3) Keep allowing him the full 12 hours per pick
80%

Total votes: 106

jaykay22
Starter
Starter

Re: START-UP guy has gone radio silent, how to handle

Postby jaykay22 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:42 pm

Yeah, this is a silly thread. I just finished a startup, one where I was taking 5-7 hours per pick for the first 3-4 rounds due to literally having some unpredictable work shifts where my access to my phone was limited for 2-3 shifts straight (I'm a pharmacist, I'm constantly interacting with patients and checking prescriptions). Mind you this draft started in late FEBRUARY. The resident obnoxious manchild of the league was getting his panties in a bunch cause I was slowing down the draft and not answering his GroupMe PM's and email offers...despite still making my picks within the allotted window and trying to communicate any potential slowdown on my part to the rest of the guys in advance. He was getting upset to the point of using slurs. Thankfully said resident manchild decided to leave the league immediately once he drafted his team, so all is good.

Some people needs hobbies (outside of ff).
#FreeCoreyDavis

snaps06
Captain
Captain

Postby snaps06 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:00 am

FiremanEd wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:35 pm I personally feel like the 12 hour clock is a courtesy to allow for life to occur, with the understanding that owners shouldn’t be default use all 12 hours on each pick. I get that they are entitled to it, but I thought this was an understood item. If you can’t make the pick, it is ideal for at least acknowledgement, either that pick or at the outset, that you will need extra time due to X. Frankly, if every owner took the 12 hours I wouldn’t even want to participate in a startup.
Then don't join a league that has a 12 hour clock on picks. Awfully simple.

Acknowledgement of lengthy time for a pick is neither required nor should it be expected. As long as the owner is following the rules and is making his/her picks within the predetermined time frame, then there is zero issue.

Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mephistopheles » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:31 am

Bad News Barrett wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:11 pm
Wolfepack28 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:57 pm OP has gone radio silent. What gives?
Can we vote to remove the OP from the forum?
Has he been radio silent for the allotted 12 hours?
PSA - Haggling is NOT the same as negotiating.

Bad News Barrett
MVP
MVP

Postby Bad News Barrett » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:34 am

SCYCPA wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:31 am
Wolfepack28 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:57 pm OP has gone radio silent. What gives?
Longer for sure. It would be nice if he at least told us why he hasn’t posted in this thread in a while
Finally on Twitter @dynastybarrett

"I'm afraid I've got some bad news"

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:43 am

I just want the now 11 people who voted to boot to out themselves.

There are interview questions when applying for jobs and residences. Seems like this question/issue would be a good litmus test for prospective owners/leagues.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

millworkguy
Captain
Captain

Postby millworkguy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:59 am

I held a league hostage last year refusing to pick after the commish manually changed k Mack from LB to DE after picking him in the 6th round of a start-up. Ended up in 3rd, got my money back and not returning...
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)
DW2- Co-Commish (16 Team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

Bad News Barrett
MVP
MVP

Postby Bad News Barrett » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:05 am

millworkguy wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:59 am I held a league hostage last year refusing to pick after the commish manually changed k Mack from LB to DE after picking him in the 6th round of a start-up. Ended up in 3rd, got my money back and not returning...
Must have gotten the idea from Coogan

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:29 pm

snaps06 wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:00 am
FiremanEd wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:35 pm I personally feel like the 12 hour clock is a courtesy to allow for life to occur, with the understanding that owners shouldn’t be default use all 12 hours on each pick. I get that they are entitled to it, but I thought this was an understood item. If you can’t make the pick, it is ideal for at least acknowledgement, either that pick or at the outset, that you will need extra time due to X. Frankly, if every owner took the 12 hours I wouldn’t even want to participate in a startup.
That’s an oversimplification and I’m not sure you fully understood my post. As mentioned, the 12 hours allows life to occur. A two hour clock is going to cause issues because inevitably people will have times they simply can’t get to the phone. The 12 hours is a standard convenience time for selections. Sure it gives you that as your timeframe without being outside the ‘rules’, but it is provided to allow for life, not intended to be for every user to use 11 hours and 59 minutes every time. If everyone would I guarantee the league would not be enjoyable, as the draft drags on and on and on and on...

As mentioned, it isn’t against the rules, it isn’t an ‘issue’ in small scope, but people posting seem to be looking past the common understanding that 12 hours is available, but that users should generally be picking in less than that when able. I agree that no rule changes, booting, etc. is applicable here, but simply stating the generally unspoken understanding that allows drafts to move forward and actually be completed.

Bad News Barrett
MVP
MVP

Postby Bad News Barrett » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:50 pm

FiremanEd wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:29 pm
snaps06 wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:00 am
That’s an oversimplification and I’m not sure you fully understood my post. As mentioned, the 12 hours allows life to occur. A two hour clock is going to cause issues because inevitably people will have times they simply can’t get to the phone. The 12 hours is a standard convenience time for selections. Sure it gives you that as your timeframe without being outside the ‘rules’, but it is provided to allow for life, not intended to be for every user to use 11 hours and 59 minutes every time. If everyone would I guarantee the league would not be enjoyable, as the draft drags on and on and on and on...

