Impact of new catch rule.

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
austing
Role Player
Role Player

Impact of new catch rule.

Postby austing » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:16 pm

Just saw a clip laying out the new catch rule as only needing a third step or to extend for the los to establish control. I'm wondering if there are any particular group or subgroup of players who benefit more than others from this change, aside from defenses getting more fumbles.

Do the the red zone receivers benefit the more than others from those tds now getting converted instead of called dead? Or will 3rd down backs and high reception guys get a comparatively bigger bump in ppr from the extra catches they will get credit for?
12 team/37 year contract cap ppr league/ Player (yrs left on team) --- Qb Rb Flex Flex Flex Flex (max 3 rbs, no req. TEs)

QB Josh Allen (1)

RB Nick Chubb (1) Miles Sanders (4) Chase Edmunds (1)

WR Kenny Golladay (2) Jerry Jeudy (4) Courtland Sutton (3) Allen Robinson (3) Marvin Jones (2) Nelson Agholor (1) Nkeal Harry (3)

K Josh Brown (1)

Dst Bears (1)

2021 1.04 Pick (waddle/pitts/williams)

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Impact of new catch rule.

Postby dynastyninja » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:29 pm

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually liked the previous catch rule. It made sense and was, in my mind, a reasonable interpretation of a tough thing to gauge. My problem was more with the execution when a play was challenged and how calls could be changed without irrefutable evidence.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:29 pm

Also, Dez didn't catch it

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:40 am

With only the above explanation, sounds like a good change to me. Much like a runner can allow the ball to be moving without necessarily fumbling, there are times a WR can have enough control of a catch to be making a move with the ball to extend it forward before all the other previously necessary steps had been established.

And yeah, Dez caught it. So did Calvin Johnson.

I think this will add a few receiving TDs per year in the league, but not enough to change any rankings or values of players.

Now, if those are considered catches in the new interpretation, does losing the ball when reaching for additional yardage make it a fumble if the receiver has been contacted by a defender?
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:40 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:40 amI think this will add a few receiving TDs per year in the league, but not enough to change any rankings or values of players.
Co-sign.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:18 am

dynastyninja wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:29 pm Also, Dez didn't catch it

BLASPHEMY!
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

kamihamster
Captain
Captain

Postby kamihamster » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:31 am

Adding three steps is nice because that is actually a rule. I wish they added something like the ball can't hit the ground. They've been making rules benefiting the catchers for safety reasons, and I get it. They should make things harder for them with a rule like that so that QBs would have to throw it higher so the catcher won't have to go to the ground. It would probably lead to more interceptions and make the game more entertaining. And it takes away the interpretation of having control... if it never hits the ground then you obviously controlled it.
NTL (est 2016): (8-0)
12-team, PPR, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1FLX
QB: A.Rodgers, D.Jones
RB: A.Kamara, K.Johnson, K.Drake, Da.Henderson, C.Anderson, K.Ballage, T.Montgomery, J.Wilson, D.Ogunbowale, Dw.Washington, J.Kelly, P.Perkins, A.Blue
WR: O.Beckham, D.Hopkins, C.Kupp, D.Chark, R.Foster, A.Wilson, J.Reynolds, S.Morgan, B.Pringle, O.Johnson, D.Williams, D.Willis
TE: J.Cook, M.Andrews, A.Shaheen, B.Jarwin
2020 Picks: 3, 4
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4
2022 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

Home League (est 2014): 2018 Champ (6-2)
12-team, NPPR-6ptTD, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,2FLX,1K,1DST,4IDP
QB: P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, M.Breida, S.Michel, F.Gore, D.Guice, K.Ballage, D.Ogunbowale, R.Bonnafon, J.Scarlett, W.Gallman, J.Kelly, J.Wilson
WR: D.Adams, J.Smith-Schuster, T.Boyd, A.Robinson, L.Fitzgerald, Jo.Brown, M.Valdes-Scantiling, K.Harmon, Z.Pascal
TE: E.Engram, A.Hooper
DST: NOS
K: W.Lutz
2020 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Tvols
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tvols » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:49 am

wonder abot sideline catches? still have control through the ground?

