Jets Move Up to 3

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Re: Jets Move Up to 3

Postby FiremanEd » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:50 pm

moishetreats wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:23 pm Explore this: instead of trading up, the Jets should have traded down.

Arguably, they have more holes on their roster than any other team in the NFL. Granted that they didn't have to give up their 1st in 2019, but 3 second-round picks could translate into 2-3 potential starters for them. I would have liked to see them trading down, potentially getting another 1st in 2019 in return. They could then use their bevy of picks to round out their roster, have the inside track at pick 1.01 next year (or, worst case, have already acquired the additional picks to move up a few spots), and take their QB there.

Even if this QB hits, I don't think that the Jets have a good enough team to compete. And, without the draft picks that they gave up, it might take a couple of years to build that team. We all know what happens to good QBs whose teams around them are bereft of talent...
They tried to get the 1.01 this year and it failed. Everything was a plan to get a rookie this year, and target the 1.01, and this is where they ended up. I don't think they are any worse off than they were coming into 2017, and playing the tank for 1.01 clearly doesn't always work out, not to mention there very likely will be less QB talent in the draft. When you have the chance to get a QB you consider a franchise guy, you do it. They clearly like their options and chances.

I don't disagree that the pieces they gave up would have been nice to leverage to build the roster, but there is also value to getting to groom the guy for a year behind two high character guys. You can continue to build something around him, while also holding onto your 2019 1st (which is pretty huge). Reality is that there was no guarantee their chances next year would be any better, or cheaper. I don't expect everyone to like the deal, and at first i was sort of disappointed due to a similar mindset to what you've stated, but I've come around strictly due to the opportunity to get a guy who can help shift the franchise. The price is what it is, and such is the value of the rookie QB market, and these prospects, with so many QB hungry teams chomping to get them, most notably the asset stocked Buffalo Bills.

I agree with those who have stated that the Giants were likely approached and by nature of opting not to move down to 6th must want to at least keep their options for a QB open. The Bills will no doubt be offering 12 + 22 + 2018 2nd and maybe more, so maybe they wanted to ride out for that instead, but who knows. They have a market if they want it. I'll be shocked if they pass on a QB or don't trade to someone who wants one (Denver?). They have leverage, as do the Browns, if they want it.

Exciting offseason.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:56 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:37 pm I don’t understand these people saying teams like the browns and jets should pass up the opportunity to draft a franchise qb. You aren’t always in position to draft one, and there may be years where not a single franchise qb is in the draft class. If you can go get one you do it, it’s that simple
As per my post, I strongly agree with this. Cousins showed what happens when a legit QB becomes available in Free Agency...and not everyone gets them. Banking on the Bradfords and Keenum's isn't a route that wins championships, and you waste plenty of draft capital taking darts on lesser QB prospects otherwise as well. If you have a franchise grade on a guy, or guys, go get them when you can. Some second round picks won't be missed if you hit and you don't know when your next chance for cheaper would even be.

I'm happy that the franchise see's enough in the prospects to go in like this. Beats sitting, crossing your fingers, and/or settling*.

*I get that by being #3 and not #1 or #2 is 'settling' to some as well, but they clearly have grades that justified feeling comfortable enough to take this action. Let's be real, there is a lot that goes into these types of decisions. To give up that capital, it is an educated decision. Whether they are right or wrong in the long run, who knows, but it was the decision they made with the information and assessments available after a year of planning (started last offseason...they knew they'd be a very high pick).

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:30 pm

I think it was the right move, the jets saw the bills start to trade up possibly ready to make a jump on a QB. The jets have now secured 1of the top 3 QBs leaving the broncs and bills to fight over either the giants pick or the browns no4. I also don't think they paid too much

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:15 pm

Why does no one have chubb in play for the giants? They won a pair of super bowls on the backs of pass rushers.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Nanananananana
Starter
Starter

Postby Nanananananana » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:17 pm

I can’t imagine the Giants pick is for sale.