As mentioned, it isn’t against the rules, it isn’t an ‘issue’ in small scope, but people posting seem to be looking past the common understanding that 12 hours is available, but that users should generally be picking in less than that when able. I agree that no rule changes, booting, etc. is applicable here, but simply stating the generally unspoken understanding that allows drafts to move forward and actually be completed.
I agree with Ed, which is difficult to do, as he’s a Jets fan

Pre-draft is available if you know you won’t be around. I don’t pre-draft early picks, but later rounds you can easily narrow down who you will pick next and pre-draft

But it’s nothing worth kicking a guy out. And clearly you guys pissed him off and deserve the wait now.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:50 pm

FiremanEd wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:29 pm That’s an oversimplification and I’m not sure you fully understood my post. As mentioned, the 12 hours allows life to occur. A two hour clock is going to cause issues because inevitably people will have times they simply can’t get to the phone. The 12 hours is a standard convenience time for selections. Sure it gives you that as your timeframe without being outside the ‘rules’, but it is provided to allow for life, not intended to be for every user to use 11 hours and 59 minutes every time. If everyone would I guarantee the league would not be enjoyable, as the draft drags on and on and on and on...

I wish that all owners had this perspective. Unfortunately, I've been in leagues where there are owners who believe in using every minute of that clock. Not necessarily on every pick but for many of them. In challenging them to be more courteous they would argue the hard line position that they had 12 hours (or whatever the time frame was) and they were going to use it.

I think pretty much everyone agrees (besides the 12 who have no clue what they are doing) that the owner is operating within the rules of the league and this is nothing more than a commissioner and leaguemates being overly anxious.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:28 pm

Curious to hear an update from OP on how the draft is progressing. :)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Bad News Barrett
MVP
MVP

Postby Bad News Barrett » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:12 pm

ArrylT wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:28 pm Curious to hear an update from OP on how the draft is progressing. :)
He’s gone radio silent

smbkrypt24
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby smbkrypt24 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:41 pm

I think you shouldn't do anything about it. I agree it is pretty obnoxious for someone to take 12 hours every time, but the time allowed is set to 12 hours for a reason...which is that every player gets 12 hours to pick. Like you already did I would reach out to him and make sure he knows he is in the middle of a fantasy football draft, but again he holds no responsibility to respond to anything or give a reason for why he is using the whole clock. I have played in a few leagues that where someone enjoyed using the whole clock and it really dragged down the draft experience, but we just sucked it up and got through it.
12 Team PPR Dynasty. Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1 K, 1 D, 21 roster spots.

2013 Startup
Team 1- 3rd in 2023
QB: Herbert, B. Purdy, Fields
RB: Bijan, Barkley, Akers, Dobbins
WR: T. Hill, D. Johnson, JSN, Doubs, Meyers, Thomas, Toney
TE: Andrews, Likely, Dulcic

2024: 1.01, 1.07
2025: 1, 2, 2

2019 Startup
Team 2- 4th in 2023
QB: Murray, Cousins, Wilson
RB: Bijan, Kamara, Dobbins, Rodriguez
WR: Chase, G. Wilson, D. Adams, Di. Johnson, M. Wilson, W. Robinson, R. Rice
TE: McBride, Pitts, Kmet, Likely

2024: 1.01, 1.06, 1.08, 2.09
2025: 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3

2021 Startup
Team 3- 11th in 2023
QB: Goff, Watson, Cousins, Levis, Rodgers, Young
RB: Gibbs, Pacheco, Dobbins
WR: Chase, J. Jefferson, JSN, Palmer, Mooney, Tillman
TE: Schultz, Pitts, Likely, Okonkwo

2024: 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, 1.04, 2.03, 2.06, 2.07, 2.10, 3.03, 3.06, 3.08
2025: 1, 2, 3

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:39 am

Bad News Barrett wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:05 am
millworkguy wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:59 am I held a league hostage last year refusing to pick after the commish manually changed k Mack from LB to DE after picking him in the 6th round of a start-up. Ended up in 3rd, got my money back and not returning...
Must have gotten the idea from Coogan
I just spit my coffee out lol

So basically...

You started a league with said rules

League fills and a guy comminicates and follows said rules (yes him picking with 6 minutes to go is him not auto pick)

You now want to remove him and change said rules??

I dont get this at all but this wouldnt fly with me. I love to pick as much as the next guy but at the same time you have to respect peoples lives. I suspect we dont hear from the OP anymore but for anyone else reading, a league where the commish wants to change rules because people dont like them is a bad league plain and simple.
Devy Writer and Ranker for DLF

Follow me on Twitter @PiersonFF

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:15 am

Bad News Barrett wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:34 am
SCYCPA wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:31 am

Longer for sure. It would be nice if he at least told us why he hasn’t posted in this thread in a while
Very well played, gentlemen.

I was in one league where one member - the Commish, if I remember correctly - would use almost the full alloted time, and would then hector everyone else to hurry up. The lack of self-awareness was impressive!
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks