell
RB: Saquon Barkley, Ken Walker, Michael Carter, Khalil Herbert, Keontay Ingram
WR: Chris Godwin, Christian Kirk, Josh Palmer, Terrace Marshall, Christian Watson, John Metchie, Mack Hollins
TE: Kyle Pitts, Chiggie Okonkwo
K: Justin Tucker
D/ST: Titans, Falcons

sunnyd23
Role Player
Role Player

Postby sunnyd23 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:00 pm

For those that have never purchased the RSP, there is something to keep in mind. Waldman hates rankings. To use the publication for rankings is short sighted. The 3-year window as mentioned previously is how to approach the players scouted.

The best way to use the publication is to see the players he sees as good pro prospects and when they are available late in drafts/free agents during the season, you pounce.

For example, I've picked up Peyton Barber(highly thought of) in leagues where available before last season. Not to mention buying low on players when available.
10-team, Superflex, PPR, performance, 25-man roster
QB(Start 1-2): L.Jackson, S.Darnold, D.Carr
RB(2-3): J.Mixon, M.Mack, C.Edwards-Helaire, J.Taylor, J.K.Dobbins, A.J.Dillon, Z.Moss, L.Miller, , Ja.Williams, G.Bernard
WR(3-4): D.Hopkins, A.Cooper, A.Theilen, K.Golloday, C.Davis, L.Fitzgerald, Z.Pascal, M.Boykin
TE(1-2): D.Njoku, D.Waller
'21 - 1,4

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:42 pm

I've bought it the last few years, but I also buy, Inside the Pylon's, Dane Brugler's, Kyle Crabb's NDTScouting .. I default to Waldman and Brugler the most to get a feel for a player I have yet to watch...

I also listen to a ton of podcasts though that supplement the guides .. football guys, Brugler is a regular on a draft show podcast with Talkin' Cowboys Bryan Broaddus, Saturday to Sunday, .. team podcasts ..

I think its worth the money, with Waldman in particular you have to be careful of which little guy he is championing each year .. seems he always ranks one of them pretty high .. whether a WR or RB ... Enjoy his work and his analysis, I like his RB analysis in particular .. I temper his QB analysis ..
@PlankMelody

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:50 pm

His top WR is way out of left field.

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:51 pm

I enjoy his analysis because it's not part of the twitter groupthink. It is refreshing.

Prickler
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Prickler » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:59 pm

I have never read his RSP. He seems like a good guy and puts a lot of work into it. My biggest problem is that he seems to have some really hot takes, and I fear that if fantasy players give too much weight to his rankings vs the consensus they are taking a huge risk. I'm also curious as to what makes him an expert on film study? Is it because he really enjoys football as a hobby?

I'm sure its worth the money for entertainment value, but if you are relying on it to win fantasy leagues then good luck!!

P.S. he seems to be very underwhelmed by DJ Moore, who the analytics guys are really big on as a prospect. Can't wait to see how that plays out. Moores breakout age, dominator rating, and combine metrics don't care about your opinion of his "film" :nono:

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:02 pm

Bot101 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:50 pm His top WR is way out of left field.
I get it tho. Pettis is a very polished WR. He may have a pretty low ceiling compared to Sutton or ESB, but he reminds me of Kupp, Ridley, & a little Golden Tate.

Honestly you know who he REALLY reminds me of, if he hit his absolute ceiling, firing on all cylinders? Keenan Allen. That is seriously what Pettis looks like when he's at his best - so freaking smooth.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

hjernazian
Captain
Captain

Postby hjernazian » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:30 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:02 pm
Bot101 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:50 pm His top WR is way out of left field.
I get it tho. Pettis is a very polished WR. He may have a pretty low ceiling compared to Sutton or ESB, but he reminds me of Kupp, Ridley, & a little Golden Tate.

Honestly you know who he REALLY reminds me of, if he hit his absolute ceiling, firing on all cylinders? Keenan Allen. That is seriously what Pettis looks like when he's at his best - so freaking smooth.
It’s crazy. After reading the DLF and RotoViz articles on him, I had the same Keenan comp. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him as a mid-2nd dynasty pick if he lands in an ideal spot. His last couple of games seemed to really showcase that fluidity.
Team 1

Superflex, 1.0 point PPR

QB: P. Mahomes $5, C. Newton $20, B. Mayfield $2, D. Brees
RB: D. Johnson $54, N. Chubb $4, T. Coleman $4, D. Henry $14, I. Crowell $3, J. Richard $9, J. Adams $3
WR: A. Robinson $41, T.Y. Hilton $24, J. Landry $25, C. Davis $4, C. Godwin $4, D. Hamilton $3, K. Cole, S. Shephard $10
TE: E. Engram $4, D. Njoku $2, K. Rudolph $3, V. McDonald $4
K/DEF: Irrelevant

2019: 2.04, 2.05, 2.06, 3.06, 4.06

Team 2

Start: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 RB/WR/TE - 25 man roster + 4 TAXI

QB: T. Brady, M. Ryan, N. Foles
RB: K. Hunt, C. McCaffrey, D. Johnson, T. Coleman, S. Ware, D. Williams, Ito Smith, D. Sproles
WR: AJ Green, A. Robinson, A. Thielen, E. Sanders, G. Tate, S. Roberts
TE: J. Reed, J. Butt, M. Roberts, V. Davis, M. Williams
TAXI: S. Darnold, D. Fountain, D. Cain, Jaleel Scott