And yes Dez caught the ball..
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Team 2 recent rod 16 team SF/TEP(2pt PPR) 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-5 wrs and 1-2 TE full IDP.
QB A rod, M willis and H Hooker
rb not squat T Bigsby, Chris R, Z evans. J kelly, C patterson, and J mcluaghlin.
WRs chase, J Addison, T McLaurin, C ridgley , A Losivas, M hollins
TE Kelce, D Belligner, T Conklin

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:54 am

Eh. Minimal to no impact. How many calls really came into question last year? I don’t think it changes anyone’s value higher or lower.

JJRules
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby JJRules » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:26 am

I think it's stupid that this level of detail is required to determine whether or not something qualifies as a catch.
10-team Superflex, 0.5 PPR, 15-man rosters, pseudo-dynasty
Keep any number of players (0-15), lose same number of draft picks
2010, 2015, 2020 - 🏆, 2013 - 🥈

QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, SF, FLEX, D/ST

QB: Dak, Watson
RB: Swift, Robinson Jr, Singletary, Brown, Hubbard, Zeus, Herbert
WR: Wilson, Olave, Pickens, Aiyuk
TE: Pitts, LaPorta
D/ST:

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:30 am

I'm telling you guys, my 1 second rule will catch on eventually :pray:

James McGhee
Captain
Captain

Postby James McGhee » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:30 am

JJRules wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:26 am I think it's stupid that this level of detail is required to determine whether or not something qualifies as a catch.
Seriously. How did the NFL even get by for what...50 years?!...before the catch rule became the center of the universe?!
12 team league; 15 man roster; .5 pt PPR;
QB/RB/2 WR/TE/2 FLX/K/DEF

Tom Brady, Cam Newton
Mark Ingram, Kerryon Johnson, Rashaad Penny, Ronald Jones
AJ Green, Keenan Allen, Michael Thomas, Marvin Jones, Golden Tate, Keelan Cole
Rob Gronkowski
Will Lutz
Minnesota Defense

12 team league; 30-man roster; full PPR
QB/2 RB/2 WR/TE/3 FLX

Rodgers, Goff, Carr
Bell, J. Stewart, Foreman, Perine
Hopkins, K. Allen, Cooks, Hurns, Kupp, Lee, C. Samuel, Patterson, Taywan Taylor
Howard, Hooper, S. Anderson

austing
Role Player
Role Player

Postby austing » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:07 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:40 am With only the above explanation, sounds like a good change to me. Much like a runner can allow the ball to be moving without necessarily fumbling, there are times a WR can have enough control of a catch to be making a move with the ball to extend it forward before all the other previously necessary steps had been established.

And yeah, Dez caught it. So did Calvin Johnson.

I think this will add a few receiving TDs per year in the league, but not enough to change any rankings or values of players.

Now, if those are considered catches in the new interpretation, does losing the ball when reaching for additional yardage make it a fumble if the receiver has been contacted by a defender?
I side with your take on this I think. While it not be a significant impact in fantasy, I think it may have more than the negligible effect others are claiming, even though predicting where that impact will be seems nearly impossible.

And from my understanding, yes the rule change will lead to those previously incompletes into becoming fumbles now. Team defenses should have more of an impact with the incompletions becoming live balls.
12 team/37 year contract cap ppr league/ Player (yrs left on team) --- Qb Rb Flex Flex Flex Flex (max 3 rbs, no req. TEs)

QB Josh Allen (1)

RB Nick Chubb (1) Miles Sanders (4) Chase Edmunds (1)

WR Kenny Golladay (2) Jerry Jeudy (4) Courtland Sutton (3) Allen Robinson (3) Marvin Jones (2) Nelson Agholor (1) Nkeal Harry (3)

K Josh Brown (1)

Dst Bears (1)

2021 1.04 Pick (waddle/pitts/williams)