Ricky Seals-Jones’ future?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Re: Ricky Seals-Jones’ future?

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:26 am

I'm reluctant to believe in this guy. Conflicted.

His targets per route run last year was impressively high, implying the QB trusted him greatly. So that's promising, right? Especially for a rookie TE.

But his college tape is hot garbage. Inexcusable drops. Slow-twitch athleticism apparent in his routes. Couldn't separate. Played soft; disappeared in the red-zone despite having what should have been drastic size and play-strength advantage for that level.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:32 am

ninotoreS wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:26 am I'm reluctant to believe in this guy. Conflicted.

His targets per route run last year was impressively high, implying the QB trusted him greatly. So that's promising, right? Especially for a rookie TE.

But his college tape is hot garbage. Inexcusable drops. Slow-twitch athleticism apparent in his routes. Couldn't separate. Played soft; disappeared in the red-zone despite having what should have been drastic size and play-strength advantage for that level.
NFL tape is more important than college tape once NFL tape exists. Hence, once a player like RSJ has shown improvement, I'm willing to assume that his skills in that regard won't regress. That said, without doing extensive research or going back and watching all those awful ARI games, I would bet that his yards per route run last year is high largely due to two reasons:

1. ARI was a dumpster fire and really had few viable receivers, necessitating more dump-offs to the TE. While this may remain true in 2018, the return of David Johnson will likely take away a number of those dump-offs each game.
2. Blaine Gabbert and Drew Stanton are awful, and they likely focused on the "safer" throws over the middle to the TE than more difficult throws to the outside to mediocre WRs that had trouble separating from coverage.

Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:01 am

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:32 am2. Blaine Gabbert and Drew Stanton are awful, and they likely focused on the "safer" throws over the middle to the TE than more difficult throws to the outside to mediocre WRs that had trouble separating from coverage.
Sam Bradford has a long history of throwing to TEs.

Sam Bradford also has a long injury history, at which point the back-up QBs might look to TEs more.

I'm not suggesting that RSJ will put up the incredible numbers that Rudolph and Ertz did when Bradford was their QB (and they lead their respective teams in targets!!). But, it's worthwhile noting that the upgrade to Bradford would more likely be a boon to a TE than a loss.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

j2cain
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby j2cain » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:57 am

Supposedly Arizona sees him as a mismatch and the GM had some good things to say about him. Could just be off-season chatter. I bought him for a 4 and 5 this year before I got OJ Howard. I'm not looking to move him, but I would

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:02 am

ninotoreS wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:26 am I'm reluctant to believe in this guy. Conflicted.

He was a 5 star recruit apparently. He was clearly lazy in college but the light may have clicked. Think Andre Drummond --- he was a debacle in college.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:05 am

lukkynumber13 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:59 pm
Space Cowboy wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:03 pm 45/550/5?
That would be an incredible stat line
Why? Both Brate and Doyle did better and both are less athletic.

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:32 am

Space Cowboy wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:02 am

He was a 5 star recruit apparently. He was clearly lazy in college but the light may have clicked. Think Andre Drummond --- he was a debacle in college.
Drummond was a one and done who reclassified/was a year younger than his incoming class. Bagley-esque.

RSJ spent legit time in college. I don't like the basketball parallel, but there clearly could be something with regard to pedigree.

In terms of my stance, I am holding bc of the rumblings that he will receive more use next year. I'm tempering expectations, though, bc he and Gabbert had really good chemistry, particularly in the red zone. That isnt guaranteed to happen with Bradford, but I am hopeful given organization chatter.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:38 am

Niklas is gone and Gresham is old. Even a rookie won't push much for snaps. We should get a good look at him unless they go for Barnidge or some other veteran get's the axe post draft.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:06 am

thebeast wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:05 am
lukkynumber13 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:59 pm
Space Cowboy wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:03 pm 45/550/5?
That would be an incredible stat line
Why? Both Brate and Doyle did better and both are less athletic.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying he couldn’t get those numbers if AZ makes him an every snap TE. Or even if he plays 80% of the snaps. But I’m willing to bet he is SIGNIFICANTLY less developed and effective and helpful on the field than those guys.

RSJ was a wide receiver at A&M who tested absolutely terribly at the combine, went undrafted, and switched to TE in order to save his career. Now, it DOES appear he may have saved his career and for that I’m happy for him! But how much is he really gonna be an asset as a TE to an NFL franchise? We shall see.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:09 pm

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:32 am NFL tape is more important than college tape once NFL tape exists.
Absolutely. But 12 catches on 28 targets isn't enough of a sample yet.

Anyway,
2. Blaine Gabbert and Drew Stanton are awful, and they likely focused on the "safer" throws over the middle to the TE than more difficult throws to the outside to mediocre WRs that had trouble separating from coverage.
Makes sense.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:58 pm

Why do we call Austin Sefarian-Jenkins ASJ but we call Ricky Seals-Jones by his full name.

Entering formal petition to change Ricky Seals-Jones to RSJ and may I never have to type out that whole name again!

*edit: didn't read the whole thread before I wrote this. Apparently this is already a thing. Carry on, but d*mn I don't want to see that whole name again ha
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:03 pm

_yeti wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:58 pm Why do we call Austin Sefarian-Jenkins ASJ but we call Ricky Seals-Jones by his full name.

Entering formal petition to change Ricky Seals-Jones to RSJ and may I never have to type out that whole name again!

*edit: didn't read the whole thread before I wrote this. Apparently this is already a thing. Carry on, but d*mn I don't want to see that whole name again ha
http://www.squawka.com/news/can-you-spe ... all/550667

Maybe this will help your petition.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:37 pm

ArrylT wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:03 pm
_yeti wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:58 pm Why do we call Austin Sefarian-Jenkins ASJ but we call Ricky Seals-Jones by his full name.

http://www.squawka.com/news/can-you-spe ... all/550667

Maybe this will help your petition.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Those names would make the Key & Peele East/West College Bowl roster for sure

Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

j2cain
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby j2cain » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:00 am

gameaholica wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:56 am Cutting him.. team in sig, can only keep 10. Doesn't make the cut.
or cut webb?

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:38 pm

Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..