Eli is 37 and sucks.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:22 pm

Vcize wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:15 pm Why does no one have chubb in play for the giants? They won a pair of super bowls on the backs of pass rushers.
I mean, I wouldn't call them stupid for taking him by any means, but that's so far from a need. The one thing they DO have is a pair of very good DEs.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:57 pm

After this trade today, it looks like it will definitely be QBs at picks 1-3, who knows which player goes where. I actually really like what the Colts did, picked up two 2nd rounders and one more for 2019, just to move to 6th. They could easily still get Barkley at 1.06 or Nelson, Fitzpatrick, great trade for them.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:25 pm

Are there any players or QBs that Jets fans would be livid if they went #3 with?

I mean if they say took Barkley at 3 - or if Rosen & Darnold go 1-2 and they took Allen?
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:40 pm

Nanananananana wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:17 pm I can’t imagine the Giants pick is for sale.

Eli is 37 and sucks.
I will be pissed if they don't take a QB.

Of course I was also pissed Eli was our QB, and then he won 2 superbowls :crazy:

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:12 pm

Vcize wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:15 pm Why does no one have chubb in play for the giants? They won a pair of super bowls on the backs of pass rushers.
Because some believe they won on the back of Eli?

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:11 am

ppm wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:08 pm Interesting move. For the Giants to turn down an offer like that from the Jets their management is either inept or they're sold on a QB at #2. The Browns are also most likely to take a QB at #1. So the Jets either have some strong information about which QBs will be gone or they're fine with any of the top 3.
The Giants will NEVER do anything to help the Jets. To suggest the Jets should have traded with the Giants is absurd.

I could see the Jets trying for No. 1 pick, but 2 is not an option.

Most likely the Jets are comfortable taking 1 of 3 QBs. May be there best chance at landing a QB, that's why they took the chance.

And when is it ever bad for a QB needing team to draft a QB?

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:16 am

remedy29 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:11 am
ppm wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:08 pm Interesting move. For the Giants to turn down an offer like that from the Jets their management is either inept or they're sold on a QB at #2. The Browns are also most likely to take a QB at #1. So the Jets either have some strong information about which QBs will be gone or they're fine with any of the top 3.
The Giants will NEVER do anything to help the Jets. To suggest the Jets should have traded with the Giants is absurd.

Most likely the Jets are comfortable taking 1 of 3 QBs. May be there best chance at landing a QB, that's why they took the chance.

Glad to see you removed the mention of 'amateur analysis' considering you're stating 'NEVER' as some sort of certainty within your post. I guarantee you that if the Giants thought the deal was to their benefit and aligned with their plan, they would make a trade with the Jets. Those things may not have aligned here, but never means forever, and that's a lot of scenarios. A trade is intended to give two teams what they want, and if the Giants would get what they want, they would be fine with it. Same market or not. They aren't the same division or even Conference. How you can claim otherwise with certainty is impossible, you aren't Mara or a current/future GM.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:42 am

FiremanEd wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:16 am

Glad to see you removed the mention of 'amateur analysis' considering you're stating 'NEVER' as some sort of certainty within your post. I guarantee you that if the Giants thought the deal was to their benefit and aligned with their plan, they would make a trade with the Jets. Those things may not have aligned here, but never means forever, and that's a lot of scenarios. A trade is intended to give two teams what they want, and if the Giants would get what they want, they would be fine with it. Same market or not. They aren't the same division or even Conference. How you can claim otherwise with certainty is impossible, you aren't Mara or a current/future GM.
Are you actually from the NY area and a fan of either team? It does not sound like it. The Giants will NEVER help the Jets land a franchise QB. That is fact. Any other suggestion is foolish.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:44 am

remedy29 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:42 am
Are you actually from the NY area and a fan of either team? It does not sound like it.
I mean, his name is fireman ed...

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:06 am

remedy29 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:42 am
FiremanEd wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:16 am

Are you actually from the NY area and a fan of either team? It does not sound like it. The Giants will NEVER help the Jets land a franchise QB. That is fact. Any other suggestion is foolish.
If you say so. If the price is right and the needs align, I say the Giants do what’s in the teams best interest. You state otherwise/never (implying that if the Giants could get the #6, the two 2nds, and a 2019 1st, and didn’t even want a QB, that they would decline out of principal). I suggest that is foolish. But you’re probably right...